Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Default Great alternative to a Les Paul!

Firstly I know I should post pics of new gear in the 'Gear Pics' thread and if AT feels that this should be moved there then, feel free mate..

The main reason I'm starting this thread though, is. For a while now I've been looking for a guitar that is constructed similarly to and sounds like a Les Paul but without being a Les Paul....Because I happen to really dislike them (As I have stated mny times) although there is no denying that few guitars sound quite like a good LP in the right hands.
    Well my search is over, I came accross a Yamaha MSG Standard. Mahog body with flamed maple top, PAF-alike humbuckers (Yamaha's own), Bound Mahog glued-in neck...Basically everything that a good LP should have. What it doesn't have i the back breaking weight, what I consider to be a slightly inhibiting shape and the stupid, too short 24.57" scale length.
    I was considering a PRS of some sort but couldn't really justify paying out over £2k, The Yamaha cost me £400 (used) the set-up is damn near perfect and there's hardly a scratch on it, best of all it has the 25" scale of a PRS which I'm really a big fan of at the moment.

The guitar was designed by British Luthier Martin Booth and his company still makes a version of it today (although considerably more expensive).
    Sorry about the crappy cell phone pics, I will take better ones when I have more time.

Anyone else find a good alternative to the LP?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	03092011454.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	41.9 KB 
ID:	1421   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	03092011458.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	37.2 KB 
ID:	1422   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	03092011457.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	18.4 KB 
ID:	1423  
    Last edited by tommywho5150; 09.03.11 at 04:15 AM.
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

06.23.17 @ 09:49 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

tommy that looks almost identical to my ibanez AR 300 Artist. light honduras mahagony and thin wizard style neck. although i like the heavier tuneamatic bridge piece on yours . ive been thinking of retro fitting a meatier/more mass type of bridge to mine , any ideas ?
    www.rickshick.tumblr.com

1love4chi

Deftones , now and forever and only second to VH.

Dave or Sammy ?.........pffffft Eddie.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Have a look at some of the Tone Pro's retro fit items mate.
    I'm not sure what the exact neck profile is on my Yamaha but it's certainly nothing like the Ibanez Wizard, more like a 50's LP...Plenty of meat and chunk which I like because I have stupidly massive hands.

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 1,374 Times in 803 Posts

That's a beauty Tommy!
    I'm in kind of the same boat you are with the shorter scale Gibson uses, as well as the weight issue of the Paul.
    I have an SG Standard as well as Sleeper's old Faded Special.
    Now I love them cuz they are far lighter, and the sound out of them is very Paul like, but I mainly only really play blues, and solo below the 12th. fret (Except for stretches) on the things because I find it difficult with large hands to play with the frets so damn close high up. I know it sounds lame, but I just am so used to 25" scale and a wide neck for soloing, so when I get a Gibson in my hands, I almost feel like my hand is gonna cramp.
    Those Yamaha's are gorgeous though, and I hope you enjoy it for years to come. Bet she sounds like a tone monster!!!

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by we die young View Post
    That's a beauty Tommy!
    I'm in kind of the same boat you are with the shorter scale Gibson uses, as well as the weight issue of the Paul.
    I have an SG Standard as well as Sleeper's old Faded Special.
    Now I love them cuz they are far lighter, and the sound out of them is very Paul like, but I mainly only really play blues, and solo below the 12th. fret (Except for stretches) on the things because I find it difficult with large hands to play with the frets so damn close high up. I know it sounds lame, but I just am so used to 25" scale and a wide neck for soloing, so when I get a Gibson in my hands, I almost feel like my hand is gonna cramp.
    Those Yamaha's are gorgeous though, and I hope you enjoy it for years to come. Bet she sounds like a tone monster!!!
    Thanks dude...She plays and feels amazing. Usually I'm a Strat guy but I've been after something a little like a Les Paul for a while but Didn't because of the reasons I posted above. Then I played a PRS Johnny Highland and fell head over heals for the thing but didn't pull the trigger because I couldn't justify the price. The Yamaha stepped up to the plate perfectly. Same woods as an LP, VERY similar pickups and hardware and best of all, the playability (or pretty damn close) of the PRS (although the overal fit and finish isn't anywhere near PRS quality levels). I can get pretty Damn close to Gary Moore's tone now, which makes me a VERY happy boy!!