Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.07.17 @ 12:54 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Free cell phones are now a civil right

Pennsylvanians on public assistance now have a new 'civil right' -- free cell phones. Meanwhile, the rest of us get to pay higher cell bills as a result.

Recently, a federal government program called the Universal Service Fund came to the Keystone State and some residents are thrilled because it means they can enjoy 250 minutes a month and a handset for free, just because they don't have the money to pay for it. Through Assurance Wireless and SafeLink from Tracfone Wireless these folks get to reach out and touch someone while the cost of their service is paid for by everyone else. You see, the telecommunications companies are funding the Universal Service Fund to the tune of $4 billion a year because the feds said they have to and in order to recoup their money, the companies turn around and hike their fees to paying customers. But those of use paying for the free service for the poor, should be happy about this infuriating situation, says Gary Carter, manager of national partnerships for Assurance, because "the program is about peace of mind." Free cell service means "one less bill that someone has to pay, so they can pay their rent or for day care...it is a right to have peace of mind," Cater explained.

Well, the telecommunications companies don't seem to love providing this 'right' to poor folks because they are trying to renegotiate the deal with the FCC. The telecommunications companies like Verizon and AT&T want more paying customers, but their desire to reform their deal with the feds dovetails nicely with the political ideology of the current FCC chairman Julian Genachowski, who like all Obama administration flunkies sees 'rights' where others see 'priviledges'. Just listen to how the agency put the question of providing broadband and cell service to those in rural and poor communities. "The goal of reform is to provide everyone with affordable voice and broadband," the agency said.

Between 14 million and 24 million Americans lack access to broadband, "and immediate prospects for deployment to them are bleak," the FCC said in a report last year. "Many of these Americans are poor or live in rural areas that will remain unserved without reform of the universal service program and other changes," the report said.

But who says that cheap or free broadband is anything more than a luxury?

Well, another Obama flunkie, Rahm Emanuel, that's who. As we reported in June , the new mayor of Chicago was all excited to proclaim the wonderful news of free internet service to poor kids in Chicago's worst neighborhoods. And how could Mayor Emanuel pay for this new 'civil right'? Well, because the federal government extorted the money from Comcast when it wanted to buy NBC-Universal. Once again FCC chairman Genachowski was all about "helping the kids" by forcing the internet provider to give poor kids free netbooks, laptops, and internet service, indefinitely. And who is going to pay for this gift? Well, of course the rest of us poor saps who actually pay our bills.
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Last Online

12.08.17 @ 02:36 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

I love the USSA

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 09:09 AM
    Liked 1,341 Times in 920 Posts

I heard there was a move afoot in congress to take the Latin "E Pluribus Unum" off the great seal of the United States and replace it with "Where's mine?"

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 10:41 AM
    Liked 18,077 Times in 8,931 Posts

Reminds me of the woman jumping up and down on TV once Obama was elected screaming "now I don't have to pay my mortgage!".
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.07.17 @ 12:54 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    Reminds me of the woman jumping up and down on TV once Obama was elected screaming "now I don't have to pay my mortgage!".

http://www.sodahead.com/united-state...stion-1818413/

http://conversations.blackvoices.com...c27f9e59de55de
    Last edited by voivod; 08.03.11 at 08:46 AM.
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

=VH= II
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 10:18 AM
    Liked 780 Times in 375 Posts

Premium Member

_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

W/O U, WIL, & HFT
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:03 AM
    Liked 432 Times in 167 Posts

Donor

I don't want to pay for someone else's cell phone. I don't have any "peace of mind."
    Rock the Red!!!

"Give Doc the shotgun. They're less apt to get nervy if he's on the street howitzer."

"Dying ain't much of a living, boy."

Save a Terrapin - Fear a Turtle

Favorite VH Album

All 14 of 'em (best ofs too)
    Favorite VH Song

I'll Wait / Feelin'
    Last Online

12.02.17 @ 12:58 PM
    Liked 19 Times in 6 Posts

Yeah, the PSAs here state "Everyone deserves a voice in the event of an emergency.."
    Wonder if that's what it will be used for.
    "I didn't just drive a thousand goddamn miles on a motorcycle to watch some little girl prance around on stage" - Steve Morrison on if Justin Bieber performed at Sturgis Motorcycle Rally

-"I'd rather stick my junk into a freshly-slapped hornet's nest." LLFHS on banging Lindsay Lohan

Poster formerly known as Fiftyoneftfty

Favorite VH Album

=VH= II
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 10:18 AM
    Liked 780 Times in 375 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by 5150 View Post
    Yeah, the PSAs here state "Everyone deserves a voice in the event of an emergency.."
    Wonder if that's what it will be used for.
    Yo wus good dogg wats cracka lackin. tryna chill wit da shawtys tonite b. a nikka you hear about tamika havin dat baby. dat baby ugly azz hell. lmfaoooooooooo. dogg she be stallin dogg nah mean hoes be on sum ole otha shid dogg.

Its aite doe i holla at cha
    _-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 11:21 PM
    Liked 3,107 Times in 1,819 Posts

Premium Member

A majority of the poor already have a cell phone, air conditioning, a washer/dryer, ceiling fans, cordless phone, two (or more) color televisions, satellite/cable, a DVD player, a refrigerator, an oven and stove, a microwave, and a coffee maker.

Now the other 45% of the poor must have one? Ridiculous.

Handouts have not helped the poor; they've hurt them.

Look at this report from the US government on the increases in wages since the Great Society:

Notice that the income of the poor has remained flat while the entire middle class has seen wages increase from between 22% and 70%.

On the other hand, the standard of living has gone up because of the market. A 19" color JVC television in 1980 cost $2600 in today's dollars. Today, a 19" JVC HDTVs is $200. In 1980, a 19 cubic-foot fridge cost $1400 dollars in 2011 dollars. Today, an 18.2 cubic foot fridge costs $449. In 1980, 1 dozen eggs cost $1.89 in 2011 dollars. With a coupon you can pay less than a dollar for eggs. A gallon of milk cost $6 in today's dollars in 1980. You can get it for half of that today. In 1985, a Sony Walkman cost $380 in today's dollars. We know how much an iPod is today. A 1982 Commodore 64 cost $1500 in today's dollars. You can get a laptop now for less than $300.

If the government just stopped trying to help, these people will be able to do some of this on their own.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 09:09 AM
    Liked 1,341 Times in 920 Posts

I want to know about the po' folks that have jacuzzis. And also the ones with answering machines! Do they still make/sell answering machines?

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

VHII
    Favorite VH Song

Light up the Sky
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 07:01 PM
    Liked 190 Times in 96 Posts

Default How about this one.... guess who will pay for it???

I love it when they use the word "free", like its comes from thin air or something.

Federal health department approves free birth control

WASHINGTON – Health insurance plans must cover birth control as preventive care for women, with no copays, the Obama administration said Monday in a decision with far-reaching implications for health care as well as social mores.

The requirement is part of a broad expansion of coverage for women's preventive care under President Barack Obama's health care law. Also to be covered without copays are breast pumps for nursing mothers, an annual "well-woman" physical, screening for the virus that causes cervical cancer and for diabetes during pregnancy, counseling on domestic violence, and other services.

"These historic guidelines are based on science and existing (medical) literature and will help ensure women get the preventive health benefits they need," said Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius.

The new requirements will take effect Jan. 1, 2013, in most cases. Tens of millions of women are expected to gain coverage initially, and that number is likely to grow with time. At first, some plans may be exempt due to a complex provision of the health care law known as the "grandfather" clause. But those even plans could face pressure from their members to include the new benefit.

Sebelius acted after a near-unanimous recommendation last month from a panel of experts convened by the prestigious Institute of Medicine, which advises the government. Panel chairwoman Linda Rosenstock, dean of public health at the University of California, Los

Angeles, said that prevention of unintended pregnancies is essential for the psychological, emotional and physical health of women.

As recently as the 1990s, many health insurance plans didn't even cover birth control. Protests, court cases, and new state laws led to dramatic changes. Today, almost all plans cover prescription contraceptives — with varying copays. Medicaid, the health care program for low-income people, also covers contraceptives.

Indeed, a government study last summer found that birth control use is virtually universal in the United States, according to a government study issued last summer. More than 90 million prescriptions for contraceptives were dispensed in 2009, according the market analysis firm INS health. Generic versions of the pill are available for as little as $9 a month. Still, about half of all pregnancies are unplanned. Many are among women using some form of contraception, and forgetting to take the pill is a major reason.

Preventing unwanted pregnancies is only one goal of the new requirement. Contraception can help make a woman's next pregnancy healthier by spacing births far enough apart, generally 18 months to two years. Research links closely spaced births to a risk of such problems as prematurity, low birth weight, even autism. Research has shown that even modest copays for medical care can discourage use.

read more at:
    http://yourlife.usatoday.com/health/...rol/49755156/1
    ~ I like the way the line runs up the back of her stockings ~

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 10:22 AM
    Liked 6,669 Times in 3,696 Posts

what the hell is going on with your country? These ideas are dumber than some of the stuff we pay for.

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 09:08 AM
    Liked 739 Times in 407 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wruff_ajax View Post
    Well... If Rush is playing it on his radio show, it must be completely unbiased and factual

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 09:08 AM
    Liked 739 Times in 407 Posts

Premium Member

There is zero reason for poor individuals to have a cell phone... Public pay phones still exist people.