Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

05.26.17 @ 11:48 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

Default Biking

Anyone bike much? Or getting back into it?

OK, so I need to lose about 45 pounds I'm 6'4", but even at that height, I'm just slogging around too much weight. I figured I'd get back into biking. It has been around 15-20 years since I was biking on a regular basis.

So I have this old Fuji road bike from the 1980s. Steel-Chrome-Molybdenum lugged alloy frame. Its a bit too small for me. Works though.

I'm riding this for now after putting on a new seat (because the old one was damaging the um...critical equipment). Also put on some new tires and tubes on the thing.

I don't want to sink any more money into this old bike though. I figure if I can drop 20 pounds and get half way to my goal, then I will finish the effort with a modern bike.

So, looks like all the quality new bikes are either Aluminum or Carbon Fiber. What is better? Especially for a big person like me (240lbs now, but should be 220 when it is time to buy). I walked into a bike store and was a little intimidated with all the new stuff out.

In the store, I lifted up a carbon bike and could not believe how light it was. I'd be afraid of it shattering under me if I should hit a pothole at 30+ mph.

Anyone have any advice for getting a good bike that fits? Online or a local bike shop? Brand? I'd like to buy a bike made in the US, but it doesn't look like there is much to choose from anymore. I'm looking to spend around 1K or so if I make my goal on the old Fuji.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

02.24.12 @ 05:19 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Don't be to intimidated by current road bike technology, the sis shifters are much better than the eighties, the rest really hasn't changed much over the years in my opinion. For your size you can do either carbon or alum frames or a combo. the early carbon was iffy on higher weight the newer stuff is very strong. Good buys are lemond, trek ( same thing ) cannondale around that 1000 range. Make sure you get the gearing you want, some triple cranks ( lower easier up hill gearing) or two chain ring cranks that have replaceable gears. sealed replaceable bottom bracket and a decent rear derailluer (sp). I spent 92 through 2004 on a paramount chromo frame that had high end shimano shifters and gear on it. I bought a aluminum carbon forked lemond for 1100 with lower end equipment in 2004 and it works just as well just wont work as long. i don't train for mtn bike racing anymore so I don't abuse the bike like I used to. So most bikes in the 1000-1200 market should be good from a reputable brand if your not gonna pound 500 miles a week on it. look at last years bikes or closeouts, the schwinn store i used to race for would get killer closeout deals this time of the year. Due to changes in the company i no longer can endorse schwinn
    " if this band fails I'll take up the tuba " Eddie Van Halen
    And playing 3rd tuba in the pasedena marching band Mr Edward Van Halen

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Respect my Wind
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 10:41 PM
    Liked 1,139 Times in 649 Posts

I am currently riding 35 to 50 miles a week and cannot understand why I ever stopped. You get old (er) and you forget what made you young and why you felt so much better physically, until you pick back up something from your youth and this was mine. You won't regret the first few weeks of soreness when you can do thirty miles along a beautiful trail or road to clear your head. It's natures way of paying you back
    "Alcoholism, is like, the only disease you can get yelled at for having" - Mitch
    Hedberg

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 1,374 Times in 803 Posts

Yeah! Just got back on the bike again. Used to ride everywhere when I was younger, and like another poster said, I don't know why I ever stopped.
    Great to keep you healthy and energized, and with my work possibly moving closer to where I live, I plan to ride there as many days as I can.

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 05:57 AM
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts

Donor

I like to bike, but with a 3 yr old, 2 yr old and a 4 month old, finding the time is tough. Would love to get back into it on a regular basis.
    "What we are dealing with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law" - Jackie Gleason, Smokey and the Bandit

www.geocaching.com - The site where you are the search engine.

Favorite VH Album

Pirates of the Carribean
    Favorite VH Song

How Many Say Aye?
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:14 PM
    Liked 1,626 Times in 872 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Wife & I have Cannondale mountain bikes we got for Christmas 10 yrs ago. Aluminum frame, hand made in PA I think. I have a friend who owned a bike shop at the time. He sold Cannondale 'cause they were made here. Don't know if they still are. We started with basic bikes & added/upgraded from there. Mine's more tricked out than hers simply because I am a junkie when it comes to that sort of thing. I'm sure they're way out of date now but we still ride 'em & they've stood the test of time thus far.

As for fitting, definitely go to a shop & get fitted proper.
    -TVH-

If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace. -Thomas Paine

What is government itself but the greatest of all reflections on human nature? - James Madison

Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian. - Henry Ford

Good Enough
    Last Online

05.15.16 @ 10:48 PM
    Liked 164 Times in 76 Posts

I don't know much about bikes, Duck, but I did want to pop in and wish you luck on your fitness goals. Go for it.

Existentially Uncertain Fontcow's Avatar
    Last Online

03.13.17 @ 07:58 PM
    Liked 868 Times in 463 Posts

I trail ride about 50 miles a week (10 miles at a pop). Fantastic way to do both physical and cardio activity. I can't stop! I've been doing it now for about six-to-seven years. The only thing I hate is living in the midwest is when winter comes. I need to move to a better climate where I can do it all year around. I have one of those indoor trainers you put your bike into, but it's not the same.

As a reference, I'm still biking on a hardtail Trek 820 mountain bike I bought back 1997. I keep it maintained and it still works great. However, for a few years now I've been wanting to get a more modern bike with shocks on the front forks and under the seat with disc brakes. But, what I've got now works pretty well.

I will say though that the greatest upgrade over the years that I did is to get clipless pedals and cleated shoes that hook onto the pedals like a ski binder. That way you're not "running" on top of the pedals and you get a better workout (not to mention better efficiency) because on the upstroke you're also pulling up on the pedals instead of just pushing down on them.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 02:04 AM
    Liked 65 Times in 36 Posts

Premium Member

Timely thread - Just went out and bought my first bike in about 20 years a couple weeks ago. Must be something bout being 40!

Bought a Giant mountainbike, very happy with it so far though might get some different tyres for it, came with big knobblies and I'll mainly be on paths/bike trails, dont really need all that traction at this point in time

Geez proves how unfit I am though, used to ride round everywhere all day when I was a young fella. Knocking up pretty quick at the moment!
    A little zen....... Headed your way.......

Good Enough
    Last Online

05.15.16 @ 10:48 PM
    Liked 164 Times in 76 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Goo View Post
    Timely thread - Just went out and bought my first bike in about 20 years a couple weeks ago. Must be something bout being 40!

Bought a Giant mountainbike, very happy with it so far though might get some different tyres for it, came with big knobblies and I'll mainly be on paths/bike trails, dont really need all that traction at this point in time

Geez proves how unfit I am though, used to ride round everywhere all day when I was a young fella. Knocking up pretty quick at the moment!
    You might be onto something, Goo. I own a 1998 Gary Fisher Aquila mountain bike. In 2005 I was out in the desert goofing off with it and got into a serious accident.

When I say "serious," I mean it. I flew over the handlebars into a boulder, crushing my left shoulder. I won't go into the gory details, but I had bone sticking out of my body. I never went to med school, but I'm certain they're supposed to stay inside. Got a nifty helicopter ride to the ER, too.

Anyway, I recovered, but I hung up the bike, literally. It was hanging in my garage since the day of the accident over six years ago.

I turned 40 this year and finally worked up the nerve to get back on 'er. Took it in for new tubes, tires and thorough tune-up and she rides like new.

I'm being more careful now, but I'm having a blast riding around town for errands and appointments - anyplace where I don't have to take the car. My endurance isn't a fraction of what it was, but it's good to get back on the horse, so to speak.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Summer Nights, Cabo Wabo
    Last Online

10.19.17 @ 06:44 PM
    Liked 55 Times in 21 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

As a matter of fact I stopped in a bike shop today. I am looking into a lower end Trek. Something that I can ride on the road/park like I normally do, but still has that mountain bike look. They are pricey let me tell you.

I ride my vintage mountain bike from circa 2000 at least once a week in the summer, but don't care to ride it in the cold. The thing is still in great shape but it is heavy and has some shifting issues.

Biking is fun though. It must be nice to live in a climate where it can be done year round without weather issues.

Bike on!

Artists I Have Seen: 1D, 38 Special, Aerosmith, Alabama, Bad Company, Bad English, Billy Squire, Bob Seger, Bon Jovi, Boston, BTO, Cheap Trick, Chicago, Chickenfoot, Cinderella, Daughtry, Dave Matthews Band, Default, Def Leppard, Dio, Dokken, Drowning Pool, Eagles, Earth Wind & Fire, Eddie Money, Eric Clapton, Farenheit, Fleetwood Mac, Foreigner, Garth Brooks, George Strait, Glass Tiger, Heart, Huey Lewis and the News, Jackson Browne, Jimmy Buffett, Joan Jett and the Blackhearts, Joe Bonamassa, John Mellencamp, Journey, Keel, Kingdom Come, Kings X, KISS, Kool and the Gang, Krokus, Lionel Richie, Little River Band, Lou Gramm, Loverboy, Los Lonely Boys, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Metallica, Michael Bolton, Nickelback, Night Ranger, Paul Stanley, Peter Frampton, Pink Floyd, Poison, Red Rider, REO Speedwagon, Santana, Sammy Hagar, Shinedown, Steely Dan, Steve Miller Band, Styx, Ted Nugent, Tesla, The 1975, The Black Crowes, The Roots, The Wallflowers, U2, Van Halen, Whitesnake, Zac Brown Band, ZZ Top

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:32 PM
    Liked 2,238 Times in 1,356 Posts

funny you should bring this up....getting back into it, but my 10 year old GT Timberline has the hardtail design.....which I think refers to how hard it is on your tail

makes my lower back hurt....so for casual riding I'm going to the Schwinn store for a beach cruiser.. .with a rack over the rear tire and a bell and a basket!

planning on using it for quick trips to the store etc....however, I've noticed that the bike racks in front of stores have disappeared and I may be asking for a ride home if my lock fails to deter the criminal element

any advice on that?

survivor of the Bowling Green Massacre 9-3-2016 BGSU 10 OSU 77

She was warned. She was given an explanation. Nevertheless, she persisted.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Summer Nights, Cabo Wabo
    Last Online

10.19.17 @ 06:44 PM
    Liked 55 Times in 21 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Hill View Post
    funny you should bring this up....getting back into it, but my 10 year old GT Timberline has the hardtail design.....which I think refers to how hard it is on your tail

makes my lower back hurt....so for casual riding I'm going to the Schwinn store for a beach cruiser.. .with a rack over the rear tire and a bell and a basket!

planning on using it for quick trips to the store etc....however, I've noticed that the bike racks in front of stores have disappeared and I may be asking for a ride home if my lock fails to deter the criminal element

any advice on that?
    Well if you have a basket then you have to have a dog riding in it. Just get some chihuahua that acts like it is a rabid dog on crack whenever people are around. No one will mess with your bike then.

Artists I Have Seen: 1D, 38 Special, Aerosmith, Alabama, Bad Company, Bad English, Billy Squire, Bob Seger, Bon Jovi, Boston, BTO, Cheap Trick, Chicago, Chickenfoot, Cinderella, Daughtry, Dave Matthews Band, Default, Def Leppard, Dio, Dokken, Drowning Pool, Eagles, Earth Wind & Fire, Eddie Money, Eric Clapton, Farenheit, Fleetwood Mac, Foreigner, Garth Brooks, George Strait, Glass Tiger, Heart, Huey Lewis and the News, Jackson Browne, Jimmy Buffett, Joan Jett and the Blackhearts, Joe Bonamassa, John Mellencamp, Journey, Keel, Kingdom Come, Kings X, KISS, Kool and the Gang, Krokus, Lionel Richie, Little River Band, Lou Gramm, Loverboy, Los Lonely Boys, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Metallica, Michael Bolton, Nickelback, Night Ranger, Paul Stanley, Peter Frampton, Pink Floyd, Poison, Red Rider, REO Speedwagon, Santana, Sammy Hagar, Shinedown, Steely Dan, Steve Miller Band, Styx, Ted Nugent, Tesla, The 1975, The Black Crowes, The Roots, The Wallflowers, U2, Van Halen, Whitesnake, Zac Brown Band, ZZ Top

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

I've enjoyed reading all these posts so far. Glad I'm not the only person on these forums getting back into it!

Well, I only have 66 miles on my old Fuji bike so far. Done about 7-8 rides of the past couple of weeks since I started. Riding in the early morning before work, since it is the only time I can fit 30 minutes in for a ride. (The rest of the day is work, then when I get home it is wife & kid stuff 'till late.)

OK, weighed myself this morning. Still around 240 (ugg!). But I think I am feeling overall better. A little more alive in a way. Feels great to go to work knowing I already spend 30 minutes or so riding.

Damn...can't wait to drop 20-25lbs to make hit the "buy new bike" trigger! And also have to not pull around that weight.

Good info so far on the thread. I think I am leaning to an aluminum frame right now. Looking online a bit at Treks and GTs. I see Cannondale used to be 100% Made in the USA. Now I see they are now made in Taiwan.

One day I will try to commute. Work is 20 miles away and over some hills and the Hudson river. Bit of a challenge, since I will need to also ride home. And have to carry a change of clothes and a laptop in a backpack too.

Anyone commute regularly to work?

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Hill View Post

any advice on that?
    Some people advocate using a really cheap bike that people won't steal!

But you can get a nice U-lock or thick cable and attach it to a sturdy lam post or something cemented or bolted down. Probably just as good.

Any determined thief can get any bike that they really want. So locks and such are just more of a deterrent than anything else.

Now I want to go watch some of this.... hehe