Register
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.07.17 @ 12:54 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Default Rescuers suing woman they saved from fiery crash

Good Samaritans suing woman they saved
    Two men allegedly obtained injuries during the Ohio rescue

MARION, Ohio — Two men who rescued a woman from a fiery crash in central Ohio are now suing her for injuries they say they obtained during the rescue, according to a report in The Columbus Dispatch.

David Kelley and Mark Kinkaid are suing Theresa Tanner for permanent and disabling injuries they obtained while rescuing her from a car crash in March 2009, which they say was her fault. The suit, filed March 10 in Marion County Common Pleas Court, asks for damages of at least $25,000 each.

"All I know is that I am not the same man I used to be," Kelley said in an interview with The Columbus Dispatch. "What I saw that day, that woman, it haunts me. The flames were so hot when we got to her that her hair was melting to her head — melting. There isn't hardly a night that goes by that I don't wake up in a sweat, that image in my mind."

Kelley, a father of five from Marion, Ohio, said his lungs were damaged from the heavy smoke and fire in the accident. The 39-year-old truck driver said he can't even manage to carry a laundry basket up the stairs in his home.

The lawsuit claims that Tanner operated her vehicle "intentionally and/or recklessly and/or negligently," resulting in the vehicle crashing and catching on fire. It claims that Kelley and Kinkaid received "severe bodily injuries" as a result of Tanner's actions and that "all or some of these injuries are permanent in nature resulting in permanent disability."

Kinkaid's and Kelley's efforts saved Tanner's life, although she was critically injured. After the accident, she spent several weeks in an intensive-care unit, reported The Columbus Dispatch. The Ohio State Highway Patrol honored the two men for their bravery a month after the crash at a ceremony in Marion.

The men jumped over a barbed-wire fence and knocked down trees on their way down the steep highway embankment to get to Tanner's Hummer after they noticed smoke from the side of the highway.

When they arrived at the car, Kinkaid broke a window with a tire iron, but the men couldn't reach her through the small Hummer windows, reported The Columbus Dispatch. Despite the heavy smoke and intense flames, the men continued to reach into the car and search for other passengers. Kelley said the heat was so intense that it burnt the hair off his body and melted his cell phone.

Kelley finally was able to pull Tanner, the lone passenger, out of the car and Kinkaid carried her up the hill away from the flames, because Kelley was too overcome from the smoke, he said.

Apparently, good samaritans who sue those they rescue isn't uncommon, according to Stan Darling, a professor at Capital University Law School.

"The precedent is clear: danger invites rescue...and if you've acted recklessly or negligently and someone gets hurt rescuing you, you could be in trouble," Darling said in an interview with The Columbus Dispatch.

"That's the first time in my experience that I've heard of people going back and suing the person they rescued," patrol Lt. Chuck Jones said Monday.

He said he still believes the men needed to be honored for their bravery.

"I'm almost 100 percent certain that she would have perished in the fire if they had not pulled her from the vehicle," said Jones, who's now a criminal patrol commander in the Columbus area.

Kelley's fellow rescuer, Kinkaid, could not be reached for comment by the Dispatch. Kinkaid, 43, of Prospect, Ohio, was indicted on several felonies after the suit was filed that are unrelated to the crash. Kinkaid posted a $50,000 bond and was released from jail in June, according to the Dispatch.

Tanner, 28, of Marysville, Ohio, declined via her husband to comment on the story to The Columbus Dispatch. According to the Ohio State Highway Patrol report of the crash, Tanner told authorities she had an argument with someone on the day of the crash and she wanted to end her life. She said she didn't remember anything after crashing into a bridge guardrail.
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

Conundrum.
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Respect my Wind
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 11:47 AM
    Liked 1,139 Times in 649 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LLFHS View Post
    Conundrum.
    Quagmire. Giggity...
    "Alcoholism, is like, the only disease you can get yelled at for having" - Mitch
    Hedberg

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

04.28.16 @ 08:41 PM
    Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

Really? If I were a judge I don't think I'd be able to keep from laughing these two nutjobs out of my courtroom. Who's decision was it to rescue this woman? It was their decision, not like someone forced them to. Obviously, any mentally competent person is going to know the dangers that come with dealing with a fire, its hot more than likely you are going to get burned. Don't get me wrong I commend and congratulate them on being good citizens and caring human beings and putting their lives on the line to help another, but as far as the suing the woman goes I have to laugh and call them a bunch of freaking morons.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

11.25.14 @ 09:53 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Premium Member

I'm not a lawyer nor do I have any legal background whatsoever, but what is the basis for their suit? Negligence on the woman's part for getting in an accident? Sorry, if I was in the same situation, I'd like to believe I'd race to save someone else's life. If I got "injured" b/c of it (and no, not being able to carry a laudry basket of clothes up the stairs is not an injury) then so be it-I saved another person's life.
    LSU Tigers 2003 & 2007 National Champs
    Detroit Pistons 2004 NBA Champs

If looks could kill, I'd stare at everybody!