Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast
    Last Online

05.23.17 @ 11:53 AM
    Liked 137 Times in 67 Posts

Default Mick Wall chimes in on Van Halen

http://www.rockaaa.com/editorial-2/v...surprised-8557

Mick Wall is a pretty famous rock journalist. I found these comments today underneath an article criticizing the reunion.

"With respect to the long-suffering VH fans who runs this site, and speaking as someone who has worked in the rock biz for nearly 35 years, as a writer, PR consultant, artist manager and record company executive, I can tell you right now that any album not already on the schedule this close to Xmas will not be coming out this year. They haven't even mastered it yet? Why not? It's not on the schedule? Why do you think that is - because it's too good? Please."

"The fan club loyalists are always the last to know anything, trust me. Let's see if the album comes out in 2011 like they day. Meanwhile, hate to break it to you but Santa Clause isn't real either."

Nice guy.. His kids must be great.

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 06:02 AM
    Liked 6,708 Times in 3,727 Posts

It sounds like he's just guessing as opposed to knowing anything.

Last Online

rigth he's just being cynical for the sake of it. Realistic maybe. But still he doesn't know anything really. He's being a bit one sided imo. He's focusing on the rumor that there are vocal issues, but ignoring vhnd saying the album is done and there is no issue. It really depends on what you believe.

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 06:02 AM
    Liked 6,708 Times in 3,727 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JudgementDay View Post
    rigth he's just being cynical for the sake of it. Realistic maybe. But still he doesn't know anything really. He's being a bit one sided imo. He's focusing on the rumor that there are vocal issues, but ignoring vhnd saying the album is done and there is no issue. It really depends on what you believe.
    One guy has a history of knowing something about the band and the other is typing into a laptop on the other end of the planet with no history with the band. I think you know who I believe.

Last Online

My opinion is it wouldn't surprise me if there are vocal issues. Eddie has had issues with vocals before. He wants everything to be perfect. I've also heard Dave sing and everything Eddie says is legit. Dave just can't sing those high parts anymore. Even in verses that are higher than others live like I'm the one and hot for teacher, and the cradle will rock, where Dave has to be clear he instead muffles his voice and sings kind of goofy to cover for it. He can't scream as naturally like he used to. HE's older. He's smoked. He's drank done too many drugs. That's the reality. I think the band has to accept that fact. Dave isn't going to sound like he used to. He still sounds pretty good and gives off that VH vibe and the band can sound good.

Both guys are control freaks. HIstory says this. They want the best possible product.

I could understand if they want to keep trying and trying and release the best possible album they can and Eddie is frustrated. This is a last gasp and he wants it to be right.

But on the same token. That's all speculation. The album is recorded. It could just be what it is. Dave sounded fine on me wise magic. It took a bit longer but he sounded good. They got it done.

For all we know there could be no issue like VHND is saying. It could just be speculation and people using their heads too much and common sense taking over, and people wondering what is taking so long. People will say whatever and hear this and that when it's just someones opinion.
    Last edited by JudgementDay; 09.10.11 at 12:28 PM.

Last Online

Everything I've seen on their last tour in 2008 is the band sounded good and was trying to clean up their act and was on the right track. HE uses an example of 1990 but this isn't 1990. Dave looked better in 2008 than he has in years. So did Eddie.

Sometimes fans do know best. Just ebcause this guy is some acclaimed writer really doesn't give him any more clout than me. I get it he is being cynical and thinks he's telling it like it is. But he really doesn't know just like I don't know. That's really what it is. Only Van Halen really knows. Not to go all Jim mora on him but I will anyways. You really don't know. I hate it when people talk like they do and list their credentials like that means something. That's the media for you.

Last edited by JudgementDay; 09.10.11 at 12:45 PM.

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 12:39 PM
    Liked 214 Times in 92 Posts

You guys remember when they released the 2 songs with Dave in 96 for Best Of. There were a couple of interviews that Dave did where he himself said that he hadn't been recording or singing in a while and his voice wasn't doing very well...when he went to record those 2 tracks with VH he said it took him like 2 weeks just to be able to really go into the studio to do the vocals for MWM, and it took a lot of work in the studio just for him to be able to get a decent take...and he praised Eddie for being patient with him, saying he would have understood if Eddie just said fuck it this isn't working. Dave's never been a singer really and I wouldn't be surprised if they are struggling to get an acceptable vocal from Dave, he's pushing 60 now and we all know there isn't much left with his voice. Just speculation though. I suspect Mick Wall doesn't really know shit about what's going on with VH either, so I really don't care what he thinks. We will see the album soon I bet.

Last Online

Right, Dave said himself and thanked Eddie for sticking with him because a lot of guys would have bailed on him and Eddie said Dave was a real trooper. In the end the songs came out great. It took a bit longer but it was worth it. I don't see why this would be any different and who knows if there is any issue at all. Dave was in better shape now than he was then. He toured with the band worked on his voice a bit.

The fallout occured at that time because the band just wasn't ready for a reunion at that point imo. Dave was all excited and was pushing for a record. Sammy was still in the mix, the band had broken up for the 2nd time, Eddie had addiction issues and was like slow down.

They said that themselves. It had nothing to do with vocals at that point. It was just too soon and happened too fast. They took the stage together at the mtv awards and were suddenly like oh shit not this again.

Can past lovers who had a lovers spat get back together again? Who knows? We will find out? ARe they little girls with hurt feelings that will never heal? If they take their time and concentrate on the music I don't see why not.

I'm sort of hoping the band is more mature and stops acting like little girls who had their butts hurt. I'm kind of hoping the media does the same but that might be too much to ask.
    Last edited by JudgementDay; 09.10.11 at 12:59 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Love 'em all
    Favorite VH Song

Romney's Cryin'
    Last Online

02.26.13 @ 07:34 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

If it isn't out in 2011, does it really matter? We have been waiting since about 1999 or so for a new VH. Now, Jeff said that the album is done, mixed, and will be mastered by the end of September. Does a spring of '12 really seem so bad?

I just wish that VH would give us and update.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.20.12 @ 08:26 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sounds like this guy still thinks music is printed on vinyl, tape and plastic since that was probably when his career was relevant. Plus nobody knows what the plan is except VH and their circle.
    As usual, there is a great woman behind every idiot.
    - John Lennon

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

Love them all
    Favorite VH Song

Love them all
    Last Online

03.31.15 @ 07:34 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by vhin04 View Post
    You guys remember when they released the 2 songs with Dave in 96 for Best Of. There were a couple of interviews that Dave did where he himself said that he hadn't been recording or singing in a while and his voice wasn't doing very well...when he went to record those 2 tracks with VH he said it took him like 2 weeks just to be able to really go into the studio to do the vocals for MWM, and it took a lot of work in the studio just for him to be able to get a decent take...and he praised Eddie for being patient with him, saying he would have understood if Eddie just said fuck it this isn't working. Dave's never been a singer really and I wouldn't be surprised if they are struggling to get an acceptable vocal from Dave, he's pushing 60 now and we all know there isn't much left with his voice. Just speculation though. I suspect Mick Wall doesn't really know shit about what's going on with VH either, so I really don't care what he thinks. We will see the album soon I bet.
    And in MWM Dave really didn't sing anyway. He talked through much of the lyrics in that sultry baritone. No complaints, it sounded cool. He just really didn't sing ... sort of an old man rap
    "I play like I'm breaking out of jail" - Stevie Ray Vaughan

Last Online

They are going to have to work around that and they don't have mike's backing vocals to cover for it either. That's one thing I noticed on tour is Dave's weakness is even more noticeable because he doesn't have anyone to sing those high parts. If they had Mike they could just have him do it and harmonize. Sad thing is right now they need Mike more than ever. Maybe they will be better for it though.

Last Online

On tour they were piping in Mike's vocals in spots. On the record that would just be blatant and bad. They can't do that can they? Mike actually sang the songs they piping in so they can get away with it. The vocals most likely are going to suffer bceause of this and there is nothing they can do about it. It might be missing something because of that.

This is one legitament reason I could see the album being shelved until Mike is done with Chickenfoot. But now I'm speculating and talking crazy.

If VH were to delay the record and bring MA back into the fold to finish it would that surprise you?

there are rumors that sammy is reuiniting with montrose after he is done with chickenfoot.
    Last edited by JudgementDay; 09.10.11 at 01:47 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 06:06 AM
    Liked 18,161 Times in 8,975 Posts

I just can't listen to VHIII and then believe vocals are the hold up on this.

DLR could fart in a tub and sound better.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

=VH=
    Favorite VH Song

=VH=
    Last Online

07.05.12 @ 08:05 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I heard the news baby, all about your disease...

They are going to have to work around that and they don't have mike's backing vocals to cover for it either. That's one thing I noticed on tour is Dave's weakness is even more noticeable because he doesn't have anyone to sing those high parts. If they had Mike they could just have him do it and harmonize. Sad thing is right now they need Mike more than ever. Maybe they will be better for it though.
    On tour they were piping in Mike's vocals in spots. On the record that would just be blatant and bad. They can't do that can they? Mike actually sang the songs they piping in so they can get away with it. The vocals most likely are going to suffer bceause of this and there is nothing they can do about it. It might be missing something because of that.
    How would you know this to be ???

...Sounds more like your speculation than a factual statement!

Last edited by Magic W. Meanstreet; 09.10.11 at 01:51 PM.