Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.07.17 @ 12:54 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Default P P P P Professor won't let stuttering student speak in class

RANDOLPH, NJ (WCBS/CNN) - A New Jersey community college student is accusing a professor of discriminating against him because he has a stutter.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/video?au...clipId=6340416

Philip Garber Jr., 16, has been taking two classes at the County College of Morris in New Jersey to overcome his disability, but he encountered a problem when an adjunct professor in a history course told him not to ask questions during class so as not to disrupt the other students.

"The first feeling was just shock," Garber said.

The professor told the student to write out the questions he had to ask before and after class. In response, college administration moved him to an identical course where he felt more comfortable.

"He was in fact discriminated against in this class - this is other students were not asked to make the same accommodation," said Dr. Edward Yaw, the president of County College. "That is something we take seriously."

Garber has struggled with stuttering his whole life and has been home-schooled in addition to getting speech therapy.

"I have never experienced this level of discrimination," Garber said.

Although the professor in question would not comment on the allegations, a majority of students not in the class are behind the 16-year-old.

"He paid for his tuition like everybody else did," said Henny Harmon, a fellow student at the school. "It's not fair that he's not allowed to speak in class."

The college refused to comment about any action taken against the teacher since it's a personnel issue.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/...20119117.shtml
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 08:23 AM
    Liked 6,668 Times in 3,696 Posts

As someone who lived through this (and still does to a certain extent) I hate the story and the thread title. Nothing at all funny about either.

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.07.17 @ 12:54 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

With that said, would a Mod please edit the thread title...
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

As for the actual story, the prof is a dickhed and I feel terribly for the 16 year old. It's a really crappy situation when the people who should be protecting you actually appear to be against you. Not the easiest thing in the world to go through I can assure you. This is the kind of thing that can lead a kid to snap and do something stupid.

It's really sad how we treat people with disabilities in this world. Nothing makes me feel better than when I see one of the losers I went to school with nowadays who thought what I had was some sort of joke. I got the joy of interviewing one for a job once, that was so sweet.

Favorite VH Album

Complete Zero
    Favorite VH Song

Lets Get Rockin
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 10:00 AM
    Liked 1,861 Times in 730 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    As someone who lived through this (and still does to a certain extent) I hate the story and the thread title. Nothing at all funny about either.
    wh wh wh wh wh what he said! Just fuckin with you Mike
    I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass.

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by sickman View Post
    wh wh wh wh wh what he said! Just fuckin with you Mike
    ass

Favorite VH Album

Complete Zero
    Favorite VH Song

Lets Get Rockin
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 10:00 AM
    Liked 1,861 Times in 730 Posts

Donor

ass
    I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass.

Eruption
    Last Online

09.23.13 @ 06:29 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

As for the actual story, the prof is a dickhed and I feel terribly for the 16 year old. It's a really crappy situation when the people who should be protecting you actually appear to be against you. Not the easiest thing in the world to go through I can assure you. This is the kind of thing that can lead a kid to snap and do something stupid.

It's really sad how we treat people with disabilities in this world. Nothing makes me feel better than when I see one of the losers I went to school with nowadays who thought what I had was some sort of joke. I got the joy of interviewing one for a job once, that was so sweet.
    I hope you didn't hire the dumb fuck and had the pleasure of telling him "no."

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

05.26.17 @ 11:48 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

I remember seeing a show on TV with a kid that stuttered so bad, he could hardly speak. But the kid was able to sing flawlessly. Singing must be using some different pathways in the brain I suppose.

Just curious if you had the same experience, Mike? I'm also interested in what you did to overcome it?

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Duck View Post
    I remember seeing a show on TV with a kid that stuttered so bad, he could hardly speak. But the kid was able to sing flawlessly. Singing must be using some different pathways in the brain I suppose.

Just curious if you had the same experience, Mike? I'm also interested in what you did to overcome it?
    that's not uncommon, to be able to sing without issue even if you have this issue. Most stutterers can also speak without issue when they are by themselves, alot of it a stage fright type issue.

As to how I was able to overcome it, I really couldn't say "I did this and it solved the problem" other then I just grew out of it for the most part. When I was a kid (grade 2 or 3) I was sent to see a speech pathologist for a while and that helped some I guess but not a whole lot. I've done a lot of reading on the topic and have never gotten a real answer as to what causes this (ie if it's a physical or a mental issue, I think it's both). I think what "cured it" for me more than anything was just confidence. When you think you're gonna stutter, you will. When you think you're fine, you won't. The only time i really think about it now is the odd time it happens and when I read articles like this. And it's probably just because i don't fear it, as a kid you really do and that just makes things much worse.

It doesn't impact me much nowadays, sometimes on a phone call but nothing that really changes my life all that much. In school, it was a living hell at times as you never know when it'll impact you. But when I did it was is just debilitating. I was kind of lucky as it didn't impact me everyday (like the kid in the story), mine was much more sporadic. But it led to me getting in many more fights that I ever should have. I feel horribly for the kid. I know that when I was his age that there were many times that I would have preferred to not be able to speak at all, then at least no one would expect you to talk. There was a kid who went to school with my sister who had it much worse than me and he hung himself when he was 17 - just couldn't take the abuse any longer. I always fear that my kids will have a similar issue (especially my son as it impacts boys far more often) but no signs of it so far. And that's a good thing, if that was my kid in the story, I'd be in prison right now for what I would have done to that prof.

Nowadays, it's probably easier for kids then it was for me for a couple of reason. (1) The internet means speaking isn't as important as it was when i grew up and (2) Schools are so mucher quicker to diagnose stuff like this and to try to get you help. When I was a kid, people (teachers, family, etc) just figured I was shy when I didn't speak. I wasn't shy, I was scared shitless.

Sorry for the long ass answer.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

05.26.17 @ 11:48 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

I found your post interesting, Mike. Thanks for the reply.