Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Romeo Delight
    Last Online

12.29.12 @ 06:28 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default I just got Chickenfoot 3 on vinyl and...

First the 3D cover and sleeves are worth buying the record for. They spared no expense with the cool 3D pictures and a pair of 3D glasses to look at them with. The vinyl is red and a nice touch as far as looks go. But...

The sound, what the hell happened? The record sounds absolutly terrible! There is this loud tape hiss sound between tracks and the recording just sounds dull. Either they did a terrible job of mastering or they pressed the hell out of one master disc. I love vinyl and this is not even enjoyable. Also on the last album they included a free download of the CD. Not this time.

So what happened guys???

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

08.31.12 @ 03:41 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have seen this mentioned somewhere else as well - hope they didn't mess up the mastering/preparation of the LP version.

Both the HQ Spotify stream and the CD (I don't have the vinyl version) sounds crisp and punchy to me both on my stereo system and via headphones. Probably not a benchmark recording for audiophiles (those rarely come around these days due to the popularity of compressing the output), but absolutely not worse than albums in general these days.

Last Online

12.10.17 @ 08:16 PM
    Liked 93 Times in 37 Posts

Could you exchange it at the store, basically tell them of the poor audio quality? It's possible you got a bad one and of course possible that your next one would sound the same (just as bad). I don't think BB here even had the vinyl in stock yet- says available online or order in store. I haven't bought vinyl since probably the mid-90's but I was thinking of picking up this one and CF 1. My old collection of VH albums from the first record onward is still in fantastic shape. I used to keep on top of the turntable cartridge and used the original discwasher system on the albums. Anyone remember that special brush with the (faux) wooden handle and the fluid?

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Of course be sure to do the dummy test and verify that your record player/stereo system is operating properly.

Otherwise, it sounds like a manufacturing flaw. I'd return the LP if possible. You know the guys in CF will be all about seeing those problems get fixed for fans if it turns out to be a broader issue.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

12.29.12 @ 06:28 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks for the suggestions. I am serious about vinyl though. I have an audiophile system and it is in very good working condition.The record is bad I have no doubt about that. I think the record store I go to has a no return policy on vinyl so I may be SOL.

Last Online

What type of turntable and cartridge do you have? I take it then that CF 1 on vinyl was quite good? How would you say it compared to the sound of the cd? Still nothing quite like spinning an album and having something to look at that doesn't require a magnifying glass. The cover and sleeves of CF III have got to be wild. There was an already opened CF 1 album at BB and I was surprised it was actually on two albums. Seemed like nice thick vinyl stock like back in the bad old good old days.

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.07.17 @ 12:54 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by donkost View Post
    Anyone remember that special brush with the (faux) wooden handle and the fluid?
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Last Online

11.26.16 @ 03:00 AM
    Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by siranthony View Post
    First the 3D cover and sleeves are worth buying the record for. They spared no expense with the cool 3D pictures and a pair of 3D glasses to look at them with. The vinyl is red and a nice touch as far as looks go. But...

The sound, what the hell happened? The record sounds absolutly terrible! There is this loud tape hiss sound between tracks and the recording just sounds dull. Either they did a terrible job of mastering or they pressed the hell out of one master disc. I love vinyl and this is not even enjoyable. Also on the last album they included a free download of the CD. Not this time.

So what happened guys???
    Received mind yesterday love the package, I do here the hissing (it's not loud) between songs but my sound is not dull just as good as the cd if not better. I have a Crosley phonograph player

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

10.05.11 @ 09:38 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by siranthony View Post

The sound, what the hell happened? The record sounds absolutely terrible! There is this loud tape hiss sound between tracks and the recording just sounds dull. Either they did a terrible job of mastering or they pressed the hell out of one master disc. I love vinyl and this is not even enjoyable. Also on the last album they included a free download of the CD. Not this time.

So what happened guys???
    I have to agree with this. I got the record on vinyl yesterday. There is a constant hissing sound. Sometimes I can even hear it during the song. To make matters worse I didn't even get the typical benefits of vinyl. There is no increased stereo separation, the depth of the sounds stage has not increased and the separation between the instruments is only slightly better then on the CD.

In short this is just a poor album on vinyl all around. Sounds like it is a bad master process and a bad pressing process. It's to bad to because I think the CD was really well produced and I was looking forward to getting the vinyl experience on several of the songs - Different Devil, Come Closer, Dubui Blues, etc... I guess it was not to be.

Last Online

This is really surprising considering these guys are from the vinyl era. I was really looking forward to picking up CF I and III on vinyl and then purchasing a mid-range turntable to get back into it again. My trusty Technics turntable w/Shure cartridge from the 80's is still at my parent's house but I have to wonder if it is still in operating condition. I see many of them now have USB connections and conversion software but I wouldn't even be doing that as I also have CD's, MP3's, etc. What is the general consensus of CF I on vinyl? For around $20 for the vinyl version you'd hope to be getting more than just a collector's item.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

10.05.11 @ 09:38 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This is really surprising considering these guys are from the vinyl era. I was really looking forward to picking up CF I and III on vinyl and then purchasing a mid-range turntable to get back into it again. My trusty Technics turntable w/Shure cartridge from the 80's is still at my parent's house but I have to wonder if it is still in operating condition. I see many of them now have USB connections and conversion software but I wouldn't even be doing that as I also have CD's, MP3's, etc. What is the general consensus of CF I on vinyl? For around $20 for the vinyl version you'd hope to be getting more than just a collector's item.
    I thought Chickenfoot I was pretty good on vinyl. It is by no means an audiophile record, but it definitely delivered the vinyl experience: Better stereo separation; deeper sound stage; clearer separation between the instruments, etc. That is why I was so surprised and disappointed when I heard Chickenfoot III on vinyl. They got it right on the first one but obviously something changed.

Favorite VH Album

The new one, Hopefully!
    Favorite VH Song

Impossible
    Last Online

04.18.17 @ 03:53 PM
    Liked 102 Times in 54 Posts

Could you exchange it at the store, basically tell them of the poor audio quality? It's possible you got a bad one and of course possible that your next one would sound the same (just as bad). I don't think BB here even had the vinyl in stock yet- says available online or order in store. I haven't bought vinyl since probably the mid-90's but I was thinking of picking up this one and CF 1. My old collection of VH albums from the first record onward is still in fantastic shape. I used to keep on top of the turntable cartridge and used the original discwasher system on the albums. Anyone remember that special brush with the (faux) wooden handle and the fluid?
    The velour brush and the secret cleaner. My brother used rubbing alcohol.

And this whole thing is giving me second thoughts about buying a record player/turntable. If it's not recorded on 2" tape in the first place then I feel it's not the real Mccoy.

Last Online

Anyone have any additional experiences to share with the CF III vinyl? I have got to try and pick up at least CF I and VH ADKOT on vinyl and get back into the swing of things with analog. Hell I grew up on vinyl, bought (well my parents bought) my first 45 The Beatles Hey Jude/Revolution when I was 5. It was just released and I had to have that song (still have the 45).

Still enjoying the CF III cd and remembering the excitement of watching the launch webcast, etc. Everything is eclipsed now by the new VH and I am into that as well. I can enjoy the new VH and still love hearing CF FITP for instance.