Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 62
  1. #1
    Atomic Punk
    Join Date
    10.11.09
    Posts
    11,695
    Last Online

    05.23.18 @ 06:43 AM
    Likes
    735
    Liked 1,855 Times in 1,248 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default Hank Williams Jr compares Obama to Hitler

    http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/E...0311?GT1=39002

    Monday Night Football intro gets yanked because of it.

  2. #2
    Good Enough
    Join Date
    05.07.04
    Location
    Over Macho Grande
    Posts
    2,624
    Last Online

    05.23.18 @ 03:45 AM
    Likes
    74
    Liked 156 Times in 104 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rocknblues81 View Post

    Monday Night Football intro gets yanked because of it.
    That's the best news out of this. That intro was played out 15 years ago.
    Dealing with it.

  3. #3
    Atomic Punk Dave's Dreidel's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.10.05
    Age
    47
    Location
    P.F. Chang, South Korea
    Posts
    40,637
    Favorite VH Album

    Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

    The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

    05.22.18 @ 06:19 PM
    Likes
    3,995
    Liked 20,513 Times in 10,209 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Pretty idiotic to say. Once you start making comparisons like that in a political debate, people just tune you out.

    Also, he's a country music singer, why is he getting airplay about his political views anyway?
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

    Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

    David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

    A man's rights rests in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box

    Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

  4. #4
    Atomic Punk
    Join Date
    01.29.02
    Age
    49
    Location
    somewhere over the rainbow
    Posts
    22,957
    Last Online

    05.16.18 @ 11:48 AM
    Likes
    864
    Liked 1,240 Times in 454 Posts

    Default

    Out goes Hank Jr, in comes Hagar & Satriani !!
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack. -- Gen. George S. Patton

  5. #5
    Atomic Punk bsbll4's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.17.03
    Age
    34
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    9,005
    Favorite VH Album

    Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

    Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

    05.23.18 @ 08:09 AM
    Likes
    792
    Liked 2,593 Times in 1,314 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    I'm not sure what the big deal is here. It's not like he said Obama is acting like Hitler or anything. That I could see as being controversial. What he was doing was saying how absurd the pairing of the two was.

    Celebrities have said far worse and not faced any consequences, so I think this was a little overblown. But I guess if ESPN wants to keep having President Obama do his March Madness segment every year, they need to make sure he stays happy with them.

    However, I also agree with Dave's Dreidel here: I hate when celebrities spout their political views. Often times they know less than the average person when it comes to politics. See Matt Damon. If they could just skip the whole "celebrity endorsement" segment of the next campaign I would feel a little better about our democracy.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

  6. #6
    Atomic Punk ziggysmalls's Avatar
    Join Date
    11.24.03
    Location
    Cleveland, Oh
    Posts
    13,501
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

    05.23.18 @ 08:17 AM
    Likes
    2,935
    Liked 5,259 Times in 2,713 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Yeah he shouldn't have said it but then again a lot of celebrities said worse things about Bush. It's called freedom of speech however when your song is the theme for MNF, well ESPN has a right to remove you from the equation.

    I agree that most if not all celebrities should STFU. If they want to make a difference, quit your day job and run for office like Ahhhhnold or Sonny Bono.

  7. #7
    On Fire DoinTime's Avatar
    Join Date
    06.16.11
    Age
    39
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    389
    Favorite VH Album

    F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

    Aftershock
    Last Online

    04.26.12 @ 11:48 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Keep politicas out of music!

    You may not like the president, but respect the office!!! If you don't like it, leave the country, a-hole.

  8. #8
    Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    06.05.03
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    14,877
    Last Online

    05.23.18 @ 08:59 AM
    Likes
    999
    Liked 3,576 Times in 2,099 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    The statement was obviously hyperbole. In the context that I see it, it is difficult to tell that he was comparing one or the other to Hitler, just that the pairing is as juxtaposed (which is ridiculous).

    Comparing anyone to Hitler gets you nowhere (unless you're liberal and in the media/an entertainer).

    This is similar to what a lot of conservative/Republican entertainers have said which is that they live by a different set of rules in the industry.

    Keith Olbermann equated Bush and Hitler, yet he got to work on NBC's Football Night in America. In fact, no one really batted an eyelid.

    ESPN repeated lots of slander against Limbaugh when he made his ill-advised comments about Donovan McNabb, some of which was not even true, but they reported it anyway........

    Janeane Garofalo probably gets about as much work as HWJr., but she'll never suffer for the much more ugly comments she has made about conservatives, Republicans, Tea Partiers, and Libertarians, including that they are all racist, mentally retarded, and no different than those who used to lynch Blacks.

  9. #9
    Atomic Punk MF5150's Avatar
    Join Date
    06.05.04
    Age
    29
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    16,402
    Favorite VH Album

    Balance
    Favorite VH Song

    Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

    05.22.18 @ 06:38 PM
    Likes
    314
    Liked 456 Times in 281 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bsbll4 View Post
    I'm not sure what the big deal is here. It's not like he said Obama is acting like Hitler or anything. That I could see as being controversial. What he was doing was saying how absurd the pairing of the two was.

    Celebrities have said far worse and not faced any consequences, so I think this was a little overblown. But I guess if ESPN wants to keep having President Obama do his March Madness segment every year, they need to make sure he stays happy with them.

    However, I also agree with Dave's Dreidel here: I hate when celebrities spout their political views. Often times they know less than the average person when it comes to politics. See Matt Damon. If they could just skip the whole "celebrity endorsement" segment of the next campaign I would feel a little better about our democracy.
    I agree 100% with both your main points. There was no comparison between Hitler and Obama as individuals and secondly, celebrities should just steer clear of political statements. 95% of the time they lead to nothing but controversy, regardless of the actual, obvious meaning of their statements. That's unfortunate, but it is what it is.

    Anybody who thinks Williams was directly comparing Obama to Hitler better give their head a shake. He did nothing more than draw a comparison to the situation.

    But 90% of people just read headlines and let them dictate how they form an opinion on what they're reading in the article instead of sitting for a moment and actually thinking about what was said.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

  10. #10
    Forum Frontman It's Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.26.06
    Age
    44
    Location
    Vaughan, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    35,764
    Favorite VH Album

    like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

    05.23.18 @ 08:48 AM
    Likes
    1,532
    Liked 7,703 Times in 4,317 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MF5150 View Post
    I agree 100% with both your main points. There was no comparison between Hitler and Obama as individuals and secondly, celebrities should just steer clear of political statements. 95% of the time they lead to nothing but controversy, regardless of the actual, obvious meaning of their statements. That's unfortunate, but it is what it is.

    Anybody who thinks Williams was directly comparing Obama to Hitler better give their head a shake. He did nothing more than draw a comparison to the situation.

    But 90% of people just read headlines and let them dictate how they form an opinion on what they're reading in the article instead of sitting for a moment and actually thinking about what was said.
    actually he was comparing a republican leader playing golf with Obama to the an Israeli leader golfing with Hitler. That's exactly what was said. How anyone can even begin to find that to be even close to appropriate is beyond me. At best, Hank is a moron.

    ESPN did the only thing they could possible do, they pulled the song. They can't have their flagship associated with shit like this.

  11. #11
    Good Enough JakeK21's Avatar
    Join Date
    08.05.11
    Age
    24
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2,288
    Favorite VH Album

    All of them
    Favorite VH Song

    There's just too many
    Last Online

    10.26.15 @ 11:38 AM
    Likes
    124
    Liked 138 Times in 79 Posts

    Default

    I have to disagree on the discussion over celebrities getting into politics.

    Stephen Colbert was supporting immigrant workers, and at some hearing he basically told the politicians that none of them would actually listen to the immigrants, so he was using his celebrity as a voice for them.... I have no problem with any famous person making their political beliefs known, just as long as they are based on facts and make educated points. If somebody is going to base their own beliefs on what a celebrity says, then they shouldn't even be voting in the first place.

  12. #12
    Atomic Punk
    Join Date
    10.11.09
    Posts
    11,695
    Last Online

    05.23.18 @ 06:43 AM
    Likes
    735
    Liked 1,855 Times in 1,248 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    actually he was comparing a republican leader playing golf with Obama to the an Israeli leader golfing with Hitler. That's exactly what was said. How anyone can even begin to find that to be even close to appropriate is beyond me. At best, Hank is a moron.

    ESPN did the only thing they could possible do, they pulled the song. They can't have their flagship associated with shit like this.
    His greatness has always been a head scratcher for me. And yes, I've heard his music and I've never been impressed.

  13. #13
    Little Dreamer HankWilliamsJrJr's Avatar
    Join Date
    10.04.11
    Posts
    12
    Favorite VH Album

    Balance
    Favorite VH Song

    Can't Stop Lovin You
    Last Online

    11.10.11 @ 09:35 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Hey All, long time VH fan, but first time on this board. Also a big Hank Williams Jr and Sr fan, hence the name.

    Anyway, I must defend the man that will be the next US Senator from the great state of Tennessee. His comments in no way can be construed as saying Obama = Hitler. That is just a total lie and just a way to accuse a conservative Tea Partier of being a racist. That is an outrage!

    Sorry for being so strong on my first post. I appreciate a forum for espousing my musical and political views. I can already tell that some of you are real smart

  14. #14
    Atomic Punk
    Join Date
    07.11.05
    Age
    26
    Posts
    11,884
    Favorite VH Album

    Van Halen II/OU812
    Favorite VH Song

    Good Enough/Little Guitars
    Last Online

    03.30.18 @ 08:03 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 44 Times in 12 Posts

    Default

    Hank was not comparing Obama to Hitler. What he said was remarkably stupid regardless.
    "I respect that youre passionate about this but what your saying is complete idiocy..." - MF5150 on McDonald's "preying" on young kids.

    "He was born a human, he's a horse's ass by proxy." - It's Mike on Eddymon.

  15. #15
    ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Join Date
    10.08.06
    Posts
    32,542
    Last Online

    05.23.18 @ 01:29 AM
    Likes
    2,119
    Liked 7,950 Times in 4,279 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default


 

 

Similar Threads

  1. hank williams jr.
    By jack5150 in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 01.29.08, 01:23 PM
  2. Van halen with Hank Williams JR
    By scotter in forum Van Halen On The Tube
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 08.15.06, 02:50 PM
  3. Hank Williams Jr.'s daughters in wreck
    By TheresOnlyOneWay in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03.17.06, 02:10 PM
  4. VH and Hank Williams Jr.
    By Eddymon in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 01.07.03, 05:11 PM
  5. Does anyone have the Hank Williams Jr. Video with VH in it?
    By Bad to the Bone in forum Bootleg Network
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10.15.02, 02:19 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •