Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Default "most dangerous celebrity" on the Internet

Or until the computers of those people looking for Scarlett Johansson nudes, crash...

The German supermodel has been crowned the "most dangerous celebrity" on the Internet by the security firm McAfee, which found that nearly one out of every 10 searches for the "Project Runway" host puts people at risk of ending up on rigged websites hiding harmful computer viruses.

McAfee said search keywords such as "Heidi Klum free downloads," "Heidi Klum videos" and "Heidi Klum hot pictures" put users "at risk of running into online threats such as spyware, adware, spam and phishing attacks" designed to steal personal information.

Klum also provides crafty criminals with attractive bait to lure victims to compromised websites, photos and videos, a trick called SEO poisoning. Victims' computers can become infected by downloading or even simply clicking on these corrupt files.

Klum edged out last year's "winner," Cameron Diaz, who now holds the second spot on McAfee's list. The list also includes Piers Morgan, Jessica Biel, Katherine Heigl, Mila Kunis, Anna Paquin, Adriana Lima, Scarlett Johansson, Brad Pitt, Emma Stone and Rachel McAdams.

(It will be interesting to see how Johansson fares next year; McAfee's list came out just as nude photos stolen from cell phone of the 26-year-old star were leaked onto the Web).

McAfee's list highlights an interesting paradox between the worlds of cybercrime and celebrity culture: It seems the more troubled the star, the less risk he or she poses online.

One would expect Charlie Sheen, the erratic actor and tabloid favorite, to be an online criminal's dream-come-true — someone guaranteed to draw Internet traffic. But Sheen ranks 59th on the list, with less than 3 percent of searches for him yielding security-endangering results.

"Hot movies and TV shows, awards and industry accolades seem to be more of a factor than headline-grabbing activity," Paula Greve, McAfee's director of Web security, wrote. "Still, searching for any celebrity can bring up risky sites, and the public should use caution by not clicking on any page that looks suspicious."

In addition to exercising general Web common sense, it's important to run up-to-date anti-virus software to detect threats and steer you away from potentially dangerous sites. A list of anti-virus options can be found here.

http://anti-virus-software-review.to...?a_aid=aff1070
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/5150
    Favorite VH Song

RWTD/BoBW
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 05:17 PM
    Liked 76 Times in 30 Posts

I'll admit I would have to wrap my hard drive with a good quality webroot so I wouldn't have to go to the Spyware Doctor!
    A little more volume in the headphones please.

Favorite VH Album

Chickenfoot III
    Favorite VH Song

Different Devil
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 11:15 AM
    Liked 340 Times in 184 Posts

Donor

Sammy did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    Michael did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    --------------------------
    IAMA I am a stage hand for big mainstream artists. (self.IAmA)

Q: who was the biggest douche that you have worked with?

A: Eddie Van Halen hands down he threatened all the stage hands that if we wernt all pushed to the side when he got off stage that he would "bash our faces in"

Now the new David-Lee-Roth-Van Halen album, “Tokyo Dome In Concert,” is available for purchase, and it’s super, super, super, super, super, super, crazy bad. - Doug Elfman

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Maybe now people will believe me when I say 'Jessica Biel gave me a virus'!!!
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tommywho5150 View Post
    Maybe now people will believe me when I say 'Jessica Biel gave me a virus'!!!
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Last Online

12.10.17 @ 08:16 PM
    Liked 93 Times in 37 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheresOnlyOneWay View Post
    Assuming you mean to get an Apple from that smug looking Justin Long pic... Yes they do have a sleek design and there's generally no need for anti-virus or anti-malware software. I've worked in IT for 25 years and I installed an iMac 24 + Time Capsule wireless backup drive for someone, a wealthy CEO. Unfortunately I learned that their sleek design and quiet operation comes at the expense of proper airflow and cooling through their devices. The iMac's hard drive suffered a catastrophic thermal failure within 18 months, and not even Ontrack Data Recovery could retrieve anything from it in their clean room (the CEO was willing to pay big bucks if anything could be recovered). The Time Capsule backup drive had failed due to thermal problems long before that and they hadn't even noticed. We've been through quite a number of iPhones at my company as well that have failed inexplicably. So yes, pay that extra money for an Apple but be prepared to back it up constantly, backup your backup drive, and buy the extended warranty as well. I say this as I sit using my 2003 Dell Dimension which has been running 24/7 since new except during the occasional power failure. I'll gladly keep this along with my anti-virus and anti-malware software.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 02:41 PM
    Liked 199 Times in 105 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by donkost View Post
    Assuming you mean to get an Apple from that smug looking Justin Long pic... Yes they do have a sleek design and there's generally no need for anti-virus or anti-malware software. I've worked in IT for 25 years and I installed an iMac 24 + Time Capsule wireless backup drive for someone, a wealthy CEO. Unfortunately I learned that their sleek design and quiet operation comes at the expense of proper airflow and cooling through their devices. The iMac's hard drive suffered a catastrophic thermal failure within 18 months, and not even Ontrack Data Recovery could retrieve anything from it in their clean room (the CEO was willing to pay big bucks if anything could be recovered). The Time Capsule backup drive had failed due to thermal problems long before that and they hadn't even noticed. We've been through quite a number of iPhones at my company as well that have failed inexplicably. So yes, pay that extra money for an Apple but be prepared to back it up constantly, backup your backup drive, and buy the extended warranty as well. I say this as I sit using my 2003 Dell Dimension which has been running 24/7 since new except during the occasional power failure. I'll gladly keep this along with my anti-virus and anti-malware software.

Last Online

12.12.17 @ 08:24 PM
    Liked 1,026 Times in 501 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by voivod View Post
    Or until the computers of those people looking for Scarlett Johansson nudes, crash...
    Not that I am interested, but can someone PM me and tell me where the link is to those photos? I want to make sure I don't accidentally click on it or something like that

Favorite VH Album

Chickenfoot III
    Favorite VH Song

Different Devil
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 11:15 AM
    Liked 340 Times in 184 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by donkost View Post
    Huh. I did have to replace my power cord once.
    Sammy did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    Michael did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    --------------------------
    IAMA I am a stage hand for big mainstream artists. (self.IAmA)

Q: who was the biggest douche that you have worked with?

A: Eddie Van Halen hands down he threatened all the stage hands that if we wernt all pushed to the side when he got off stage that he would "bash our faces in"

Now the new David-Lee-Roth-Van Halen album, “Tokyo Dome In Concert,” is available for purchase, and it’s super, super, super, super, super, super, crazy bad. - Doug Elfman

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH, WACF, FW, 5150, OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams/Unchained/InASR/5150
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 04:30 AM
    Liked 298 Times in 161 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheresOnlyOneWay View Post
    Huh. I did have to replace my power cord once.
    That's it: I'm getting rid of my iMac and my MacBook!

"The shit I read on this site." -- Dave's Dreidel (Nov 6th, 2013)

"Don't ever confuse talent with fame." -- Bob Lefsetz

"There's very little greatness in this world, but in the crucible of quality there's a special corner reserved for Van Halen." -- Bob Lefsetz

Last Online

12.10.17 @ 08:16 PM
    Liked 93 Times in 37 Posts

I began as a computer hobbyist in the late 1970's with the Apple II, II+, IIe, IIc, and the original Mac, and that sparked the interest which eventually turned into an IT career. No doubt legions of people including yourselves have had positive experiences with current Apple products. Considering that they control engineering and production of their hardware they seem to have a number of serious problems (like the thermal issues across several product lines) which they tend to sweep under the carpet until the next gen is released. I have also battled a number of mobileme, etc. software issues on some of our sales laptops especially after Apple releases updates. All of a sudden Apple processes are consuming 99% of cpu utilization, the system is basically unusable, and there is no official acknowledgement of any issue. So groups of users band together on various support sites (including the Apple discussion group) and are forced to arrive at their own solutions.

I'm not trying to convert anyone, people can use whatever they like. God knows that Microsoft has had their share of problems (thankfully we skipped Vista entirely) and I have to deal with them on an Enterprise/server level where they are actually quite good at identifying and resolving issues. I'm just saying that considering the premium price, instances of poor engineering which seems to favor style over substance, and poor support/ignoring of critical issues, that I do not find Apple products to be "all that". It is just one person's opinion, and this will not stop droves of people from lining up lemming-like at the latest and greatest i-whatever release, which will be faster and cost a little less than the unit they bought six months prior.