Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Last Online

05.23.17 @ 11:53 AM
    Liked 137 Times in 67 Posts

Default Van Halen trying to recapture that classic sound

Just came across this vid on youtube. I believe it's legit. Someone could have really good equipment but that's Van Halen on newer equipment as far as I'm concerned. Sounds to me like the band messing around before the '07 tour.

Is this good or bad though? Van Halen with Sammy and at the end had really deviated from that classic sound and had grown as a band imo. Michael Anthony's bass sound was completely different. Alex had experimented with electric drums. Keyboards everything in between. VH has always been about being the best and having the best and one upping the other guy. Listen to their songs. They are all about fast cars and hot women. Even with Sammy. That's why they clicked. That was the 80's. We are in a different era though. I also believe Dave was just not willing to grow as a band with the times and just wanted to keep that classic sound.

Eddie supposedly has always said he has all this new music that he has been writing all along. But was that just scrapped completely and is VH trying to recapture something else entirely?

At the very end it was pretty clear to me Eddie's drug and alcohol abuse had robbed him of some of his focus and creativity. Songs like Up for Breakfast were trying to recapture that classic sound. Then he was going completely other directions with It's about time. That solo he did Catherine was something else entirely. He was all over the place.

Is recapturing that classic sound the band regaining a focus? Or is it something that can't be done and just won't succeed.
    Last edited by JudgementDay; 09.24.11 at 06:58 AM.

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 09:22 AM
    Liked 6,815 Times in 3,564 Posts

Premium Member

Really dig the spray paint can at 44 seconds... very innovative.

Last Online

That was Dave's new instrument. Vocal issues.

Last Online

I'd almost rather Eddie continue to innovate and come out with new stuff though. But he needs a band around him to do it which I'm not sure is even possible anymore. Which alot of it is his own fault. Not entirely, but we are going to end up with something else. Not groundbreaking or innovative but more of the same but not quite as good.

I think this is where Sammy was good. Same with Mike. I think they were willing to experiment with anything as long as Eddie wasn't being a total jackass.

I don't think the band would ever sell out with those guys. Dave on the other hand I wonder sometimes. I think Dave sometimes would be happy just rehashing the same crap. Milking it to the end. I think Sammy and Mike were more about just making music and letting the fans hear it.
    Last edited by JudgementDay; 09.24.11 at 07:19 AM.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.02.17 @ 07:05 AM
    Liked 199 Times in 105 Posts

That's off the EVH website from 2 or 3 years ago.

edit, some of it is still there.
    http://www.evhgear.com/wolfgang/media.php
    Last edited by sinner's swing; 09.24.11 at 07:20 AM.

Last Online

Right. I think it's eddie playing though with alex and someone else. I don't think it's mike. I think it's wolfgang.

Plus all of eddie's equipment recently has been centered around recapturing that classic sound.
    Last edited by JudgementDay; 09.24.11 at 07:29 AM.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.02.17 @ 07:05 AM
    Liked 199 Times in 105 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JudgementDay View Post
    Right. I think it's eddie playing though with alex and someone else. I don't think it's mike. I think it's wolfgang.

Plus all of eddie's equipment recently has been centered around recapturing that classic sound.
    Pretty sure it's Al, Ed and Wolf playing around in the studio. I know it's in a thread somewhere.

Last Online

Maybe I'm giving the newest incarnation of VH too much flack. Wolfie included. Here's VH at the end of their tour playing Romeo Delight.

I think this particular show is awesome. I think Wolfie's background vocals and bass playing is actually really good. He also has a certain style I actually like. He's a kid, but I can hear his style which is pretty rare for a kid. He has a different style than Mike and I can hear it. And Dave's voice got better at the end. He sounded really rough and old at first but his voice started to clear up. Raspier than back in the day but he sounds pretty awesome here.

Maybe they can do it and recapture some of that magic.
    Last edited by JudgementDay; 09.24.11 at 07:55 AM.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:47 AM
    Liked 18,072 Times in 8,927 Posts

Most boots I have seen from the 07/08 tour they are pretty good, and I caught a good show.

Most boots I have seen from the 04 tour are pretty horrible, and I caught maybe the worst professional show I have ever seen.

It's all about whether Ed can stay sober. I think the album will be good, not great, and I think the following tour will be better than the 07/08.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Last Online

AC DC's black ice came out really good i thought. They have changed members a bit. I dont expect VH to be #1. Too many kids these days are listening to crap rock that is today and lady gaga or alternative bands. That seems to be what is in style.

But music is pretty timeless. Pearl Jam and U2 still were selling close to a million copies. Bon Jovi has done well. Chickenfoot did well too. These guys really arent any younger than VH. The Chili Peppers are still doing well.

Like you said if VH stays sober there is no reason why this album can't be bigger than Balance which was the band starting to slack in sales. This is the return of VH and their original members which is what Ross Hogarth was marketing it as and it should be bigger than Balance.

I just don't want this band to end up like Metallica of late or GNR which are bands that have really just fallen off the map imo and have lost something musically. That was VH with III. They were just a train wreck.

AC DC is older has seen just as much crap and is still releasing quality music. Just look at aerosmith. They are even older. Probably did even more drugs. Time is starting to catch up with them a bit but the grind off honkin with bobo is still pretty classic aerosmith.

Rock on.
    Last edited by JudgementDay; 09.24.11 at 09:42 AM.

Last Online

What i find weird is Van Hagar was such a departure from that original sound, I don't know how a band can just switch back and forth like that.

These nostalgia bands are pretty popular these days. Maybe Eddie was feeling Van Hagar had run its course and is feeling nostalgic. I just dont understand how you can from trying all these different things with Sammy then back to what you were doing before. That's life I guess. You have to make the best of what is in front of you.

It does kind of make the band seem kind of fake though.
    Last edited by JudgementDay; 09.24.11 at 12:54 PM.

Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:27 AM
    Liked 2,272 Times in 1,165 Posts

Check out these 15 year olds playing W&CF's "Fools".

Fucking unreal effort for such an obviously young group of teenagers.

Great to see "the kids" appreciating the Mighty VH in 2011.

Last Online

Maybe more people want to hear that classic sound vs just making music. That's the unfortunate reality these days. IT's not necessarily a bad thing. I've just seen the trend of these reunion tours and that's what sells. People want to hear really new stuff or they want to hear classics.

There are rock bands that are much younger than VH. I got into bands like Thrice and Queens of the Stone Age. the deftones. StainD. All pretty heavy. Guitar driven rock. I even got into more alternative stuff that isn't as heavy. More lyrically driven.

Like what was said in another thread and I've heard from teh younger generation before. Some people just didn't like sammy's voice and never even listened to it. Which doesn't really make their opinion any more valid. Pretty closeminded and you are actually missing out on a lot of good music. They say they don't like it but they never listened to it. So what kind of an opinion is that?

Sammy was a change from the original core but is kind of getting lost. Which is too bad. BEcause it's great in it's own way. It's playign second fiddle all over again.

But that's the younger generation. There is so much media these days. They won't even listen if it isn't their style. If it isn't right in front of them. Music can grow on you and you can gain an appreciation with an open mind. But a lot of closemindedness.

Kids. They will listen to the same song over and over. But they won't really explore beyond that. It's not just an age thing either. It's just a lot of people are like that.
    Last edited by JudgementDay; 09.24.11 at 04:01 PM.

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 09:24 AM
    Liked 530 Times in 278 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by noise next door View Post
    Check out these 15 year olds playing W&CF's "Fools".

Fucking unreal effort for such an obviously young group of teenagers.

Great to see "the kids" appreciating the Mighty VH in 2011.

Great find there. Great swagger and a strong, faithful cover of a fairly deep cut.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 04:07 PM
    Liked 1,383 Times in 758 Posts

I think this discussion is setting the bar way too high. Who cares about the sound at this point. First let's hear some decent tunes played honestly by a bunch of guys who care. Once that's taken care of we can worry about the sound.
    Little Dreamer