Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Last Online

12.08.17 @ 10:10 PM
    Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts

Default Ed's 07-08 Pedal Board

I stumbled upon this looking for examples of a very basic pedal board. I'm having trouble finding something on the small side for roughly four pedals. Needless to say this isn't gonna cut it...

http://www.vintageandrare.com/blog/2...007-2008-tour/
    She's a ho, fo' sho'.

Last Online

12.17.17 @ 12:31 AM
    Liked 93 Times in 37 Posts

The Pedaltrain Nano or Mini shown here perhaps?

http://prostagegear.com/products/pedalboards/

I have the Pedaltrain Pro which is pretty large, but I like to have some space between pedals plus I always have extra real estate for adding more. Has a really well-made nylon carry bag with a pouch on the front for cables, etc. and they also offer a flight case. I like that it doesn't have built-in power since I could add my Dunlop brick which so far powers everything. You could probably also use one of the smaller self-contained Furman units and I think Boss even has one that will fit just a few of their small case pedals.

Last Online

Dude, you read my mind. I just ordered the mini. The nano might be a bit small.
    She's a ho, fo' sho'.

Last Online

Hey man, glad it worked out! I think you could have gone many different ways (even homemade) but the Pedaltrain is a very straightforward, well-made unit. I've been playing for 35 years, you'd think I'd be better by now (ha), and I've had the Pedaltrain Pro for about 2 1/2 years. I don't leave my gear out due to kids running around and I found I was almost never using my effects pedals. I looked into many different choices before getting this unit. The few times I've played out (I'm mostly a hobbyist since the mid-80's) I've received compliments on it from "real" musicians- meaning ones that actually play out on a regular basis.

Last Online

Yeah I think it'll work well. I'm hoping I can wedge a dunlop power supply in it somewhere. I know what you mean about the kids. I need something I can tuck out of the way easily, but still be able to get at it when I want.
    She's a ho, fo' sho'.

Last Online

There should be a bracket included but it is to mount a Voodoo Labs Pedal Power unit. I already had a Dunlop DC brick so I didn't want to buy another one. I think there should be a way to mount the Dunlop unit underneath using nylon zip ties or of course Velcro- its dimensions should not pose a problem. I have plenty of room on mine so I just placed it on top in the upper middle part of the pedalboard. I ran the pedal power cords underneath but I did not go entirely crazy and zip tie everything to the slats of the pedalboard.

Last Online

Hmm, I'll check out the Voodoo power supply. I was going to go with a dunlop just because I have MXR pedals. I've been eyeing up the Voodoo labs chorus as well. I'll check that supply out as well. Thanks for the info.
    She's a ho, fo' sho'.

Last Online

I did a little research and it looks like the Mini does not come with a bracket to mount the power supply underneath. This is due to the Mini not angling upward as high as the other models. Apparently the Jr., 1, 2, 3, and Pro models have the Voodoo Labs Pedal Power bracket. You said you already ordered the mini but you might consider switching to the Jr. Otherwise, the power supply would go on top of the board. The mini is 21x7x1 and the Jr. is 17x12.5x2.5 (note the extra height). So the Jr. is actually narrower than the Mini, a bit deeper, and of course higher allowing for the ps underneath.

If you don't already have a power supply, another cool reason for the Voodoo Labs Pedal Power 2 Plus unit is that it has two ports which allow for voltage sag to simulate dying batteries. I haven't had that capability since the 80's, but then it was due to using actual dying 9V batteries. I'll bet like many of us your phaser pedal of choice is the EVH Phase 90. It's a great pedal but to my ears even in script mode the effect is too "wet". There is a trim pot inside which can supposedly lessen the effect (I'm going to give this a shot). Another thing I have read of people doing on the Metroamp forum is using one of the voltage Sag ports on the Voodoo Labs unit to dial down the voltage to the EVH Phase 90, effectively browning it out, and they say it sounds much closer to his old original Script mode Phase 90.

Speaking of phaser pedals, supposedly the Whirlwind "Orange Box" phaser pedal really nails the old sound. The president of Whirlwind was one of the founders of the old MXR company and their handwired pedal is supposed to be made to the original design. The pedal made by the current MXR company is more of a cumulative design where they tried to dial in the old script mode sound. I'm happy enough with my EVH Phase 90 but I thought I'd throw that out there for anyone still looking for a phaser pedal.

Last Online

Yeah I've been looking into this as well. I'm considering the junior as I can add the voodoo power supply and it will all fit nice and neat. If I get the mini I'll be trying to retro fit something and it won't be as nice. Thanks for the advice.
    She's a ho, fo' sho'.

Last Online

Ok, I've switched to the Jr. It's not much bigger and I have many more options with it...
    She's a ho, fo' sho'.