Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Default 'Personification of evil'; Unjust judge will have 28 years to mull actions

SCRANTON, Pa. — A longtime judge has been ordered to spend nearly three decades in prison for his role in a massive juvenile justice bribery scandal that prompted the state's high court to toss thousands of convictions.

Former Luzerne County Judge Mark Ciavarella Jr. was sentenced Thursday to 28 years in federal prison for taking $1 million in bribes from the builder of a pair of juvenile detention centers in a case that became known as "kids-for-cash."

The Pennsylvania Supreme Court tossed about 4,000 convictions issued by Ciavarella between 2003 and 2008, saying he violated the constitutional rights of the juveniles, including the right to legal counsel and the right to intelligently enter a plea.

Ciavarella, 61, was tried and convicted of racketeering charges earlier this year. His attorneys had asked for a "reasonable" sentence in court papers, saying, in effect, that he's already been punished enough.

"The media attention to this matter has exceeded coverage given to many and almost all capital murders, and despite protestation, he will forever be unjustly branded as the 'Kids for Cash' judge," their sentencing memo said.

Federal prosecutors accused Ciavarella and a second judge, Michael Conahan, of taking more than $2 million in bribes from the builder of the PA Child Care and Western PA Child Care detention centers and extorting hundreds of thousands of dollars from the facilities' co-owner.

Ciavarella, known for his harsh and autocratic courtroom demeanor, filled the beds of the private lockups with children as young as 10, many of them first-time offenders convicted of petty theft and other minor crimes.

The judge remained defiant after his arrest, insisting the payments were legal and denying he incarcerated youths for money.

The jury returned a mixed verdict following a February trial, convicting him of 12 counts, including racketeering and conspiracy, and acquitting him of 27 counts, including extortion. The guilty verdicts related to a payment of $997,600 from the builder.

Conahan, meanwhile, pleaded guilty last year and awaits sentencing.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/CRIME/08/14/....html?iref=NS1

'Kids for cash' judge in Phila. jail
    August 14, 2011
    |
    By Michael R. Sisak, McClatchy Newspapers

Former judge Mark A. Ciavarella Jr. could remain locked away at a Philadelphia detention facility for a week or more before he is transferred to a permanent home in the federal prison system, a spokesman for the Bureau of Prisons said.

Federal authorities delivered Ciavarella, 61, to the Center City facility Thursday after Senior U.S. District Judge Edwin M. Kosik sentenced him to 28 years on charges stemming from a scheme to send juveniles to a for-profit detention center in exchange for a share of $2.8 million.

Ciavarella will remain at the facility, which is used to house pretrial and recently convicted inmates, until the bureau's Designation and Sentence Computation Center in Grand Prairie, Texas, completes an evaluation of his case and transfers him to an appropriate prison, spokesman Ed Ross said Friday.

The bureau will try to place Ciavarella within a 500-mile radius of Wilkes-Barre to assist "in maintaining the family bond," but security and overcrowding concerns could force a transfer to a facility farther away, Ross said.

Ciavarella surrendered to begin serving his prison sentence immediately Thursday. Authorities transported him from the federal courthouse in Scranton to Philadelphia in a black van with tinted windows. With good behavior, he could be released in a little less than 24 years, Ross said. He would be 85.
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Hang 'Em High
    Favorite VH Album

You name it
    Favorite VH Song

See above
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 08:06 AM
    Liked 226 Times in 162 Posts

wow.....

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Currently: 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Currently: Panama
    Last Online

05.30.17 @ 09:20 PM
    Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts

Donor

I work in the justice system and see this as "just" punishment. If you are in a position of power and said power is abused, the punishment should MORE than fit the crime. It's one thing to be dirtball meth head on the street stabbing people but another to be trusted to oversee the justice system and all of its rulings while doing bad deeds under the table. Kudos to Pennsylvania.
    Thunder Mountain Brewing Company
    Owner and Brewmaster

Bottled: 2010 Imperial Bastard Stout (9.5% ABV)
    Bottled: 2011 Thunder Mountain Pale Ale (5.5% ABV)
    Fermenting: 2011 Thunder Mountain Irrish Ale (4.9% ABV)

"I'm just a normal jerk who happens to make music. As long as my brain and fingers work, I'm cool." -Eddie Van Halen, 1996

Last Online

10.23.15 @ 04:49 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I know lawyers have to ask but it kills me to read that they asked for a reasonable sentence because he has been punished enough. How many kid's lives were ruined because this a@@hole put them in detention for something as minor as petty theft. These kids are truly the ones we should concentrate on getting on the right path, not throwing the book at them.
    Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Good Enough
    Last Online

05.15.16 @ 10:48 PM
    Liked 164 Times in 76 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by loveevhsince79 View Post
    I know lawyers have to ask but it kills me to read that they asked for a reasonable sentence because he has been punished enough. How many kid's lives were ruined because this a@@hole put them in detention for something as minor as petty theft. These kids are truly the ones we should concentrate on getting on the right path, not throwing the book at them.
    My thoughts exactly. In fact, I wouldn't mind seeing the court order the judges to set up a mandatory scholarship fund to benefit every kid they put in the detention centers.