Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

There's just too many
    Last Online

10.26.15 @ 12:38 PM
    Liked 138 Times in 79 Posts

Default Question about mixing speakers

So I'd like to replace the G12T-75's in my Marshall cab with something alot better. I have no experience myself playing through Greenbacks or Vintage 30's, but judging by the descriptions and youtube vids, they seem like my two favorites. I like the idea of having the V30's for leads, but having the Greenback's classic, warm tone for more rhythm, bluesy stuff.

Would it be best to go with all V30's or Greenbacks, or would it work to have a mix of two and two and get the "best of both worlds"? haha

Whichever one I choose (or if I go with both), I'm gonna buy the WGS versions. They're much cheaper and they still sound really good.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JakeK21 View Post
    So I'd like to replace the G12T-75's in my Marshall cab with something alot better. I have no experience myself playing through Greenbacks or Vintage 30's, but judging by the descriptions and youtube vids, they seem like my two favorites. I like the idea of having the V30's for leads, but having the Greenback's classic, warm tone for more rhythm, bluesy stuff.

Would it be best to go with all V30's or Greenbacks, or would it work to have a mix of two and two and get the "best of both worlds"? haha

Whichever one I choose (or if I go with both), I'm gonna buy the WGS versions. They're much cheaper and they still sound really good.

Any help would be much appreciated.
    You can mix 2 and 2. I know of a lot of guys who mix those 2 speakers in a 4x12 cab. Just install them in an X pattern -- gives you 4 different tones while recording too. Just make sure to get all 4 in the same impedance (either get all 8 or all 16 ohm versions)

I personally have WGS speakers and I LOVE them. I have a 'Green Beret', a 'Retro 30', and a 'Veteran 30'. Both the Retro and Veteran 30 are Vintage 30 clones. The Retro is more of an exact copy, and the Veteran has a smoother, although still very similar tone.

I wish I could recommend which one of the V30 clones I like better, but I just haven't done enough recording with both to know yet. So far, the Retro is definitely a little brighter and crisper, and the Retro seems to have a little 'fatter' and beefier tone. Definitely has a lot of low mids.

But both are very usable, and each could be more desirable depending on what you need in the mix. Do you have a dull amp? Get the Retros, they'll cut more. Got a harsh and bright hi-gain amp (like a 5150)? The Veteran might work better for you. Mixing either with the Green Berets in a 4x12 should give you great results.

You can probably sell your current speakers and make back most of the price of the new WGS ones too. Don't sell them til you know you like the new tone though!
    Last edited by mrjstudios; 09.25.11 at 07:56 PM.

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

There's just too many
    Last Online

10.26.15 @ 12:38 PM
    Liked 138 Times in 79 Posts

Thank you so much!

I'm anxious to finally do this. Good to see another positive review of WGS too. It seems like the Retro 30 might be better for my amp (a Blackstar HT-100).

Once I get around to ordering these things and getting them installed, it's gonna be smooth-sailing, haha.

Oh, and thanks for the info on the 8 and 16 ohms thing. I don't know too much about that stuff, so good thing you mentioned it.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 1,374 Times in 803 Posts

I know of people who have done this deal of mixing two different speaker types, and I like the idea.
    My favorite combo was my friend John having two 30w Celestion's, and two vintage Fane's in one cab.
    The nice thing about is you can mic up two different speakers and roll in or roll off a particular speaker to get a real unique sound because of the different dynamic response, or simply mic whatever speaker works for a particular venue or studio situation.... or do what some guys do and wire up a 2x2 stereo config, and you can either run two head, or, split from 1 preamp/effects/stereo or dual poweramp setup, and run a single cabinet which can be mic'd in true stereo.

This is something I was thinking of experimenting with in one of my old 4x12 cabs.