Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Good Enough
    Last Online

05.15.16 @ 10:48 PM
    Liked 164 Times in 76 Posts

Default The lightbulb and you

I'm a reader of Wired Magazine and this month's issue has a great article about lightbulbs.

Wait ... don't run off to the Beautiful Girls thread, yet. This involves you.

The quick rundown is, incandescent lightbulbs are being phased out by the government, thanks to the 2007 Energy Independence and Security Act. By 2013, you will not be able to buy a 70-watt bulb.

If you thought CFLs are the future, you're wrong. They're going the way of the dinosaur, too. Ever buy one of those twisty little CFLs with the guarantee on the package that it'll last for years, only to have it malfunction within a few weeks? Turns out that's a design flaw that can't be overcome. CFLs have to be used in a specific way, or they have short lives. Plus, scientists can't overcome their unattractive "skim milk" glow they put off. Not to mention the mercury they contain.

The future is LED (light emitting diodes).

In 2008, as part of the same law mentioned above, the Department of Energy launched a contest with a $10 million prize to the company that can produce an LED for home use that's equivalent to a 60-watt bulb. One of the requirements is the bulb cannot draw more than 10 watts of electricity.

The magazine article focuses on a small player in the lightbulb game that's taking the challenge, but not entering the contest.

The good news is, if we all switched to workable LEDs at home, it would be the equivalent of removing hundreds of thousands of cars from the road. Take that, OPEC! The bad news is, although there are no solid cost projections, some people are predicting you'll be shelling out $30 to $50 PER BULB.

Whee!

Wruff and I had a big blow up with each other in another thread and the reason I'm starting this one is I'd love to hear your opinions about whether the government ought to be pushing this change. On one hand, it will reduce our electricity consumption (thus reduce pollution and dependence on foreign oil), but on the other hand, it's Uncle Sam screwing us, or at least mandating what type of lightbulb we're allowed to screw in.

Seeing as how this really isn't a hot-button issue, and it's not about race, religion or sexual orientation (we're talking lightbulbs here), it might turn into an interesting debate.

Or it might die a slow and painful death. Whatevs. Have at it.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by ToddE View Post
    I'm a reader of Wired Magazine and this month's issue has a great article about lightbulbs.

Wait ... don't run off to the Beautiful Girls thread, yet. This involves you.

The quick rundown is, incandescent lightbulbs are being phased out by the government, thanks to the 2007 Energy Independence and Security Act. By 2013, you will not be able to buy a 70-watt bulb.

If you thought CFLs are the future, you're wrong. They're going the way of the dinosaur, too. Ever buy one of those twisty little CFLs with the guarantee on the package that it'll last for years, only to have it malfunction within a few weeks? Turns out that's a design flaw that can't be overcome. CFLs have to be used in a specific way, or they have short lives. Plus, scientists can't overcome their unattractive "skim milk" glow they put off. Not to mention the mercury they contain.

The future is LED (light emitting diodes).

In 2008, as part of the same law mentioned above, the Department of Energy launched a contest with a $10 million prize to the company that can produce an LED for home use that's equivalent to a 60-watt bulb. One of the requirements is the bulb cannot draw more than 10 watts of electricity.

The magazine article focuses on a small player in the lightbulb game that's taking the challenge, but not entering the contest.

The good news is, if we all switched to workable LEDs at home, it would be the equivalent of removing hundreds of thousands of cars from the road. Take that, OPEC! The bad news is, although there are no solid cost projections, some people are predicting you'll be shelling out $30 to $50 PER BULB.

Whee!

Wruff and I had a big blow up with each other in another thread and the reason I'm starting this one is I'd love to hear your opinions about whether the government ought to be pushing this change. On one hand, it will reduce our electricity consumption (thus reduce pollution and dependence on foreign oil), but on the other hand, it's Uncle Sam screwing us, or at least mandating what type of lightbulb we're allowed to screw in.

Seeing as how this really isn't a hot-button issue, and it's not about race, religion or sexual orientation (we're talking lightbulbs here), it might turn into an interesting debate.

Or it might die a slow and painful death. Whatevs. Have at it.
    In England we're about to lose the 60watt lightbulb and we lost the 100watt about a year ago. Stores that still have stock can still sell them though and many people are stocking up. I changed all of our lighting to CFL's a while back...I hate the damn things, you have to switch them on in advance because they take what seems like 300 years to 'warm up'...Yeah, they're cheaper on your fuel bills but they have to be switched on for 3 weeks before you can use them properly kinda defeats the object and the light is dull and grey...I hate them! In our lounge i recently fitted a light fitted with ultra bright LED's and so far I'm impredded, the light is nice and white and it's instant and the diodes weren't too expensive, they do however, get very hot. I will probably end up throwing out the CFL lights (I might even throw the bulbs at the local hippies and ramblers and see if their gums turn blue!) and replacing them with similar LED type equivilents.
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Good Enough
    Last Online

I have no idea about this, but can you just toss CFLs in the trash? With their mercury content, I'll bet that's illegal (around the U.S., anyway).

I'm liking LEDs, too. They're definitely the future. I guess the full size LED lightbulbs have heat sinks built in to reduce the temperature. The magazine talked about another one that's liquid filled and the goo (not our Goo) inside dissipates the heat. Further, the mag predicted the future of light will be LED flat panels, rather than bulbs.

Not sure why I find light bulbs fun to talk about, but there it is.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by ToddE View Post
    I have no idea about this, but can you just toss CFLs in the trash? With their mercury content, I'll bet that's illegal (around the U.S., anyway).

I'm liking LEDs, too. They're definitely the future. I guess the full size LED lightbulbs have heat sinks built in to reduce the temperature. The magazine talked about another one that's liquid filled and the goo (not our Goo) inside dissipates the heat. Further, the mag predicted the future of light will be LED flat panels, rather than bulbs.

Not sure why I find light bulbs fun to talk about, but there it is.
    Oh it's highly illegal over here too, which is why I plan on poisoning hippies and ramblers with them!!!...lol
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Good Enough
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by tommywho5150 View Post
    Oh it's highly illegal over here too, which is why I plan on poisoning hippies and ramblers with them!!!...lol
    Ha! CFLs are useful after all.

Favorite VH Album

Complete Zero
    Favorite VH Song

Lets Get Rockin
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 03:10 AM
    Liked 1,861 Times in 730 Posts

Donor

Part of my company developed a product that would make an incandescent bulb last 15 time longer and save 10% on energy costs associated with the bulb. All it is is a little disc the size of a nickel that sticks to the bottom of any bulb with 2 sided tape. Just stick it on, screw the bulb into the socket and you are done. One of our biggest obstacles when trying to sell these to hotels, retail and offices is that the people buying them didn't think their maintenance people would bother to use them and they would sit on a shelf.

Needless to say the item never really took off. We sell it in some consumer catalogs but not in great quantities. I do use them at home and while I cannot calculate whether it saves me on energy costs it certainly has made the bulbs last a lot longer than without and much longer than the few CFL's I have purchased.

LED does seem the way to go but the price has to come way way down to be affordable to the masses.
    I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass.

Good Enough
    Last Online

Interesting, sickman. Can you explain in layman's terms how that worked?

Have you ever seen this story? Bulb's been burning more than 100 years. http://www.snopes.com/science/lightbulb.asp

Favorite VH Album

Can you actually just pick 1?
    Favorite VH Song

Can you actually just pick 1?
    Last Online

04.21.16 @ 10:55 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I think in order for us to make progress there has to be government regulation otherwise we just maintain the status quo. Think about lead paint; had there been no kind of regulation this paint would not have been banned and more people would be getting lead poisoning today. How about asbestos. Asbestos was used in everything from vinyl flooring to popcorn ceilings, and was even used as Christmas snow decoration. Are there people who would actually prefer to have these substances as options for their building and maintenance products knowing what we know now. After all, aside from the health issues these substances did provide real benefits for the products they were used for. Ignorance is bliss, but the consequences are real. Granted, incandescent bulbs are not toxic (that I know of) and personally I prefer them over CFLs since I don't like the mercury hazard that the CFLs pose, but shouldn't we try and think of what we can do to preserve this place we call earth and try to reduce our energy consumption? In order for companies to produce a better light bulb they have to have an incentive an in this case if they want to stay in business they will need to innovate due to these government regulations. Yes the LED is the future of lighting and will be expensive, but I believe that prices will go down as soon as there is a viable market and people convert to the new standard.

P.S. What exactly is the problem with hippies? Besides their hygiene that is.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

=VH=
    Favorite VH Song

=VH=
    Last Online

07.05.12 @ 08:05 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

But I don't have glasses...

LED's don't burn out.

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

Another reason to switch to LED's.

LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Good Enough
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by LLFHS View Post
    Another reason to switch to LED's.

Dude, we have a "show us your mugshot" thread stickied above. Use that.

I kid, I kid.

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

Donor

Hey Todd, look.....some asshole has a great idea!

LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Good Enough
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by LLFHS View Post
    Hey Todd, look.....some asshole has a great idea!

Ha!

There has to be some sort of, "Eureka!" joke to go with that photo. Where's Bullwinkle? This requires the work of a pro.

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

Donor

Looks a little like Al, don't it?
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

=VH=
    Favorite VH Song

=VH=
    Last Online

07.05.12 @ 08:05 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Well he used to go out drinking, look'n for a fight...

It's Friday Night... Have a Light Beer...