Register
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 07:42 PM
    Liked 1,474 Times in 1,004 Posts

Premium Member

Default Hank Williams Jr compares Obama to Hitler

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/E...0311?GT1=39002

Monday Night Football intro gets yanked because of it.

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 05:10 PM
    Liked 134 Times in 86 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rocknblues81 View Post

Monday Night Football intro gets yanked because of it.
    That's the best news out of this. That intro was played out 15 years ago.
    Dealing with it.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 05:27 PM
    Liked 18,114 Times in 8,948 Posts

Pretty idiotic to say. Once you start making comparisons like that in a political debate, people just tune you out.

Also, he's a country music singer, why is he getting airplay about his political views anyway?
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Out goes Hank Jr, in comes Hagar & Satriani !!
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 02:48 PM
    Liked 2,218 Times in 1,118 Posts

Premium Member

I'm not sure what the big deal is here. It's not like he said Obama is acting like Hitler or anything. That I could see as being controversial. What he was doing was saying how absurd the pairing of the two was.

Celebrities have said far worse and not faced any consequences, so I think this was a little overblown. But I guess if ESPN wants to keep having President Obama do his March Madness segment every year, they need to make sure he stays happy with them.

However, I also agree with Dave's Dreidel here: I hate when celebrities spout their political views. Often times they know less than the average person when it comes to politics. See Matt Damon. If they could just skip the whole "celebrity endorsement" segment of the next campaign I would feel a little better about our democracy.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 08:24 AM
    Liked 4,797 Times in 2,448 Posts

Premium Member

Yeah he shouldn't have said it but then again a lot of celebrities said worse things about Bush. It's called freedom of speech however when your song is the theme for MNF, well ESPN has a right to remove you from the equation.

I agree that most if not all celebrities should STFU. If they want to make a difference, quit your day job and run for office like Ahhhhnold or Sonny Bono.

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Aftershock
    Last Online

04.26.12 @ 12:48 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Keep politicas out of music!

You may not like the president, but respect the office!!! If you don't like it, leave the country, a-hole.

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 04:57 PM
    Liked 3,107 Times in 1,819 Posts

Premium Member

The statement was obviously hyperbole. In the context that I see it, it is difficult to tell that he was comparing one or the other to Hitler, just that the pairing is as juxtaposed (which is ridiculous).

Comparing anyone to Hitler gets you nowhere (unless you're liberal and in the media/an entertainer).

This is similar to what a lot of conservative/Republican entertainers have said which is that they live by a different set of rules in the industry.

Keith Olbermann equated Bush and Hitler, yet he got to work on NBC's Football Night in America. In fact, no one really batted an eyelid.

ESPN repeated lots of slander against Limbaugh when he made his ill-advised comments about Donovan McNabb, some of which was not even true, but they reported it anyway........

Janeane Garofalo probably gets about as much work as HWJr., but she'll never suffer for the much more ugly comments she has made about conservatives, Republicans, Tea Partiers, and Libertarians, including that they are all racist, mentally retarded, and no different than those who used to lynch Blacks.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 411 Times in 246 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bsbll4 View Post
    I'm not sure what the big deal is here. It's not like he said Obama is acting like Hitler or anything. That I could see as being controversial. What he was doing was saying how absurd the pairing of the two was.

Celebrities have said far worse and not faced any consequences, so I think this was a little overblown. But I guess if ESPN wants to keep having President Obama do his March Madness segment every year, they need to make sure he stays happy with them.

However, I also agree with Dave's Dreidel here: I hate when celebrities spout their political views. Often times they know less than the average person when it comes to politics. See Matt Damon. If they could just skip the whole "celebrity endorsement" segment of the next campaign I would feel a little better about our democracy.
    I agree 100% with both your main points. There was no comparison between Hitler and Obama as individuals and secondly, celebrities should just steer clear of political statements. 95% of the time they lead to nothing but controversy, regardless of the actual, obvious meaning of their statements. That's unfortunate, but it is what it is.

Anybody who thinks Williams was directly comparing Obama to Hitler better give their head a shake. He did nothing more than draw a comparison to the situation.

But 90% of people just read headlines and let them dictate how they form an opinion on what they're reading in the article instead of sitting for a moment and actually thinking about what was said.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 07:02 PM
    Liked 6,673 Times in 3,698 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MF5150 View Post
    I agree 100% with both your main points. There was no comparison between Hitler and Obama as individuals and secondly, celebrities should just steer clear of political statements. 95% of the time they lead to nothing but controversy, regardless of the actual, obvious meaning of their statements. That's unfortunate, but it is what it is.

Anybody who thinks Williams was directly comparing Obama to Hitler better give their head a shake. He did nothing more than draw a comparison to the situation.

But 90% of people just read headlines and let them dictate how they form an opinion on what they're reading in the article instead of sitting for a moment and actually thinking about what was said.
    actually he was comparing a republican leader playing golf with Obama to the an Israeli leader golfing with Hitler. That's exactly what was said. How anyone can even begin to find that to be even close to appropriate is beyond me. At best, Hank is a moron.

ESPN did the only thing they could possible do, they pulled the song. They can't have their flagship associated with shit like this.

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

There's just too many
    Last Online

10.26.15 @ 12:38 PM
    Liked 138 Times in 79 Posts

I have to disagree on the discussion over celebrities getting into politics.

Stephen Colbert was supporting immigrant workers, and at some hearing he basically told the politicians that none of them would actually listen to the immigrants, so he was using his celebrity as a voice for them.... I have no problem with any famous person making their political beliefs known, just as long as they are based on facts and make educated points. If somebody is going to base their own beliefs on what a celebrity says, then they shouldn't even be voting in the first place.

Last Online

12.12.17 @ 07:42 PM
    Liked 1,474 Times in 1,004 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    actually he was comparing a republican leader playing golf with Obama to the an Israeli leader golfing with Hitler. That's exactly what was said. How anyone can even begin to find that to be even close to appropriate is beyond me. At best, Hank is a moron.

ESPN did the only thing they could possible do, they pulled the song. They can't have their flagship associated with shit like this.
    His greatness has always been a head scratcher for me. And yes, I've heard his music and I've never been impressed.

Little Dreamer HankWilliamsJrJr's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Can't Stop Lovin You
    Last Online

11.10.11 @ 10:35 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey All, long time VH fan, but first time on this board. Also a big Hank Williams Jr and Sr fan, hence the name.

Anyway, I must defend the man that will be the next US Senator from the great state of Tennessee. His comments in no way can be construed as saying Obama = Hitler. That is just a total lie and just a way to accuse a conservative Tea Partier of being a racist. That is an outrage!

Sorry for being so strong on my first post. I appreciate a forum for espousing my musical and political views. I can already tell that some of you are real smart

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II/OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Good Enough/Little Guitars
    Last Online

06.25.15 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 42 Times in 11 Posts

Hank was not comparing Obama to Hitler. What he said was remarkably stupid regardless.
    "I respect that youre passionate about this but what your saying is complete idiocy..." - MF5150 on McDonald's "preying" on young kids.

"He was born a human, he's a horse's ass by proxy." - It's Mike on Eddymon.

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 04:19 PM
    Liked 6,825 Times in 3,568 Posts

Premium Member