Favorite VH Album

=VH= II
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 09:31 PM
    Liked 780 Times in 375 Posts

Premium Member

Occupy - World

Wall Street protests go global; riots in Rome

ROME (Reuters) - Thousands of demonstrators took to the streets across the globe on Saturday to denounce bankers, politicians and businessmen for ruining the world's economies, with violence breaking out in Rome as angry protestors torched cars, banks, and smashed bank windows.

Galvanized by the Occupy Wall Street movement, the protests began in New Zealand, touched parts of Asia, spread to Europe, and ultimately resumed at their starting point in New York.

The demonstrations by the disaffected coincided with the Group of 20 meeting in Paris, where finance ministers and central bankers from major economies were holding talks on the debt and deficit crises afflicting many Western countries.

While most rallies were small and barely held up traffic, the Rome event drew tens of thousands of people and snaked through the city center for kilometers (miles).

The protest in the Italian capital, which left dozens injured, was part of the "Occupy Wall Street" demonstrations against capitalism and austerity measures that went global Saturday.

Tens of thousands nicknamed "the indignant" marched in major cities across Europe, as protests that began in New York linked up with long-running demonstrations against government cost-cutting and failed financial policies in Europe.

Heavy smoke billowed into the air in downtown Rome as some protesters wreaked havoc in streets close to the Colosseum.

Clad in black with their faces covered, protesters threw rocks, bottles and incendiary devices at banks and Rome police in riot gear. Some protesters had clubs, others had hammers. They destroyed bank ATMs, and set banks on fire.

In contrast, small and peaceful rallies got the ball rolling across the Asia-Pacific region on Saturday. In Auckland, New Zealand's biggest city, 3,000 people chanted and banged drums, denouncing corporate greed.

About 200 gathered in the capital Wellington and 50 in a park in the earthquake-hit southern city of Christchurch.

In Sydney, about 2,000 people, including representatives of Aboriginal groups, communists and trade unionists, protested outside the central Reserve Bank of Australia.

Hundreds marched in Tokyo, including anti-nuclear protesters. In Manila a few dozen marched on the U.S. Embassy waving banners reading: "Down with U.S. imperialism" and "Philippines not for sale".

More than 100 people gathered at the Taipei stock exchange, chanting "we are Taiwan's 99 percent" and saying economic growth had only benefited firms while middle-class salaries barely covered soaring housing, education and health care costs.

In Hong Kong, home to the Asian headquarters of investment banks such as Goldman Sachs, over 100 people gathered at Exchange Square in the Central district. Students joined with retirees, holding banners that called banks a cancer.

In Paris, around 1,000 protesters rallied in front of city hall, coinciding with the G20 finance chiefs' meeting, after coming in from the working class neighborhood of Belleville where drummers, trumpeters and a tuba revved up the crowd.

"This is potentially the start of a strong movement," said Olivier Milleron, a doctor whose group of trumpeters played the classic American folk song "This land is your land".
    _-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

A little rebellion now and then is a good thing and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical.

THOMAS JEFFERSON, letter to James Madison, Jan. 30, 1787
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Last Online

12.10.17 @ 04:14 PM
    Liked 1,471 Times in 1,002 Posts

Premium Member

occupy wall street raging grannies

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 10:56 PM
    Liked 6,813 Times in 3,562 Posts

Premium Member

Favorite VH Album

=VH= II
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 09:31 PM
    Liked 780 Times in 375 Posts

Premium Member

Default Occupy Wall Street, 10/14/11

Check out the NY cop punching the woman @ 1:40 of this video.
    He clobbers her.
    _-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

Last Online

Premium Member

Tom Morello from Rage Against the Machine comments:

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 05:36 PM
    Liked 6,667 Times in 3,695 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rocknblues81 View Post
    Tom Morello from Rage Against the Machine comments:

i like Tom Morello. This "movement" would be better off if he was the only one who spoke for them.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 08:36 PM
    Liked 2,230 Times in 1,348 Posts

the working class is fed up with feeling the squeeze while watching the bankers , energy executives, insurance executives and politicians line their pockets.

but we gave them power with our desire for cheap goods, easy credit and buy now pay later mentality.

we're all paying later, that's for sure

survivor of the Bowling Green Massacre 9-3-2016 BGSU 10 OSU 77

She was warned. She was given an explanation. Nevertheless, she persisted.

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

what do you all think will come from this? anything?

Up here, I don't think the movement has much traction at all. Most of the things that people are complaining about south of the border just don't hold water here. And the new list of complaints that our protesters have come up with (enviromental concerns, demanding free university tuition, etc) don't really jive with the feeling of the general population (aka the 99% )

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Number 47 View Post
    I'm sorry but if there is a legit topic being discussed here, my feedback will have to wait until we roll over into page #2. This image is really jamming my frequencies here. My kryptonite, if you will.

Wow.
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Last Online

Premium Member

Occupy Wall Street Anti-Semitic Say Conservatives

Eruption
    Last Online

01.10.13 @ 08:45 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Why don't we as Americans get more aggressive about buying things that are made in America, USA not
    North and South America. I know it would be more expensive but the only way to hurt these companies is to speak with our wallets. I remember this as a kid in the eighties. Walking into K-mart or whatever and seeing those red, white and blue labels everywhere and having it mentioned in commercials etc. I know once in a while its mentioned but the movement isn't really pushed like it used to be. Or we could boycott companies outside of manufacturing that outsource jobs oversees.

Not sure if this is the right thread for this. I realize this is probably impossible but the last product I used was crest white strips and they are made in the US, so yay for that! Before that I painted my toes with OPI, that's made in China so forget them.

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by BeautifulGirl5150 View Post
    Why don't we as Americans get more aggressive about buying things that are made in America, USA not
    North and South America. I know it would be more expensive
    but the only way to hurt these companies is to speak with our wallets. I remember this as a kid in the eighties. Walking into K-mart or whatever and seeing those red, white and blue labels everywhere and having it mentioned in commercials etc. I know once in a while its mentioned but the movement isn't really pushed like it used to be. Or we could boycott companies outside of manufacturing that outsource jobs oversees.

Not sure if this is the right thread for this. I realize this is probably impossible but the last product I used was crest white strips and they are made in the US, so yay for that! Before that I painted my toes with OPI, that's made in China so forget them.
    i think you answered your own question. It's unfortunate. I try my best to buy things made in Canada or the States but damn it's not easy sometimes.

Eruption
    Last Online

01.10.13 @ 08:45 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    i think you answered your own question. It's unfortunate. I try my best to buy things made in Canada or the States but damn it's not easy sometimes.
    Right and I get how it isn't always feasible, but I would like it to be made an actual conscience movement like it was in the eighties. I don't think most people even realize what they are doing/getting when they shop most of the time. We need this type of thing now more than we ever did back then. What do you guys say? Come on who's coming with me?!?

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by BeautifulGirl5150 View Post
    Right and I get how it isn't always feasible, but I would like it to be made an actual conscience movement like it was in the eighties. I don't think most people even realize what they are doing/getting when they shop most of the time. We need this type of thing now more than we ever did back then. What do you guys say? Come on who's coming with me?!?
    I'm with you - already do it actually. What you really need is retailers to jump on board and push american made products again. And I'm shocked that more companies that make their products in house don't really push that fact.