Favorite VH Album

Sound Magazine
    Favorite VH Song

I Think I Love You
    Last Online

06.07.15 @ 10:30 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Default Ahh...The Russians!

I have quite a few Russian relatives and friends, and I love them all. This story in the Times this morning reminded me why.
    You can read it if you want, but here's a summary:

Q: Why did the plane crash?
    A: It's an older model airplane and it doesn't have modern navigation equipment. When the plane is landing, the pilot can't see where he is going. There's a plexiglass bubble in the nose which the navigator crawls into so he can see the runway. Then he shouts landing instructions to the pilot.
    Also, the navigator was drunk.

Case closed.

Solution: Make sure nobody in the cockpit is drunk from now on. Also, the president says that type of airplane will no longer be used for passenger travel. Seriously. Promise. Unless we really need a plane.

There's a wonderful simplicity and toughness to Russians that I haven't seen anywhere else. Can you imagine this scenario happening in the U.S.? There would be shrieks and howls and feathers and lawsuits flying and 30-minute news specials about the "Tragedy of Flight 432," or whatever, and candlelight vigils and people wearing ribbons and teary-eyed men in expensive suits holding press conferences and resigning in disgrace. (And then being hired by another airline.)

Now I'm not saying that the American response would be wrong, it's just that, when you compare it to the Russian style, it seems to come off as...precious. We get our feathers all ruffled and our panties in a knot. The Russians apologize for the drunk navigator, promise nothing exactly like that will happen again (probably), and get on with their lives. Maybe someone gets taken out and shot, but they don't publicize that.
    We Americans like to fantasize about our rugged Wild West, cowboy heritage. The Russians live it every day.

My brother-in-law was born in Russia and moved to New York when he was 16. One day we were walking around the lower east side and I stopped at a corner store and bought some gum. He mentioned that he and his childhood friends didn't have much chance to buy gum in Russia, so they peeled up chunks of asphalt and chewed on that. He wasn't telling some poor-me-depression-era story. They had enough to eat and everything, but when they wanted to chew some gum, they just ripped up the fucking street and chewed on it.

I believe that we Americans have that same core of stoicism and toughness that the Russians do, but lately we don't have the chance to exercise it much. When something goes wrong, we start looking for who to blame--gotta place that blame--and then we call a lawyer. Or, worse, we go on TV and blather on and on about it. The Russians I know just shrug and get on with their lives.
    Both of those attitudes can be pushed to an unhealthy extreme, of course. It's just refreshing sometimes to see the way other cultures handle things.

Don't read this.

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

I blame the soccer moms!!
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Great story. It reminds me of my family on many levels. We're all Polish, They came here after WWII and we still hold dear to many of the old ways of thinking, screw lawyers simply sort it out with your fists or move on, simple.
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Favorite VH Album

They're all shit
    Last Online

11.19.17 @ 09:41 AM
    Liked 34 Times in 20 Posts

Good thoughts. Of course, we don't want people dying for stupid reasons, but so many "modern" societies do go overboard when bad things happen. Knee jerk reactions, and worse, policies are enacted that do not address some very simple facts, chief of which is that life can be a little risky.

Jeremy Clarkson said it better than anyone, in this rant from the Times of London, about this very thing taking a lot of the fun out of life.

Or just being bloody stupid.

Enjoy.

From The Sunday Times
    March 7, 2010 What a daft way to stop your spaniel eating the milkman
    Jeremy Clarkson

As we know, one man once got on one plane in a pair of exploding hiking boots and as a result everyone else in the entire world is now forced to strip naked at airports and hand over their toiletries to a man in a high-visibility jacket.

In other words, the behaviour of one man has skewed the concept of everyday life for everyone else. And we are seeing this all the time.

Last month a Birmingham couple pleaded guilty to starving their supposedly home-schooled daughter to death. Now, of course, there are calls for parents who choose to educate their children at home to be monitored on an hourly basis by people from the “care” industry, and possibly to have their toiletries confiscated.

Then we have calls to ban sexually provocative pop videos from the television until 9pm and put Loaded magazine on the top shelf. Will this prevent teenage boys from seeing girls’ breasts? Well, whoever thinks it will has plainly never heard of the internet.

We see the same sort of overreaction to paedophilia. Just because one man in your town likes to watch schoolgirls playing netball, you must apply for a licence if you wish to take a friend’s kids to school in the morning. And I now run the risk of having my camera impounded by the police if I take pictures of my children playing on the beach.

Likewise, if I decide to take a picture of St Paul’s Cathedral I will be hurled to the ground by anti-terrorist officers and possibly shot six times in the back of the head — just because one person in Bradford once made a speech about the infidel.

We seem to have lost sight of the fact that throughout history 90% of people have behaved quite normally 90% of the time. Agatha Christie, for instance, was home-schooled and at no point was she forced to eat breadcrumbs from her neighbour’s bird table.
    Of course, at the extremes, you have 5% who are goodie-goodies and who become vicars, and 5% who build exploding hiking shoes and starve their children to death.

It’s this oddball 5% that is targeted by the tidal wave of legislation. But making it more difficult to teach your children at home will not stop kids being mistreated.

It just changes the pattern of everyday life for everyone else. This is what drives me mad.
    We now think it’s normal behaviour to take off our clothes at an airport. But it isn’t. Nor is it normal to stand outside in the rain to have a cigarette or to do 30mph on a dual carriageway when it’s the middle of the night and everyone else is in bed. It’s stupid.

And last week the stupidity made yet another lunge into the fabric of society with the news that government ministers were considering new laws that would force everyone to take a test before they were allowed to keep a dog.

No, really. Because one dog once ate one child, some hopeless little twerp from the department of dogs had to think of something sincere to say on the steps of the coroner’s court. Inevitably, they will have argued that the current law is “not fit for purpose”, whatever that means, and that “steps must be taken to ensure this never happens again”.
    The steps being considered mean that every dog owner in the land will have to fit their pet with a microchip so that its whereabouts can be determined from dog-spotting spy-in-the-sky drones, and that before being allowed to take delivery of a puppy, people will have to sit an exam similar to the driving theory test. The cost could reach £60, and on top of this you will need compulsory third-party insurance in case your spaniel eats the milkman.
    So to ensure that someone in the north called Mick doesn’t shove his pit bull into a primary school playground to calm it down, I will now have to computerise my labradoodle and answer a lot of damn fool questions about when my dog should be on a lead.

In other words, the normality of dog ownership will be skewed. Instead of spending your free time with your pooches, throwing balls or tickling them under the chin, you will be forced to provide tea and biscuits for someone from the department of dogs while he inspects your cupboard under the stairs for evidence that they’ve eaten the cleaning lady.
    This will achieve nothing good. It will ruin the enjoyment of dog ownership for millions, it will result in thousands of abandoned dogs, as people realise they can’t afford the insurance, and yet it will make no difference to men in the north called Mick, who will continue to tattoo their dogs with gothic symbols of hate.

What good did all the airport legislation achieve? None. It simply means that you and I now must get to the airport six years before the plane is due to leave and arrive at the other end with yellow teeth, smelly armpits and no nail file. Did it prevent a chap from getting on board with exploding underpants? No, it did not.

Happily, however, I have a solution to the problem, a way that normal human behaviour can be preserved. It’s simple. We must start to accept that 5% of the population at any given time is bonkers. There are no steps to be taken to stamp this out and no lessons to be learnt when a man with a beard boards a plane with an exploding dog.

Government officials who are questioned on the steps of coroner’s courts must be reminded of this before they speak. So that instead of saying the current law is “not fit for purpose” and that something must be done, they familiarise themselves with an expression that sums up the situation rather better: “Shit happens.”
    A man could lose himself in a country like this.

My blog at http://tollins.blogspot.de/

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

I've said many times that Clarkson should become an MP and run for Prime Minister. He has a refreshing lateral way of thinking that makes absolute common sense.
    Last edited by tommywho5150; 09.20.11 at 07:49 AM.

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight/Mine All Mine
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:07 PM
    Liked 1,035 Times in 506 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bullwinkle View Post
    It's just refreshing sometimes to see the way other cultures handle things.
    No it's not, 47 people are dead.

I’m not trying to be a jerk but I think your affection for the Russian people may be skewing your perspective. Maybe I’m misreading your post but there seems to be a definite “we need to be more like them” argument there. There is nothing endearing about 47 people being dead because some fuck stick wanted to get drunk instead of doing his job. The story of the asphalt chewing is endearing however, probably because it didn’t kill anybody.
    "...it's steak and whiskey time in America." - bklynboy68

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Love 'em all! (esp. F.U.C.K)
    Favorite VH Song

The Dream Is Over
    Last Online

12.04.17 @ 04:15 PM
    Liked 1,228 Times in 845 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tommywho5150 View Post
    I've said many times that Clarkson should become an MP and run for Prime Minister. He has a refreshing lateral way of thinking that makes absolute common sense.
    I'm in complete agreement with you, Tom. There's none of this P.C nonsense with Clarkson - what you see is what you get. He's frequently and joyfully offensive but at least he shoots straight from the hip and isn't a smarmy, slippery little toad of a politician whose sole aim is to never be tied down to something as inconvenient as the truth.

And he appreciates Van Halen.
    Last edited by dibblekins; 09.20.11 at 08:11 AM. Reason: Crucial afterthought
    I'm FEMALE...Deal with it!

"Whatever you do, wherever you go, there you are..." Edward Van Halen 1986

"You spend the first part of your life trying to make your mark, and the second part just trying to cover up your tracks"... Weesfreewheelin, 2012

"Life's too short to stuff a mushroom"... Shirley Conran, 1975

"You turn if you want to...The LADY is NOT for turning!"...Margaret
    Thatcher, 1980

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by BlindtotheWorld View Post

I’m not trying to be a jerk but I think your affection for the Russian people may be skewing your perspective. Maybe I’m misreading your post but there seems to be a definite “we need to be more like them” argument there. There is nothing endearing about 47 people being dead because some fuck stick wanted to get drunk instead of doing his job. The story of the asphalt chewing is endearing however, probably because it didn’t kill anybody.
    was the point not that, the cause was found, explained and then sorted without millions of dollars being spent and long, lengthy and expensive enquiries. The culprit was singled out and the mistakes were explained. They were delt with.
    Yes, sadly 47 died in the incident, it's a tragic occurance that should not have happened. But we can all learn from the Russian's way of thinking, that was my take on it anyway.

Favorite VH Album

Sound Magazine
    Favorite VH Song

I Think I Love You
    Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by BlindtotheWorld View Post

You're absolutely right. It's a tragedy that 47 innocent people who just wanted to go somewhere are dead because of one drunken idiot. No argument.

I qualified my original post by saying that these attitudes can be taken to "unhealthy extremes." Of course it's wrong to let a pilot get drunk and crash his plane. You can't just shrug and say "shit happens" to a thing like that.

I guess my point is a romanticized--not realistic, I know--admiration of the people who got on the plane in the first place. They boarded a rattletrap plane, which had no modern equipment and a drunk in the cockpit because they wanted to go somewhere. They took a chance.

There's a tendency in modern America to avoid taking chances. We want to go from New York to L.A. in six hours, and we demand that nothing bad happen to us along the way. Right down to the bag of peanuts. And we will sue your ass blind if something bad does happen.
    Flying in an airplane is always risky. There's a chance that the plane will crash and you will die. The other "unhealthy extreme" is to insist that all risks be removed all the time. That's equally unrealistic.

So, like I said, my notion is romanticized. But I think that the passengers of the Russian airplane had a little bit of that "frontier spirit" that we Americans profess to admire, yet are often to cowardly to put into practice.

Like Bilbo Baggins said, "It's a dangerous thing, walking out your front door."

Don't read this.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

10.16.17 @ 11:43 AM
    Liked 17 Times in 10 Posts

Premium Member

I didn't read all the posts here so if this has alreddy been mentioned, forgive me.

The US space program had an issue with pens working in space, so they spent millions of dollars developing a pen that works in zero gravity (which you can now buy for less than $10 at Officemax) so the astronauts could write in space.

The Russian space program had the same issue. They decided to use pencils.
    "Here's to swimmin' with bow legged women."
    Quint- Boat Captain
    --------------------------------------------------

"As God as my witness...I thought turkeys could fly"
    Arthur Carlson- Radio Station GM
    --------------------------------------------------

"I think you're all fucked in the head. We're ten hours from the fucking fun park, and you wanna bail out! Well, I'll tell you something, this is no longer a vacation . . . it's a quest! It's a quest for fun! I'm gonna have fun, and you're gonna have fun! We're all gonna have so much fucking fun we'll need plastic surgery to remove our Goddamn smiles! You'll be whistling Zip-a-dee-doo-da out of your assholes! "
    Clark W. Griswold- Food Additive Designer
    ---------------------------------------------------

VIVA TEXAS LINKERS WEEKEND!
    Round I = Done!
    Round II = Done!
    Round III = Done!
    Round IV = Done!
    Round V = Done!
    Round VI = Done!
    Round VII = Done!
    Round VIII = Done!

Last Online

10.23.15 @ 04:49 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Bullwinkle and Graeme, we are truly blessed to get your perspectives on any given issue at any given time at the Links. OMG you guys make me smile and laugh!

I totally get what you are saying about the Russians. There is no way to prevent every possible accident from happening and that's not to say precautions should not be taken but but not to the extreme.
    Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Favorite VH Album

Sound Magazine
    Favorite VH Song

I Think I Love You
    Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by loveevhsince79 View Post
    Bullwinkle and Graeme, we are truly blessed to get your perspectives on any given issue at any given time at the Links. OMG you guys make me smile and laugh!

That's sweet. Thank you.

And you're right about graeme's contributions to this board. They are surprisingly astute. I say "surprisingly" because, in my lifetime, I haven't known very many transvestites personally. And the ones I did know never impressed me as being particularly profound, or even intelligent. It's a pleasant surprise to read his comments and see a true mind at work. Of course, he's probably a different person over at the Cher Forum. It's been a while since I've been there.

Don't read this.

Good Enough
    Last Online

05.15.16 @ 10:48 PM
    Liked 164 Times in 76 Posts

That's sweet. Thank you.

And you're right about graeme's contributions to this board. They are surprisingly astute. I say "surprisingly" because, in my lifetime, I haven't known very many transvestites personally. And the ones I did know never impressed me as being particularly profound, or even intelligent. It's a pleasant surprise to read his comments and see a true mind at work. Of course, he's probably a different person over at the Cher Forum. It's been a while since I've been there.
    I can't speak for graeme, but I know I think more clearly when wearing thigh-high fishnet stockings.

To be clear, though; not only do I have a penchant for wearing women's clothing, I also have a fetish for pretending my feet are trout.
    Last edited by ToddE; 09.20.11 at 08:58 PM.

Favorite VH Album

They're all shit
    Last Online

11.19.17 @ 09:41 AM
    Liked 34 Times in 20 Posts

That's sweet. Thank you.

Thankyou both. Actually though, it has been a while since I've been to the Cher forums myself. It all started about six months ago when I made some comments about one of Cher's old classic videos aboard an aircraft carrier. It all began innocently enough - I just repeated an oft told tale about Cher taking on the entire crew of said vessel - but it quickly descended into a bitterly acrimonious argument, falling into three main factions, or should I say "camps". Those that said it wasn't possible. Those that said that Cher would never do such a thing and those who said members of the Navy would never do such a thing. A lone voice also argued against the "gun barrel" theory, saying it simply wasn't possible.... Right. It's Cher, for god's sake.

Events turned nasty, insults were hurled, tears were no doubt spilled, prozac was ingested etc. I was even told by one that I probably looked "fake" in sequins. Of course, that cow was immediately banned. Moo cow slut. Good riddance.

Then, about two months ago, I really made a poo poo. I casually let slip that I was going for a beer that night, and the whole pina colada mafia went ape shit. Death threats, accusations of selling out, nasty comments about some new boots I had actually only just bought, ensued. I PM'd all the people who had said horrid things and told them that Cher would never want to be their friends because they were bad people and had horrible, horrible thoughts in their hearts.

The final straw was when I started a thread saying the head moderator was lying about the unicorns in his back garden.

Of course, I was banned for that one.

Anyway. That's my story.
    A man could lose himself in a country like this.

My blog at http://tollins.blogspot.de/

Favorite VH Album

=VH= II
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 10:36 PM
    Liked 797 Times in 382 Posts

Premium Member

LOL
    _-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_