Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 56
  1. #1
    Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    06.05.03
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    13,990
    Last Online

    12.16.17 @ 11:04 AM
    Likes
    816
    Liked 3,116 Times in 1,827 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default Steve Jobs to Obama: Your policies are less business friendly than China's

    I thought this could partially fit under many threads, but if there is a thread this should be merged into, go right ahead.

    Anyway, apparently Steve Jobs told Obama he was headed towards a "one-term Presidency" with his policies on jobs. From http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/ste...ry?id=14786074

    "...Jobs was irritated when his wife, Laurene Powell, helped arrange the meeting with Obama at a hotel at the San Francisco airport. The president, she said, was "really psyched to meet you." Then he should personally ask, replied an angry Jobs. The standoff lasted five days before the meeting was set.

    "When Jobs finally relented, he did not hold back. He told Obama that the United States needed to become more business-friendly if it did not want to lose its edge. He talked about how much easier it was to build a factory in China than in the U.S., where there were too many regulations and needless costs. And he complained about the U.S. education system, saying unions protected bad teachers and kept principals from hiring good ones..."

    I am anxious to read this biography when it comes out. I thought this was interesting because there was news 2 weeks ago when Bill Maher warned Republicans not to claim Jobs as one of their own; he was a liberal Democrat.

    Seems as if Jobs had some more conservative thoughts after all.

  2. #2
    Good Enough JakeK21's Avatar
    Join Date
    08.05.11
    Age
    23
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2,288
    Favorite VH Album

    All of them
    Favorite VH Song

    There's just too many
    Last Online

    10.26.15 @ 12:38 PM
    Likes
    124
    Liked 138 Times in 79 Posts

    Default

    Hmmm.... interesting. Despite the issue of costs, I'd like to hear them talk about how he's criticized for the way those factories have been run in China.

  3. #3
    Forum Frontman It's Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.26.06
    Age
    43
    Location
    Vaughan, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    34,156
    Favorite VH Album

    like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

    12.16.17 @ 03:40 PM
    Likes
    1,320
    Liked 6,703 Times in 3,722 Posts

    Default

    I think Jobs was a little full of shit in this regard. He made his products in China because they were cheaper to make there, very simple. China will allow you to overlook silly things like labour standards, environmental concerns, etc. It's one of the main reasons the Iphone has taken over from the blackberry as the #1 cel phone. While Reseach in Motion (the blackberry maker) actually employs people in Canada to assemble some of their phones, Apple's hiring Chinese workers at a small fraction of the cost. Govt's only mistake is not slapping high tariffs on these goods to make this decision a tougher one.

  4. #4
    Good Enough JakeK21's Avatar
    Join Date
    08.05.11
    Age
    23
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2,288
    Favorite VH Album

    All of them
    Favorite VH Song

    There's just too many
    Last Online

    10.26.15 @ 12:38 PM
    Likes
    124
    Liked 138 Times in 79 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    I think Jobs was a little full of shit in this regard. He made his products in China because they were cheaper to make there, very simple. China will allow you to overlook silly things like labour standards, environmental concerns, etc. It's one of the main reasons the Iphone has taken over from the blackberry as the #1 cel phone. While Reseach in Motion (the blackberry maker) actually employs people in Canada to assemble some of their phones, Apple's hiring Chinese workers at a small fraction of the cost. Govt's only mistake is not slapping high tariffs on these goods to make this decision a tougher one.
    Right. For as much as people see Steve Jobs as such a great person of our time, he was still a BUSINESSMAN. He did what he had to do in order to achieve success.

  5. #5
    Good Enough pal1800's Avatar
    Join Date
    10.30.07
    Age
    46
    Location
    Mandeville, LA
    Posts
    1,731
    Favorite VH Album

    Too hard to choose
    Favorite VH Song

    Too hard to choose
    Last Online

    06.02.16 @ 09:13 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Interesting that so many liberals I know love this guy. I guess bc of his products, where's the integrity?

  6. #6
    Good Enough
    Join Date
    01.07.05
    Posts
    1,790
    Last Online

    12.16.17 @ 09:03 AM
    Likes
    73
    Liked 531 Times in 278 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    I think Jobs was a little full of shit in this regard. He made his products in China because they were cheaper to make there, very simple. China will allow you to overlook silly things like labour standards, environmental concerns, etc. It's one of the main reasons the Iphone has taken over from the blackberry as the #1 cel phone. While Reseach in Motion (the blackberry maker) actually employs people in Canada to assemble some of their phones, Apple's hiring Chinese workers at a small fraction of the cost. Govt's only mistake is not slapping high tariffs on these goods to make this decision a tougher one.
    Exactly. While Jobs (had) a point about the US being a tough place to do business these days (especially here in California), Apple used what is almost 3rd world labor under reprehensible conditions to produce their products.

  7. #7
    Outta Space Cowboy Scotty's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.07.02
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    11,023
    Favorite VH Album

    VH I
    Last Online

    12.16.17 @ 03:48 PM
    Likes
    245
    Liked 594 Times in 364 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    I think Jobs was a little full of shit in this regard. He made his products in China because they were cheaper to make there, very simple. China will allow you to overlook silly things like labour standards, environmental concerns, etc. It's one of the main reasons the Iphone has taken over from the blackberry as the #1 cel phone. While Reseach in Motion (the blackberry maker) actually employs people in Canada to assemble some of their phones, Apple's hiring Chinese workers at a small fraction of the cost. Govt's only mistake is not slapping high tariffs on these goods to make this decision a tougher one.
    Blackberry losing its spot had nothing to do with labor standards and everything to do with being too stubborn (or clueless) to evolve with the changing smartphone market. I'm not sure it would've mattered next to superior Android and iOS operating systems, anyway.

  8. #8
    Forum Frontman It's Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.26.06
    Age
    43
    Location
    Vaughan, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    34,156
    Favorite VH Album

    like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

    12.16.17 @ 03:40 PM
    Likes
    1,320
    Liked 6,703 Times in 3,722 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty View Post
    Blackberry losing its spot had nothing to do with labor standards and everything to do with being too stubborn (or clueless) to evolve with the changing smartphone market. I'm not sure it would've mattered next to superior Android and iOS operating systems, anyway.
    most cel phone owners don't have a clue what the iOS operating system even is. Apple won this war via marketing & the ability to make their product at a much cheaper cost than their main competition.

    That company really captures all that is right and all that is wrong with the American economic system. It shows that you still produce more than your fair share of the great business visionaries in the world but sadly today's visionaries have their products made not by the middle class of america but by a bunch of chinese slave labourers. The love of country means nothing when compared to the love of profit. Jobs is one of great business tyrants of our time who did precious little to help his fellow American (as far as jobs)and yet gets so much love. I really don't understand it.

  9. #9
    Outta Space Cowboy Scotty's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.07.02
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    11,023
    Favorite VH Album

    VH I
    Last Online

    12.16.17 @ 03:48 PM
    Likes
    245
    Liked 594 Times in 364 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    most cel phone owners don't have a clue what the iOS operating system even is. Apple won this war via marketing & the ability to make their product at a much cheaper cost than their main competition.
    That is 100 percent wrong. Blackberry lost because they were either unable or unwilling to produce more sophisticated smartphones the consumer base began demanding. Were it not for the Curve getting a foothold before the iPhone/Android explosion, it would've happened sooner than it did. The iPhone didn't even saturate rural America until Apple's exclusivity contract with AT&T ended and Verizon hopped in the sack, which was earlier this year, a long time after the device's debut. Blackberry has had plenty of chances to evolve before it was too late, but didn't.

    You're right about one thing, though. The average person probably has no idea what iOS is, but they know it makes them love the iPhone.

    It's about the device, Mike, not underpaid child labor. If the device sucked, it would make no difference how cheaply it was produced.

  10. #10
    Forum Frontman It's Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.26.06
    Age
    43
    Location
    Vaughan, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    34,156
    Favorite VH Album

    like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

    12.16.17 @ 03:40 PM
    Likes
    1,320
    Liked 6,703 Times in 3,722 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty View Post
    That is 100 percent wrong. Blackberry lost because they were either unable or unwilling to produce more sophisticated smartphones the consumer base began demanding. Were it not for the Curve getting a foothold before the iPhone/Android explosion, it would've happened sooner than it did. The iPhone didn't even saturate rural America until Apple's exclusivity contract with AT&T ended and Verizon hopped in the sack, which was earlier this year, a long time after the device's debut. Blackberry has had plenty of chances to evolve before it was too late, but didn't.

    You're right about one thing, though. The average person probably has no idea what iOS is, but they know it makes them love the iPhone.

    It's about the device, Mike, not underpaid child labor. If the device sucked, it would make no difference how cheaply it was produced.
    It's both. The device is great, the child labour makes it profitable.

    I own an ipod, apple makes good stuff. I just think people confuse a great business man with a great man. Jobs was only one of these things.

  11. #11
    Outta Space Cowboy Scotty's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.07.02
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    11,023
    Favorite VH Album

    VH I
    Last Online

    12.16.17 @ 03:48 PM
    Likes
    245
    Liked 594 Times in 364 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    It's both. The device is great, the child labour makes it profitable.

    I own an ipod, apple makes good stuff. I just think people confuse a great business man with a great man. Jobs was only one of these things.
    Do you have a detailed record of Steve's lifetime charitable donations?

    You know one thing is true, you're assuming another based off a business decision you (and most reasonable people) don't agree with.

  12. #12
    Forum Frontman It's Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.26.06
    Age
    43
    Location
    Vaughan, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    34,156
    Favorite VH Album

    like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

    12.16.17 @ 03:40 PM
    Likes
    1,320
    Liked 6,703 Times in 3,722 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty View Post
    Do you have a detailed record of Steve's lifetime charitable donations?

    You know one thing is true, you're assuming another based off a business decision you (and most reasonable people) don't agree with.
    If he was charitible - we would have known about it. He's been criticized for years about it and very few have stood up to defend him. There is a reason for this. He's no Bill Gates.

  13. #13
    Outta Space Cowboy Scotty's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.07.02
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    11,023
    Favorite VH Album

    VH I
    Last Online

    12.16.17 @ 03:48 PM
    Likes
    245
    Liked 594 Times in 364 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    If he was charitible - we would have known about it. He's been criticized for years about it and very few have stood up to defend him. There is a reason for this. He's no Bill Gates.
    You don't think Microsoft employs overseas labor?

  14. #14
    Forum Frontman It's Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.26.06
    Age
    43
    Location
    Vaughan, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    34,156
    Favorite VH Album

    like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

    12.16.17 @ 03:40 PM
    Likes
    1,320
    Liked 6,703 Times in 3,722 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty View Post
    You don't think Microsoft employs overseas labor?
    Who said that? The difference is how the ceo uses his wealth

  15. #15
    Atomic Punk Dave's Dreidel's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.10.05
    Age
    47
    Location
    Kate Upton's Closet
    Posts
    37,924
    Favorite VH Album

    Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

    The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

    12.16.17 @ 06:36 AM
    Likes
    3,510
    Liked 18,161 Times in 8,975 Posts

    Default

    No offense to Canada, but the Blackberry is an inferior product.

    Of course cost plays into it, but the Blackberry is not as good a product as the Droid or the iPhone.

    Five years ago, yes, it was great, but it has not improved much since then.

    My opinion is that RIM is to blame for the Blackberry losing market share to the iPhone and Droid, not cheap Chinese labor.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

    Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

    David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

    Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

    Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

    DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Steve Jobs says Taking LSD Helped Him be More Creative
    By Bullwinkle in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10.08.11, 05:15 PM
  2. Steve Jobs has died
    By Mikey Metalhead in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 10.08.11, 07:26 AM
  3. Jobs plan will 'jump-start' hiring, Obama says
    By voivod in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 12.09.09, 01:45 AM
  4. Steve Savicki's friendly BUT IMPORTANT reminder
    By Steve Savicki in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04.28.02, 12:28 PM
  5. Steve Savicki's friendly, but important reminder
    By Steve Savicki in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03.03.02, 11:47 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •