Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Default Senate passes China currency bill

In a rare showing of bipartisanship, the Senate passed a bill on Tuesday targeting China's undervalued currency -- long accused of hampering the U.S. economy.

The Senate voted 63-35 to slap new duties on imports from nations whose currency is undervalued -- a provision aimed squarely at China's yuan. Lawmakers say the bill is intended to help U.S. businesses hurt by ongoing global trade imbalances and lost business to Asian nations.

But the Republican-controlled House won't take up the bill, Speaker John Boehner has said, making Senate passage more of a political exercise than an attempt at legislating. Boehner has called the bill "dangerous."

China opposes the bill and warns of a trade war if the bill passes.

http://money.cnn.com/2011/10/11/news...hina_currency/
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack. -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

=VH= II
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 10:23 AM
    Liked 798 Times in 383 Posts

Premium Member

Fuck China. We should attack while we still have superior weapons. Time is running out and then we'll just be their pwnd bitch.
    _-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 11:43 AM
    Liked 18,176 Times in 8,984 Posts

We already are.

Hard to fight a war with the country that produces your steel and holds all your debt.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 10:38 AM
    Liked 7,894 Times in 4,618 Posts

Premium Member

Can someone please explain why we trade with our ENEMIES! I'm not real knowledgable in these things and am generally in favor of free trade but with people who actually LIKE US like our allies. I mean do we really NEED those cheap products from China? We can get them from other countries right? We have lost sight of the fact, and I think the younger kids have to, that countries like Russia and China are our natural enemies being commies and all. At least they were when I was growing up in the ancient 80's.

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

II, FW, OU812, club days
    Favorite VH Song

Cabo Wabo, Hear About it Later
    Last Online

08.08.15 @ 09:37 PM
    Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    We already are.

Hard to fight a war with the country that produces your steel and holds all your debt.
    It's a common misconception that China holds all our debt. In fact they only hold roughly 10% of it. The biggest holder of our debt is actually Americans.
    Any musicians near Boston / Cape Cod want to get together and play some VH? I play drums, guitar, keyboard, bass, and I sing. I want to start a VH tribute band. Contact me if interested.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Yeah, I guess that is about right.

I haven't looked at it in a while, but about half our debt is foreign, and they roughly hold about 25% of our total foreign debt.

I was being a drama queen for emphasis in my original post. I don't like owing them a single penny, I fail to understand why we do business with them.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 09:55 AM
    Liked 6,711 Times in 3,729 Posts

this is a very nice first step.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Poundcake
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:13 PM
    Liked 305 Times in 225 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    this is a very nice first step.
    It's nothing more than just election year posturing by some of our politicians.

Favorite VH Album

Complete Zero
    Favorite VH Song

Lets Get Rockin
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 02:06 PM
    Liked 1,863 Times in 732 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    We already are.

My company purchases about 100,000 lbs. of steel a year and to my knowledge none of it comes from China. Mostly South Korea, USA and South America.
    I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

China produces almost half of the world's steel. The US is a distant fourth in steel production behind China, the EU and Japan.

Just another example of an industry that fifty years ago we dominated that we have let slip through our fingers and lose middle class blue collar jobs.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 1,374 Times in 803 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wruff_ajax View Post
    Fuck China. We should attack while we still have superior weapons. Time is running out and then we'll just be their pwnd bitch.
    What the west have as far as superiority, China more than makes up for in shear numbers, not to mention their allies, namely Russia, Cuba, North Africa, and the |Middle East. With Russia, that fact that Putin is poised to come back into full power, and his goal is to create a reunified super power not totally unlike the USSR, but with a slightly more enlightening brand.
    Hate to say it, but any war picked with China would be suicide. it's become one of the worlds biggest trading partners. it's been driving coal and oil producing nations by consuming 10 times the rate of the US and Canada combined, and the worst part, and the biggest card they hold, is they are holding a huge part of our debt.
    OK....so if we did go to a trade war with them....were screwed. They'ed say "fuck you" then we'd be in the same situation as Greece and default most likely.
    If we went to a full out military assault and struck first, with nukes, then our troops deployed in China friendly nations would be overwealmed, Cuba would strike the east coast of the US and Canada, and Russia would attack the West, and occupy the North to strike the middle States.
    Look how much shit gets stirred when a two bit nation like N.Korea start piping up.......One thing I know is China is no two bit nation.

Aside form wiping out a billion people or so, don't think it would accomplish a damn thing. They were smart and entrenched themselves fiscally, and dependently to avoid this very thing.
    It's the ultimate "Fuck You....What you gonna do?" to the world.
    Pretty much their credo.
    Dominate quietly by shear number.

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by we die young View Post
    What the west have as far as superiority, China more than makes up for in shear numbers, not to mention their allies, namely Russia, Cuba, North Africa, and the |Middle East. With Russia, that fact that Putin is poised to come back into full power, and his goal is to create a reunified super power not totally unlike the USSR, but with a slightly more enlightening brand.
    Hate to say it, but any war picked with China would be suicide. it's become one of the worlds biggest trading partners. it's been driving coal and oil producing nations by consuming 10 times the rate of the US and Canada combined, and the worst part, and the biggest card they hold, is they are holding a huge part of our debt.
    OK....so if we did go to a trade war with them....were screwed. They'ed say "fuck you" then we'd be in the same situation as Greece and default most likely.
    If we went to a full out military assault and struck first, with nukes, then our troops deployed in China friendly nations would be overwealmed, Cuba would strike the east coast of the US and Canada, and Russia would attack the West, and occupy the North to strike the middle States.
    Look how much shit gets stirred when a two bit nation like N.Korea start piping up.......One thing I know is China is no two bit nation.

Aside form wiping out a billion people or so, don't think it would accomplish a damn thing. They were smart and entrenched themselves fiscally, and dependently to avoid this very thing.
    It's the ultimate "Fuck You....What you gonna do?" to the world.
    Pretty much their credo.
    Dominate quietly by shear number.
    why would a military war even be an option?

And to think that changing the trade relationship (aka actually forcing a fair relationship) with China would lead to a Greece style default is very silly.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 05:21 AM
    Liked 4,810 Times in 2,455 Posts

Premium Member
    People fail to realize that China's economy is driven by the United States. If they decided to kill our economy, it would put a big dent in theirs.

We have a symbiotic relationship. Sort of like midichlorians

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 1,374 Times in 803 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    why would a military war even be an option?

And to think that changing the trade relationship (aka actually forcing a fair relationship) with China would lead to a Greece style default is very silly.
    That's what I mean. We had this converstaion at work the other day. A guy said the US should just nuke China. What would that solve? Why do people think like that? It would be pointless, but there's folks that truly believe doing so would somehow correct all the problems.
    Rediculous, and like I said...if there was a bonehead that decided to do it, it would be at their peril.
    As far as reneging on debt which is what I was talking about...not the trade relationship as a whole, it would most certainly put the US on the bubble. It wasn't long ago that the US almost failed to meet their commitments.
    OK...it wouldn't equate to the situation Greece is in....That was a worst case scenario....but once debt is defaulted on on the global scale, things go bad real quick.....Were talking trillions of dollars these days. If credit ratings drop, interest from risk goes up, then it only gets harder.
    It's unbelievable that these figures are thrown around like they are.
    Last edited by we die young; 10.12.11 at 06:21 AM.

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by we die young View Post
    That's what I mean. We had this converstaion at work the other day. A guy said the US should just nuke China. What would that solve? Why do people think like that? It would be pointless, but there's folks that truly believe doing so would somehow correct all the problems.
    Rediculous, and like I said...if there was a bonehead that decided to do it, it would be at their peril.
    As far as reneging on debt which is what I was talking about...not the trade relationship as a whole, it would most certainly put the US on the bubble. It wasn't long ago that the US almost failed to meet their commitments.
    OK...it wouldn't equate to the situation Greece is in....That was a worst case scenario....but once debt is defaulted on on the global scale, things go bad real quick.....Were talking trillions of dollars these days. If credit ratings drop, interest from risk goes up, then it only gets harder.
    It's unbelievable that these figures are thrown around like they are.
    anyone who thinks that bombing a trade partner or defaulting on debt to China will solve the problem is a moron.