diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:27 PM
    Liked 2,383 Times in 1,487 Posts

Premium Member

Default 9-11-01 We Will Never Forget!!

Ten years and it still hurts to see those planes fly into the Towers and the Pentagon. The heroes of flight 93 and all the service people who have died since and have been wounded in battle. RIP and God Bless America.
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Liked 6,297 Times in 3,167 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by edwardv View Post
    Ten years and it still hurts to see those planes fly into the Towers and the Pentagon. The heroes of flight 93 and all the service people who have died since and have been wounded in battle. RIP and God Bless America.
    Here here. God bless us all and America.

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 03:49 AM
    Liked 6,670 Times in 3,696 Posts

i still can't watch that video without feeling physically ill and remembering the mayhem in my office when i walked in. People trying to call our New York offices to make sure that everyone was ok. It's amazing that any human being is capable of that sort of evil.

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

@

Premium Member

Donor

I was off that day and an employee at one of the two subways I managed call me and said dude they just flew a plane into the WTC. Then he called me a little later and said dude, they just flew another. So I got drunk, sat on the edge of my bed with my shotgun and just sat in utter disbelief. My parents were in the air when this happened coming from Logan airport. I didn't hear from them for 2 days. I was freaking the fuck out.

Favorite VH Album

('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 12:11 PM
    Liked 1,033 Times in 543 Posts

Three weeks ago I was down at Ground Zero for the first time. The most amazing thing to me was how small that area is. On TV you don't get a feel for how tight the streets are and how compact that area is where the towers stood. It really does hit home how horrific that day must have been for everyone who witnessed it in person. Very surreal to stand there and visualize everything as it happened.
    VH with Dave ('78-'84) - The best years....the "real" VH.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.
    VH with Gary ('98) - Fucking disaster. WTF was that??
    VH with Wolf/Dave ('12-'15) - Amazing comeback. Smokin' album and tours.

Favorite VH Album

=VH= II
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 10:29 PM
    Liked 780 Times in 375 Posts

Premium Member

I still get very angry reliving it, especially lately it seems. Like it is happening all over again. I still want to weep or/and smash things (especially jihad things) whenever I see it. Tomorrow will be difficult, and I didn't even lose anyone close. I cannot imagine what the loved ones of those lost are going through right now.

10 years, man. Feels like we're just waiting for it to happen all over again tomorrow.
    _-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Soul Kitchen
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 12:58 PM
    Liked 1,083 Times in 725 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by edwardv View Post
    RIP and God Bless America.
    This
    "I'm the opposite of Bill Cosby. Diamond Dave always gets your approval." (DLR)

"Kids, just say NO to marriage". (Al Bundy)

Rawhide in "A"

OAA

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 02:44 AM
    Liked 1,466 Times in 899 Posts

As you can tell from my avatar (that I've had for 10 years), this day will never be forgotten. I was at work when it happened and it was very surreal. I did go to Ground Zero a couple years ago and it was unreal.

NYC
    DC
    PA
    FDNY
    NYPD
    Armed Forces

We remember!
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Favorite VH Album

The 1 that had that 1 song
    Favorite VH Song

Runaround, MWM, MAM
    Last Online

05.21.17 @ 06:42 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

I was working my morning show in Muscatine, IA. I was doing the typical, light-hearted, comedic/happy-go-lucky, country music, type of morning show. Suddenly the receptionist came in to the studio and had this panicked look in her eyes.

"Turn on CNN, a plane just crashed in to the World Trade Center."

I looked back at her and said; "A what, did what?"

Keep in mind, I had never given much thought about the World Trade Center before 9/11/01. so I turned on CNN and, there it was, the WTC smoking against that beautiful, blue sky. About that time, I had a spot set to play. I went on air and told the listeners what was transpiring. Keep in mind, at the time, NOBODY knew what it was we were facing. I made light of it. I wondered how a pilot could hit a building that stands THAT high. It's not like it just jumps out at you and startles you in to hitting it.

I blabbered for a few minutes and decided, since nothing was being said, they were just repeating themselves, I'd do the stop set. I remember vividly what I said; before going in to commercials.

"Stick around, as details starting coming on this accident in New York at the WTC, we'll be sure to bring them to you. Garth Brooks, Brooks & Dunn and..."

That's when I saw the second plane smash in to the other tower.

I was flabbergasted. Very seldom am I rendered speechless. What came next was the most visceral, innocent, flustered thing I'd ever said on air.

"Holy shit!!!!" As I looked around the studio at the people who had gathered. "Did you just see that?!?!? Another plane crashed in to the other WTC tower!!! Jesus Christ!!! What the Hell is going on?!?!

On a normal day, the FCC would've had a field day with the cussing. Obviously, this was no normal day. Suddenly, the studio is filled with the sales staff, other station personnel, and we started formulating a plan. How were we going to cover this? Without asking for permission, I immediately dumped to the CNN feed. I occassionally would break in to I.D. the station, give a recap, and play a block of commercials.

Then the attack at the Pentagon happened as I was on-air again. All I remember saying was; "Gang, if I didn't know any better, I'd say we're under attack. By who, I don't know, from where, I don't care. But we're under attack."

The GM almost had a coronary. "DON'T SAY THAT!!! We don't know."

I looked at him and said; "Hoppi, ( his nickname), one plane in to a tower is an anomoly. Two planes means something is hokey. But a third in to the Pentagon IS an attack, no matter how you slice it."

Then we heard about Flight 93. I looked at him and said; "So, can I call it an attack yet??" Or are we going to keep being pussies?!?!"

The rest of the day, we ran the CNN feed. Twice an hour stopping to play blocks of commercials, so we didn't piss off the clients; not that they would likely have minded, but we had to still sound like we knew what we were doing.

I got home that afternoon, glued to the T.V., and just held my daughter, who was three at the time, as tight as I could. I knew her world, OUR world, would never be the same again.
    Last edited by RRMB; 09.11.11 at 05:36 AM.
    "Jesus, that fucker just crawled out of his hen house that was destroyed by the Alabama tornados. Fucking 280mph plus winds sucked the gleam off this bitch and passed it on to a bird in Rhoad Island." - Hurricane Halen 5/3/11 (about my birthday chicken from seenbad)

"Pete is this big, loud muthafucker with a big ass heart, y'all!!!!---------" - Hurricane Halen 9/27/13

"Princess Freckle-Tits hasn't had a good day." LLFHS 7/8/10 (on Lindsay Lohans' legal drama)

http://www.facebook.com/RedRockinMonkeyBoy

CHILDREN OF "THE FOOT" UNITE

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 08:33 PM
    Liked 146 Times in 83 Posts

Premium Member

I was working in the Empire State Building that day. I heard about the first plane hitting on the radio and walked over to the other side of the building to take a look. At that point, they were saying on the radio they thought it was a Cessna that hit the tower. I wasn't at the windows when the second plane hit, but I still remember the screams of other people when it did. The fire marshall of the company started running around screaming, "Get out of the building, we're next!" My company was the first to evacuate the building even before they made the general call to evacuate. After they had officially shut down the ESB for the day, I went about trying to get in touch with my wife. I didn't have a cell phone at that time, and getting near a payphone was impossible. I walked over to my friend's office. I was going to call her to let her know I was OK, get on a train, and go home to play some golf to clear my head. By the time I got to my buddy's office, they had shut down all of the trains, so I stayed at his office and listened to the news coverage on the radio. By the time I was able to catch a train home, I remember feeling numb. Just numb. I remember the train coming out of the East River tunnel and seeing the huge smoke cloud rising from where the towers used to be. I cried. I think most people on the train cried.

I was lucky enough not to lose any friends or family that day. But I know people who did. I have a friend who is a NYC cop who to this day occasionally has respiratory issues from his time working at Ground Zero. They tried to tear down my city that day. I will never forget that.
    ^
    ^
    ^---See that beer in my av? Brewed it myself.

VHLinks Official Brewmaster (title bought)
    Angry Turtle Brewing

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 08:10 PM
    Liked 1,344 Times in 922 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wruff_ajax View Post
    10 years, man. Feels like we're just waiting for it to happen all over again tomorrow.
    I'm going to watch games today, but I'm probably going to have a feeling of dread the whole time. I hope those nitwits don't try another stunt, and if they do, I hope we catch 'em before it gets serious.

I've had a lot of days that I'd call "bad days" in my life, but that has to be the worst.

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

@

Premium Member

Donor

I'm watching History channel and watching these FDNY men go into the south tower minutes before it goes. down. It's sad as fuck. I'm a grown ass man and this is making me bawl my eyes out.

Favorite VH Album

The 1 that had that 1 song
    Favorite VH Song

Runaround, MWM, MAM
    Last Online

05.21.17 @ 06:42 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fuddman5150 View Post
    I'm watching History channel and watching these FDNY men go into the south tower minutes before it goes. down. It's sad as fuck. I'm a grown ass man and this is making me bawl my eyes out.
    We were talking about 9/11 here at the station yesterday. I just about knocked out the night guy on one of our sister stations. He's a 9/11 Truther. But WAAAAAAAY out on the lunatic left. Way, waaaaaay out there. He had the audacity to say that the FDNY & NYPD were "in on the plot to destroy the WTC." He said; "They weren't hero's, they're criminals, complicit in the murder's of thousands of civilians...and I'm the only one with courage to say it."

The other's in the room were in stunned scilence. I am NEVER at a loss for words. I WENT OFF!! I turned and backed him in to a corner and just started ripping in to his ass.

I don't remember everything I said, but I finished with; "if they were complicit...why were they running IN TO the building, instead of standing around, or running FROM the building?"

Then the coup de 'gras. I said; "You fucking douche-nozzle, piece of shit...there is a HUGE difference between, what you call courage, and what they showed 10 years ago."

Then I continued on; "While you THINK you're brave/courageous for talking out your ass; at the first sign of a fight, or trouble, your courage would dribble down your leg in a yellow stream." "Those men & women showed ONE thing that you'll NEVER have...integrity."
    "Jesus, that fucker just crawled out of his hen house that was destroyed by the Alabama tornados. Fucking 280mph plus winds sucked the gleam off this bitch and passed it on to a bird in Rhoad Island." - Hurricane Halen 5/3/11 (about my birthday chicken from seenbad)

"Pete is this big, loud muthafucker with a big ass heart, y'all!!!!---------" - Hurricane Halen 9/27/13

"Princess Freckle-Tits hasn't had a good day." LLFHS 7/8/10 (on Lindsay Lohans' legal drama)

http://www.facebook.com/RedRockinMonkeyBoy

CHILDREN OF "THE FOOT" UNITE

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Sinner's Swing!/Little Guitars
    Last Online

06.13.16 @ 04:44 PM
    Liked 28 Times in 15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Double Down View Post
    Three weeks ago I was down at Ground Zero for the first time. The most amazing thing to me was how small that area is. On TV you don't get a feel for how tight the streets are and how compact that area is where the towers stood. It really does hit home how horrific that day must have been for everyone who witnessed it in person. Very surreal to stand there and visualize everything as it happened.
    Yes. I agree.

This is from May 9 of this year, taken from the rooftop of my ex-girlfriend's brother's apartment.

It was surreal staying across from that site for 5 days. Each time I walked past it I froze to try and make sense of everything but I still couldn't. It's a very powerful site.

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

@

Premium Member

Donor

I'm watching Nat Geo's Guiliani's 9/11 and its really good.