Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20
  1. #1
    Atomic Punk
    Join Date
    01.29.02
    Age
    49
    Location
    somewhere over the rainbow
    Posts
    22,946
    Last Online

    12.07.17 @ 12:54 PM
    Likes
    842
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

    Default Occupy Hollywood

    Occupy Hollywood
    Take a long look at the robber barons you are NEVER instructed to hate.

    by John Hayward 10/07/2011

    Liberals are strangely incurious about why their betters never instruct them to hate Hollywood during their class-warfare lectures. I mean never. Movie stars, singers, producers, directors, and star athletes are the millionaires you’re never told to envy. Their “fair share,” and the methods they use to avoid paying it, are not topics for discussion.

    Liberals are even willing to extend this consideration to a grotesque caricature like Michael Moore​, the greedy millionaire who made a fortune by making his fans look stupid, and refused to employ union labor while doing it. He walked right past union operatives to receive a warm welcome from the Wall Street protesters. He moved out of a luxurious New York City penthouse to avoid paying his “fair share” of New York taxes on his immense movie profits, celebrated the release of a movie lambasting capitalism with a posh party at another swanky penthouse, and filled in a wetland to put the finishing touches on his million-dollar Michigan estate.

    There are some obvious tactical reasons why the leadership of the Left meticulously avoids pointing fingers of blame at Hollywood millionaires. The Left gets a huge amount of funding and ideological support from entertainers, of course. Those entertainers are very good at generating emotional reactions, and drawing attention to themselves while they support various charitable and humanitarian endeavors – which is great for the worthy causes they support, but also creates an armor of selfless morality for celebrities that is unavailable to largely unseen businessmen who donate big money to charity.

    Also, there’s a sense among the liberal rank-and-file that entertainers earn their millions, in a way that businessmen do not. Average liberals don’t know what goes on in a corporate boardroom, but they’re pretty sure it doesn’t involve the kind of work that goes into producing the glittering value splashed across movie and TV screens. Of course someone who starred in a movie that made $200 million deserves to be rich!

    Paradoxically, Hollywood wealth has a dreamy quality that sets it apart from the grubby, purportedly unethical dealings of the hated “one percenters.” It’s common to fantasize about becoming a star, and this fantasy burns eternally in many hearts. You could be one day away from the discovery of your long-hidden talents by a big Hollywood agent! It’s like winning the lottery – a clean and pure blast of refreshing good fortune, quite unlike the dirty money bankers get by tricking people into signing mortgage papers.

    Nevertheless, the Occupy Wall Street crowd really should think about dispatching some angry protesters to Occupy Hollywood. For one thing, Hollywood accounting is crooked on a scale that would make any Wall Street firm blush. David Prowse, the very tall actor who wore the Darth Vader costume in the original Star Wars trilogy, recently remarked in an interview that according to the studio, Return of the Jedi has never made a nickel of profit, so Prowse has never been paid any residuals. The film grossed over half a billion dollars worldwide, but the studio rigged the books to show zero net profit, almost thirty years later. In the course of explaining why this sort of thing is commonplace, Atlantic magazine notes that even Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix is currently on the books as a net loss.

    As a fascinating article at Film School Rejects chronicles, movie studios engage in all sorts of viciously “unfair” practices, such as using their muscle to virtually extort theater owners, stealing intellectual property, and marketing their lesser films with fraudulent “reviews.” Any of these practices from a Wall Street firm would prompt a rush of patchouli-scented basement-dwelling youth that could only be stopped with pepper spray and plastic nets.

    Are you mad as hell about the Durbin Tax your bank is getting ready to pass along through $5 monthly debit card surcharges, or the loss of your free checking account? Well, how about those movie ticket prices? The New York Times recently reported that theater executives predicted another average ticket price increase of 3% by the end of this year, which would make “the 17th consecutive annual increase in a business whose prices have outpaced the effect of general inflation by more than half since 1999.” Is that taking more of a bite out of your wallet than debit card fees? To say nothing of concession stand prices?

    Studio greed has reached into the home video market, causing Netflix to make a very ill-fated restructuring of its rent-by-mail fees. The licensing fees Netflix pays to movie studios will increase by eleven hundred percent over the next two years.

    Perhaps your Occupy Hollywood rage is diminished by the thought that you can always choose not to do business with the robber barons of Tinseltown, although it’s a safe bet few of the crew occupying Wall Street missed any of last summer’s blockbusters. Well, try meditating on how much money most of the other big companies you deal with are spending for TV advertising. At Gaebler Resources for Entrepreneurs, the average cost of producing a 30-second national television commercial is pegged at $350,000. The cost of getting on the air is vastly higher, as “highly-watched programs can command rates in the millions of dollars,” while even commercials during less-watched programs “may still run in excess of $100,000 per 30 seconds.”

    Like all business costs and taxes, these advertising expenses ultimately filter down to the customer through elevated retail prices. Think you’ll hear any Democrat senators railing about the high cost of TV ads any time soon?

    All of the money pouring into Hollywood winds up financing incredibly lavish lifestyles, which celebrities like to flaunt through reality shows offering the little people exciting videotaped tours of their stunning estates. Popular animated series The Simpsons may be canceled after this year, because the voice actors won’t consider a cut in their $440,000 per episode salaries. Shotime's top series Dexter might end because star Michael C. Hall thinks the network's tightwad offer of $20 million for two more seasons is too low, and demands not a penny less than $24 million.

    Eco-sensitive director James Cameron​, who thinks you little people should live more primitive and “sustainable” lifestyles, raked in $257 million in 2010. (Do those hated Wall Street fat cats use their corporate jets to fly around and tell the peasants they have a moral obligation to save the Earth by accepting a dramatically reduced standard of living?) Top star Johnny Depp got paid $40 million for starring in a hit, and $20 million for co-starring in one of the year’s biggest flops. Even werewolf cub Taylor Lautner​ pulled down $33.5 million in a single year.

    So: do you hate rich people, harbor a conviction they avoid “paying their fair share” through shady accounting tricks, and deeply resent the way your wallet is being emptied through price gouging? Then it’s time for you to Occupy Hollywood. Bonus: it’s lovely this time of year.

    http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=46697
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

  2. #2
    Atomic Punk Little Dreamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.25.99
    Age
    45
    Location
    Pasadena, CA, USA
    Posts
    8,930
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Hear About It Later
    Last Online

    12.10.17 @ 04:07 PM
    Likes
    987
    Liked 1,383 Times in 758 Posts

    Default

    The idiot who wrote this isn't aware that "Hollywood" is concept, he probably never went to Los Angeles. The actual neighborhood named Hollywood is just full of tourists and souvenir shops, occupying it will only put a few clowns and guys in spiderman suits out of a job.
    Little Dreamer

  3. #3
    Good Enough wham bam will rock's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.30.02
    Location
    Hell and beyond
    Posts
    2,261
    Favorite VH Album

    Bark Like A Dog
    Favorite VH Song

    Act Like It Hurts
    Last Online

    06.26.17 @ 04:51 PM
    Likes
    1,264
    Liked 643 Times in 328 Posts

    These people need to OCCUPY a shower and an economics class.
    "Never is just reven spelled backwards." -House

    "Did I listen to pop music because I was miserable or was I miserable because I listened to pop music?" -THE Rob Gordon

  4. #4
    Baluchitherium
    Join Date
    06.02.09
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    4,748
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Respect my Wind
    Last Online

    12.10.17 @ 11:47 AM
    Likes
    143
    Liked 1,139 Times in 649 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by voivod View Post
    Occupy Hollywood
    Take a long look at the robber barons you are NEVER instructed to hate.

    by John Hayward 10/07/2011

    Liberals are strangely incurious about why their betters never instruct them to hate Hollywood during their class-warfare lectures. I mean never. Movie stars, singers, producers, directors, and star athletes are the millionaires you’re never told to envy. Their “fair share,” and the methods they use to avoid paying it, are not topics for discussion.

    Liberals are even willing to extend this consideration to a grotesque caricature like Michael Moore​, the greedy millionaire who made a fortune by making his fans look stupid, and refused to employ union labor while doing it. He walked right past union operatives to receive a warm welcome from the Wall Street protesters. He moved out of a luxurious New York City penthouse to avoid paying his “fair share” of New York taxes on his immense movie profits, celebrated the release of a movie lambasting capitalism with a posh party at another swanky penthouse, and filled in a wetland to put the finishing touches on his million-dollar Michigan estate.

    There are some obvious tactical reasons why the leadership of the Left meticulously avoids pointing fingers of blame at Hollywood millionaires. The Left gets a huge amount of funding and ideological support from entertainers, of course. Those entertainers are very good at generating emotional reactions, and drawing attention to themselves while they support various charitable and humanitarian endeavors – which is great for the worthy causes they support, but also creates an armor of selfless morality for celebrities that is unavailable to largely unseen businessmen who donate big money to charity.

    Also, there’s a sense among the liberal rank-and-file that entertainers earn their millions, in a way that businessmen do not. Average liberals don’t know what goes on in a corporate boardroom, but they’re pretty sure it doesn’t involve the kind of work that goes into producing the glittering value splashed across movie and TV screens. Of course someone who starred in a movie that made $200 million deserves to be rich!

    Paradoxically, Hollywood wealth has a dreamy quality that sets it apart from the grubby, purportedly unethical dealings of the hated “one percenters.” It’s common to fantasize about becoming a star, and this fantasy burns eternally in many hearts. You could be one day away from the discovery of your long-hidden talents by a big Hollywood agent! It’s like winning the lottery – a clean and pure blast of refreshing good fortune, quite unlike the dirty money bankers get by tricking people into signing mortgage papers.

    Nevertheless, the Occupy Wall Street crowd really should think about dispatching some angry protesters to Occupy Hollywood. For one thing, Hollywood accounting is crooked on a scale that would make any Wall Street firm blush. David Prowse, the very tall actor who wore the Darth Vader costume in the original Star Wars trilogy, recently remarked in an interview that according to the studio, Return of the Jedi has never made a nickel of profit, so Prowse has never been paid any residuals. The film grossed over half a billion dollars worldwide, but the studio rigged the books to show zero net profit, almost thirty years later. In the course of explaining why this sort of thing is commonplace, Atlantic magazine notes that even Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix is currently on the books as a net loss.

    As a fascinating article at Film School Rejects chronicles, movie studios engage in all sorts of viciously “unfair” practices, such as using their muscle to virtually extort theater owners, stealing intellectual property, and marketing their lesser films with fraudulent “reviews.” Any of these practices from a Wall Street firm would prompt a rush of patchouli-scented basement-dwelling youth that could only be stopped with pepper spray and plastic nets.

    Are you mad as hell about the Durbin Tax your bank is getting ready to pass along through $5 monthly debit card surcharges, or the loss of your free checking account? Well, how about those movie ticket prices? The New York Times recently reported that theater executives predicted another average ticket price increase of 3% by the end of this year, which would make “the 17th consecutive annual increase in a business whose prices have outpaced the effect of general inflation by more than half since 1999.” Is that taking more of a bite out of your wallet than debit card fees? To say nothing of concession stand prices?

    Studio greed has reached into the home video market, causing Netflix to make a very ill-fated restructuring of its rent-by-mail fees. The licensing fees Netflix pays to movie studios will increase by eleven hundred percent over the next two years.

    Perhaps your Occupy Hollywood rage is diminished by the thought that you can always choose not to do business with the robber barons of Tinseltown, although it’s a safe bet few of the crew occupying Wall Street missed any of last summer’s blockbusters. Well, try meditating on how much money most of the other big companies you deal with are spending for TV advertising. At Gaebler Resources for Entrepreneurs, the average cost of producing a 30-second national television commercial is pegged at $350,000. The cost of getting on the air is vastly higher, as “highly-watched programs can command rates in the millions of dollars,” while even commercials during less-watched programs “may still run in excess of $100,000 per 30 seconds.”

    Like all business costs and taxes, these advertising expenses ultimately filter down to the customer through elevated retail prices. Think you’ll hear any Democrat senators railing about the high cost of TV ads any time soon?

    All of the money pouring into Hollywood winds up financing incredibly lavish lifestyles, which celebrities like to flaunt through reality shows offering the little people exciting videotaped tours of their stunning estates. Popular animated series The Simpsons may be canceled after this year, because the voice actors won’t consider a cut in their $440,000 per episode salaries. Shotime's top series Dexter might end because star Michael C. Hall thinks the network's tightwad offer of $20 million for two more seasons is too low, and demands not a penny less than $24 million.

    Eco-sensitive director James Cameron​, who thinks you little people should live more primitive and “sustainable” lifestyles, raked in $257 million in 2010. (Do those hated Wall Street fat cats use their corporate jets to fly around and tell the peasants they have a moral obligation to save the Earth by accepting a dramatically reduced standard of living?) Top star Johnny Depp got paid $40 million for starring in a hit, and $20 million for co-starring in one of the year’s biggest flops. Even werewolf cub Taylor Lautner​ pulled down $33.5 million in a single year.

    So: do you hate rich people, harbor a conviction they avoid “paying their fair share” through shady accounting tricks, and deeply resent the way your wallet is being emptied through price gouging? Then it’s time for you to Occupy Hollywood. Bonus: it’s lovely this time of year.

    http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=46697
    Fuckin' A, bravo! "Why Wyatt, my hypocracy knows no boundaries..."
    "Alcoholism, is like, the only disease you can get yelled at for having" - Mitch
    Hedberg

  5. #5
    Atomic Punk edwardv's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.13.01
    Age
    59
    Location
    hanover pennsylvania
    Posts
    10,026
    Favorite VH Album

    diver down
    Favorite VH Song

    drop dead legs
    Last Online

    12.10.17 @ 04:53 PM
    Likes
    4,472
    Liked 2,379 Times in 1,485 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Lets occupy 5150 and get that fucking cd out.
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

  6. #6
    Atomic Punk rocknblues81's Avatar
    Join Date
    10.11.09
    Posts
    10,497
    Last Online

    12.10.17 @ 04:14 PM
    Likes
    558
    Liked 1,471 Times in 1,002 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Damon says he doesn't need Tax Cut:

    http://www.thehollywoodgossip.com/20...-unemployment/

    One of Barack Obama's most prominent supporters during the 2008 election, Matt Damon is now one of the President's most outspoken critics.

    Days after the actor expressed disappointment in Obama to Piers Morgan, he gave an interview to Great Britian's The Independent in which he went into greater detail over what he considers missed opportunities on the commander-in-chief's part.

    "I think he's rolled over to Wall Street completely," Damon said. "The economy has huge problems. We still have all these banks that are too big to fail. They're bigger and making more money than ever. Unemployment at 10 percent? It's terrible."

    Matt Damon believes the Democrats "squandered" a chance to "stand up for things."

    So, will Damon vote Republican in 2012? No, he joked: "I just got a 3 percent tax cut!"

    But then he turned serious again, expounding on one of Obama's more controversial compromises with conservatives:

    "Do you think I'm going to start a small business with that money? You're out of your mind if you think so. I'm going to put it in the bank. So is every other guy that makes the kind of money I make. I don't think that's what's best for the country. I think a stronger middle class makes for a stronger country."

    Ouch. In better news for the President, many people still like his wife a lot.

    Read more celebrity gossip at: http://www.thehollywoodgossip.com/20...#ixzz1aVx35yg3

  7. #7
    Gird your loins Daisy Hill's Avatar
    Join Date
    04.17.08
    Age
    57
    Location
    Goose Poop, Ohio
    Posts
    13,008
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Panama
    Last Online

    12.09.17 @ 08:36 PM
    Likes
    1,788
    Liked 2,230 Times in 1,348 Posts

    Default

    I went to Hollywood once and found it was already occupied by a 7 foot tall guy in an assless demon suit, a weirdo dressed in a dirty Spiderman suit crouched on a fire hydrant and someone aged around ...oh 65 ish... who may have actually been a man, dressed as Marilyn Monroe


    go ahead occupy away, it couldn't get worse

    survivor of the Bowling Green Massacre 9-3-2016 BGSU 10 OSU 77

    She was warned. She was given an explanation. Nevertheless, she persisted.

  8. #8
    Eruption
    Join Date
    11.09.00
    Age
    46
    Location
    Atlanta, GA USA
    Posts
    1,010
    Favorite VH Album

    A Different Kind of Truth
    Favorite VH Song

    Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

    01.13.16 @ 05:43 PM
    Likes
    1
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by edwardv View Post
    Lets occupy 5150 and get that fucking cd out.
    Gold!
    Staying Frosty

  9. #9
    Atomic Punk Little Dreamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.25.99
    Age
    45
    Location
    Pasadena, CA, USA
    Posts
    8,930
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Hear About It Later
    Last Online

    12.10.17 @ 04:07 PM
    Likes
    987
    Liked 1,383 Times in 758 Posts

    Default

    Plus I don't get this guy. There's an easy way to protest against "Hollywood" if you hate them: just don't go see the movies and don't watch TV! That's gonna hurt them much more than some conservative pundit saying "boo, I hate you!"
    Little Dreamer

  10. #10
    Good Enough pal1800's Avatar
    Join Date
    10.30.07
    Age
    45
    Location
    Mandeville, LA
    Posts
    1,731
    Favorite VH Album

    Too hard to choose
    Favorite VH Song

    Too hard to choose
    Last Online

    06.02.16 @ 09:13 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Point is liberals or most of them give the Hollywood rich as pass but not Corporate America. They also seem to give Steve Jobs a pass, go look at some of the things he did. Hypo's.

  11. #11
    Atomic Punk
    Join Date
    01.29.02
    Age
    49
    Location
    somewhere over the rainbow
    Posts
    22,946
    Last Online

    12.07.17 @ 12:54 PM
    Likes
    842
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pal1800 View Post
    Point is liberals or most of them give the Hollywood rich as pass but not Corporate America. They also seem to give Steve Jobs a pass, go look at some of the things he did. Hypo's.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/1..._n_998325.html
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

  12. #12
    Forum Frontman It's Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.26.06
    Age
    43
    Location
    Vaughan, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    34,075
    Favorite VH Album

    like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

    12.10.17 @ 05:36 PM
    Likes
    1,314
    Liked 6,667 Times in 3,695 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pal1800 View Post
    Point is liberals or most of them give the Hollywood rich as pass but not Corporate America. They also seem to give Steve Jobs a pass, go look at some of the things he did. Hypo's.
    yup.

  13. #13
    Good Enough pal1800's Avatar
    Join Date
    10.30.07
    Age
    45
    Location
    Mandeville, LA
    Posts
    1,731
    Favorite VH Album

    Too hard to choose
    Favorite VH Song

    Too hard to choose
    Last Online

    06.02.16 @ 09:13 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Does Apple not outsource? Libs loathe outsourcing. Maybe I'm wrong.

  14. #14
    Forum Frontman It's Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.26.06
    Age
    43
    Location
    Vaughan, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    34,075
    Favorite VH Album

    like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

    12.10.17 @ 05:36 PM
    Likes
    1,314
    Liked 6,667 Times in 3,695 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pal1800 View Post
    Does Apple not outsource? Libs loathe outsourcing. Maybe I'm wrong.
    the next iphone that is made in america will be the first.

  15. #15
    Atomic Punk
    Join Date
    01.29.02
    Age
    49
    Location
    somewhere over the rainbow
    Posts
    22,946
    Last Online

    12.07.17 @ 12:54 PM
    Likes
    842
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pal1800 View Post
    Does Apple not outsource? Libs loathe outsourcing. Maybe I'm wrong.
    Gotta make a profit somehow...
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Hollywood Bowl
    By willy4pres in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05.15.07, 01:27 PM
  2. A&E: Sons of Hollywood
    By voivod in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04.02.07, 06:21 PM
  3. has anyone here gone to hollywood high school or north hollywood hs?
    By JMJ in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11.14.02, 10:31 PM
  4. 1970's Hollywood
    By amatha in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01.25.02, 08:34 PM
  5. to occupy time
    By cloudieskie in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01.05.02, 11:11 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •