Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:43 PM
    Liked 2,238 Times in 1,356 Posts

Default 2011 Television season

OK it is with embarrassment that I announce that I have never seen the following shows

Lost
    Breaking Bad ( caught a few episodes here and there but couldn't connect)
    Dexter
    West Wing
    Friday Night Lights
    Mad Men

not because they were shows that I didn't like, but because I missed the hoopla surrounding them in their first season, and could not pick up on the second season

( going to do some catching up this winter tho)

so, another show that I have not watched but heard good things about is "American Horror Story"

anybody see this? Is it worth catching up on the first 5 episodes or whatever that I missed so that I don't have an entire season to catch up with or should I just move on to catch up with Dexter?
    Last edited by Daisy Hill; 11.02.11 at 04:01 PM.

survivor of the Bowling Green Massacre 9-3-2016 BGSU 10 OSU 77

She was warned. She was given an explanation. Nevertheless, she persisted.

Favorite VH Album

5150, OU812, Balance, F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

Dont have one
    Last Online

08.28.16 @ 11:47 PM
    Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts

I would suggest the new Hawaii Five-0. In my opinion, it is easily the best show on TV right now. Two and a Half Men with Ashton Kutcher is kind of hit and miss.
    Facebook http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=504401115
    YouTube http://www.youtube.com/user/jedimasterkyle

BOISE STATE BRONCOS! - They're awesome. Deal with it!

11/16/04 - VAN HALEN in Boise, Idaho. Changed my life forever

8/8/06 - Sammy Hagar and the Wabos w/Michael Anthony in Boise, Idaho. Sam and Mike still kick ass

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Respect my Wind
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 10:41 PM
    Liked 1,139 Times in 649 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Thai Boxer 9901 View Post
    I would suggest the new Hawaii Five-0. In my opinion, it is easily the best show on TV right now. Two and a Half Men with Ashton Kutcher is kind of hit and miss.
    Scott Caan (sp) has got to be the biggest douche on TV these days. Talk about nepotism, the only reason this guy isn't driving a fucking ice cream truck around is because of who his father is/was.
    "Alcoholism, is like, the only disease you can get yelled at for having" - Mitch
    Hedberg

Favorite VH Album

5150, OU812, Balance, F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

Dont have one
    Last Online

08.28.16 @ 11:47 PM
    Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Punch View Post
    Scott Caan (sp) has got to be the biggest douche on TV these days. Talk about nepotism, the only reason this guy isn't driving a fucking ice cream truck around is because of who his father is/was.
    How is he a douche? Ive always thought he was a pretty good actor and he does a great job on Five-0.
    Facebook http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=504401115
    YouTube http://www.youtube.com/user/jedimasterkyle

BOISE STATE BRONCOS! - They're awesome. Deal with it!

11/16/04 - VAN HALEN in Boise, Idaho. Changed my life forever

8/8/06 - Sammy Hagar and the Wabos w/Michael Anthony in Boise, Idaho. Sam and Mike still kick ass

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Respect my Wind
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 10:41 PM
    Liked 1,139 Times in 649 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Thai Boxer 9901 View Post
    How is he a douche? Ive always thought he was a pretty good actor and he does a great job on Five-0.
    He always has his head cocked back as if he is looking down his nose at the camera. He delivers his lines like he is holding a massive duece back. Geez, I could go on for hours about how talentless this little bitchboy is. Not to mention that his Napolean complex actually comes through in his acting as well....
    "Alcoholism, is like, the only disease you can get yelled at for having" - Mitch
    Hedberg

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 02:13 PM
    Liked 3,116 Times in 1,827 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Hill View Post
    OK it is with embarrassment that I announce that I have never seen the following shows

Lost
    Dexter
    West Wing
    Friday Night Lights
    Mad Men

not because they were shows that I didn't like, but because I missed the hoopla surrounding them in their first season, and could pick up on the second season

so, another show that I have not watched but heard good things about is "American Horror Story"

anybody see this? Is it worth catching up on the first 5 episodes or whatever that I missed so that I don't have an entire season to catch up with or should I just move on to catch up with Dexter?
    Oh man, you just rattled off some of my favorite television.

I think it depends upon what kind of television you like. Do you like episodic television? Those are shows like Lost and 24 where if you miss an episode, you're pretty much lost. Do you like serialized television? This is more traditional, in that there may be some storylines stretched across multiple episodes, but for the most part the main conflict is resolved within one episode. Do you just like good writing, be damned of the style?

Anyway, you have to be willing to buy into some mythology for Lost. If you do, however, and you mine the wealth of information online once you're done, your mind will be blown. This is hands-down my favorite series of all time. I have the entire series on DVD, and I REALLY want the whole set on Blu Ray--just don't have $180 lying around.

I don't know if there has ever been a more pulse-racing show than 24. Seasons 1-5 are top-quality television. Season 6 took a bit of a dive, but seasons 7 and 8 returned the show to form. Lots of action and suspense. In some ways, it changed television.

West Wing is one of the best-written shows ever. Aaron Sorkin has proven time and time again that he is one of the best in the business. My girlfriend doesn't even like politics and she liked the show. I know lots of libertarians and conservatives that loved the show too. Meaning: Democratic politics aside, the show was compelling. The first 4 seasons pull you into the characters enough to trudge through the first half of season 5, aka the beginning of the post-Sorkin transition. By seasons 6 and 7, kind of like 24, the show returns to form (although without the razor-sharp wit of Sorkin).

Friday Night Lights is just plain good drama. You know the characters, actors ,and writing are strong when you can be compelled over several seasons about a coach and his football team. Kyle Chandler's Eric Taylor is one of the great characters of all time. Without being blasphemous, I compare him in a way to Atticus Finch. As an aspiring teacher, his character was an inspiration. The rest of the show is almost as good as Chandler. If you let yourself get lost in the world, you'll find yourself emotionally moved by the characters and their relationships.

Dexter is another fantastic show. The first season should go down as one of the best seasons of television ever. Each season has been up and down, but John Lithgow's season (4) could be one of the great seasons as well. Most people though season 5 was a let down, and season 6 has been hit and miss so far. The overall idea is original, and that makes Dexter one of the most interesting characters on TV today.

Finally, the one you asked about American Horror Story. Much has been made about it being from the guys who did Glee, but it's also from the creator of Nip/Tuck. Therefore, it's good drama, a bit quirky, and it can get really dark. If you like a bit of mythology and don't mind horror, this is a great, great show. The writing is superb, and I get the same sort of mysterious feeling about this show as I did Lost. The house/island and its mythology, the characters, and the flashbacks really make for some drama you can immerse yourself into. Speaking of great characters on TV today, if Jessica Lange isn't nominated for a Golden Globe and an Emmy (and win one of them), then I don't know if I trust the academy of the Hollywood foreign press.

As for Dexter or AHS? Why not both?
    Last edited by lovemachine97(Version 2); 11.02.11 at 10:15 AM.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 08:52 AM
    Liked 4,807 Times in 2,454 Posts

Premium Member

If you have Showtime, try and get caught up with the show Homeland. Great drama and is considered one if not the best new series this year on TV.

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I'd give a nod to Five-O as well. Since I am out of the house on Tues,Weds and Thrusday nights til about 9, I don't watch TV much at those nights, but on Monday nights, its on CBS from 8-11...even if that Two Broke Girls show can be utter crap. Mike & Molly (the follow up show to Two and a Half Men) has taken an interesting twist this season, and a show that was only somewhat watchable last year is actually pretty damn funny now.
    11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.

Last Online

10.23.15 @ 04:49 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Lost
    Dexter
    West Wing
    Friday Night Lights
    Mad Men

not because they were shows that I didn't like, but because I missed the hoopla surrounding them in their first season, and could pick up on the second season

Daisy - I had not watched 24 until I saw my niece had the first seven seasons on DVD. She raved about it so I thought I'd give it a go. It was so fantastically good, I was immediately addicted. I burned through all seven seasons in a little over a month and by then it was about the time that season 8 (which ended up being the last season) started. That show is just WOW!

Friday Night Lights is an awesome family drama that ranks with the best. Kyle Chandler and Taylor Kitsch are beautiful eye candy as well. And Connie Britton (who is now the mom on American Horror Story) is the mom we wish we could be. Excellent show!

I loved Lost at first but I have to say, I lost interest in it with the long breaks between seasons and lots of repeat episodes, etc. Towards the end I kept watching but I was like "Get to the point, will you!!!

As for Mad Men, I am just starting to watch it and have gotten through the first season. It is like a trip down memory lane. You will cringe at the things that went on at the time. Like everyone smoking everywhere and I do mean everywhere including in the baby's bedroom. It's crazy. Excellent acting as well.

I have not caught Dexter or Breaking Bad either so I can't say anything about those shows but one that is not on your list but is my absolute favorite show right now is Sons of Anarchy. It's kind of like the Sopranos but revolves around a motor cycle gang. They are doing some bad things but there are characters that you are so drawn to that you almost forgive the bad behavior. It is in its fourth season but the first two are on Netflix to stream. The third season you have to order the DVD's. Can't say enough good things about that show.
    Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 02:13 PM
    Liked 3,116 Times in 1,827 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by ziggysmalls View Post
    If you have Showtime, try and get caught up with the show Homeland. Great drama and is considered one if not the best new series this year on TV.
    It is good. And not surprisingly it is being down by the guy responsible for many of 24's most memorable seasons.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:35 PM
    Liked 1,350 Times in 926 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Punch View Post
    He always has his head cocked back as if he is looking down his nose at the camera. He delivers his lines like he is holding a massive duece back. Geez, I could go on for hours about how talentless this little bitchboy is. Not to mention that his Napolean complex actually comes through in his acting as well....
    Those just seemed to be the kind of mannerisms his dad had, so I just took it as he inherited them. And I think he does a great job as the uptight New Jerseyite transplanted to paradise. He's starting to loosen up. I had reservations about the show (and still think they could've done it with all new characters instead of reimaging the old ones), but I'm hooked.

Wanted to watch Tim Allen's new show ("Last Man Standing") but as of yet, Brighthouse doesn't have it available OnDemand! I rarely watch any of the shows that I watch (all three of them) in real time!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:43 PM
    Liked 2,238 Times in 1,356 Posts

I love Caan on hawaii 50....he has much more personality than Alex O loughlin

he and Daniel Dae Kim make the show

although you guys are probably having too much trouble peeling your eyes away from Grace Park to notice

survivor of the Bowling Green Massacre 9-3-2016 BGSU 10 OSU 77

She was warned. She was given an explanation. Nevertheless, she persisted.

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Can we try not to get the new girl shot or blown up on her first day?

I can't make that promise.
    11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.

Favorite VH Album

WACF, Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars, Unchained, HB
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 07:55 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Ooops - double post.
    "Hey, thanks for the bracelet! Was that one for me?" - Michael Anthony to me in the Golden Ring in Grand Rapids, MI July 9, 2004
    July 9, 2004 - Mike pressed a guitar pick into my hand!
    "We're in the right place!" EVH @ The Joe in Detroit, July 10, 2004
    "Hey! What's up!?" - Mikey, upon recognizing me in the Golden Ring in Chicago after getting his second bracelet, July 21, 2004
    "What is uuuuuuuuuup!!!???" - Mike to me in Detroit, May 12th, 2005, after receiving third bracelet.
    "You found me again!" - Mike to me in Detroit, Nov. 2, 2007

Favorite VH Album

WACF, Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars, Unchained, HB
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 07:55 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I love Caan on hawaii 50....he has much more personality than Alex O loughlin

he and Daniel Dae Kim make the show

although you guys are probably having too much trouble peeling your eyes away from Grace Park to notice
    I think Alex is a good reason to watch - especially when he decides he just MUST take off his shirt. The man has gorgeous abs.

I like Scott Caan, too. I don't get the hatred toward him, but we all have our own tastes.

The only issue I really have with Hawaii 5-0 is that they seem to feel the need to explain things to the viewers, like we can't see how those clues work together ourselves.
    "Hey, thanks for the bracelet! Was that one for me?" - Michael Anthony to me in the Golden Ring in Grand Rapids, MI July 9, 2004
    July 9, 2004 - Mike pressed a guitar pick into my hand!
    "We're in the right place!" EVH @ The Joe in Detroit, July 10, 2004
    "Hey! What's up!?" - Mikey, upon recognizing me in the Golden Ring in Chicago after getting his second bracelet, July 21, 2004
    "What is uuuuuuuuuup!!!???" - Mike to me in Detroit, May 12th, 2005, after receiving third bracelet.
    "You found me again!" - Mike to me in Detroit, Nov. 2, 2007