Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Atomic Punk
    Join Date
    01.29.02
    Age
    49
    Location
    somewhere over the rainbow
    Posts
    22,946
    Last Online

    12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Likes
    842
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

    Default 30,000 Michigan College Students Dumped From Food Stamps Program, Saves $75M

    About 30,000 college students are getting a real-world lesson in economics after cash-hungry Michigan kicked them off of food stamps to save roughly $75 million per year.

    Under the new rules, only single moms and students who work 20 hours a week may be able to keep their benefits,

    College students generally aren't eligible for federal food assistance but nearly all of them in Michigan had qualified for the state's program under an exception for those participating in an employment and training program whose criteria included attending college, the Detroit News reported.

    Michigan's program provides Bridge cards, which can be swiped like debit cards at grocery stores. But earlier this year as part of a crackdown on welfare fraud, abuse and waste, the state announced that starting in April students would have to show "true need" to keep collecting food stamps.

    As the new school year starts, Michigan Department of Human Services Director Maura Corrigan told The Detroit News on Monday that the 30,000 students who were booted out of the program just were about twice as many as officials expected. She said the change is part of an effort to reform the state's welfare program.

    "Maybe (students) could get a part-time job -- that's what I did," said Corrigan, a former justice of the Michigan Supreme Court, was quoted saying by the newspaper.

    "We want to encourage people to be self-sufficient, not to be dependent on the government," she continued.

    Michigan's monthly food assistance is based on income, household size and other criteria. But Corrigan, who was appointed by Republican Gov. Rick Snyder in January, instructed administrators to begin reviewing applicants' assets as well, The Detroit News reported.

    The change follows a public outcry over revelations that an Auburn man remained qualified and continued collecting food stamps after he won $2 million in the state lottery TV show "Make Me Rich" last year.

    Corrigan has credited state Rep. David Agema with highlighting the issue.

    "College students who do not really need assistance have been allowed to take advantage for far too long," Agema said in a statement at the time of the state’s announcement. "Prevent Bridge card abuse will make sure assistance only goes to those who truly need help. This action will put a stop to this waste of taxpayer money."

    But some students say the change isn't fair.

    "College students have so much debt as it is in the United States. It's hard for them to be able to pay all their bills,” Wayne State University student Erik Boyes told MyFoxDetroit.

    "That could potentially be a negative impact for students," added Wayne State student Mohammed Almihtar. "Maybe they're going to have a hard time enrolling in school. That's going to push the education back, and that's not a wise way to do that."
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

  2. #2
    Atomic Punk
    Join Date
    01.29.02
    Age
    49
    Location
    somewhere over the rainbow
    Posts
    22,946
    Last Online

    12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Likes
    842
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

    Default

    Can I get SNAP/Food Stamps if I am in college?

    College is stressful and expensive. Don’t let food be another financial worry. The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program or “SNAP” (formerly called Food Stamps) helps many low income people buy food. More low income college students also qualify.


    How can I be eligible if I am in college?
    If you are in college more than half-time, you may qualify for SNAP/Food Stamps if you meet any one of the conditions below:.

    You receive (any amount of ) federal or state work-study monies,
    You work for pay for 20 hours or more per week,
    You care for a child under the age of 12 (further rules apply) or you get TAFDC,
    You participate in a SNAP or other 'employment and training program',
    You attend a Mass. community college and are enrolled in a credit degree or certificate program that will lead to a job or will enhance your employability,
    You are age 50 or older, or you are under age 18, or
    You have a temporary or permanent physical and/or mental impairment.
    What proofs do I need to show if I get work study or if I attend a career-based community college program?
    To prove you receive work study, give DTA a copy of your financial aid statement or any other proof of federal or state funded work study. You qualify as a work study recipient whether you attend a public or a private college.

    To prove you are enrolled in a career or technical education program at a community college, DTA has a one-page form that you can bring to the college to get signed. Or you can submit a letter from the college that states you are enrolled and that your degree or certificate program will lead to employment. Bring proof of your enrollment too.

    How much in SNAP/Food Stamps benefits will I receive?
    The monthly SNAP benefit amount is calculated based on your countable income and your expenses. The maximum for one person (living along, very little income) is $200/month.

    Countable income includes wages from a job or direct and regular money from your parents, unemployment insurance or other source. However, income from a federal work-study program is not counted as income. Most educational monies are not counted if from federal funds, or if used to cover educational expenses (tuition, fees, books and supplies)

    Deductible expenses include shelter, such as rent & utilities, child care expenses so you can go to school or to work, and child support you pay for a child outside the home.

    Can I get SNAP/Food Stamps if I live with roommates?
    If you buy & prepare more than half of your meals separately from your roommates, you can apply for SNAP for yourself separate from those you share housing with.

    If you buy & prepare most of your meals together, you must apply for SNAP with your roommates; and they must also meet the other program requirements and report their income.

    Can I get SNAP/Food Stamps if I still live with my parents?
    If you are 22 or older, and if you buy and prepare more than half your meals separately from your parents, you can still apply for benefits for yourself.

    If you are 18-22, federal rules do not allow you to get food stamps separately from your parents, even if you barely share meals with them. If you meet one of the rules in How can I be eligible if I am in college?, you & your parents must apply for benefits together and report all family income.

    Can I get SNAP/Food Stamps if I live in a dorm?
    If you live on-campus and get more than half your meals from a meal plan, you don’t qualify for SNAP/ food stamp benefits.

    http://www.masslegalhelp.org/income-...stamps/college
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

  3. #3
    Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    06.05.03
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    13,962
    Last Online

    12.11.17 @ 04:22 PM
    Likes
    812
    Liked 3,107 Times in 1,819 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by voivod View Post
    About 30,000 college students are getting a real-world lesson in economics after cash-hungry Michigan kicked them off of food stamps to save roughly $75 million per year.

    Under the new rules, only single moms and students who work 20 hours a week may be able to keep their benefits,

    College students generally aren't eligible for federal food assistance but nearly all of them in Michigan had qualified for the state's program under an exception for those participating in an employment and training program whose criteria included attending college, the Detroit News reported.

    Michigan's program provides Bridge cards, which can be swiped like debit cards at grocery stores. But earlier this year as part of a crackdown on welfare fraud, abuse and waste, the state announced that starting in April students would have to show "true need" to keep collecting food stamps.

    As the new school year starts, Michigan Department of Human Services Director Maura Corrigan told The Detroit News on Monday that the 30,000 students who were booted out of the program just were about twice as many as officials expected. She said the change is part of an effort to reform the state's welfare program.

    "Maybe (students) could get a part-time job -- that's what I did," said Corrigan, a former justice of the Michigan Supreme Court, was quoted saying by the newspaper.

    "We want to encourage people to be self-sufficient, not to be dependent on the government," she continued.

    Michigan's monthly food assistance is based on income, household size and other criteria. But Corrigan, who was appointed by Republican Gov. Rick Snyder in January, instructed administrators to begin reviewing applicants' assets as well, The Detroit News reported.

    The change follows a public outcry over revelations that an Auburn man remained qualified and continued collecting food stamps after he won $2 million in the state lottery TV show "Make Me Rich" last year.

    Corrigan has credited state Rep. David Agema with highlighting the issue.

    "College students who do not really need assistance have been allowed to take advantage for far too long," Agema said in a statement at the time of the state’s announcement. "Prevent Bridge card abuse will make sure assistance only goes to those who truly need help. This action will put a stop to this waste of taxpayer money."

    But some students say the change isn't fair.

    "College students have so much debt as it is in the United States. It's hard for them to be able to pay all their bills,” Wayne State University student Erik Boyes told MyFoxDetroit.

    "That could potentially be a negative impact for students," added Wayne State student Mohammed Almihtar. "Maybe they're going to have a hard time enrolling in school. That's going to push the education back, and that's not a wise way to do that."

    So what's the problem?

  4. #4
    Good Enough The J Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    06.15.06
    Age
    28
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    2,559
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Sinner's Swing!/Little Guitars
    Last Online

    06.13.16 @ 04:44 PM
    Likes
    2
    Liked 28 Times in 15 Posts

    Default

    Hey, I am a statistic! I was one of the students kicked off the program. I do agree with the fact that there was a lot of abuse with the system within people my age group. I also think that they gave away too much money with students in this program. Last year, I lived in a duplex for $350/month plus all utilities ($80-100/month) in addition to car insurance, gas and groceries. I worked the midnight shift on campus as a kind of dorm security as my schedule was always too erratic with afternoon and evening classes. There were times where I was dipping pretty steeply into my savings account and I was able to get an EBT Food Benefits Card. The part that surprised me was that it was for $200/month. On average, I'd spend about $100/month on groceries and I was confused on why I received so much. I think $50-75 would have been more than sufficient. I am all for tighter restrictions on this program because the government is giving a lot of money away in these cards, and often, money students don't exactly need. That being said, I don't think being a college student should make one ineligible but they shouldn't be dishing out $200/month if it isn't really needed.

  5. #5
    Forum Frontman It's Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.26.06
    Age
    43
    Location
    Vaughan, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    34,076
    Favorite VH Album

    like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

    12.11.17 @ 04:15 PM
    Likes
    1,314
    Liked 6,669 Times in 3,696 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lovemachine97(Version 2) View Post
    So what's the problem?
    I'm with you on this. Stupid program that should have never been there to begin with. If govt is so interested in lowering the cost of post secondary education, how bout they fund it in a more generous way and they tuition can be dropped. You don't need to create a huge bureacracy to run a stupid program like this.

  6. #6
    Forum Frontman Double Down's Avatar
    Join Date
    10.10.05
    Age
    49
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    17,911
    Favorite VH Album

    ('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

    Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

    11.17.17 @ 12:11 PM
    Likes
    538
    Liked 1,033 Times in 543 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by voivod View Post
    But some students say the change isn't fair.

    "College students have so much debt as it is in the United States. It's hard for them to be able to pay all their bills,” Wayne State University student Erik Boyes told MyFoxDetroit.
    Cry me a river. It was no different for a lot of us 25 years ago.



    This whole article is awesome. Great to finally read some news of logical, common sense decisions being made. I love how they're continuing the program for single mothers and students who work 20 hours a week. Death to the freeloaders!
    .
    .
    .
    VH with Dave ('78-'84) - The best years....the "real" VH.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.
    VH with Gary ('98) - Fucking disaster. WTF was that??
    VH with Wolf/Dave ('12-'15) - Amazing comeback. Smokin' album and tours.

  7. #7
    Atomic Punk
    Join Date
    01.29.02
    Age
    49
    Location
    somewhere over the rainbow
    Posts
    22,946
    Last Online

    12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Likes
    842
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    I'm with you on this. Stupid program that should have never been there to begin with. If govt is so interested in lowering the cost of post secondary education, how bout they fund it in a more generous way and they tuition can be dropped. You don't need to create a huge bureacracy to run a stupid program like this.
    Sorry, I should have added to my post that I can't believe this even existed in the first place, but apparently it's become the NORM... Hence the cute "SNAP" name instead of food stamps...
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

  8. #8
    Baluchitherium
    Join Date
    06.02.09
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    4,749
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Respect my Wind
    Last Online

    12.11.17 @ 01:55 PM
    Likes
    143
    Liked 1,139 Times in 649 Posts

    Default

    This kind of thing makes me angry as hell I live in Ca sometimes. I wish our state handled things like this.
    Last edited by Dick Punch; 08.09.11 at 09:50 PM.
    "Alcoholism, is like, the only disease you can get yelled at for having" - Mitch
    Hedberg

  9. #9
    Good Enough The J Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    06.15.06
    Age
    28
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    2,559
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Sinner's Swing!/Little Guitars
    Last Online

    06.13.16 @ 04:44 PM
    Likes
    2
    Liked 28 Times in 15 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    I'm with you on this. Stupid program that should have never been there to begin with. If govt is so interested in lowering the cost of post secondary education, how bout they fund it in a more generous way and they tuition can be dropped. You don't need to create a huge bureacracy to run a stupid program like this.
    Agreed 100%. Our tuition was hiked nearly 7% this summer. This fall I will be paying $7,112.00 for 16 credits. In spring 2010, I took 15 credits and it was $5,632.50. These little increases definitely add up. Not to mention, this is the largest incoming freshman class MSU has ever had so it's not like they don't have money already. They're really going to be raking in the dough come this school year.

  10. #10
    Forum Frontman It's Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.26.06
    Age
    43
    Location
    Vaughan, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    34,076
    Favorite VH Album

    like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

    12.11.17 @ 04:15 PM
    Likes
    1,314
    Liked 6,669 Times in 3,696 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The J Man View Post
    Agreed 100%. Our tuition was hiked nearly 7% this summer. This fall I will be paying $7,112.00 for 16 credits. In spring 2010, I took 15 credits and it was $5,632.50. These little increases definitely add up. Not to mention, this is the largest incoming freshman class MSU has ever had so it's not like they don't have money already. They're really going to be raking in the dough come this school year.
    yeah, tuition up here isn't nearly as expensive (though much more than what I paid). My first year at university (1993) - tuition was about 2,500 bucks. It was over 3,000 when i was done. I think this year it's about $6,500 for a full course load at my old school.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. $2M Michigan lottery winner defends use of food stamps
    By voivod in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05.19.11, 02:18 PM
  2. Gov't Raiding Food Stamps to Fund Bailout
    By voivod in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 08.13.10, 09:43 AM
  3. Arizona Considers Bill Allowing College Students To Carry Concealed Weapons On Campus
    By chefcraig in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03.02.08, 10:41 AM
  4. ‘Too Pretty’ College Students Escorted From Flight
    By voivod in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 02.28.08, 08:41 AM
  5. Students at Calif college ban Pledge of Allegiance
    By voivod in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11.11.06, 11:30 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •