Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Default U.S. Hikers Reportedly Released on Bail (Ransom) From Iranian Prison

TEHRAN – The two American hikers jailed as spies in Iran were released Wednesday on bail into the custody of the Omani envoy in Tehran, Fox News reported.

Their release was granted for Shane Bauer and Josh Fattal after a court approved a $1 million bail-for-freedom deal that cleared the way for the release.

"The case is over," Masoud Shafiei, the Iranian attorney for the two, said. "The court has ordered that they be freed on bail."

Shafiei could not independently confirm the men were released.

They were arrested along the Iran-Iraq border in July 2009 and sentenced last month to eight years each in prison. A third American in the group, Sarah Shourd, was freed last year on bail.

Shafiei said he would meet the two Americans at 3:00 p.m. at Tehran's notorious Evin prison.

They will then be handed over to the Swiss diplomats who represent American interests in Iran because the U.S. has no diplomatic relations with Iran.

"Now we can say they are finally free," the lawyer told The Associated Press. "They can go to the U.S. the way (their friend) Sarah did."

The case of Bauer and Fattal, who were convicted of spying for the United States, has deepened the mistrust between Washington and Tehran.

Shafiei said the bail of $500,000 for each of the men was posted after some last-minute problems in the bank were resolved. He did not say what the source of the money was.

"There is no obstacle to their freedom now," the lawyer said. "It's only a matter of time before they are out of jail."

The release of the pair will likely follow the pattern of that of Shourd, who was set free last September after a $500,000 bails was posted. She was then flown on a private plane to the Omani capital, Muscat.

Last week, Oman dispatched a plane belonging to the Gulf country's ruler to fetch the two Americans if the freedom-for-bail was reached.

Omani officials declined to comment on the ongoing proceedings for the Americans' release. They only said the private plane, sent from Muscat to the Iranian capital last Wednesday, was still in Tehran.

The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the issue.

The three Americans -- friends from their days at the University of California at Berkeley -- have maintained their innocence and denied the espionage charges against them.

Their families say they were just hiking in northern Iraq's scenic and relatively peaceful Kurdish region when they may have accidentally strayed over the unmarked border with Iran.

Since her release last year, Shourd has lived in Oakland, California. Bauer, a freelance journalist, grew up in Onamia, Minnesota, and Fattal, an environmental activist, is from suburban Philadelphia.

Bauer proposed marriage to Shourd while in prison.
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

Woman and children first
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 10:42 PM
    Liked 600 Times in 391 Posts

A friend came to town - Berkeley - last year and we went out for lunch.
    A girl was sitting right next to us and my friend asked her if she could take our photo.
    I swear it was Sarah Shourd.
    My chat with Mike & Joe from Chickenfoot 1/7/12
    http://bit.ly/yyS5uq

With a real rockstar - Jason Becker.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ElJcDdgfT0

NEW single "Heavy Mellow" & The REMIX available on iTunes & worldwide on bandcamp!
    http://johnnybeane.wordpress.com/201...unes-bandcamp/

My bio.
    http://about.me/johnnybeane

"Like" me on Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/guitaristjohnnybeane

Favorite VH Album

=VH= II
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 11:19 AM
    Liked 792 Times in 381 Posts

Premium Member

I'll believe this when I see them on US soil, or at least far away from Iran.
    _-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 10:37 AM
    Liked 18,143 Times in 8,965 Posts

Does anyone really believe they were "hiking" in Iraq and accidentally crossed the border?
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Last Online

12.14.17 @ 12:18 AM
    Liked 93 Times in 37 Posts

I'm on the fence with that. Almost sounds like one of those if you are captured we will deny all involvement scenarios. "They were just hiking in northern Iraq's scenic and relatively peaceful Kurdish region". Sounds wonderful... perhaps we should get a group together from the links to take this hike. By the time we are all released from prison the new VH album may have been released. Once they are all back on US soil I'm sure the three of them will make the rounds of 20/20 and all of the other shows. Perhaps then we'll hear more about this.

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    Does anyone really believe they were "hiking" in Iraq and accidentally crossed the border?
    I don't know enough about any of them to suspect otherwise, but yeah...the idea of taking a stroll anywhere in the Middle East sounds butt-fucking bonkers.

Hell, I don't even hike in fucking whiteyville Brea. There's mountain lions out there and they aren't even carrying AK's.
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

05.26.17 @ 11:48 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LLFHS View Post
    I don't know enough about any of them to suspect otherwise, but yeah...the idea of taking a stroll anywhere in the Middle East sounds butt-fucking bonkers.

Hell, I don't even hike in fucking whiteyville Brea. There's mountain lions out there and they aren't even carrying AK's.
    Nah -- is entirely likely they were really just hiking. These guys are activists and former student buddies at the University of California at Berkeley. Like these people decided to then sign up after graduation from there to be military spies. Ahhh...right...sure.

The naiveté of people like that is well established. Yeah, lets hike all hippie-trippy in Iraq and stuff. Hang out with the Kurds. Peace and love. We hate Bush, that mind-set will keep us safe. Reminds me of the fools that went to be human shields for Saddam.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 10:37 AM
    Liked 18,143 Times in 8,965 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Duck View Post
    Nah -- is entirely likely they were really just hiking. These guys are activists and former student buddies at the University of California at Berkeley. Like these people decided to then sign up after graduation from there to be military spies. Ahhh...right...sure.

The naiveté of people like that is well established. Yeah, lets hike all hippie-trippy in Iraq and stuff. Hang out with the Kurds. Peace and love. We hate Bush, that mind-set will keep us safe. Reminds me of the fools that went to be human shields for Saddam.
    That would be like Ira Rothenbergstein going to visit Spandauer Zitadelle in 1942.

I just find it hard to believe any American with an IQ over 80 would go anywhere near Iran.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 11:11 AM
    Liked 2,386 Times in 1,488 Posts

Premium Member

You should here what the asshole said to the UN today. The US delegation walked out.....hes Hitler Jr. Someone please post a thread on it.
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

Last Online

Perhaps if he were to go hiking in Central Park while he's in NYC we should snatch him up and hold him in custody for a year or two. Then release him on $500K bail...

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by donkost View Post
    Perhaps if he were to go hiking in Central Park while he's in NYC we should snatch him up and hold him in custody for a year or two. Then release him on $500K bail...

Dude, I shit you not - I was thinking something similar tonight while seeing the story on the news. The cocksucker's on US soil.....let's take the fucker hostage. Would blow Iran's mind! LOL!!
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Last Online

There was a rumor (perhaps more than a rumor) that he was one of the Iranian students who took part in the US Embassy takeover back in '79. I recall that one of the US hostages thought that he recognized him after he became president of Iran. So I think it would be more symbolic if we held him for 444 days just like the American hostages were held back then. I say we have nothing else to lose in the eyes of the world, so international protocols be damned, let's do it.

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

Donor

There was a rumor (perhaps more than a rumor) that he was one of the Iranian students who took part in the US Embassy takeover back in '79. I recall that one of the US hostages thought that he recognized him after he became president of Iran. So I think it would be more symbolic if we held him for 444 days just like the American hostages were held back then. I say we have nothing else to lose in the eyes of the world, so international protocols be damned, let's do it.
    I remember hearing that story too. Would be very interesting indeed if it turned out to be him. I'd imagine his shit-stirring UN speeches would come to an end pretty quick.
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 11:14 AM
    Liked 6,691 Times in 3,711 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    That would be like Ira Rothenbergstein going to visit Spandauer Zitadelle in 1942.

I just find it hard to believe any American with an IQ over 80 would go anywhere near Iran.
    you probably just answered the question. These people don't likely crack 80. Hell, when i was done school I went to Vegas for a few days. I don't think the Iran/Iraq border was on my list of alternates.
    Last edited by It's Mike; 09.24.11 at 02:23 PM.

Favorite VH Album

=VH= II
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 11:19 AM
    Liked 792 Times in 381 Posts

Premium Member

Default Ahmadinejad

There was a rumor (perhaps more than a rumor) that he was one of the Iranian students who took part in the US Embassy takeover back in '79. I recall that one of the US hostages thought that he recognized him after he became president of Iran.
    I always thought that it was pretty obvious..

_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_