Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Default Home Completely 'Made in America'

House built entirely from U.S. parts could be the answer to creating jobs.

http://news.yahoo.com/video/business...-26889271.html
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 05:44 PM
    Liked 2,238 Times in 1,356 Posts

its just common sense...we don't need a government job creation program, each and every one of us is a job creation program every time we open our wallet.

and you don't have to go crazy with this, you just have to be mindful of what you are spending and buying a little more American made goods

sure we may pay more now, but the benefits that we will see will carry on to the next generations

China is selling us out and then buying us out, and the sad thing is, they are doing it with our own damn money.

we have got to give up our obsession with acquiring ever cheaper goods

survivor of the Bowling Green Massacre 9-3-2016 BGSU 10 OSU 77

She was warned. She was given an explanation. Nevertheless, she persisted.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

05.26.17 @ 11:48 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Hill View Post
    its just common sense...we don't need a government job creation program, each and every one of us is a job creation program every time we open our wallet.

and you don't have to go crazy with this, you just have to be mindful of what you are spending and buying a little more American made goods

sure we may pay more now, but the benefits that we will see will carry on to the next generations

China is selling us out and then buying us out, and the sad thing is, they are doing it with our own damn money.

we have got to give up our obsession with acquiring ever cheaper goods
    You are right. Common sense approach too.

There is a flip side to this coin. China's economy is inexorably tied to the US economy now. Japan did this is the 1980's and it eventually backfired to some degree. We have some cards to play in this game but we refuse to use them.

I think some tariffs are in order on all these imports. Phase it in over three years. If companies like Apple can't make iPads over in China and sell them here for less than making them on US soil, then some manufacturing will come back over time. People will bitch about the price increases, but that is the pain you need to get out of this death spiral.

I also like another idea I read on this forums (was it Mike's?) that said Canada has a requirement that foreign companies have to manufacture on their soil before selling in-country? Something like that might help.

Free trade is only good if all sides play by the same rules. Our market is extremely valuable, and if we get abused by currency rates that are artificially kept down, then we need a reasoned response.

Libertarians argue that we get the cheap products -- so much the better -- value for value. But I think the macroeconomics of this is more complex. Plus the security of having the capability to manufacture what you need by your own people. If you can't make stuff and rely on imports for most of your goods, you country is weak and can be exploited in a host of different ways.

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 03:50 AM
    Liked 6,699 Times in 3,719 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Duck View Post
    You are right. Common sense approach too.

There is a flip side to this coin. China's economy is inexorably tied to the US economy now. Japan did this is the 1980's and it eventually backfired to some degree. We have some cards to play in this game but we refuse to use them.

I think some tariffs are in order on all these imports. Phase it in over three years. If companies like Apple can't make iPads over in China and sell them here for less than making them on US soil, then some manufacturing will come back over time. People will bitch about the price increases, but that is the pain you need to get out of this death spiral.

I also like another idea I read on this forums (was it Mike's?) that said Canada has a requirement that foreign companies have to manufacture on their soil before selling in-country? Something like that might help.

Free trade is only good if all sides play by the same rules. Our market is extremely valuable, and if we get abused by currency rates that are artificially kept down, then we need a reasoned response.

Libertarians argue that we get the cheap products -- so much the better -- value for value. But I think the macroeconomics of this is more complex. Plus the security of having the capability to manufacture what you need by your own people. If you can't make stuff and rely on imports for most of your goods, you country is weak and can be exploited in a host of different ways.
    yup, that was me. This is no longer really valid though - it was pre free trade with you guys (the whole point of branch plants was a way to avoid tariffs). It did force US auto makers to open up manufacturing facilities up here which still exist to this day. It has also kind of pushed other car makers (like Honda) to open manufacturing plants here as many people (like me) would never buy a car that wasn't made in Canada or the States.
    Last edited by It's Mike; 10.12.11 at 11:02 AM.