Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21
  1. #1
    Eruption
    Join Date
    02.13.02
    Age
    48
    Location
    Phoenix
    Posts
    1,489
    Favorite VH Album

    All 7 with Dave
    Favorite VH Song

    The one I'm listening to.
    Last Online

    12.12.17 @ 10:00 AM
    Likes
    602
    Liked 1,956 Times in 443 Posts


    Donor

    Default AC/DCs Angus Young: Id Put Eddie Van Halen in That Category of Being an Innovator

    VHND put up this story today and it has already been picked up by several websites:

    AC/DCs Angus Young contributed to the upcoming hardcover photo book, Eddie Van Halen, by Neil Zlozower.

    The Van Halen News Desk has the exclusive on Angus Youngs quote in the book, here:

    AC/DCs Angus Young: Id Put Eddie Van Halen in That Category of Being an Innovator Like Hendrix

  2. #2
    Good Enough
    Join Date
    01.07.05
    Posts
    1,789
    Last Online

    12.12.17 @ 10:32 PM
    Likes
    73
    Liked 531 Times in 278 Posts

    Default

    Angus was pretty disdainful of Van Halen back in the 80's. There's an interview from the '84 Donnington show on YouTube that goes back and forth between interviews with Dave and Alex and Angus Young that was clearly edited to produce some sort rivalry between the two bands....





    It's also interesting that one of the people who contributed some comments to the book is the late Gary Moore. It's probably one of the last public quotes anyone got from him.

  3. #3
    Emperor of VHLinks.com Brett's Avatar
    Join Date
    09.02.99
    Age
    46
    Location
    Somewhere Near LA
    Posts
    68,696
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Unchained
    Last Online

    12.12.17 @ 11:13 PM
    Likes
    1,263
    Liked 11,549 Times in 4,920 Posts

    Default

    He didn't use to think that. Yeah Angus, VH was a "pop" band and AC/DC was "more rock n' roll." LOL. Nut...and I like AC/DC.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

    JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

  4. #4
    Atomic Punk Little Dreamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.25.99
    Age
    45
    Location
    Pasadena, CA, USA
    Posts
    8,933
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Hear About It Later
    Last Online

    12.12.17 @ 10:26 PM
    Likes
    992
    Liked 1,384 Times in 759 Posts

    Default

    Makes sense.
    Little Dreamer

  5. #5
    Good Enough Ian Sane's Avatar
    Join Date
    11.24.01
    Age
    44
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    2,483
    Favorite VH Album

    Van Halen/Fair Warning
    Last Online

    12.08.17 @ 06:26 PM
    Likes
    78
    Liked 195 Times in 117 Posts

    Default

    I don't think Angus was really taking a swipe at VH, he was probably comparing "Jump" to AC/DC's sound. Probably because "Jump" was huge at the time. Had he compared "Hot For Teacher" instead, well that's a different story...
    And what we have at our fingertips is arguably one of the greatest high tenor voices ever that was in Michael Anthony. In our tiny little corner of the universe, that voice is as identifiable as the high voice in Earth, Wind & Fire, as identifiable as the high voice in the Beach Boys. Van Halen is an indelicate house blend of both thats intentionally. So I would always look forward to that reunion. - David Lee Roth

  6. #6
    Baluchitherium
    Join Date
    09.11.06
    Age
    41
    Location
    Leicestershire, England
    Posts
    4,484
    Favorite VH Album

    VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    They're all great!
    Last Online

    04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    VH were special guests of AC/DC's at that show. The interview was edited in a way to cause friction, nothing more. I was there...That day changed my life.

    T.B. what is the Gary Moore quote?...Gary is number 2 on my all time favourite players/inspiration list...I don't think I stopped crying back in Febuary when he passed away.
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

    And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's


    "The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

    "I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

    "Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

  7. #7
    Sinner's Swing! Dutchie5150's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.20.04
    Age
    46
    Location
    Adelaide, Australia
    Posts
    2,917
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    HAIL, DDL, Dirty Movies
    Last Online

    12.12.17 @ 11:11 PM
    Likes
    1,933
    Liked 1,606 Times in 743 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    That's great what Angus wrote about Ed (the full quote).

    I can't wait to read the whole book...
    If you have nothing nice to say about Eddie Van Halen, you're at the right website. - Me (A few years ago)

    "People take Van Halen much more seriously than we do" - David Lee Roth (1980's)

    "I don't sit on the end of your bed while you're trying to make a living" - David Lee Roth (1988)

    "For some reason people love to complain about everything. The internet has made it easy for people to do that. Shut the fuck up and get a life, or show me how good you can do it."- Edward Van Halen

    "A lot of people ask me which Van Halen singer was better. You can't compare them. It's like asking which guitarist is better. Nobody is better than anybody. Every player is their own person."-Edward Van Halen

    "I do like Eddie Van Halen as a player. He gets it right quite often." -Paul McCartney

  8. #8
    Good Enough
    Join Date
    03.12.04
    Posts
    1,584
    Last Online

    12.11.17 @ 05:18 PM
    Likes
    10
    Liked 214 Times in 92 Posts

    Default

    Love AC/DC, love VH more. Eddie said that AC/DC was the most powerful rock band he had heard or seen, and he's probably right. They are two very different bands. I don't think there is any animosity between the two groups. VH is pop, AC/DC is one dimensional...don't have time for those types of arguments. Both amazing bands...and yes, in terms of innovation, there's Hendrix and EVH, everyone else is a distant second.

  9. #9
    On Fire
    Join Date
    06.20.06
    Age
    60
    Posts
    428
    Favorite VH Album

    Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

    Unchained
    Last Online

    03.24.16 @ 05:02 PM
    Likes
    184
    Liked 57 Times in 32 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vhin04 View Post
    Love AC/DC, love VH more. Eddie said that AC/DC was the most powerful rock band he had heard or seen, and he's probably right. They are two very different bands. I don't think there is any animosity between the two groups. VH is pop, AC/DC is one dimensional...don't have time for those types of arguments. Both amazing bands...and yes, in terms of innovation, there's Hendrix and EVH, everyone else is a distant second.
    Agree 100%. Ed recognizes AC/DC for what they are, and many others do too....they blow your socks off live, really it's that simple, and that powerful. Conversely, Angus recognizes VH, and specifically Ed, for what he/they also bring to the table. Win-win with mutual respect....that is very cool, and the way it should be.

    I think they should do a twin-bill world tour with alternating starts, just so as to not crush any remaining ego issues anyone may have. THAT would be THE tour of the decade, IMO. Toss in someone like maybe Alter Bridge (seeing as they are friends with VH already) for first band out each night, and it would be nothing short of fantastic.

  10. #10
    Good Enough
    Join Date
    01.07.05
    Posts
    1,789
    Last Online

    12.12.17 @ 10:32 PM
    Likes
    73
    Liked 531 Times in 278 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tommywho5150 View Post
    VH were special guests of AC/DC's at that show. The interview was edited in a way to cause friction, nothing more. I was there...That day changed my life.

    T.B. what is the Gary Moore quote?...Gary is number 2 on my all time favourite players/inspiration list...I don't think I stopped crying back in Febuary when he passed away.
    I don't know what the Gary Moore quote is yet. I'm just going by the list of musicians that contributed quotes for the book and Moore was one of them. And yeah, Gary was up in my top favorite guitarists as well. Saw him twice, once opening for Rush in '84 and in '87 when he did a club tour in the US for his Wild Frontier album.

  11. #11
    Atomic Punk Lodewijk's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.15.03
    Age
    47
    Location
    Spring, TX.
    Posts
    13,543
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    She's The Woman, Mean Street
    Last Online

    05.21.17 @ 06:59 AM
    Likes
    6
    Liked 44 Times in 20 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    AC/DC is another one of my favorite bands.....but it sure isn't because of any technical prowess or earth shattering innovations. They do what they do, do it very well, and have stuck to their formula. They just rock balls, and only use 4 chords, the same 4 chords, to get it done. I expect more from VH.
    Lode's Facebook
    @Lode13 on Twitter

  12. #12
    Forum Frontman fudd's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.22.08
    Age
    38
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    14,265
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

    HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

    @
    Likes
    1,316
    Liked 6,310 Times in 3,173 Posts


    Premium Member

    Donor

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oldfan77 View Post
    Agree 100%. Ed recognizes AC/DC for what they are, and many others do too....they blow your socks off live, really it's that simple, and that powerful. Conversely, Angus recognizes VH, and specifically Ed, for what he/they also bring to the table. Win-win with mutual respect....that is very cool, and the way it should be.

    I think they should do a twin-bill world tour with alternating starts, just so as to not crush any remaining ego issues anyone may have. THAT would be THE tour of the decade, IMO. Toss in someone like maybe Alter Bridge (seeing as they are friends with VH already) for first band out each night, and it would be nothing short of fantastic.
    NO AB. Alice in chains. I'd follow that across the globe.

  13. #13
    Good Enough
    Join Date
    08.17.07
    Age
    46
    Location
    Roseville, CA
    Posts
    2,607
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    In A Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

    12.12.17 @ 09:44 PM
    Likes
    254
    Liked 708 Times in 389 Posts

    Default

    I remember Angus always taking little jabs at EVH over the years, saying things like he was all flash and no soul, yada yada. Most guitarists were talking shit back then. Didn't Eddie say something about Page playing like a toddler?

    The internet has killed all of that smack talk. There are 100's of guitarists sitting in their bedrooms making YouTube videos with more chops than the majority of the guitarists we used to call "Guitar Gods." Now all of these old rival "Gods" just want to hug and talk nicey-nice about each other, because they finally accepted that yeah, there will always be someone better in some way or another.

  14. #14
    Atomic Punk Lodewijk's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.15.03
    Age
    47
    Location
    Spring, TX.
    Posts
    13,543
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    She's The Woman, Mean Street
    Last Online

    05.21.17 @ 06:59 AM
    Likes
    6
    Liked 44 Times in 20 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wildman View Post
    The internet has killed all of that smack talk. There are 100's of guitarists sitting in their bedrooms making YouTube videos with more chops than the majority of the guitarists we used to call "Guitar Gods." Now all of these old rival "Gods" just want to hug and talk nicey-nice about each other, because they finally accepted that yeah, there will always be someone better in some way or another.
    If they were THAT good, they wouldn't be wasting their time with Youtube videos from their bedrooms. They probably blaze at playing other people tunes, but the genius is in the writing.

    There's plenty of guys that could play Eruption note for note, and over all, play circles around Ed, but when it comes to writing those tunes, they've got nothing !
    Lode's Facebook
    @Lode13 on Twitter

  15. #15
    Sinner's Swing! Bullwinkle's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.08.07
    Location
    698 Sycamore Road, San Pueblo, CA
    Posts
    2,789
    Favorite VH Album

    Sound Magazine
    Favorite VH Song

    I Think I Love You
    Last Online

    06.07.15 @ 10:30 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lodewijk View Post
    AC/DC is another one of my favorite bands.....but it sure isn't because of any technical prowess or earth shattering innovations. They do what they do, do it very well, and have stuck to their formula. They just rock balls, and only use 4 chords, the same 4 chords, to get it done. I expect more from VH.

    Just for fun some of us guys at the guitar store made as complete a list of AC/DC chords as we could. We wound up with seven: A, B, C, D, E, F#, and G.

    They're almost always fingered the exact same way each time, so if you know how to play the G chord at the beginning of "Hell Ain't a Bad Place To Be," you will do the exact same fingering for "You Shook Me All Night Long" and any other AC/DC tune with a G chord in it. (Which is about 2/3 of them, I'd guess.)







    Don't read this.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Eddie Van Halen and Angus Young
    By gonzo67 in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09.01.09, 10:59 AM
  2. Angus Young is turning in his grave and he is still alive! (The Celine Dion Thread)
    By Eddymon in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Music Only)
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 07.02.08, 07:47 AM
  3. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 02.21.03, 03:38 PM
  4. dick dale...an influence on young eddie vh?
    By theodore templeman in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11.18.02, 09:29 PM
  5. Gary Moore, Angus Young, or Eddie Van Halen '84 Monsters Of Rock
    By Blind Willie Loons in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10.29.02, 08:08 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •