Favorite VH Album

adkot
    Favorite VH Song

she's the woman/hbsd
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 08:59 AM
    Liked 171 Times in 106 Posts

Default FDA to Dr. Oz: Apple juice is safe after all

The nationally-syndicated "Dr. Oz Show" on Tuesday revealed what it called the results of a comprehensive investigative report on arsenic levels in store-bought apple juice. Their findings? That the arsenic levels in some brands made them unsafe for consumption. But the U.S. Food and Drug Administration refutes the show’s report and says drinking all brands of apple juice is safe.

..Arsenic is a naturally occurring and inorganic heavy metal, and some levels of it are found in the air we breathe, water we drink and in the ground. It is known to cause cancer and kidney problems. But while high levels of inorganic arsenic can be fatal, the organic form is essentially harmless, says Stephanie Yao, an FDA spokeswoman.

The "Dr. Oz Show" only tested for the total amount, while the FDA tests for levels of both organic and inorganic, says Yao. In fact, the FDA reviewed Oz's test results and informed the show with a letter dated Sept. 9 that they couldn't be used to determine whether the juice is unsafe since it only measured the total arsenic.

The FDA has established a benchmark of 23 parts per billion (ppb) of inorganic and organic arsenic to determine whether a food or beverage is a public health risk or reaches a “level of concern.” If that level is reached, the FDA re-tests a sample to measure the inorganic arsenic.

“As a doctor and a parent, it’s concerning me to that there could be toxins such as arsenic in juice we are giving to our kids,” said two-time Emmy Award-winning host Dr. Mehmet Oz said on his show. “While we do not know of any cases of poisonings, we do know that arsenic is a substance that shouldn’t be in food and could be associated with various public health problems such as cancer. Our show today demonstrates that there is in fact arsenic in some juice products and advocates that allowable levels should be equal with tap and bottle water standards.”

Oz said his show was about the public’s right to know what is in the juice they give their children.

The FDA's Yao maintains there is no cause for alarm.

“We have been monitoring levels of arsenic in many foods, including apple juice for several years, and the data we have shows there really is no cause for concern,” she told msnbc.com Wednesday. “There are very low levels in apple juice. All brands are safe to drink and there is no concern about drinking fruit juices, including apple juice.”
    My karma just ran over your dogma

Love 'em all I says
    Let Cupid sort 'em out

https://www.facebook.com/debra.browne.3114

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

9 out of 10 hypochondriacs approve of the Dr. Oz Show !!!

*the tenth was self-admitted into the local hospital with chest pains and missed the survey...
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

10.27.17 @ 06:31 PM
    Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts

Dr Oz is a moron. I can't tell you how many times have called the pharmacy with "Dr Oz said", and now they have a problem because they did something stupid.

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

The Dr. Oz Show is making some sensational claims, needlessly scaring parents and caregivers.

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) strongly contests the claims made by the show and has reaffirmed the safety of apple juice. In fact, in documents posted on the FDA website, your readers can see that FDA twice reached out to Dr. Oz Show producers in the past week, advising them not to publicize their claims, calling them “irresponsible and misleading.” According to Dr. Gail Charnley, a toxicologist for the Juice Products Association (JPA), the trace levels of arsenic found in apple juice are not harmful.

In fact arsenic, because it is in the air, soil and water, is found in low levels in many naturally sourced foods. “The test results that Dr. Oz reports on his show are invalid because the lab used the wrong test method,” Charnley says. “His conclusions are invalid because he compared the (inaccurate) test results to the Environmental Protection Agency’s limit for water instead of FDA’s limit for juice. Apple juice is not water.”

Further, the nation’s leading health and nutrition experts support the nutritional benefits of 100% fruit juices. Inclusion of 100% juice in the diet is endorsed by the 2010 Dietary Guidelines for Americans, which notes that two nutrient-dense beverages stand out as providing “a substantial amount of nutrients along with the calories they contain:” fat-free/low-fat milk and 100% fruit juice. There are no added sugars in 100% fruit juice, just the natural sugars found in whole fruit. Four ounces of 100% juice counts as a serving (1/2 cup) of fruit, and fruit juices provide an important source of vitamins, minerals and antioxidant-rich phytonutrients.

Readers can get more information about the benefits of fruit juice at http://www.fruitjuicefacts.org.

They can read more about the safety of apple juice from the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/Cons.../ucm271394.htm.

-The Juice Products Association
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    Dr Oz is a moron. I can't tell you how many times have called the pharmacy with "Dr Oz said", and now they have a problem because they did something stupid.
    I apologize for my wife...

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 10:24 AM
    Liked 1,481 Times in 903 Posts

Some people think they are doing the world a favor when actually they are freaking everyone out!
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 1,374 Times in 803 Posts

No kidding! So many of these shows just create a culture of fear. My wife was off work for a while and started watching that "The Doctors" show for a while, and I remember when I came home she was all freaked out because some physical discomfort she'd have sounded like the disease or disorder they were discussing that day. It was really just because of something she did that was strenuous or whatever. and aggravated a nerve in her lower back.
    All these types of show and even ads that try to bring awareness or get donations to disease research or foundations through fear tactics or whatever drive me nuts.
    There's an ad in BC running right how for liver disease. It goes like this:

Liver disease....You can get it from unprotected sex....Or getting a tattoo or body peircing, or sharing a drink....or from a restaurant.....Or perhaps you can be born with it.....It destroys families...Be aware!

So you may be born with it, or you may get it socially, or you might not.....So what do you do....Hmmmmmmmmmm

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 11:11 AM
    Liked 2,386 Times in 1,488 Posts

Premium Member

An Apple a day keeps OZ away!
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

Favorite VH Album

=VH= II
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 11:11 AM
    Liked 792 Times in 381 Posts

Premium Member

Thankfully I've never even heard of him.
    _-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

Favorite VH Album

Bark Like A Dog
    Favorite VH Song

Act Like It Hurts
    Last Online

06.26.17 @ 04:51 PM
    Liked 643 Times in 328 Posts

Dr. Oz = bought and paid for

FDA = bought and paid for
    "Never is just reven spelled backwards." -House

"Did I listen to pop music because I was miserable or was I miserable because I listened to pop music?" -THE Rob Gordon

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 11:01 AM
    Liked 3,115 Times in 1,826 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by wham bam will rock View Post
    Dr. Oz = bought and paid for

FDA = bought and paid for
    I was gonna say, I don't know that I necessarily trust the FDA anyway.