Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default I'm looking for a good acoustic guitar...

Hey guys, I've never actually owned a playable acoustic guitar.... and I've always built most of my electrics. Obviously, I don't have the skills or tools to build acoustics, so I'm in the market for a very good, if not great acoustic guitar -- but I can't spend a ton on it.

I've recently started doing a lot more session songwriting, and the nature of the music is such that I have to play more and more acoustic. I'd really like a decent acoustic to have around the studio -- one that I can write on, but also sounds good enough to mic up and record with.

Above all, I think playability is the main thing I'm looking for. That's a lot of the reason why I've never gotten into much acoustic playing before -- I can't stand how much worse most of them play then electrics. So I'd really like an acoustic that has pretty low action and easy access to the upper frets. Preferably Fender scale or close to it. Something comfortable.

After that, I'd like something that sounds good acoustically. I'd really like to be able to mic up the acoustic for recording purposes. I'm not super worried about not spending a couple grand just for a little more tone, because I always seem to do a ton of post processing on acoustic anyway, and I'd rather save the cash. I don't really care if it has an onboard piezo/electronics onboard, but I'm sure that would be a huge bonus.

So I'm wondering what brands and models of acoustic guitar you guys have had good luck with. Any suggestions? I'm looking for a massive bang-for-your-buck kinda thing here.... I'd really like to keep it under $500 if possible....

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by mrjstudios View Post
    Hey guys, I've never actually owned a playable acoustic guitar.... and I've always built most of my electrics. Obviously, I don't have the skills or tools to build acoustics, so I'm in the market for a very good, if not great acoustic guitar -- but I can't spend a ton on it.

I've recently started doing a lot more session songwriting, and the nature of the music is such that I have to play more and more acoustic. I'd really like a decent acoustic to have around the studio -- one that I can write on, but also sounds good enough to mic up and record with.

Above all, I think playability is the main thing I'm looking for. That's a lot of the reason why I've never gotten into much acoustic playing before -- I can't stand how much worse most of them play then electrics. So I'd really like an acoustic that has pretty low action and easy access to the upper frets. Preferably Fender scale or close to it. Something comfortable.

After that, I'd like something that sounds good acoustically. I'd really like to be able to mic up the acoustic for recording purposes. I'm not super worried about not spending a couple grand just for a little more tone, because I always seem to do a ton of post processing on acoustic anyway, and I'd rather save the cash. I don't really care if it has an onboard piezo/electronics onboard, but I'm sure that would be a huge bonus.

So I'm wondering what brands and models of acoustic guitar you guys have had good luck with. Any suggestions? I'm looking for a massive bang-for-your-buck kinda thing here.... I'd really like to keep it under $500 if possible....
    Have a look at the Faith range of acoustics. I've played a few and I'm really impressed by them. Nice guitars with some nice features and easy on the wallet.

http://www.faithguitars.com/
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Check out anything from the Godin brand (Godin, Seagull, Art & Lutherie).

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Cool. The search to try a bunch begins....!

Favorite VH Album

VH I
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 04:50 AM
    Liked 595 Times in 365 Posts

Donor

Not sure you'll find a Martin in that range, but that's my choice.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained & Romeo Delight
    Last Online

04.07.16 @ 01:19 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey,
    I've been pretty happy with my Fender T bucket. Give it a look. Sound pretty good for the price and look awesome too.
    Eddie must think I'm a BOZO to want to drop THAT much on one of his new Charvel Guitars!

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Aint Talkin Bout Love
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 02:18 PM
    Liked 461 Times in 200 Posts

Mrjstudios,

I hear you bro. I also recently just picked up an acoustic guitar. I have been building electric guitars for the past 16 years and I never got much into acoustics because they play harder for me to play the music I have always liked and I have stuck with electrics. However a few months ago I really wanted to get an acoustic but wanted one that sort of played like and electric and I remember my buddies old Kramer ferrington. A lot of people dont like the Kramer ferringtons but I grabbed one off of eBay for 250 and I LOVE IT!!!! It plays easy (because they have electric guitar bolt on necks). They are not the most powerful sounding acoustic guitars but they certainly play pretty easy and do the trick for me. They are also acoustic electrics too so you can plug em in. Matter a fact, I am on vacation with my family right now at the beach and out of all the guitars I could have brought.... Kramer EVH's, Wolfs, EBMMs, Charvels etc, I brought the Ferrington and I have been jamming on it here and there.

You can get them real cheap, they play like an electric and they are lightweight and real portable. I absolutely love mine. The action is low too.

my 2 cents,

Rob
    Last edited by 5150rob; 08.22.11 at 06:05 AM.

Favorite VH Album

Complete Zero
    Favorite VH Song

Lets Get Rockin
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 02:06 PM
    Liked 1,863 Times in 732 Posts

Donor

I bought this one for my son last year. He really likes it and it sounds nice whether plugged in a good amp or just sitting around in the living room. Great guitar for the price.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-V...92-i1150613.gc
    I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'll have to check out that Fender... they even make one in Trans Black!

I think I'll just go to the local Guitall Mart and try a bunch of the "lower end" models -- hopefully they'll have a lot of them listed above. Maybe I can find a particularly good one and then haggle the price down some.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

the one Ed plays guitar on
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 03:08 PM
    Liked 784 Times in 422 Posts

I can't speak for the build quality, and it would be a sight-unseen purchase, but there is THIS as today's "stupid deal" over at Musician's Friend:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/stupid/

However...

I have been jonesin' for one of these for the last year or so:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Martin-D...74-i1148384.gc

Keep an eye out for one of GC's big seasonal sales events, and that price gets down closer to the $500 you mentioned above.

I play pretty much ZERO acoustic. But, once I can justify spending that kind of money for something I'll RARELY use (at best), it'll be coming home with me.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 1,374 Times in 803 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AT View Post
    Check out anything from the Godin brand (Godin, Seagull, Art & Lutherie).
    Excellent choices.
    I would also suggest Larrivee Guitars. They are a Canadian company who have ghost built for manufacturers for years.
    Their acoustics are fantastic, and have a full range of price points. There is no such thing as a bad Larrivee.

If you'd rather not buy brand new, then check out some 70's Yamahas on CL or Ebay. They are great guitars and many can be had for a decent price. A friend of mine owned a bunch of 70's Yamies' Great action, great resonance with excellent projection. Compared to my old Fender which seemed to get worse with age, those Yamaha's just seemed to get better and better.
    Acoustic brands I'm told you should avoid nowadays.
    Ovation
    Denver
    Fender
    Taylor..... Yes Taylor. This surprised me too. They have been going through quite a spell of manufacturing deficiencies.
    Seen numerous videos and reviews showing top bracing breaking loose causing the guitar to rattle, or the top to sag/lift.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

Had to run...sorry. I was gonna say that I'm sure a Taylor is most likely not on your list, but just mentioned it in case you come across of of the "good deals" for Taylor's online. A guitar tech friend I have on YT has seen a number of these come his way. Seems like the 2006 models and up. Hopefully they've resolved these issues. To big a name to succumb to such lack of care. You know.....like Gibson these days.

Eruption
    Last Online

06.30.17 @ 01:26 AM
    Liked 131 Times in 74 Posts

another option is the lower end Martins. i can't recall the series label, but they are affordable and surprisingly great sounding/playing guitars, with extremely comfortable necks. i bought one a few years ago as a present for a beginner and ended up keeping it. love it, and have recorded many things with it.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'll have to check out the Larrivee's... I've heard of them but haven't really played any. Sounds like one of those lesser-known great finds. I actually have a 1970's Yamaha classical guitar (nylon strings). It's really cool, but not really what I need recording wise. I also have a 1960's Harmony Sovereign model H1260, which I believe is the same model guitar that Page played on the intro to Stairway... but unfortunately it has some major issues that make it almost impossible to play, and I'd rather not spend the cash to fix it, since it could end up costing way more than a new acoustic. If anyone here fixes acoustics or wants to mess around with it (it would be an AMAZING guitar if fixed up) I'd sell it really cheap.

Taylor is probably way above my price point, and if they are becoming the Gibson of acoustic guitars, I'm not going anywhere near them regardless of how cheap I could get one for.

I'm definitely liking some of the lower-model Martins.... I've played a few and liked them quite a bit. I'll see what guitar center has in that kind of range, and there's also a local guitar shop that is downsizing so maybe I could get a better Martin for less $$$.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

I'll have to check out the Larrivee's... I've heard of them but haven't really played any. Sounds like one of those lesser-known great finds. I actually have a 1970's Yamaha classical guitar (nylon strings). It's really cool, but not really what I need recording wise. I also have a 1960's Harmony Sovereign model H1260, which I believe is the same model guitar that Page played on the intro to Stairway... but unfortunately it has some major issues that make it almost impossible to play, and I'd rather not spend the cash to fix it, since it could end up costing way more than a new acoustic. If anyone here fixes acoustics or wants to mess around with it (it would be an AMAZING guitar if fixed up) I'd sell it really cheap.

Taylor is probably way above my price point, and if they are becoming the Gibson of acoustic guitars, I'm not going anywhere near them regardless of how cheap I could get one for.

I'm definitely liking some of the lower-model Martins.... I've played a few and liked them quite a bit. I'll see what guitar center has in that kind of range, and there's also a local guitar shop that is downsizing so maybe I could get a better Martin for less $$$.
    LOL! Well....lesser known in certain circles. They have a tremendous reputation throughout Canada using only the highest quality woods, finishes and components. They used too (and probably still do) build killer electrics. They actually did a lot of work with Neil Schon. I remember going to his plant one day, and seeing all these bodies marked "Schon". Asked if they were for who I thought they were, and they said yep!
    I actually tried to get on Jean Larrivee's team years ago. Great man...but the waiting list to get working from him was very long. Think he's moved manufacturing out of Vancouver now, but he still has an office here not 5 blocks from my work.
    At any rate...The guitars sound great. A lot of people compare their tone and playability to guitars many times their price.
    Last edited by we die young; 08.23.11 at 02:30 PM.