Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MTV Turns 30

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 09:20 AM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Default MTV Turns 30

It's way too easy to turn this into a MTV BASHING THREAD, so let's try to look at the positive memories for those of us grew up on the channel in the 80's thru early 90's...

MTV Turns 30

For original MTV VJ Mark Goodman, the news that music network is celebrating its 30th anniversary this weekend is hard to fathom. "It's freaking weird," he tells Rolling Stone. "I've lived like three lifetimes since then. It's just so long ago, and yet it also seems like yesterday. It's a weird number – and it's hard to believe that we're still talking about this 30 years down the road."

MTV launched on August 1st, 1981 at 12:01 a.m. The first images broadcast were the launch of the Apollo 11, followed by a video for the Buggles song "Video Killed The Radio Star." The network has gone through countless permutations since then, but this weekend VH1 Classic will commemorate MTV's founding with a three-day marathon of footage from the 1980s, including a re-broadcast of the network's first hour, starting Saturday at 6 a.m.

Mark Goodman was a 28-year-old disc jockey when he auditioned for the new network in 1981. "During one of the auditions I had to interview Robert Morton – who went on to produce David Letterman's show – as he pretended to be Billy Joel," says Goodman. "He was just being a total fucking asshole on purpose to make it the worst possible interview. In another round, I had to talk to the audience about the Eagles, whose photos were pasted up on a poster board on an easel."

In the earliest days, MTV was only available in a limited number of cities. When they launched, the VJs had to travel to New Jersey to watch it because even New York cable companies didn't offer it. "Part of the job was to hang out with cable operators and convince them to pick up MTV," Goodman says. "Within six months we started getting these stories back from small towns in the Midwest and in the South where people were going into record stores and asking for the Buggles, who had been off the shelves for about three years by 1981. I also remember doing an appearance in Cheyenne, Wyoming at a record store where thousands of people showed up. I said, 'What's going on?' They said, 'You.' I was completely blown away, and I said, 'Okay, it's working.'"

It took a little while for all the major artists to begin making videos. "I think we only had 300 videos at first," Goodman says. "Which is why you saw Andrew Gold every few hours. We also had lots of Rod Stewart, and even acts like Charlie Daniels. One of the early success stories was Duran Duran. We started playing 'Planet Earth' early on and it got them wide exposure. We started to hear about British bands coming to the States and being shocked by how many people showed up."

The new platform served as a tremendous boost to the record industry. "We sort of propped it up when there was kind of an indulgence in the industry," says Goodman. "We were coming off Saturday Night Fever in 1979 and the industry had this gigantic bubble and then things got awful quiet. We came along just in time and revitalized things, or at least opened people up to more music."

Goodman left the network in 1988, but has returned periodically for specials. He recently hosted a variety of shows on VH1 Classic. MTV had a huge celebration for its 20th anniversary in 2001, and reunited all five of the original VJs at a concert special in New York. "As far as I know, MTV isn't doing anything in particular to celebrate the 30th," Goodman says. "MTV doesn't want people to think about how friggin' old they are. The people watching now were so, so not born when we launched. They were light years away from being born."

Original VJ JJ Jackson died in 2004, but the other four do regular work for Sirius XM. "This weekend, me and Nina Blackwood and Alan Hunter and Martha Quinn are going in the same studio," Goodman says., "We're going to recreate, musically, the first five hours of MTV. And we're going to tell stories from the old days, and people like Rick Springfiefld, Nick Rhodes and Eddie Money are going to stop by to talk about their earliest impressions of MTV."

Despite his deep history with MTV, Goodman admits that he hardly watches it these days. "I have no interest in stuff like Jersey Shore," he says. "I have an 18-year-old daughter and I have watched other shows with her, but it's not for me. I'm 30 years past the demo."
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 12:29 PM
    Liked 6,854 Times in 3,590 Posts

Premium Member

I thought it was funny that VH1 Classics was doing the 30th year tribute to MTV this weekend instead of... well!... MTV!

MTV did offer up blocks of The Jessey Shore though.

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 09:07 AM
    Liked 1,487 Times in 908 Posts

30 years.....wow!!!
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Favorite VH Album

all of them
    Favorite VH Song

If its Eddie, its Van Halen
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 10:13 AM
    Liked 527 Times in 242 Posts

Watched a little of the VH1 Classic thing and when they showed a clip of Pee Wee Herman's return at the 1991 VMA's I was hoping they would continue it for the VH Poundcake performance that followed as you could see the amps and shit on stage. But of course with pretty anything VH related the past years it was another dissapointment.
    'Old Van Halen, when I was in it-classic Van Halen-makes you wanna drink, dance and screw, right? And the new Van Halen encourages you to drink milk, drive a Nissan and have a relationship.' - David Lee Roth.

Favorite VH Album

All 14 of 'em (best ofs too)
    Favorite VH Song

I'll Wait / Feelin'
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 03:14 PM
    Liked 19 Times in 6 Posts

MTV would probably make a killing if they were smart enough to launch a channel devoted to it's past---- ala VH1C. All the old VMAs, videos, and VJs, I can't believe they haven't done so already. Rather we get dumb kids knocking each other up and out. It's a no-brainer.
    "I didn't just drive a thousand goddamn miles on a motorcycle to watch some little girl prance around on stage" - Steve Morrison on if Justin Bieber performed at Sturgis Motorcycle Rally

-"I'd rather stick my junk into a freshly-slapped hornet's nest." LLFHS on banging Lindsay Lohan

Poster formerly known as Fiftyoneftfty

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 09:05 PM
    Liked 1,489 Times in 1,018 Posts

Premium Member

It turns out that MTV is done more harm than good to music. Now 3 minute music video's are more important than the music. I jumped off the MTV bandwagon sometime in the mid 90's other than Beavis and Butthead of course.

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 05:57 AM
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts

Donor

MTV turned 30. But Music Television died about 10 years ago.
    "What we are dealing with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law" - Jackie Gleason, Smokey and the Bandit

www.geocaching.com - The site where you are the search engine.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

W/O U, WIL, & HFT
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:52 AM
    Liked 433 Times in 167 Posts

Donor

MTV who?? Stopped watching it probably mid-90's except for B&B. I'll only watch B&B when it comes back on.

Couldn't stand Julie Brown - what an annoying voice. But, I always liked watching Head Banger's Ball and the game show Remote Control.
    Rock the Red!!!

"Give Doc the shotgun. They're less apt to get nervy if he's on the street howitzer."

"Dying ain't much of a living, boy."

Save a Terrapin - Fear a Turtle

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 04:17 PM
    Liked 44 Times in 27 Posts

Began watching MTV at about the time it began. Where I grew up in Baltimore County, my neighborhood had just received access to Caltec Cable a few weeks prior to onset of MTV. Cable was a new novelty to me, as was MTV.
    MTV became less important to me by 1987, which was when I got my driver's license and got more into parties, drinks, and girls. Sometimes I would watch Headbangers Ball or 120 minutes.

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by ZeoBandit View Post
    MTV turned 30. But Music Television died about 10 years ago.
    Was just about to post thoughts along those lines. The MTV that we had in the 80's is NOT the same steaming reality show shit-pile that is on now. Not even close.

I miss the Sunday Night Concert - Journey, Greg Kihn, Asia, Dave Edmunds. Saw some damn good shows back then.

Friday Night Videos Fights were kinda cool too. I remember the first MTV House Party contest where you stood to win a ton of freakin hotshit (at the time) stereo equipment and wanting so damn bad to win that thing. Mama Lowlife warned me against it though, being all of 13 years old.
    Last edited by LLFHS; 08.01.11 at 11:50 AM.
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Runnin' With the Devil
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 04:59 PM
    Liked 34 Times in 14 Posts

I watched a bit of the VH1 Classic stuff on MTV this weekend. It reminded me that the buzz of appointment viewing is gone nowadays. I used to leave parties early on Saturday nights to catch Headbangers Ball or race home from the bus stop after school because new VH videos from 1984 were in heavy rotation. Now, I can go to youtube in 2 seconds to watch almost any video or DVR those videos on VH1 Classic and FF through them at mach speed. I love the technology but there's something to be said for the buzz of waiting all week to watch a VH Unleashed special on MTV.

MTV had some awesome contests back in the day. Lost Weekend, Win a Radio Station, Win a Town... You name it - MTV had it all.

I still love Kari Wuhrer.

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 11:58 AM
    Liked 3,126 Times in 1,832 Posts

Premium Member

Even in the mid nineties, when I was getting up in the AM, MTV was still playing videos, though "shows" like the Real World were getting more and more popular.

I remember older MTV when I was younger, and VJs like Adam Curry, and I really liked Martha Quinn, but my most vivid memories were in my formative years.

I have fond memories of junior high and high school with Matt Pinfield, MTV Sports with Dan Cortese, MTV Jams with Bill Bellamy, Daisy Fuentes, Singled Out with Chris Hardwick and Jenny McCarthy, Kennedy, Kurt Loder, John Norris and Tabitha Peters and MTV News, Simon Rex, and John Sencio.

I think the execs at MTV have done a great job at staying relevant when the music video started to become less important.

I think MTV launched a lot of careers that radio may not have, but I also think the music industry is better off today with less of an emphasis (though it can still be powerful) on image.

And damn it, I actually like Hootie & the Blowfish. So :-P

Favorite VH Album

All
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs, BOBW...
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 04:55 PM
    Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts

The first ten to twelve years were memorable and fun. After that, not so much.

Favorite VH Album

Woman and children first
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 09:48 PM
    Liked 602 Times in 392 Posts

MTV was only cool till 1993.
    Then it was all down hill from there.

MTV 1984 - best ever!!!!
    My chat with Mike & Joe from Chickenfoot 1/7/12
    http://bit.ly/yyS5uq

With a real rockstar - Jason Becker.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ElJcDdgfT0

NEW single "Heavy Mellow" & The REMIX available on iTunes & worldwide on bandcamp!
    http://johnnybeane.wordpress.com/201...unes-bandcamp/

My bio.
    http://about.me/johnnybeane

"Like" me on Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/guitaristjohnnybeane

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 09:20 AM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bugs Meanie View Post
    I still love Kari Wuhrer.
    Can't imagine why...

"Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton