Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 06:34 PM
    Liked 2,238 Times in 1,356 Posts

Default Lions Tigers and Bears loose in Ohio

Oh my! we do have rather lax laws concerning the ownership of these kinds of animals, but I think there will be a closer look at the recent laws passed in light of this event

Owner found dead on Muskingum County preserve
    WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 19, 2011 09:29 AM

By Josh Jarman , Jim Woods and Brenda Jackson
    ZANESVILLE, Ohio — Dozens of wild animals — from bears to lions to wolves — were running loose in Muskingum County yesterday, apparently set free from their cages. Meanwhile, the man who owned the animals was found dead on the wildlife preserve that he ran, authorities said.

What happened to Terry Thompson — and how his animals were all set free — went unanswered last night, as deputies continued to try to round up the creatures. Those that they cornered, they shot, Muskingum County Sheriff Matt Lutz said. “Our first responsibility is to protect the public,” Lutz said.

Late last night, Lutz said deputies had killed at least 25 animals, and the sheriff’s office had cordoned off about 5 to 7 square miles in the county. The deputies were being assisted by the State Highway Patrol, authorities from the Columbus Zoo and Aquarium and the Wilds, the state Division of Wildlife, the county Emergency Management Agency and township fire departments. A plan to bring in a patrol helicopter with a thermal-imaging camera to find animals was scuttled last night by stormy weather.

Zanesville, West Muskingum and Maysville school districts, as well as Muskingum County Starlight School, all canceled classes for Wednesday to keep children inside. Lutz also recommends that residents remain inside today and call 911 if any wild animal is seen.Lutz said the incident began about 5:30 p.m., when the sheriff’s office began receiving calls that wild animals were running loose in the area of Kopchak Road, which is in Falls Township and just west of Zanesville.

Lutz said that four deputies with assault rifles in a pickup truck immediately went to 270 Kopchak Rd., where a 46-acre “wild-animal-rescue farm” owned by Thompson borders I-70. There, Lutz said, they found Thompson dead outside his house and “every single animal-cage door open.”Lutz said the deputies saw a number of animals standing outside their cages, still on the property, while others had escaped a fence that surrounds Thompson’s property. Deputies immediately began shooting animals, he said It’s unclear how many had gotten beyond the fence, which Lutz said isn’t designed to keep in wild animals.

Lutz said a man who is a caretaker on the animal preserve told deputies that 48 animals lived in cages outside the house on the property. More animals — mostly monkeys, baboons and apes — lived inside Thompson’s house, the man said. Those inside the house were still in the cages, Lutz said. The animals that were set loose included grizzly and black bears, wolves, and several species of large cats, including lions, tigers and cheetahs, among other creatures.

Late last night, there was a report of a wolf and a bear still roaming at least 4 miles from the farm property.

The Licking County Sheriff’s Office also received at least four phone calls from residents reporting exotic-animal sightings. SWAT officers with night-vision equipment were searching for animals in Licking County early this morning. Lutz said Muskingum County deputies had fatally shot and killed at least 25 animals when they first drove to the property. A wolf and bear also reportedly were killed along I-70. He said that officials from the Columbus Zoo and The Wilds came in shortly after the discovery with tranquilizer guns, hoping to capture some animals alive.

Lutz refused to say how Thompson died.

Thompson, 62, was released from federal prison just three weeks ago, after serving a one-year term.The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives had raided Thompson’s Kopchak Road property in June 2008, seizing more than 100 guns. In April 2010, Thompson pleaded guilty in U.S. District Court in Columbus to two federal charges: possession of a machine gun and possession of short firearms without serial numbers. Under terms of his release, Thompson was confined to his home for a year.

Thompson also was convicted in Muskingum County Municipal Court in 2005 of cruelty to animals, having an animal at large and two counts of rendering animal waste without a license. The charges stemmed from allegations that three cows and a bison had died on another property he owned, on Boggs Road in Perry Township, east of Zanesville. Neighbors there had lodged numerous complaints about him letting his animals wander. Thompson was put on house arrest for six months and paid a $2,870 fine in that case. He also was ordered to move his animals to his Kopchak Road land.

Ohio has no rules regulating the sale and ownership of exotic animals.

Former Gov. Ted Strickland had attempted to enforce such a law, but Gov. John Kasich allowed an executive order to expire. “There really needs to be some legislation changed on how these things are going on in the state of Ohio,” Lutz said.

Kate Riley, 20, who lives in western Muskingum County, said that Thompson has had lions, tigers and a bear get loose in the past. Riley’s family owns a feed cattle farm nearby and said that Thompson would come and take their dead cows to feed his lions. “He’d have claw marks all over him,” she said. Riley said she understands that Thompson’s wife, Marian, recently left her husband and moved out.

Patti Peters, a spokeswoman for the Columbus Zoo, said staff members were at a dinner last night for the International Rhino Foundation when they heard about the incident. Five staff members from the zoo and the Wilds immediately went to help, she said.

Larry Hostetler, executive director of the Animal Shelter Society of Muskingum County, said the sheriff’s office and state officials had visited the Kopchak Road property in 2008 on a complaint that animals weren’t being taken care of there. The inspection, however, found acceptable treatment, Hostetler said.

Adelbert G. Kempf Jr, a retired veterinarian in Heath, said he inspected Thompson’s horses that day. He said thatThompson told him that he was running a rescue operation for horses.

“ He was far from that,” Hostetler said. “He was more of an animal collector.”

At one point, Thompson took three lion cubs to New York City for a photo shoot with model Heidi Klum. On another occasion, he brought animals to a 2007 community pet fair in Muskingum County. Thompson and his wife brought bear cubs, lions cubs and a baby ape, Hostetler said.

He said the wild animals disrupted the fair because they weren’t friendly.

“We had to change the advertisement in following years to say bring your domestic pets,” Hostetler said. “He was a piece of work.”
    Last edited by Daisy Hill; 10.19.11 at 06:59 AM.

survivor of the Bowling Green Massacre 9-3-2016 BGSU 10 OSU 77

She was warned. She was given an explanation. Nevertheless, she persisted.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 09:55 AM
    Liked 414 Times in 249 Posts

I don't know what I'd think/do if I looked out my living room window and saw a cheetah (or lion/tiger) on my front lawn.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 05:40 PM
    Liked 6,706 Times in 3,725 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MF5150 View Post
    I don't know what I'd think/do if I looked out my living room window and saw a cheetah (or lion/tiger) on my front lawn.
    you'd stay the hell inside. that's my guess.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 09:55 AM
    Liked 414 Times in 249 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    you'd stay the hell inside. that's my guess.
    Stay inside and cancel my subscription to Animal Planet HD.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Whoever the person, or people that killed this guy, let loose the animals to distract from the attention of his murder...
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack. -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 02:36 PM
    Liked 1,350 Times in 926 Posts

Can't believe they just shot and killed so many of the animals instead of trying to capture them and get them someplace more appropriate.

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

There's just too many
    Last Online

10.26.15 @ 12:38 PM
    Liked 138 Times in 79 Posts

I'm actually surprised the cops are allowed to shoot the animals. You'd think that they would be required to set up traps to capture them.

"DAM nature, u scary!"

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by billy007 View Post
    Can't believe they just shot and killed so many of the animals instead of trying to capture them and get them someplace more appropriate.
    it was dark and the weather here was terrible last night high winds and heavy rains

they wanted to fly helicopters with thermal devices but they were grounded and Jack Hanna was there to help, but even he admitted that to try to tranquilize when they would not be able to find the animals after they were shot was not effective.

this guy should never have been allowed to possess these animals anyway.

but I wish there had been a better way to handle it. what a waste

but there is a guy in England who has recipes.....and thanksgiving is coming...so maybe the community food bank with have a bear feed for the holidays

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 02:18 PM
    Liked 6,849 Times in 3,587 Posts

Premium Member

I don't know if they've gotten all the animals yet, but if not, it will be interesting to see if any reporters are live on the scene tonight on the local news.

Harry Boomer and his big hat running into a wolf of bear would make for some great TV.

Favorite VH Album

Complete Zero
    Favorite VH Song

Lets Get Rockin
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 02:06 PM
    Liked 1,862 Times in 731 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by voivod View Post
    Whoever the person, or people that killed this guy, let loose the animals to distract from the attention of his murder...
    News said he committed suicide.
    I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Runnin' With the Devil
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 09:42 AM
    Liked 34 Times in 14 Posts

It had to have been a bizarre scene for the officers. One minute they're at a donut shop or settling a domestic disturbance, the next minute they're running around the woods firing on tigers like it's some half-ass safari.

Last Online

10.23.15 @ 04:49 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Hill View Post
    it was dark and the weather here was terrible last night high winds and heavy rains

they wanted to fly helicopters with thermal devices but they were grounded and Jack Hanna was there to help, but even he admitted that to try to tranquilize when they would not be able to find the animals after they were shot was not effective.

this guy should never have been allowed to possess these animals anyway.

but I wish there had been a better way to handle it. what a waste

but there is a guy in England who has recipes.....and thanksgiving is coming...so maybe the community food bank with have a bear feed for the holidays
    It's incredibly sad. These animals have done nothing but exist and since some lunatic decided to have his own personal zoo then kill himself, they have to die. Makes me sick to my stomach.
    Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

yup...the guy had no business owning these animals and the VERY LEAST he could have done for them in exchange for whatever joy or satisfaction he got from owning them is to make sure that their lives were safe and their well being taken care of before he offed himself

that shouldn't have been too much to ask

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 02:18 PM
    Liked 6,849 Times in 3,587 Posts

Premium Member

Nice long piece on this event on 19 Action News. But I can't hear it... got the Chickenfoot cranked and tipping some ice cold Yuengling's.

Jack Hanna will be on at 4:30 PM

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by voivod View Post
    so much for my conspiracy theory...
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack. -- Gen. George S. Patton