Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Default Former wrestler, 63, takes down robber, 41...

Fred Kemp and his wife had just finished dinner Thursday night. As they walked out of the restaurant, a man came out of the darkness, demanding money.

But this robber picked the wrong guy. Turns out 63-year-old Fred Kemp, is a former wrestler.

He and his wife, Julie, had just eaten at Hurricane Alley, in the 500 block of East Ocean Avenue. It was about 9:15 p.m., and they were getting into their car, which was parked nearby on the street.

Seated on the passenger's side, Kemp was closing the door of his 2011 Volkswagen Jetta when the robber, identified as Richard Nowling, 41, stuck a gun in his face.

Thinking of his wife's safety, the 5-foot-7 Kemp instinctively pushed the gun away. But the robber started to pistol whip Kemp in the head, police said.

"He started to hit me, so I reacted from there," a bruised but smiling Kemp said Friday. "I got him out into the street and held his arm. I foot-sweeped him down and I was trying to get a hold of the gun. He banged me up a little bit but my main concern was the gun."

Pulling out more wrestling moves, Kemp maneuvered the suspect into a rear naked choke hold, or "sleeper hold," a popular submission technique in mixed martial arts.

When Nowling's oxygen began to run out, and he became weak, Julie Kemp, 53, grabbed the weapon —it turned out to be an authentic-looking pellet gun — and held it pointed it at him until police arrived, investigators said.

Fred Kemp showed the bad guy no mercy.

"He asked me to let him go when I had him down," Kemp said. "I said, 'No, I'm not going to do that.'"

The police report describes Kemp's response this way: the "victim grabbed the gun and wrestled [Nowling] to the ground, disarming him, and held him down until police arrival."

Nowling, was arrested and charged with armed robbery and aggravated battery. His criminal history includes drug, theft and burglary charges, records show.

Kemp, a muscular 150 pounds, is a business consultant who lives west of Boynton Beach and started wrestling in high school. The sport won him a scholarship to Hofstra University in Long Island, N.Y.

He coaches wrestling for the New York State Junior Olympic team and is a volunteer assistant wrestling coach at American University in Washington, D.C.

The Kemps will celebrate their 12th anniversary next month.

"In retrospect," he said, "it's not a wise move, but it was my reflexes and I'm fairly comfortable in being able to handle myself. So I did what came natural.

"I'm happy that no one got hurt and a guy like that is off the street," he said.

Joe DeMeo, head coach of the New York State Junior Olympic team, said Kemp's heroics didn't surprise him at bit.

"Fred Kemp's the last guy I would rob," DeMeo said. "He'll go down fighting. … He does have a lot of physical ability. He's a no-nonsense, get-the-job-done kind of guy."

---------------------------------------

A robber messed with the wrong man in Florida on Thursday night. 63-year-old, 5-foot-7 Fred Kemp used a foot sweep and a rear naked choke to disarm a robber who pointed a gun at Kemp and his wife.

The couple was getting into their car in Boynton Beach when a man came out of the darkness and approached them with what turned out to be a pellet gun. Wanting to keep his wife safe, Kemp returned to the skills that he learned as a wrestler for Hofstra University.

"He started to hit me, so I reacted from there," a bruised but smiling Kemp said Friday. "I got him out into the street and held his arm. I foot-sweeped him down and I was trying to get a hold of the gun. He banged me up a little bit but my main concern was the gun."

Kemp's quick thinking led him to apply a rear-naked choke, then when the robber was weakened, he took the gun from him. The police report mentioned that Kemp held the robber down until the police arrived.

"He asked me to let him go when I had him down," Kemp said. "I said, 'No, I'm not going to do that.'"

Fighters who started as wrestlers often go back to rely on their wrestling skills when they get in trouble in a fight. Clearly, that instinct sticks with them, because Kemp was smart enough to rely on his sport when danger found him. Joe DeMeo, a friend of Kemp's through wrestling, was not surprised to hear that Kemp took out the criminal.

"Fred Kemp's the last guy I would rob," DeMeo said. "He'll go down fighting. … He does have a lot of physical ability. He's a no-nonsense, get-the-job-done kind of guy."

Remember that the next time you approach a diminutive 63-year-old. It's probably not a good idea to mess with him.
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:50 AM
    Liked 1,482 Times in 904 Posts

Nice job by the 63 year old!

Maybe he will end up on RAW or Smackdown.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Good Enough
    Last Online

05.15.16 @ 10:48 PM
    Liked 164 Times in 76 Posts

Thanks, Voivod. I needed to see a story like that today. Chalk one up for the good guys.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:43 PM
    Liked 2,238 Times in 1,356 Posts

"rear naked choke hold" hehehehehhehheheheheh

survivor of the Bowling Green Massacre 9-3-2016 BGSU 10 OSU 77

She was warned. She was given an explanation. Nevertheless, she persisted.

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 05:57 AM
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts

Donor

Problem is, now the robber will probably sue him for damages and win. Thank you f****d up legal system.
    "What we are dealing with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law" - Jackie Gleason, Smokey and the Bandit

www.geocaching.com - The site where you are the search engine.