Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

In a Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

06.06.17 @ 01:33 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Rolling Stone Top 100 Guitarists

This may already be posted somewhere, but I saw the latest Rolling Stone Top 100 Guitarists list. King Edward is number 70???? WTF? While I am biased, I must say that I understand they are using a wide range of genres, but just a few names that were ahead of him that I found questionable:

66. Vernon Reid
    26. Tom Morello
    18. John Frusciante
    12. Kurt Cobain
    11. Kirk Hammett (love Kirk, but Edward Van Halen he is not!)

All good guitarists in their own right (except Cobain in my humble opinion. Overrated!) but COME ON MAN!

What say ye?

Favorite VH Album

1984 / 5150
    Favorite VH Song

the ones with ed on them.
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 02:42 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

RS = BS.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"20 minutes (late to work)? Shit. Last year I woke up three weeks too late.
    My advice is to go for the alien abduction story. Look bemused, dishevelled and on the verge of tears as you recount your story of intrusive and degrading medical tests.
    Worked for me anyway. I still have colleagues asking me what it is like to fuck a green womanoid with seventeen breasts.
    Alternatively just walk in and inform everyone that alcoholism is indeed a disease and that they should be less judgemental and perhaps a little more supportive."
    - graeme on the addiction to this place.

"something tells me that after the nuclear holocaust, there'll be twinkies, cockroaches, and a dave vs. sammy argument going on somewhere".
    - han valen, 6.11.04

"in my best "saw" scary movie voice: "oh, yes, there will be beagles."
    - hatchetforce, 6.7.06

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 09:15 AM
    Liked 6,849 Times in 3,587 Posts

Premium Member

Yay! This again.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II/OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Good Enough/Little Guitars
    Last Online

06.25.15 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 42 Times in 11 Posts

I think I read this eight or nine years ago in RS. I'm pretty much done being frustrated over this one.
    "I respect that youre passionate about this but what your saying is complete idiocy..." - MF5150 on McDonald's "preying" on young kids.

"He was born a human, he's a horse's ass by proxy." - It's Mike on Eddymon.

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

03.24.16 @ 05:02 PM
    Liked 57 Times in 32 Posts

I say that any rag list that puts Ed at #70 and Kurt Cobain at #12 is truly tapped in the head. Seriously.

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 09:15 AM
    Liked 6,849 Times in 3,587 Posts

Premium Member

Yay! This again.

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 03:10 AM
    Liked 1,482 Times in 904 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by oldfan77 View Post
    I say that any rag list that puts Ed at #70 and Kurt Cobain at #12 is truly tapped in the head. Seriously.
    You got that right.
    What a joke that list is.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Favorite VH Album

VH, VH2, FW, ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Big River, Little Guitars
    Last Online

03.22.17 @ 07:01 AM
    Liked 120 Times in 49 Posts

Yet a few days after the list was originally published, there was a poll on their website asking who the greatest guitarist of all time was. There were, from memory, four options, and Ed was one of them.

Hmmm.

Obviously they put him at #70 to sell magazines thanks to the controversy it was bound to -- and did -- create.

Ed had a sense of humour about it. He sent Joni Mitchell flowers as a congratulatory gift for her ranking higher than him.
    Waylon Jennings: 1937-2002.
    "There ain't nothin' quite as sad as watching your heroes die."

RIP, Hoss!

Favorite VH Album

VHII, FW, 1984, 5150, ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

You want me to pick just one?
    Last Online

11.28.17 @ 09:02 PM
    Liked 27 Times in 6 Posts

Rolling Stones nonsensical "Top 100 Guitarists list" has had absolutely no credibility for at least 7 years. In 2004, Zakk Wylde summed up that years list perfectly, hence the inclusion of the link to his statement in my signature ..

Sat Jan 10, 2004
    ZAKK WYLDE COMMENTS ON ROLLING STONE'S TOP 100 GUITAR PLAYERS LIST

Ever wonder what OZZY OSBOURNE/BLACK LABEL SOCIETY guitarist ZAKK WYLDE thinks of Rolling Stone's Top 100 Guitar Players List? Well, he spoke to sleazegrinder.com and here is some of what he had to say:

“Put it this way,” begins Wylde, his down-home, beer-soaked growl of a voice thundering through his massive beard, “when EDDIE VAN HALEN is number 70 and RANDY RHOADS is number 85, I mean, bottom line is I have to play Randy Rhoads’ shit every night. I idolize Randy Rhoads. I still got posters of Randy Rhoads in my garage right now, in my weight room. I carry them on the bus. I love Randy Rhoads to death man, so I mean, the whole thing is just like, I’ve got to play Randy’s shit every night. Last time I checked, JOAN JETT can’t play fucking Mr. Crowley, you know what I’m saying?”

Joan Jett checks in at number 87, just behind Van Halen and Rhoads.

“You’ve got to laugh at the thing,” Wylde continues. “I mean, JOE SATRIANI isn’t in there. STEVE VAI isn’t in there. YNGWIE MALMSTEEN isn’t in that fucking list. SLASH isn’t in there. They are some of the sickest guitar players that have ever walked this planet. I mean, I’m a guitar player. Do you know how good fucking Yngwie is? It’s beyond fucking sick. The fact that Yngwie isn’t in it is just fucking mind-boggling to me. People can say what they want about Yngwie, but it’s just like naming the 10 greatest singers of all time and not putting Pavarotti in it, you know what I’m saying? Yngwie is a virtuoso.”

“I mean, I dig the WHITE STRIPES, I think they’re fucking cool as fuck, I mean they’ve got balls from hell, you know what I’m saying?” says Wylde. “Even KURT COBAIN. I dig Kurt. Great songwriter. Great voice. Great records. But I mean, it’s just like, he’s above Eddie Van Halen? Jack White, what, this is his second fucking album? And he’s number 17?”

The list gave top honors to the legendary JIMI HENDRIX, another of Wylde’s idols and while it’s impossible to downplay Hendrix’s contribution to the guitar, Wylde believes Hendrix’s number one status is a slight miscue.

“Obviously Jimmy Hendrix is going to be the patron son of guitar, like Babe Ruth. No matter who hits more home runs than The Babe, The Babe is going to be, you know, The Babe. But the thing is, Jimi Hendrix couldn’t play Spanish Fly or Eruption. Technically. I’m telling you. Flat out. Just couldn’t do it. Jimi got a bunch of gear that nobody ever had before, you know what I am saying? So, he was able to do it before anyone else, and I understand that, but Eddie brought it to a whole other level technically.”

With Hendrix technically disqualified, Wylde’s choice for the greatest guitarist of all time becomes quite evident.

“As far as I’m concerned, Eddie Van Halen should be number one. And then Randy Rhoads would have to be in the top three or top five. He’d have to be.”
    "One of the reasons I left Sabbath was because Van Halen was blowing us off the stage every night. It was embarrassing." -Ozzy Osbourne

"When I first heard "Runnin' With The Devil" on the radio, I was stunned and found myself dizzy, walking through my high school hallways thinking, "What was THAT?!"
    Eddie Van Halen was so innovative and kicked so much ass, and David Lee Roth was for a time indisputably the Greatest Man in America.
    If aliens came down and challenged us to a Battle of the Bands to decide the fate of Planet Earth, I would feel very confident putting early Van Halen forward as our champion." -Tom Morello

"A lot of bands mature, which means they get square; they start delivering messages. Hey, you got a message, use Western Union." -DLR

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by oldfan77 View Post
    This.

"I love Randy Rhoads to death man, so I mean, the whole thing is just like, I’ve got to play Randy’s shit every night. Last time I checked, JOAN JETT can’t play fucking Mr. Crowley, you know what I’m saying?”
    And this.
    Last edited by LLFHS; 08.01.11 at 11:35 AM.
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:48 AM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

Honestly, and I mean this literally, they should be completely and utterly embarrassed to have printed that list and somebody should lose a job over it because it's hugely discrediting to the publication to have something like that out there in circulation. That can't be undone, and it's just obnoxiously moronic to the point where reputation and credit (if they had any) is tarnished probably beyond repair. I'd fire the compiler of that list immediately. He or she is unworthy of the position.
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 06:36 AM
    Liked 18,159 Times in 8,975 Posts

Rolling Stone has some good political articles, as I am usually on the other side of the fence and like to hear other opinions.

But I stopped caring about what they think about music a long time ago.

I'm a bass player, give me six months and I can play the six string better than Kurt Cobain.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Last Online

12.14.17 @ 09:23 PM
    Liked 93 Times in 37 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    I'm a bass player, give me six minutes and I can play the six string better than Kurt Cobain.
    I made a slight adjustment...

Last Online

12.11.15 @ 10:08 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Kurt wasn't that much of a bad guitar player. I thought it was just a reflection of the times. But lists are generally always terrible, and Kurt Cobain is usually in the top 20 every time for some reason. As much as we bitch about the lack of music, Nirvana were only relevant for 2 albums, whereas y'know, Eddie put out 11 albums of Gold.
    If I told the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth about what I've gone through over the last 20 odd years, what it took to finally get where I am, people just wouldn't fucking believe it. So it's pointless. I now realize that I can't change people's minds, and I really don't want to or need to try. I'm at peace with it, and that's all that matters. - Edward Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 08:01 AM
    Liked 2,388 Times in 1,490 Posts

Premium Member

Rolling Stone stopped being relevant in about 1975.
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.