Page 1 of 13 123411 ... LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Too Hard To Choose
    Last Online

02.18.12 @ 07:21 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default New Label News (Hits Daily Double)

Big news today burried in an article about the current state of rock and label reaction to the format. In it they say Van Halen are now with Columbia...

http://www.hitsdailydouble.com/news/...i?news08690m01

Garth
    The Red Sox STILL SUCK!

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Rock May No Longer Be as Gigantic as It Once Was, but It Ain’t Dead Yet
    September 16, 2011

In an era that embraces divas, rappers and dance tracks, a number of the majors have moved away from rock. Concurrently, and perhaps not coincidentally, rock radio has also fallen on hard times, as evidenced by the recent demise of Q101, leaving only adult-leaving WXRT in Chicago, while New York and Cleveland now have no contemporary rock stations whatsoever—a situation that would have been incomprehensible in past decades.

On the other hand, rock stations in Top 10 markets L.A., Philly, Boston, Detroit, Dallas and Houston are all extremely successful. But while guitar-based music is struggling in some areas, it’s absurd to say rock is dead at a time when the form contains such potent acts as U2, Coldplay, AC/DC, Kings of Leon, Muse, Foo Fighters, Dave Matthews Band, the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Green Day, Linkin Park, Paramore, the Black Keys, Florence & the Machine, Thirty Seconds to Mars, MGMT, Death Cab for Cutie, Arcade Fire, Radiohead, Pearl Jam, Phoenix, Vampire Weekend and Mumford & Sons, each with its own loyal fan base.

What’s different is that few rock singles get massive spins these days, though when they do, as with KOL’s “Use Somebody” and Mumford & Sons’ “Little Lion Man,” they sell big numbers of albums, with KOL’s Only by the Night selling 2.18m (without a hit, the following Come Around Sundown got to 657k) and Mumford’s Sigh No More now at 1.79k—achieving this impressive total with zero Top 40 spins.

At this point in time, a rock album with sufficient sustained airplay can typically do between 600-900k, as with the Black Keys’ Brothers (832k), Florence & the Machine’s Lungs (780k) and Arcade Fire’s The Suburbs (680k). Currently carrying the rock banner at rock radio is Foster the People, whose “Pumped Up Kicks” has become one of 2011’s definitive hits, resulting in album sales on Torches of 275k to date, while RCA and Warner Bros. are presently attempting to cross the Foo Fighters and the Chili Peppers to pop.

Be that as it may, some labels have opted to put rock on the back burner, deeming it too risky and expensive. One of the first to do so was Interscope, which has been hugely successful with the likes of Lady Gaga, Black Eyed Peas and Eminem, while parting ways with Beck, Weezer, Snow Patrol, Papa Roach and Nine Inch Nails during the last couple of years, and is now down to U2, No Doubt, Blink-182, All American Rejects and Rise Against. The irony here is that the company is led by Jimmy Iovine, who built his reputation working with Bruce Springsteen, Patti Smith and Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers.

Now, Warner Bros., another label headed by a big-time rock producer in Rob Cavallo, while still entrenched in the rock business, would like to become a more well-rounded operation, in keeping with today’s mainstream. The label still has the Black Keys, Green Day, Muse, Linkin Park and the Chili Peppers, and though Metallica is out of contract, WBR is putting out the band’s collaborative LP with Lou Reed, despite the fact that it has little mainstream potential, based as it is on a pair of German Expressionist plays.

While industry observers point to the reduction of Warner/Reprise promotion from two staffs to one under new overall department head Peter Gray as evidence of the label’s desire to become a more stylistically eclectic and competitive label, those in the know point out that this two-to-one move has been in the works for years.

Lyor Cohen would have been done so long ago, they say, having concluded that WBR’s A&R staff wasn’t signing enough viable acts to warrant two departments, but he was thwarted by a clause in Tom Whalley’s contract stipulating such a structure—and this issue was believed to be one of the issues leading to their acrimonious relationship. All eyes are now on Gray as he reorganizes the company’s promotion team…

The same can be said for Epic promotion—a clear-cut priority for newly installed label head L.A. Reid considering the radio-centric acts he signs—under newly hired leader Erik Olesen. He succeeds Jacqueline Saturn, who is staying at the label in an as yet unspecified role, making for an awkward situation…

After spending its entire 35-year career at WB, Van Halen, with David Lee Roth back in the fold, recently completed work on its first album for new label Columbia, coming early next year…

And though rock record revenues have diminished, the concert business, led by acts with multi-decade careers playing arenas and stadiums, has held steady and in some cases has actually increased. The same is true with high-profile festivals like Coachella, which has locked in No Doubt and Radiohead as two of next year’s headliners…

Names in the rumor mill: Bernstein and Mensch, Bono, Dave Grohl , Ken Levitan, Ian Montone, Bob Rock and Brian Eno.
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Can't pick just one
    Favorite VH Song

Again...Can't pick just one
    Last Online

03.16.17 @ 01:03 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

"… After spending its entire 35-year career at WB, Van Halen, with David Lee Roth back in the fold, recently completed work on its first album for new label Columbia, coming early next year…"

It does says it. I wonder if this is BS or valid info.
    "I like the way the line runs up the back of the stockings.
    I've always liked those kind of high heels too. You know, I...
    No no no no, don't take 'em off, don't take... Leave 'em on, leave 'em on.
    Yeah, that's it, a little more to the right, a little more..."

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Love 'em all! (esp. F.U.C.K)
    Favorite VH Song

The Dream Is Over
    Last Online

12.04.17 @ 04:15 PM
    Liked 1,228 Times in 845 Posts

Well, I just checked the Columbia Records website and Van Halen isn't listed as one of their artists - as yet, anyway.
    I'm FEMALE...Deal with it!

"Whatever you do, wherever you go, there you are..." Edward Van Halen 1986

"You spend the first part of your life trying to make your mark, and the second part just trying to cover up your tracks"... Weesfreewheelin, 2012

"Life's too short to stuff a mushroom"... Shirley Conran, 1975

"You turn if you want to...The LADY is NOT for turning!"...Margaret
    Thatcher, 1980

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Too Hard To Choose
    Last Online

02.18.12 @ 07:21 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I trust Hits Daily Double. Fantastic site for industry news that is second to none as it deals with the business end of music not the fan end... Of course your not going to find this info on the columbia site as of yet, as an announcement from the band or label hasn't happened...yet...
    The Red Sox STILL SUCK!

Favorite VH Album

Chickenfoot III
    Favorite VH Song

Different Devil
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 11:15 AM
    Liked 340 Times in 184 Posts

Donor

I just checked with the guy that builds the software that Colombia's web designer uses and he hasn't heard this guy is planning on making any changes yet.

Now I'm gonna go look for red cakes with black and white stripes on it. Those are so cool 'n stuff.

Sammy did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    Michael did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    --------------------------
    IAMA I am a stage hand for big mainstream artists. (self.IAmA)

Q: who was the biggest douche that you have worked with?

A: Eddie Van Halen hands down he threatened all the stage hands that if we wernt all pushed to the side when he got off stage that he would "bash our faces in"

Now the new David-Lee-Roth-Van Halen album, “Tokyo Dome In Concert,” is available for purchase, and it’s super, super, super, super, super, super, crazy bad. - Doug Elfman

Good Enough
    Last Online

11.29.17 @ 01:23 AM
    Liked 57 Times in 23 Posts

Well if jeff stays quiet (like the Jump story) then it's likley to be true...

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 03:10 AM
    Liked 1,483 Times in 904 Posts

Interesting.....
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Favorite VH Album

all of them
    Favorite VH Song

If its Eddie, its Van Halen
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 07:37 PM
    Liked 527 Times in 242 Posts

Yes the longer Jeff stays quiet the more likely I am to believe this.
    That said, I would not be surprised if Andrew comes out and says his source tells him its Altantic and later Jeff comes in and says its Jive Records.
    'Old Van Halen, when I was in it-classic Van Halen-makes you wanna drink, dance and screw, right? And the new Van Halen encourages you to drink milk, drive a Nissan and have a relationship.' - David Lee Roth.

Hang 'Em High James in New York's Avatar
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 05:17 PM
    Liked 2,097 Times in 684 Posts

Fashion your life as a garland of good deeds.

- Buddha

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 12:26 PM
    Liked 37 Times in 19 Posts

Alright damn it, I've signed Van Halen to my new independent label! The record drops Feb 1, 2012 if you must know. And yes, it will be available exclusively through Walmart. Happy now?
    "People say Cream gave birth to Heavy Metal," says Baker. "If that's so, we should have had an abortion."

Eruption
    Last Online

10.19.17 @ 03:51 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chain View Post
    Alright damn it, I've signed Van Halen to my new independent label! The record drops Feb 1, 2012 if you must know. And yes, it will be available exclusively through Walmart. Happy now?
    Thanks for the update.

Can you update the band's site now?

Last Online

06.03.17 @ 06:59 PM
    Liked 327 Times in 204 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chain View Post
    I just checked, Feb 1, 2012 is a Wednesday! I call bullshit on this.

2-time Fantasy Baseball Champion.

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 03:54 AM
    Liked 742 Times in 409 Posts

Premium Member

Next year for a record that is complete???

VH moving away from WB???

Something does feel right

Favorite VH Album

Love 'em all
    Favorite VH Song

Romney's Cryin'
    Last Online

02.26.13 @ 07:34 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I hope that this is true. A new album for a new label for a fresh start.