Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Default ACLU Lawsuit Moves to Keep Sex Offenders in House Near Day Care Center

The Delaware American Civil Liberties Union has filed court papers to stop sex offenders from being evicted from a safe house that is located near a new day care center.

The ACLU, along with an attorney representing the safe house and three sex offenders, has asked a judge to issue a temporary restraining order to prevent the city from evicting the residents.

“The state has asked the residents to leave, and if they don’t leave they will be arrested,” attorney Daniel Wolcott, Jr. told Fox News Radio.

Wolcott is representing the owner of the safe house and three sex offenders.

“The safe house has been there for a number of years and has been accepting registered sex offenders who are prohibited from living within 500 feet of a school,” he said.

Wolcott said there are two safe houses in question. One house was operating before the day care center opened for business. The other one was not. However, he said police said any sex offenders living at both houses would have to leave or face arrest.

Kathleen MacRae, the executive director of the Delaware ACLU, told The News Journal that the pending eviction of the sex offenders seems “very unfair and very rushed by the city.”

She pointed out that the ACLU has questions over the actual distance between the homes and the day care center. The ACLU also questioned whether a day care center qualifies as a “school” under state law.

The day care center reportedly began operating less than 500 feet from both homes in September.

“It is already difficult for men who have been convicted of a sex offense to find a place to live,” she told the newspaper. “State law should not force these men to move, or prevent facilities like the safe house from housing them, every time a private citizen decides to open a day care center.”

A city spokesman released the following statement to Fox News Radio:

“The City appreciates the predicament faced by the residents of the Harriet Tubman Safe House, but we are following the advice of the Attorney General’s Office and cannot comment further due to the pending court action.”

Delaware Attorney General Bo Biden’s office said they will not comment on the matter.

The issue has stirred debate in Wilmington. The News Journal released an editorial that called the sex offender ban unfairly punitive.

“As offensive as the tenants' crimes are, they paid their debt to society and earned the right to purse law-abiding livelihoods,” the editorial read.

“Their home predates the day care center by eight years. This is not to dismiss the fact that even with treatment a high percentage of sex offenders -- pedophiles particularly -- will recommit their crimes. But a carte blanche banishing of all sex offenders to be on the run every time they have found legally acceptable housing is vindictive, reactionary and no solution.”
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

Complete Zero
    Favorite VH Song

Lets Get Rockin
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 03:10 AM
    Liked 1,861 Times in 730 Posts

Donor

Not that I will ever side with the ACLU but it sounds like pretty poor planning on behalf of the daycare center owners for opening up a daycare center so close to a halfway house that houses sex offenders. Sounds to me like it would be in the best interest of the daycare owner to relocate. Sure, they can wait for the litigation to take it's course but in the mean time they are putting the kids at risk.
    I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass.

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

“It is already difficult for men who have been convicted of a sex offense to find a place to live,” she told the newspaper. “State law should not force these men to move, or prevent facilities like the safe house from housing them, every time a private citizen decides to open a day care center.”
    Yeah....to hell with them little kids. The perverts were here first.

One one hand, I agree with you Sickman that the preschool owners didn't do enough research before moving ahead.

One the other hand, these child-molesting fuckwads deserve nothing IMO. No mercy, no forgiveness, and certainly no roof above their head unless it's being held up by a cell block.
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Favorite VH Album

Complete Zero
    Favorite VH Song

Lets Get Rockin
    Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by LLFHS View Post
    Yeah....to hell with them little kids. The perverts were here first.

One one hand, I agree with you Sickman that the preschool owners didn't do enough research before moving ahead.

One the other hand, these child-molesting fuckwads deserve nothing IMO. No mercy, no forgiveness, and certainly no roof above their head unless it's being held up by a cell block.
    I agree.

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 02:58 PM
    Liked 3,115 Times in 1,826 Posts

Premium Member

The problem I have with laws like these are the unintended consequences. For example, where I live is very spread out with about 350,000 people. One of the only areas in southern California where sex offenders/molesters can go without violating laws like this is my area. So we have gotten inundated with them.

I also dislike the fact that there are countless situations where an 18 year old senior sleeps with his 15 year old sophomore girlfriend and ends up a sex offender. At his parents house, he's in line with the law while inside, but if he wants to shoot baskets in the front yard, an officer could cite him for a violation.

I'm going to take a side here that no one will. I feel like you have either served your time or you haven't. I dislike these lifetime limitations on sex offenders--ankle bracelets, proximity laws. I realize that probation does something similar, but it eventually ends. These people serve their time. At the end, they're either ready to go back into society or they're not. If they're not, then lock them up. If they are, then leave them alone.

I'm not defending people who molest children, but I cannot fathom what it must be like to be attracted to children in the same way that I am attracted to beautiful women. It must be a torturous existence for many of them that know how wrong it is. Again, I'm not defending them, it's disgusting what happens to the victims.

Again, all I am saying is that laws like these tend to have unintended consequences, including what I mentioned above but also that it tends to group these guys together and concentrate them in an area. I think that if, as a society, we think these people are too dangerous, then we shouldn't give them semi-freedom for the rest of their lives. It's all or nothing.

I think a better system might be a two strike system. Do it once, serve your time, find a way to cope, and we'll offer therapy in prison to help. Do it again and you're locked up forever. Of course, we'd have to get all the drug offenders out of prison in order to do it.

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 03:03 PM
    Liked 6,692 Times in 3,712 Posts

if these people are likely to reoffend then i think we'd be better off just not releasing them as opposed to restricting the places they can live.

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 06:15 PM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by lovemachine97(Version 2) View Post

I'm going to take a side here that no one will. I feel like you have either served your time or you haven't. I dislike these lifetime limitations on sex offenders--ankle bracelets, proximity laws. I realize that probation does something similar, but it eventually ends. These people serve their time. At the end, they're either ready to go back into society or they're not. If they're not, then lock them up. If they are, then leave them alone.
    Wrong, I'm on the same side actually.
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Down in Flames
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 02:13 AM
    Liked 200 Times in 83 Posts

"Sex offender" doesn't automatically mean "child molester", or even "rapist". Presuppositions should go right out the window, which leaves you with just "what is fair here?".

One halfway house has been there for eight years? That seems like a pretty unreasonable expectation for them to move and re-establish somewhere else. (Good luck!) Whoever opened a day care nearby, that's their fault for not doing their due diligence, if not the licensing authority for not keeping track of who is where.

Sounds like people that buy a house near an airport or railroad and then want to sue because of the noise.
    Posted from yo' mama's house.

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 02:58 PM
    Liked 3,115 Times in 1,826 Posts

Premium Member

I'll tell ya what, it's almost refreshing to have reasonable people to talk to about sex offenders. I know that sounds ludicrous, but I have a lot of right-wing friends who would just as easily burn any sex offender alive as they would lock them up.

I know that sounds like a weird statement, but I think people often forget where we live.

Favorite VH Album

Complete Zero
    Favorite VH Song

Lets Get Rockin
    Last Online

Donor

I know of 3 people that are/were considered sex offenders and it had nothing to do with forcible rape or child molestation. 2 of them it was a 16 year old boy who had sex with his 15 year old girlfriend and the other was a 14 yo boy who spanked another 14 yo girl on the ass on the school bus. All were arrested for sexual assault in various degrees. None of them are rapists or child molesters, yet they went to jail and had to register as such and even live in halfway houses like this once released.