Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 11:04 AM
    Liked 3,116 Times in 1,827 Posts

Premium Member

Default Steve Jobs to Obama: Your policies are less business friendly than China's

I thought this could partially fit under many threads, but if there is a thread this should be merged into, go right ahead.

Anyway, apparently Steve Jobs told Obama he was headed towards a "one-term Presidency" with his policies on jobs. From http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/ste...ry?id=14786074

"...Jobs was irritated when his wife, Laurene Powell, helped arrange the meeting with Obama at a hotel at the San Francisco airport. The president, she said, was "really psyched to meet you." Then he should personally ask, replied an angry Jobs. The standoff lasted five days before the meeting was set.

"When Jobs finally relented, he did not hold back. He told Obama that the United States needed to become more business-friendly if it did not want to lose its edge. He talked about how much easier it was to build a factory in China than in the U.S., where there were too many regulations and needless costs. And he complained about the U.S. education system, saying unions protected bad teachers and kept principals from hiring good ones..."

I am anxious to read this biography when it comes out. I thought this was interesting because there was news 2 weeks ago when Bill Maher warned Republicans not to claim Jobs as one of their own; he was a liberal Democrat.

Seems as if Jobs had some more conservative thoughts after all.

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

There's just too many
    Last Online

10.26.15 @ 12:38 PM
    Liked 138 Times in 79 Posts

Hmmm.... interesting. Despite the issue of costs, I'd like to hear them talk about how he's criticized for the way those factories have been run in China.

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 03:40 PM
    Liked 6,703 Times in 3,722 Posts

I think Jobs was a little full of shit in this regard. He made his products in China because they were cheaper to make there, very simple. China will allow you to overlook silly things like labour standards, environmental concerns, etc. It's one of the main reasons the Iphone has taken over from the blackberry as the #1 cel phone. While Reseach in Motion (the blackberry maker) actually employs people in Canada to assemble some of their phones, Apple's hiring Chinese workers at a small fraction of the cost. Govt's only mistake is not slapping high tariffs on these goods to make this decision a tougher one.

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

There's just too many
    Last Online

10.26.15 @ 12:38 PM
    Liked 138 Times in 79 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    I think Jobs was a little full of shit in this regard. He made his products in China because they were cheaper to make there, very simple. China will allow you to overlook silly things like labour standards, environmental concerns, etc. It's one of the main reasons the Iphone has taken over from the blackberry as the #1 cel phone. While Reseach in Motion (the blackberry maker) actually employs people in Canada to assemble some of their phones, Apple's hiring Chinese workers at a small fraction of the cost. Govt's only mistake is not slapping high tariffs on these goods to make this decision a tougher one.
    Right. For as much as people see Steve Jobs as such a great person of our time, he was still a BUSINESSMAN. He did what he had to do in order to achieve success.

Favorite VH Album

Too hard to choose
    Favorite VH Song

Too hard to choose
    Last Online

06.02.16 @ 09:13 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Interesting that so many liberals I know love this guy. I guess bc of his products, where's the integrity?

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 09:03 AM
    Liked 531 Times in 278 Posts

Exactly. While Jobs (had) a point about the US being a tough place to do business these days (especially here in California), Apple used what is almost 3rd world labor under reprehensible conditions to produce their products.

Favorite VH Album

VH I
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 03:48 PM
    Liked 594 Times in 364 Posts

Donor

Blackberry losing its spot had nothing to do with labor standards and everything to do with being too stubborn (or clueless) to evolve with the changing smartphone market. I'm not sure it would've mattered next to superior Android and iOS operating systems, anyway.

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty View Post
    Blackberry losing its spot had nothing to do with labor standards and everything to do with being too stubborn (or clueless) to evolve with the changing smartphone market. I'm not sure it would've mattered next to superior Android and iOS operating systems, anyway.
    most cel phone owners don't have a clue what the iOS operating system even is. Apple won this war via marketing & the ability to make their product at a much cheaper cost than their main competition.

That company really captures all that is right and all that is wrong with the American economic system. It shows that you still produce more than your fair share of the great business visionaries in the world but sadly today's visionaries have their products made not by the middle class of america but by a bunch of chinese slave labourers. The love of country means nothing when compared to the love of profit. Jobs is one of great business tyrants of our time who did precious little to help his fellow American (as far as jobs)and yet gets so much love. I really don't understand it.

Favorite VH Album

VH I
    Last Online

Donor

most cel phone owners don't have a clue what the iOS operating system even is. Apple won this war via marketing & the ability to make their product at a much cheaper cost than their main competition.
    That is 100 percent wrong. Blackberry lost because they were either unable or unwilling to produce more sophisticated smartphones the consumer base began demanding. Were it not for the Curve getting a foothold before the iPhone/Android explosion, it would've happened sooner than it did. The iPhone didn't even saturate rural America until Apple's exclusivity contract with AT&T ended and Verizon hopped in the sack, which was earlier this year, a long time after the device's debut. Blackberry has had plenty of chances to evolve before it was too late, but didn't.

You're right about one thing, though. The average person probably has no idea what iOS is, but they know it makes them love the iPhone.

It's about the device, Mike, not underpaid child labor. If the device sucked, it would make no difference how cheaply it was produced.

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

That is 100 percent wrong. Blackberry lost because they were either unable or unwilling to produce more sophisticated smartphones the consumer base began demanding. Were it not for the Curve getting a foothold before the iPhone/Android explosion, it would've happened sooner than it did. The iPhone didn't even saturate rural America until Apple's exclusivity contract with AT&T ended and Verizon hopped in the sack, which was earlier this year, a long time after the device's debut. Blackberry has had plenty of chances to evolve before it was too late, but didn't.

You're right about one thing, though. The average person probably has no idea what iOS is, but they know it makes them love the iPhone.

It's about the device, Mike, not underpaid child labor. If the device sucked, it would make no difference how cheaply it was produced.
    It's both. The device is great, the child labour makes it profitable.

I own an ipod, apple makes good stuff. I just think people confuse a great business man with a great man. Jobs was only one of these things.

Favorite VH Album

VH I
    Last Online

Donor

It's both. The device is great, the child labour makes it profitable.

I own an ipod, apple makes good stuff. I just think people confuse a great business man with a great man. Jobs was only one of these things.
    Do you have a detailed record of Steve's lifetime charitable donations?

You know one thing is true, you're assuming another based off a business decision you (and most reasonable people) don't agree with.

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Do you have a detailed record of Steve's lifetime charitable donations?

You know one thing is true, you're assuming another based off a business decision you (and most reasonable people) don't agree with.
    If he was charitible - we would have known about it. He's been criticized for years about it and very few have stood up to defend him. There is a reason for this. He's no Bill Gates.

Favorite VH Album

VH I
    Last Online

Donor

If he was charitible - we would have known about it. He's been criticized for years about it and very few have stood up to defend him. There is a reason for this. He's no Bill Gates.
    You don't think Microsoft employs overseas labor?

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

You don't think Microsoft employs overseas labor?
    Who said that? The difference is how the ceo uses his wealth

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 06:36 AM
    Liked 18,161 Times in 8,975 Posts

No offense to Canada, but the Blackberry is an inferior product.

Of course cost plays into it, but the Blackberry is not as good a product as the Droid or the iPhone.

Five years ago, yes, it was great, but it has not improved much since then.

My opinion is that RIM is to blame for the Blackberry losing market share to the iPhone and Droid, not cheap Chinese labor.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!