Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen I to 1984
    Favorite VH Song

All of 'em up to 1984
    Last Online

02.16.15 @ 02:06 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Has Clapton ever commented on Ed's playing?

I was just wondering aboiut this recently but couldn't find anything from a Google search.
    Since Ed has always been quite open about what an influence Clapton was on his own playing, has Clapton ever reciprocated? Or said anything about Ed or VH?
    I'm a big fan of clapton as well as Ed but I get the impression Eric doesn't like VH.....

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

VH1,FW,1984,5150,FUCK,ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

changes every week,love em all
    Last Online

12.15.16 @ 02:14 AM
    Liked 18 Times in 9 Posts

I don't remember the direct quote, but I guess Clapton said something to the effect that Ed lacks feeling or something like that. Thereupon Ed dedicated the Blues Session he recorded with Brian May in 1983 to "E.C."

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 03:30 AM
    Liked 6,813 Times in 3,562 Posts

Premium Member

Clapton may be great, I don't deny that, but I've got 1 of the 4 CD's from his Cross Roads 2 box set in juke box on shuffle... and every song that comes up just bores me to tears. Twenty minute jam fests may be some folks cup of tea, but if that's what playing with feeling means... you can have it.

Just my opinion of course.

Eruption
    Last Online

08.17.12 @ 11:19 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Number 47 View Post
    Clapton may be great, I don't deny that, but I've got 1 of the 4 CD's from his Cross Roads 2 box set in juke box on shuffle... and every song that comes up just bores me to tears. Twenty minute jam fests may be some folks cup of tea, but if that's what playing with feeling means... you can have it.

Just my opinion of course.
    Never got Clapton, never will. The song he wrote for his child is no doubt very moving but that is about all I can really listen to. I like his version of I shot the sheriff too. I never got Cream either.

Favorite VH Album

Love 'em all
    Favorite VH Song

Romney's Cryin'
    Last Online

02.26.13 @ 07:34 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

What's that old joke?

What do Eric Clapton and coffee have in common?

They both suck without Cream.

Never got the Clapton is God thing either.

Favorite VH Album

BOBW
    Favorite VH Song

Crossing over
    Last Online

04.03.12 @ 11:26 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I am thinking its a generational thing.. we're in the slot that EVH rules. since he's older ( my .02 ) is that EC / Cream were his influences. I am sure there are some younger punks that wouldnt even have EVH in their top 10 ( but thats when we put them in the time out corner )
    Sam, Dave,Gary... who cares. its all about what makes you feel good.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 1,374 Times in 803 Posts

It is generational, and a sinple fact that we take what we have today for granted.
    I grew up when Hendrix was on top. Clapton was still very highly regarded, but Hendrix was THE man. The legend.
    You gotta keep in mind that as each of these player became huge, it was because they each took the electric guitar to the next level, and until each came along, that stuff didn't exist. Til Clapton, no one had heard blues from a skinny white boy blowing through 100w Marshall's at maximum volume.
    That cleared the road for the Townshends, Becks, Pages, etc...
    Then Hendrix came along, still playing that same blues, but pushing the guitar to the maximum limits of the time.

So then he passes on, and the next big innovator is Ed. He takes over where Hendrix left off. What he couldn't get the guitar to do, he forced it to do with mods and techniques no one ever thought of before.

So yeah....by today's standards, Clapton is about as intense as Dan Folgelberg. Just a lame old dude playing the same old shit.

So we all love Ed's playing here, and still marvel at all the techniques...still trying to figure some of that stuff out, but take a look at the polls today.
    Explain to me how Slash gets best guitarist.
    I personally don't get it. he's ok.....but in my eyes he's mediocre at best, not much different than Clapton in his soloing really.

So I guess it is just a generational thing. Seems to almost have gone full circle in a way.

I did read an article years ago where they asked Clapton about Ed, and he said "he is obviously a genius, but how could anyone play like that? I couldn't!"
    Last edited by we die young; 09.16.11 at 05:54 AM.

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

02.03.17 @ 01:34 PM
    Liked 58 Times in 32 Posts

I remember seeing an interview with Clapton on VH1 a few years ago where the guy who was interviewing him was blowing smoke up Clapton's ass basically implying he was the best ever.

He asked Clapton if he ever listened to other players and thought "Wow, how does he do that?", expecting Clapton to say no. Clapton said in the early days when he first came out there were other good players but nobody made him think that until Van Halen emerged.

He said from VH onwards even through to more recent (and weaker) players like Slash he just couldn't comprehend the speed they played at. He compared it to fast Jazz picking, something else he said he wasn't really any good at and said although he wouldn't want to play that way, he didn't have the ability to play it.

The interviewer was a bit stunned, I had alot more respect for Clapton after that. To me he's always been a bit of a one trick pony, his playing is likeable but ultimately, by his own admission, not that great.

Think the program was called Mills n Clapton or something like that, Bob Mills was the interviewer.

Favorite VH Album

all of them
    Favorite VH Song

If its Eddie, its Van Halen
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 08:14 AM
    Liked 527 Times in 242 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by we die young View Post
    It is generational, and a sinple fact that we take what we have today for granted.
    I grew up when Hendrix was on top. Clapton was still very highly regarded, but Hendrix was THE man. The legend.
    You gotta keep in mind that as each of these player became huge, it was because they each took the electric guitar to the next level, and until each came along, that stuff didn't exist. Til Clapton, no one had heard blues from a skinny white boy blowing through 100w Marshall's at maximum volume.
    That cleared the road for the Townshends, Becks, Pages, etc...
    Then Hendrix came along, still playing that same blues, but pushing the guitar to the maximum limits of the time.

So then he passes on, and the next big innovator is Ed. He takes over where Hendrix left off. What he couldn't get the guitar to do, he forced it to do with mods and techniques no one ever thought of before.

So yeah....by today's standards, Clapton is about as intense as Dan Folgelberg. Just a lame old dude playing the same old shit.

So we all love Ed's playing here, and still marvel at all the techniques...still trying to figure some of that stuff out, but take a look at the polls today.
    Explain to me how Slash gets best guitarist.
    I personally don't get it. he's ok.....but in my eyes he's mediocre at best, not much different than Clapton in his soloing really.

So I guess it is just a generational thing. Seems to almost have gone full circle in a way.

I did read an article years ago where they asked Clapton about Ed, and he said "he is obviously a genius, but how could anyone play like that? I couldn't!"
    Your 40 and you "grew up when Hendrix was on top"? He died before you were born dude. When you were born it was Page, Beck and Clapton on top. Then several years later Eddie came on the scene.
    'Old Van Halen, when I was in it-classic Van Halen-makes you wanna drink, dance and screw, right? And the new Van Halen encourages you to drink milk, drive a Nissan and have a relationship.' - David Lee Roth.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Eddymon View Post
    Your 40 and you "grew up when Hendrix was on top"? He died before you were born dude. When you were born it was Page, Beck and Clapton on top. Then several years later Eddie came on the scene.
    haha!
    No what I mean was as far as a guy who took the guitar as far as he did. Til Eddie, no one topped Hendrix. Led Zeppelin was great as a unit, but no one can say Page was the best guitarist.....a great ear for production and studio technique, but not an amazing guitar player, and Beck had isolated himself in the whole jazz/fusion thing most of which was just not mainstream. So for true innovators, it was Hendrix, then Eddie. Clapton went pretty mild in the seventies. I know...Parents were huge fans, and I couldn't stands that stuff.
    That's all I meant.
    Last edited by we die young; 09.16.11 at 06:28 AM.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Currently: 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Currently: Panama
    Last Online

05.30.17 @ 09:20 PM
    Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts

Donor

I'm a huge Clapton fan. I have most of his stuff from The Yardbirds to now. Just listened to his blues work with Wynton Marsalis that came out on Tuesday. He is more of a singer now than a guitar player. His skills are in his songwriting, not so much his playing. He admits to that regularly. He is WAY more humble than you could ever imagine! Read his book...it will give you a lot of insight. (P.S. Named my oldest daughter Layla.)
    Thunder Mountain Brewing Company
    Owner and Brewmaster

Bottled: 2010 Imperial Bastard Stout (9.5% ABV)
    Bottled: 2011 Thunder Mountain Pale Ale (5.5% ABV)
    Fermenting: 2011 Thunder Mountain Irrish Ale (4.9% ABV)

"I'm just a normal jerk who happens to make music. As long as my brain and fingers work, I'm cool." -Eddie Van Halen, 1996

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by EDDIEVH View Post
    I remember seeing an interview with Clapton on VH1 a few years ago where the guy who was interviewing him was blowing smoke up Clapton's ass basically implying he was the best ever.

He asked Clapton if he ever listened to other players and thought "Wow, how does he do that?", expecting Clapton to say no. Clapton said in the early days when he first came out there were other good players but nobody made him think that until Van Halen emerged.

He said from VH onwards even through to more recent (and weaker) players like Slash he just couldn't comprehend the speed they played at. He compared it to fast Jazz picking, something else he said he wasn't really any good at and said although he wouldn't want to play that way, he didn't have the ability to play it.

The interviewer was a bit stunned, I had alot more respect for Clapton after that. To me he's always been a bit of a one trick pony, his playing is likeable but ultimately, by his own admission, not that great.

Think the program was called Mills n Clapton or something like that, Bob Mills was the interviewer.
    His sound on the Blues Breakers album was great. With Cream, I think it was a lot as Eddie described as that reckless abandon. It was basic blues, but with a real focus on freeform improvisational playing. It was breaking away from the structure of typical pop music.
    One of my favorite live jams from Cream is NSU. Weather you like Clapton or not, that's a powerful fucker. Great tone, and some of his best playing.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 06:47 AM
    Liked 4,787 Times in 2,441 Posts

Premium Member

Eddie was offended by the comment Eric made about his playing on Bluesbreaker. To paraphrase Eddie said "well if I suck at playing the blues, your a bad teacher, cause I learned everything from you."

I think in the same interview Eddie talked about how in awe he was when he met Clapton. Said he was really shitfaced (imagine that) and you can tell it on face.

Eddie really wasn't too much different than Clapton regarding hot shot guitarists. When Randy died, Eddie was quoted as saying "at least he admitted copying me." Sure he tapped in a few songs but vastly different players. You never really heard Eddie talk about any guitarists after him either. Nothing about Satch, Vai or Yngwie. I think the only quote about Yngwie was via Sammy who said when he played it to Eddie, Eddie said "that guy is fast."

Anyway I think today Eric probably appreciates Eddie more than he did in the early 80's. That's what happens as you get older. You don't feel quite as threatened.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by ziggysmalls View Post
    Eddie was offended by the comment Eric made about his playing on Bluesbreaker. To paraphrase Eddie said "well if I suck at playing the blues, your a bad teacher, cause I learned everything from you."
    I think I have that interview somewhere. Wasn't it taken from Guitarist Magazine when they had Sammy interview Ed and vice versa?
    I think Ed was responding to Clapton saying something along the lines of "He can't really play the blues" or words to that effect. I'm a huge Clapton fan, always have been. He's not the fastest, most inovative and he certainly has moments where he's playing purely for himself but there is not mistaking the fact that he opened the doors to many white blues guitar players in the 60's and is still influencing new players to this day.

Did anyone see the concert he did with Stevie Winwood at MSG a couple of years ago (I think it's available on DVD)? It's one of the best performances that I have seen, Clapton is on stunning form and plays with genuine passion and Winwood still has one of the best voices ever bestowed on a man.
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Favorite VH Album

Sound Magazine
    Favorite VH Song

I Think I Love You
    Last Online

06.07.15 @ 10:30 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Flavorwire.com The 30 Harshest Musician-on-Musician Insults in History

“People talk about Eric Clapton. What has he ever done except throw his baby off a fuckin’ ledge and write a song about it?” --Anton Newcombe

Don't read this.