Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 04:14 PM
    Liked 1,471 Times in 1,002 Posts

Premium Member

Default Aliens may destroy humanity to protect other civilisations, says NASA scientists

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/20...ons?CMP=twt_gu

When they see what a mess we've made of our planet, extraterrestrials may be forced to take drastic action. Photograph: PR

It may not rank as the most compelling reason to curb greenhouse gases, but reducing our emissions might just save humanity from a pre-emptive alien attack, scientists claim.

Watching from afar, extraterrestrial beings might view changes in Earth's atmosphere as symptomatic of a civilisation growing out of control Ė and take drastic action to keep us from becoming a more serious threat, the researchers explain.

This highly speculative scenario is one of several described by a Nasa-affiliated scientist and colleagues at Pennsylvania State University that, while considered unlikely, they say could play out were humans and alien life to make contact at some point in the future.

Shawn Domagal-Goldman of Nasa's Planetary Science Division and his colleagues compiled a list of plausible outcomes that could unfold in the aftermath of a close encounter, to help humanity "prepare for actual contact".

In their report, Would Contact with Extraterrestrials Benefit or Harm Humanity? A Scenario Analysis, the researchers divide alien contacts into three broad categories: beneficial, neutral or harmful.

Beneficial encounters ranged from the mere detection of extraterrestrial intelligence (ETI), for example through the interception of alien broadcasts, to contact with cooperative organisms that help us advance our knowledge and solve global problems such as hunger, poverty and disease.

Another beneficial outcome the authors entertain sees humanity triumph over a more powerful alien aggressor, or even being saved by a second group of ETs. "In these scenarios, humanity benefits not only from the major moral victory of having defeated a daunting rival, but also from the opportunity to reverse-engineer ETI technology," the authors write.

Other kinds of close encounter may be less rewarding and leave much of human society feeling indifferent towards alien life. The extraterrestrials may be too different from us to communicate with usefully. They might invite humanity to join the "Galactic Club" only for the entry requirements to be too bureaucratic and tedious for humans to bother with. They could even become a nuisance, like the stranded, prawn-like creatures that are kept in a refugee camp in the 2009 South African movie, District 9, the report explains.

The most unappealing outcomes would arise if extraterrestrials caused harm to humanity, even if by accident. While aliens may arrive to eat, enslave or attack us, the report adds that people might also suffer from being physically crushed or by contracting diseases carried by the visitors. In especially unfortunate incidents, humanity could be wiped out when a more advanced civilisation accidentally unleashes an unfriendly artificial intelligence, or performs a catastrophic physics experiment that renders a portion of the galaxy uninhabitable.

To bolster humanity's chances of survival, the researchers call for caution in sending signals into space, and in particular warn against broadcasting information about our biological make-up, which could be used to manufacture weapons that target humans. Instead, any contact with ETs should be limited to mathematical discourse "until we have a better idea of the type of ETI we are dealing with."

The authors warn that extraterrestrials may be wary of civilisations that expand very rapidly, as these may be prone to destroy other life as they grow, just as humans have pushed species to extinction on Earth. In the most extreme scenario, aliens might choose to destroy humanity to protect other civilisations.

"A preemptive strike would be particularly likely in the early phases of our expansion because a civilisation may become increasingly difficult to destroy as it continues to expand. Humanity may just now be entering the period in which its rapid civilisational expansion could be detected by an ETI because our expansion is changing the composition of the Earth's atmosphere, via greenhouse gas emissions," the report states.

"Green" aliens might object to the environmental damage humans have caused on Earth and wipe us out to save the planet. "These scenarios give us reason to limit our growth and reduce our impact on global ecosystems. It would be particularly important for us to limit our emissions of greenhouse gases, since atmospheric composition can be observed from other planets," the authors write.

Even if we never make contact with extraterrestrials, the report argues that considering the potential scenarios may help to plot the future path of human civilisation, avoid collapse and achieve long-term survival.

ē This article was amended on 19 August 2011. The subhead said the report was "for Nasa". This has been corrected.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 04:07 PM
    Liked 1,383 Times in 758 Posts

I wish my job was speculating about alien life and getting paid for it. Damn!
    Little Dreamer

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

When they see what a mess we've made of our planet, extraterrestrials may be forced to take drastic action.
    They may have a point, too.
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 09:35 PM
    Liked 11,541 Times in 4,916 Posts

Good tell them to hurry up.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Too Many!
    Last Online

12.04.14 @ 11:23 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Do you think they'll at least leave the Beautiful Girls thread is we ask nicely?
    Love should NOT be work, it should be as easy as breathing Dave's Dreidel

My god, our government has less secrets than Van Halen. Emperor Brett

I'm a Democrat and an Atheist, but I've yet to receive my ticket to Hell. Is this something I call Live Nation about or what? JakeK21

I feel it takes far more energy to hate than love. Well outside of Obamacare, How Many Say I and Heineken beer. ziggysmalls

Favorite VH Album

5150, OU812, Balance, F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

Dont have one
    Last Online

08.28.16 @ 11:47 PM
    Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts

In all honesty...I wouldnt blame the aliens. They would probly be doing us a favor lol
    Facebook http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=504401115
    YouTube http://www.youtube.com/user/jedimasterkyle

BOISE STATE BRONCOS! - They're awesome. Deal with it!

11/16/04 - VAN HALEN in Boise, Idaho. Changed my life forever

8/8/06 - Sammy Hagar and the Wabos w/Michael Anthony in Boise, Idaho. Sam and Mike still kick ass

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH, WACF, FW, 5150, OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams/Unchained/InASR/5150
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 04:30 AM
    Liked 298 Times in 161 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Little Dreamer View Post
    I wish my job was speculating about alien life and getting paid for it. Damn!
    Indeed.

"The shit I read on this site." -- Dave's Dreidel (Nov 6th, 2013)

"Don't ever confuse talent with fame." -- Bob Lefsetz

"There's very little greatness in this world, but in the crucible of quality there's a special corner reserved for Van Halen." -- Bob Lefsetz

Favorite VH Album

VH1
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 05:15 PM
    Liked 41 Times in 12 Posts

I wonder with all of their advanced technologies they could tell ups when the VH album will be released?
    Finally trying to pick up guitar after too many years.
    Chickenfoot Rocks.
    .|
    /|\

Favorite VH Album

Sound Magazine
    Favorite VH Song

I Think I Love You
    Last Online

06.07.15 @ 10:30 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

"Zorak, have you completed your survey of the star system?"

"Yes, Aknot. Everything looks okay, except for the third planet from the sun."

"What's wrong with it."

"Nothing, really. It's a beautiful little place, inhabited by intelligent whales. We talked for a while and they're very nice. The trouble is, about 25% of it, everything not covered by water, has become overrun with psychotic primates. They're starting to get out of control. Really making a mess of the place."

"Hmmm...you think we should get rid of them?"

"Yes. The whales asked us to."

"Okay. A level five pulse should do it. Ready?"

"Ready...3...2...1..."

"Okay. What's next?"

Don't read this.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 06:47 AM
    Liked 4,787 Times in 2,441 Posts

Premium Member

I can't see that happening. Honestly its like us destroying an ant colony cause they are killing aphids. You think we care as long as its not bothering us?

You only remove pests if they are messing around with you. I think Al came up with this since ManBear Pig was found to be a hoax.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

So this is love?
    Last Online

01.01.13 @ 04:06 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I am absolutely certain that alien life forms look at us as the most self centered, arrogant, selfish, narcissistic barbarians in the universe. Collectively, we donít get it and clearly never will.
    "It doesn't mean that much to me to mean that much to you..." -Neil Young

"The sun's not yellow, it's chicken." -Bob Dylan

"If you go out and buy a Van Halen record and put it in your collection, it'll melt your other records." -David Lee Roth, 1981.

Guy of Gisborne: Why a spoon, cousin? Why not an axe?
    Sheriff of Nottingham: Because it's DULL, you twit!!! It'll HURT MORE!!!

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Personally I tink the only time that scenario would be realistic is if we started to colonise other planets outside our solar system and began to spread like some kind of plague. Until then and until we meet some real live little green men, I think we're safe....Exept from ourselves.
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

=VH=
    Favorite VH Song

=VH=
    Last Online

07.05.12 @ 08:05 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Steppin' into our universe...

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

=VH=