Favorite VH Song

How Many Say Aye?
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:45 AM
    Liked 1,626 Times in 872 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Default New Guitar Day-MIJ Charvel san Dimas

Ordered last week & arrived yesterday. Build quality seems to be top notch. Fret work is really nice. If you've never played one, believe the hype about the necks. Only thing is, I was expecting the Floyd to be dive only, not floating.

So:

What's the best way to set it up for dive only, bearing in mind, I'll probably be doing it myself as I'm not near a tech to do it for me.

Thanks,
    TVH
    -TVH-

If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace. -Thomas Paine

What is government itself but the greatest of all reflections on human nature? - James Madison

Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian. - Henry Ford

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Van Halen View Post
    Ordered last week & arrived yesterday. Build quality seems to be top notch. Fret work is really nice. If you've never played one, believe the hype about the necks. Only thing is, I was expecting the Floyd to be dive only, not floating.

So:

What's the best way to set it up for dive only, bearing in mind, I'll probably be doing it myself as I'm not near a tech to do it for me.

Thanks,
    TVH
    This little guy: http://www.axcessories.com/products.asp?cat=103

It's super easy to install and works well. If you want to attempt more bridge-to-body contact you can also block the trem off inside the cavity with a piece of wood.

Last Online

10.17.12 @ 03:50 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I also vote for the Trem Stopper method, it's so much easier to install and adjust than using a block of wood.

Top Of The World cpusolutions2001's Avatar
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 03:16 AM
    Liked 16 Times in 5 Posts

Awesome. How about posting some pictures?

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

There's just too many
    Last Online

10.26.15 @ 12:38 PM
    Liked 138 Times in 79 Posts

The Pro-Mod Charvels are great. I have a So-Cal in Ferrari Red, switched out the PU's for a '59 in the neck and a JB in the bridge, and I am very happy. I think you will be too. The neck feels fantastic and the FR 99.9% of the time stays in tune. I usually have to be using it alot before the B or high e string start to go a bit out of whack.

I really gotta try this Trem Stopper thing. I heard it's supposed to make the tone warmer and add more sustain.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Last Online

08.07.17 @ 08:14 PM
    Liked 313 Times in 149 Posts

Donor

I was looking at the Charvels but now that I know that it's a floating trem, I'm gonna rule it out...

They are good looking guitars and have heard nothing but positive things about them...

Congrats!!!

BTW, does anyone know if those are built in the same factory as the EVH Specials???
    Jet City Super Stealth
    Marshall 50th Anniversary JCM-1H and Class 5 Combo
    Austin Speaker Works KTS-60

Favorite VH Album

Pirates of the Carribean
    Favorite VH Song

How Many Say Aye?
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:45 AM
    Liked 1,626 Times in 872 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by AT View Post
    This little guy: http://www.axcessories.com/products.asp?cat=103

It's super easy to install and works well. If you want to attempt more bridge-to-body contact you can also block the trem off inside the cavity with a piece of wood.

Thanks AT. That definitely fits the bill for simple & effective. I have a machinist friend who owes me a couple favors so I may just get him to fab me one.

TVH
    -TVH-

If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace. -Thomas Paine

What is government itself but the greatest of all reflections on human nature? - James Madison

Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian. - Henry Ford

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

12.05.17 @ 03:19 AM
    Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts

You know, it's horses for courses - I shimmed the neck on my US made Charvel So Cal so I could get more up-pull with it! They're great guitars with great necks, and a terrific starting point for modifications. Very utilitarian, which to me is closer in spirit to the guitars EVH used in his early days.

I wasn't keen on the DiMarzios in mine, so I initially swapped them for a pair of Bare Knuckle Rebel Yells, but I found those a little too warm and thick, without the clang and harmonics I wanted from a guitar like this. I in turn swapped those for a Duncan 59 at the neck and an EVH Frankenstein at the bridge, and the guitar now sounds great.

Incidentally, I put the Rebel Yells in my Japanese-made Tokai SG copy, and they suit that guitar to the ground. It really honks in the mids the way a good SG should.
    HERE AND GONE by Haylen Beck (Stuart Neville writing as...) - "It doesn't get better than this." - Lee Child, "Highly recommended." - Harlan Coben, "Cancel all your plans and settle in for the ride." - Ruth Ware, "This is a book that lives up to the buzz." - Alafair Burke

Summer 2017 UK & North America

Eruption
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 07:56 PM
    Liked 701 Times in 247 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Van Halen View Post
    Thanks AT. That definitely fits the bill for simple & effective. I have a machinist friend who owes me a couple favors so I may just get him to fab me one.

TVH
    If you donít plan on changing back to a floating trem & have a friend who's a machinist, get him to make you a BIG block out of brass. Have it made so the block rests against the tremolo cavity eliminating the trem stop. If you have never installed a brass block, you'll be surprised how much more sustain it adds.