Favorite VH Album

('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 12:11 PM
    Liked 1,033 Times in 543 Posts

Default Chickenfoot III - Your Album Review

Probably time to move reviews to one place now that people are getting their hands on the full album.
    VH with Dave ('78-'84) - The best years....the "real" VH.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.
    VH with Gary ('98) - Fucking disaster. WTF was that??
    VH with Wolf/Dave ('12-'15) - Amazing comeback. Smokin' album and tours.

Last Online

02.18.16 @ 03:10 PM
    Liked 144 Times in 51 Posts

I will save my full review for when I have the quality sound of the CD, but preliminarily based off several spins of the crappy-sounding YouTube version, this is a great, great, album. It'll take 6 months with it to put it in proper historical perspective, but I get a feeling this will be up there with anything Hagar has done. It sounds that good at first blush.
    Anonymous for fear of fatwa

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

04.13.15 @ 11:52 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I agree that reviews almost need to be saved for when you have the album in your CD player and can listen to the whole thing, uninterrupted, from start to finish.

But that said, some thoughts of mine...

They definitely didn't just re-hash what worked on CFI. Their first time out was almost like a non-stop party. Indeed, the vibe of the first CD was exactly what the genesis of Chickenfoot really was--and that was four talented musicians getting together, goofing off and having fun. The only real serious notes on the first album were "Avenida Revolucion" and "Runnin' Out". Everything else was either party rockers or extended jam sessions.

CFIII is a completely different approach, and it's been said that they sound much more like "a band" on this CD and I would completely agree. The feel good vibe is still there, but they definitely explore some deeper territory this go-round. Sammy has delivered perhaps his best vocal performance (both lyrically and in terms of belting out the words) in over a decade. He is oft criticised for mailing it in with his lyrics, being overly simplistic, or sticking with very obvious euphamisms for sex, booze and rock. This time out, we see Sammy going deeper with his lyrics and really offering up a cleaner, but at the same time grungier sound with his voice.

Joe provides several tasty riffs and a whole whack of great solos. He plays excellently within the context of the band without being too big, but he also is able to dictate the pace on most of the songs. However, there are times where he steps back and allows Mike and/or Chad to do just that, something that never would have flown in a band such as Van Halen.

Mike and Chad provide a strong, consistent rhythm section for the band, and I think this is probably the most noticeable we have ever seen Mike Anthony on a record--period. His backing vocals are incredibly powerful throughout the entire record, and his bass playing is extremely prominent on several songs. You can really hear his chops shining through, and Joe's quote the other day was incredibly telling - that he can't just noodle around and play bigger than the band and ask Chad and Mike "to play straight rhythm". Again, not something EVH would ever have allowed.

The songs themselves are, for the most part, teriffic. Like others, the only point that I found didn't really work was "Three and a Half Letters". The verses where Sammy is reading out letters actually work for me, but the chorus of screaming "I need a job" really lacked any sort of melody that kind of buzzkilled the song for me.

The album highlights for me: Alright, Alright, Different Devil, Up Next, Come Closer, Dubai Blues, and Something's Going Wrong

Overall Review: I think they managed to top CFI, and that makes me extremely happy. Don't go into this expecting it to be exactly the same as their first outting, because it is very different--but different in this case is good. This is the kind of CD I wish Van Halen would make, but Chickenfoot has arrived on the scene and established themselves as a worthy contender on the rock scene.

5/5
    The song ain't dirty it's really just the way we sing it...

Favorite VH Album

They're all shit
    Last Online

11.19.17 @ 09:41 AM
    Liked 34 Times in 20 Posts

I've been trying to work out when I have heard any of these musicians do anything as touching, deep and poignant as "Come Closer".

Gave up. Not important anyway.

If this album was only that one song, they would already have a winner.

Not that they will hear this, but thankyou Sammy, Joe, Mike and Chad.

(ps. That arpeggio guitar break. Adjectives not required. Only headphones and a pure heart. Rest easy and put your heads back my friends)
    A man could lose himself in a country like this.

My blog at http://tollins.blogspot.de/

Good Enough namedmydaughterHALEN's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

vh II OR balance
    Favorite VH Song

damn near all of them!
    Last Online

04.19.17 @ 04:47 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts

Premium Member

aint crazy about it! first was much better.

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

I feel like I've already kinda reviewed the thing with posts in other threads, but I haven't commented on every single track. So here's a bullet point-style look at the thing track by track.

1. "Last Temptation"
    Nice opener. Took me a while to accept the simple riff, but the chorus is badass.

2. "Alright, Alright"
    Probabaly the most fun you'll ever have singing about much you're sick of someone.

3. "Different Devil"
    I don't think this tune sounds a bit like Van Halen despite what anyone else has posted. That being said, pretty good ... kinda typical Hagar tune. Sounds more like the Wabos than the Foot.

4. "Up Next"
    Holy shit! This song is perfect for cranking up in the car and singing along with the chorus. One of this album's power hitters.

5. "Lighten Up"
    Hasn't grown on me yet, but I'm sure it will just based on Joe's awesome Blackmore-style intro.

6. "Come Closer"
    Hands-down the band's most well-crafted song to date and probably the hardest-hitting song I've ever heard Sam write. Fucking incredible. If they come up with something close to this on the next record.......wow.

7. "Three and a Half Letters"
    This song is taking heat for reasons I don't get. It's not a favorite track of mine, but at the same time I've never heard anything like it. It pisses me off when I hear it, and I think it's supposed to.

8. "Big Foot"
    As when I first heard it last month, good and fun. Basic straight ahead no-frills rock song. Who hasn't driven all night for a piece of pussy at least once? I get it. I like it.

9. "Dubai Blues"
    Love Sam's lyrics on this one. Wouldn't ever call this a 'blues' song as it just kicks too much ass. Mike's bass on this is one of the best performances I've ever heard him do.

10. "Something Going Wrong"
    Nice companion piece to BBTW, yet surpasses it in every way. Another great examples of the harmonies that Sam and Mike are capable of.

11. "No Change"
    Once again, they saved the best for last. This is gonna be the song that gets the venues shut down when they go on the road so it really NEEDS to be the closer. The hardest, toughest rocker on the disc.

Never thought an album called "III" could whomp as much ass as this one does. Surpasses the first disc. Excellent follow-up, and proof that this is much much more than a "side project".
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 11:52 AM
    Liked 11,545 Times in 4,919 Posts

I listened to the first album today. Not sure how anyone can say it's better than this one...it isn't.

The chorus on Last Temptation is one of the highlights for me.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

5150-Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

12.22.16 @ 01:39 PM
    Liked 30 Times in 21 Posts

I'm just in awe of this thing. Song after song..wow.

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

Liked 6,823 Times in 3,568 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by LLFHS View Post
    I feel like I've already kinda reviewed the thing with posts in other threads, but I haven't commented on every single track. So here's a bullet point-style look at the thing track by track.

1. "Last Temptation"
    Nice opener. Took me a while to accept the simple riff, but the chorus is badass.

2. "Alright, Alright"
    Probabaly the most fun you'll ever have singing about much you're sick of someone.

3. "Different Devil"
    I don't think this tune sounds a bit like Van Halen despite what anyone else has posted. That being said, pretty good ... kinda typical Hagar tune. Sounds more like the Wabos than the Foot.

4. "Up Next"
    Holy shit! This song is perfect for cranking up in the car and singing along with the chorus. One of this album's power hitters.

5. "Lighten Up"
    Hasn't grown on me yet, but I'm sure it will just based on Joe's awesome Blackmore-style intro.

6. "Come Closer"
    Hands-down the band's most well-crafted song to date and probably the hardest-hitting song I've ever heard Sam write. Fucking incredible. If they come up with something close to this on the next record.......wow.

7. "Three and a Half Letters"
    This song is taking heat for reasons I don't get. It's not a favorite track of mine, but at the same time I've never heard anything like it. It pisses me off when I hear it, and I think it's supposed to.

8. "Big Foot"
    As when I first heard it last month, good and fun. Basic straight ahead no-frills rock song. Who hasn't driven all night for a piece of pussy at least once? I get it. I like it.

9. "Dubai Blues"
    Love Sam's lyrics on this one. Wouldn't ever call this a 'blues' song as it just kicks too much ass. Mike's bass on this is one of the best performances I've ever heard him do.

10. "Something Going Wrong"
    Nice companion piece to BBTW, yet surpasses it in every way. Another great examples of the harmonies that Sam and Mike are capable of.

11. "No Change"
    Once again, they saved the best for last. This is gonna be the song that gets the venues shut down when they go on the road so it really NEEDS to be the closer. The hardest, toughest rocker on the disc.

Never thought an album called "III" could whomp as much ass as this one does. Surpasses the first disc. Excellent follow-up, and proof that this is much much more than a "side project".

Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    I listened to the first album today. Not sure how anyone can say it's better than this one...it isn't.

The chorus on Last Temptation is one of the highlights for me.
    Can we still like the first album?

Last Online

Premium Member

Last Online

05.01.12 @ 10:03 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My opinoin. Its not so great.

Too much of noisy guitar.

Too much Mike background harmony (sounds the same for a few of the songs).

Not enough Chad.

But I do love Last Temptation, and the hidden track.

And if you guys think Come Closer is some deep love feeling, break your heart song, you need to grow some balls. Its a horrible song.

Listen to Donut City after this album, blows away anything on this new album.

Just my opinion. Im sure the new VH album wont be any better.
    Yes

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

Love them all
    Favorite VH Song

Love them all
    Last Online

03.31.15 @ 07:34 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by LLFHS View Post

9. "Dubai Blues"
    After reading this I went and listened again with a nice pair of headphones. You are right on with your comment ... Mike's bass is incredible on this song. On first blush it seems to be a simple two finger strum, but it really starts to build the tension along with the shieks blue balls These songs are SO good, and will have great replay value. There is depth all over the place.
    "I play like I'm breaking out of jail" - Stevie Ray Vaughan

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Number 47 View Post
    Can we still like the first album?
    Yeah sure what the hell.
    Webmaster

JamToThis.com
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by HailNgirl View Post
    My opinoin. Its not so great.

Too much of noisy guitar.

Too much Mike background harmony (sounds the same for a few of the songs).

Not enough Chad.

But I do love Last Temptation, and the hidden track.

And if you guys think Come Closer is some deep love feeling, break your heart song, you need to grow some balls. Its a horrible song.

Listen to Donut City after this album, blows away anything on this new album.

Just my opinion. Im sure the new VH album wont be any better.
    Uh......yeah. Cocaine is a helluva drug.

Donut City? There's an interesting and absolutely bizarre comparison.

Damn that noisy guitar!
    Webmaster

JamToThis.com
    Tons of Van Halen!