Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Default Texas High School Students Made to Recite Mexican Pledge of Allegiance

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/blaz...of-allegiance/

The Blaze reports on an exciting development in multi-cultural outreach from the Achieve Early College High School in McAllen, Texas:

Students in a Texas public high school were made to stand up and recite the Mexican national anthem and Mexican pledge of allegiance as part of a Spanish class assignment, but the school district maintains there was nothing wrong with the lesson.

Wearing red, white and green, students had to memorize the Mexican anthem and pledge and stand up and recite them in individually in front of the class.

Do they teach other languages at this high school? Do the other classes dress up and pledge allegiance to the mother countries of their native tongues? For that matter, when did Mexico become the mother country of Spanish? Shouldn’t they have been reciting the national anthem of Spain? (Actually, La Marcha Real doesn’t have any official words, and even the most multi-culti education cultists probably don’t want to use the lyrics Franco came up with.)

Sophomore Brenda Brinsdon refused to participate, and wisely recorded the incident on video:

Brinsdon noted the timing on this little exercise added an extra layer of outrage:

She said she was particularly offended because the presentations in teacher Reyna Santos’s class took place during “Freedom Week,” the week after the 10th anniversary of the Sept. 11 terror attacks, and on U.S. Constitution Day — the same day as Mexico’s Independence Day.

“Why are we doing their independence when it‘s Freedom Week and it’s also Constitution Day?” Brinsdon said.

Why indeed? For asking that question, Brinsdon won an “alternative assignment” to write “an essay on the history of the Mexican revolution.” It sounds like her teacher should be forced to write an essay on the American revolution, on her way out the door to an exciting career as anything but a teacher.

This was all justified by the school district as great way to “gain knowledge and understanding of other cultures.” Sane people would stop this process somewhere short of pledging allegiance to the other culture.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 06:36 AM
    Liked 18,160 Times in 8,975 Posts

Do we realize how fucked up all these other cultures are that we seem to teach in school as being better than ours?

Most schools don't even allow the the US Pledge of Allegiance in school anymore, but we teach and recite the Mexican one?

I agree with teaching a second language, but damn, c'mon.

Move that teacher to Mexico for a few years, she would be fucking begging to get back.

This shit pisses me off.

We are so fucking stupid in this country.

Mexico is a shit hole of a country with some nice vacation spots. There is a reason millions of them have tried to get in here illegally.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 05:59 AM
    Liked 1,350 Times in 926 Posts

we are just bound and determined to give this country away.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Respect my Wind
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 11:19 AM
    Liked 1,139 Times in 649 Posts

"Voivod....better than coffee in the morning". I seriously need to think about clicking on your topics in the morning....
    "Alcoholism, is like, the only disease you can get yelled at for having" - Mitch
    Hedberg

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 09:55 AM
    Liked 414 Times in 249 Posts

I'm sorry but I couldn't get past the name of the school: The Achieve Early College High School.

My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Punch View Post
    "Voivod....better than coffee in the morning". I seriously need to think about clicking on your topics in the morning....
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by MF5150 View Post
    I'm sorry but I couldn't get past the name of the school: The Achieve Early College High School.

interesting... in a positive way though...

Early College High School
    In 2008, McAllen ISD unveiled the Achieve Early College High School. These students are based on a college campus and, through dual enrollment, can actually graduate from high school with an Associate’s Degree.

The Early College High School concept blends high school and college in a rigorous program, compressing the time it takes to complete a high school diploma and the first two years of college. In short, it saves time and money.

In fact, the Achieve ECHS has 65 seniors on track to complete an Associate’s Degree in spring 2012. The courses of study include Associate’s of Science (Biology, Engineering, Pre-Pharmacy, Chemistry, Math & more) and Associate’s of Arts (Interdisciplinary, Criminal Justice, Business & more).

McAllen ISD offers the only Early College High School housed on South Texas College's main campus on Pecan Blvd. in McAllen. It is also the Valley’s only ECHS to be rated Exemplary on the State Accountability Rating System for three straight years.

Since 2002, the partner organizations of the Early College High School Initiative have started or redesigned more than 230 schools in 28 states and the District of Columbia.The schools are designed so that low-income youth, first-generation college goers, English language learners, students of color, and other young people underrepresented in higher education can simultaneously earn a high school diploma and an Associate’s degree or up to two years of credit toward a Bachelor’s degree—tuition free.

About McAllen ISD
    We offer choice—an International Baccalaureate Programme that provides students with a highly rigorous curriculum set to global standards, a comprehensive high school that offers students Advanced Placement college-level instruction in our high school classrooms, a concurrent enrollment program with students attending a local university or college, and a dual enrollment program with students acquiring credit at both levels (high school and university) simultaneously. Through a special agreement with a local institution of higher learning, our students may also enroll in one of a multitude of specialized academies: DEMSA (Dual Enrollment Medical Science Academy), DEEA (Dual Enrollment Engineering Academy) or the DECSA (Dual Enrollment Computer Science Academy). These programs put students on a path to earn specific Associates Degrees even before they finish high school! This also goes for students in the Achieve Early College High School. McAllen ISD offers the only ECHS in the Valley that is based at a college campus. These students will also hold an Associates Degree by the time they graduate high school. Furthermore, there are three-year plans for early graduates and a Career Technical Education Program that offers licensures and certifications in seven different disciplines.

Along with this comes a wealth of enrichment offerings like a widely acclaimed fine arts program, a highly touted athletics program, and student organizations to accommodate every child’s interest and well-being.

How do we measure success?
    McAllen ISD received a Gold Performance Acknowledgement for College Readiness from the State in 2009-10 and 2010-11. With renewed vigor on how the lessons are taught and how the data is analyzed through a highly respected INOVA Program--a business approach to the business of learning –the district can step it up even more. It’s data that teachers have taken to heart as they gain specialized insight into how they can challenge students at every level to gain more knowledge. It’s about adding value for every student with high expectations in the classroom.

Basic Facts
    •25,164 students
    •34 campuses
    •3,347 employees
    •1,655 teachers
    •A School Board committed to the success and well-being of children
    •A balanced budget

McAllen ISD has a long tradition of setting the bar. We have a globally-recognized advanced academics program that draws the attention of universities across the country. We are about excellence that produces results—students who are accomplished, well-rounded, and ready to take on the world.

Our Vision
    The McAllen Independent School District (MISD) is a multicultural community in which students are enthusiastically and actively engaged in the learning process. Students demonstrate academic excellence in a safe, nurturing and challenging environment enhanced by technology and the contributions of the total community.

Our Mission
    The mission of the McAllen Independent School District (MISD) is to educate all students to become lifelong learners and productive citizens in a global society through a program of educational excellence utilizing technology and actively involving parents and the community.

Our Goals
    1.Rigorous and relevant instructional programs
    2.Resources to protect the instructional core
    3.Support systems to ensure students, teacher, and principal achievements
    4.Services and products to meet campus needs
    5.Board of Trustees/superintendent maintain focus on student achievement
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

At least it has all that to back up it's pretentious sounding name. Quite the high school.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 11:04 AM
    Liked 3,116 Times in 1,827 Posts

Premium Member

I'm not sure I see what the big deal is here. The students are in a a Spanish class. Part of learning a language is learning about the culture. If you looked at our culture, you'd see that the pledge, the flag, and the national anthem are a big part of it. I'm sure many other countries are the same.

Some schools have multi-cultural weeks or celebrations where they serve ethnic food and have crafts and dance, and often times the language classes, along with the choirs, sing the national anthems of the different countries.

You could take a part of almost ANY teacher's lesson out of context and make it seem weird. I have read Dr. Seuss to 9th graders and There's a Monster at the End of This Book featuring Lovable, Furry, Old Grover to 7th graders. Take that out of context and it seems like I am doing whatever the fuck I want.

Let's put it this way. When I took Spanish in high school, I had terrible teachers. For Spanish I I had a teacher that did not get rehired. She barely taught us anything, and if we got her started talking about her boyfriend or her "acting career," then nothing got done that day.

Luckily, I had a teacher for Spanish II who was counting the days until retirement, so my lack of preknowledge did not count against me. We did translations every night for homework, except that he just checked that you did it--we quickly realized we could turn the same translation in over and over and over and over....

...and what was our final? Do Spanish tongue-twisters as a class and sing Julio Iglesias' Tu y Yo as a class. Did we know what any of it meant? Where we made to do it individually? NOPE.

So if these kids, for a one-day thing, learned the Spanish Nat'l Anthem and Pledge and learned what it means, I think they're getting a much better second-language education than I got.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

I agree. In my opinion the girl who didn't want to recite it, shouldn't have even been given a choice of an "alternative" assignment. This wasn't the teacher trying to force the students to recite the Anthem and Pledge, for some anti-American reason. It was a SPANISH class and it was relevant.

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 10:37 AM
    Liked 6,703 Times in 3,722 Posts

when i took a course in American history they didn't ask me to sing the American national anthem and to recite the pledge of allegiance.

Even if you think there's nothing wrong with doing this things, the school should have known that doing something like this could look very bad.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    when i took a course in American history they didn't ask me to sing the American national anthem and to recite the pledge of allegiance.

Even if you think there's nothing wrong with doing this things, the school should have known that doing something like this could look very bad.
    But if your teacher had asked you to, as it was part of her curriculum, would you have?
    Last edited by MF5150; 10.18.11 at 09:03 AM.

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 10:37 AM
    Liked 6,703 Times in 3,722 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MF5150 View Post
    But if your teacher had asked you to, as it was part of her curriculum, would you have?
    sure, it's not like I'd be pledging allegiance to nazi germany. I like America - no big deal. I also sing along to the US national anthem sometimes. But the point is that it shouldn't be part of the curriculum. Dumb idea. Especially considering the political landscape in the States currently.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    sure, it's not like I'd be pledging allegiance to nazi germany. I like America - no big deal. I also sing along to the US national anthem sometimes. But the point is that it shouldn't be part of the curriculum. Dumb idea. Especially considering the political landscape in the States currently.
    Fair enough. I just don't see how it is any different than, if on a written test, the teacher made the students write out the Spanish anthem or Pledge. It's an assignment. That's it.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 05:59 AM
    Liked 1,350 Times in 926 Posts

Would you recite bible passages, MF?

This teacher is asking students to stand up and pledge allegiance to another country. Sorry, but that's wrong. You can study another country's pledge of allegiance and/or national anthem to compare it to our own, but asking someone who is a citizen of this country to recite that pledge or sing that anthem is wrong. I love Canada, and I think your national anthem is better than ours, but can't tell you if I sang along when I went to Blue Jays and Expos games. But even if I did, it would've been voluntary. Even if in this classroom reciting the Mexican pledge of allegiance was voluntary, I doubt that these kids fully understood that (only one declined?) nor did they understand fully the implications of what it was they were actually being asked to do.