Register
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Default "the rest of our troops will come home by the end of the year"

Obama: 'America's war in Iraq will be over' at year's end

[Updated at 1:13 p.m. ET]
    U.S. President Barack Obama, announcing Friday that "the rest of our troops will come home by the end of the year," said: "After nearly nine years, America's war in Iraq will be over."

The new partnership with Iraq will be "strong and enduring" after U.S. troops leave the country, Obama said in the White House briefing room. The United States will continue its interest in a strong, stable Iraq after U.S. troops leave, the president said.

"Today I can say that our troops in Iraq will definitely be home for the holidays," Obama said.

About 39,000 U.S. troops are in Iraq, and the U.S. had wanted to keep from 3,000 to 5,000 troops in Iraq past 2011 to aid in training and security. But the current Status of Forces Agreement with Iraq dictates the U.S. troops leave by year's end, and the United States and Iraq had been unable to come to an agreement on key issues regarding legal immunity for U.S. troops who would remain in Iraq, effectively ending discussion of maintaining a significant American force presence beyond 2011.

Of the 39,000 troops in Iraq, only about 150, a negligible force, will remain to assist in arms sales.

The negotiations were strained following WikiLeaks' release of a diplomatic cable that alleged Iraqi civilians, including children, were killed in a 2006 raid by American troops rather than in an airstrike as initially reported by the U.S. military.

U.S. troops have already started the drawdown - a brigade from Fort Bliss, Texas, that was originally scheduled to be among the very last to leave Iraq was being pulled out of the country months ahead of its planned departure, military officials told CNN last week.

[Updated at 12:47 p.m. ET] The scheduled departure of virtually all U.S. troops from Iraq by the end of the year will allow the United States to "say definitively that the Iraq war is over," a White House official said Friday.

[Initial post] Virtually all U.S. troops will be out of Iraq by the end of the year as the current Status of Forces Agreement with Iraq dictates, a U.S. official told CNN Friday.

A small number of U.S. troops will be attached to the U.S. Embassy in Baghdad.

This month, the United States and Iraq had been unable to come to an agreement on key issues regarding legal immunity for U.S. troops who would remain in Iraq after the end of the year, effectively ending discussion of maintaining a significant American force presence beyond 2011.

About 39,000 U.S. troops are in Iraq, and the U.S. wanted to keep from 3,000 to 5,000 troops in Iraq past 2011.

U.S. President Barack Obama is expected to make a statement about Iraq around 12:45 p.m. Friday, according to a White House official.
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack. -- Gen. George S. Patton

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

Obama: Iraq war will be over by year's end; all troops coming home

http://www.cnn.com/2011/10/21/world/...ops/index.html
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack. -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

Complete Zero
    Favorite VH Song

Lets Get Rockin
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 03:21 AM
    Liked 1,862 Times in 731 Posts

Donor

It's about fuckin time.

There goes the unemployment rate!
    I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass.

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 03:13 PM
    Liked 6,699 Times in 3,719 Posts

this is excellent news

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 03:13 PM
    Liked 18,157 Times in 8,973 Posts

About ten years too late if you ask me. Should never have fucking been there in the first place.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

There's just too many
    Last Online

10.26.15 @ 12:38 PM
    Liked 138 Times in 79 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    About ten years too late if you ask me. Should never have fucking been there in the first place.
    +1. But at least it's finally being done.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 06:29 PM
    Liked 1,348 Times in 925 Posts

Glad they're coming home and all, but the cynic in me can't help but think "just in time for election season"

Favorite VH Album

all of them
    Favorite VH Song

If its Eddie, its Van Halen
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:20 AM
    Liked 527 Times in 242 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by billy007 View Post
    Glad they're coming home and all, but the cynic in me can't help but think "just in time for election season"
    Well Obama did promise this would happen in his last campaign. A politician who kept a promise? That is pretty damn cool!
    'Old Van Halen, when I was in it-classic Van Halen-makes you wanna drink, dance and screw, right? And the new Van Halen encourages you to drink milk, drive a Nissan and have a relationship.' - David Lee Roth.

Last Online

10.09.15 @ 09:03 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

It is indeed about fucking time, unbelievable they wanted to keep 3-5k there long term. Only reason they are withdrawing is cause the Iraqi gov't won't give the troops immunity. Its amazing, if you give certain people what they want there is no end to these things. They become so obsessed that they can't see the forrest from the trees.

"out of the seven threads he's started here, four have been closed for being cluelessly ponderous as well as outright insipid"
    -chefcraig on me

Favorite VH Album

('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 12:11 PM
    Liked 1,033 Times in 543 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Eddymon View Post
    Well Obama did promise this would happen in his last campaign. A politician who kept a promise? That is pretty damn cool!

"A draft of that agreement from October 2008 shows significant concessions from the U.S. side. For instance, the Bush administration agreed to a total withdrawal of U.S. troops from Iraq by the end of 2011."
    VH with Dave ('78-'84) - The best years....the "real" VH.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.
    VH with Gary ('98) - Fucking disaster. WTF was that??
    VH with Wolf/Dave ('12-'15) - Amazing comeback. Smokin' album and tours.

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 03:21 PM
    Liked 1,483 Times in 1,012 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Double Down View Post
    "A draft of that agreement from October 2008 shows significant concessions from the U.S. side. For instance, the Bush administration agreed to a total withdrawal of U.S. troops from Iraq by the end of 2011."
    This sort of applies to Billy's post also. It's a move that was planned to happen a while back and so I don't think it's an election move.

Favorite VH Album

Complete Zero
    Favorite VH Song

Lets Get Rockin
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 03:21 AM
    Liked 1,862 Times in 731 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by rocknblues81 View Post
    This sort of applies to Billy's post also. It's a move that was planned to happen a while back and so I don't think it's an election move.
    Don't be mistaken, everything is a political move. Last week Obama told people at one of his bus stops that republicans want people to drink dirty water and breath dirty air. The same people that actually believed that will also believe him when he says HE brought the troops home. Then those same people will vote for him again.
    I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass.

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Double Down View Post
    Which the ObamaKneePadders will ignore...

Last Online

12.14.17 @ 09:23 PM
    Liked 93 Times in 37 Posts

Sure is about time, and what do we have to show for it? 4000+ troops killed, 33000+ wounded, all to protect us from Saddam's weapons of mass destruction. We should have never been there in the first place, but we should have definitely pulled out when they were having their civil war. Just get out and allow the various religious factions to all kill each other. Bush, Cheney, and Rumsfeld (and perhaps others) should be facing a war crimes tribunal for this mess. That will of course never happen but these multimillionaires still won't be doing a lot of international travel ever again if they have any sense. And I say this as someone who had voted Republican ever since the second Reagan term when I was old enough to vote (just missed his first term). When I see all of these soldiers who have had limbs blown off due to IED's it just makes me sick to my stomach. Then of course you have the families where the father was killed and the young children barely saw them. Their lives and the lives of their families were changed forever, and for absolutely no reason at all. Sure they signed up for a dangerous job, but they also trusted that their leaders would only put them in harm's way when absolutely necessary.