Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

Woman and children first
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 11:04 PM
    Liked 600 Times in 391 Posts

Default Is this Eddie's pedal board for the next tour???

My chat with Mike & Joe from Chickenfoot 1/7/12
    http://bit.ly/yyS5uq

With a real rockstar - Jason Becker.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ElJcDdgfT0

NEW single "Heavy Mellow" & The REMIX available on iTunes & worldwide on bandcamp!
    http://johnnybeane.wordpress.com/201...unes-bandcamp/

My bio.
    http://about.me/johnnybeane

"Like" me on Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/guitaristjohnnybeane

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

if this is his pedalboard for the new record/tour then i'm glad he's keeping it simple. I know he dabbled with the Whammy at the begining of the last tour and i'd love to see what he's come up with using it since then (he could simply be using it in place of the harmonic feature on the sustainer, but who knows)
    everything else looks pretty much what i would expect to see.
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Last Online

12.03.17 @ 11:54 AM
    Liked 35 Times in 15 Posts

So he has his three signature pedals, a Digitech Whammy, and a Boss Super Octave. Simple indeed! I wonder if his rack gear is about the same as always.

Last Online

10.17.12 @ 03:50 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Whats DDLS?

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

i think it's for the Roland SDE 3000.

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

12.08.17 @ 06:54 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by johnnybeane View Post
    i wonder what he uses to boost the guitar signal from that long ass multicolored jump rope he uses for a guitar cable??

Favorite VH Album

all
    Favorite VH Song

simple rhyme
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 06:51 AM
    Liked 1,204 Times in 532 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by OokraMoO View Post
    Whats DDLS?
    DROP DEAD LEGS SOLO (I WISH)
    MOST LIKELY DIGITAL DELAY
    WHAT IS UNDERSTOOD NEED NOT BE DISCUSSED

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by mikehunt5150 View Post
    DROP DEAD LEGS SOLO (I WISH)
    MOST LIKELY DIGITAL DELAY
    dude, no need to shout!...

I already said it was for the Roland SDE-3000!

Favorite VH Album

The one with Ed on guitar.
    Favorite VH Song

The one with Ed's amazing solo
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 04:55 PM
    Liked 186 Times in 92 Posts

DROP DEAD LEGS!

PRETTY SMILE!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "I could call it anything, but the only word I can think of is Brown. It's just a warm sound. Warm, big, majestic" - Eddie Van Halen on his Tone

"Van Halen is definitely a ladies band, and Ive got the Polaroids to prove it". - David Lee Roth

WOLFGANG did the IMPOSSIBLE, he brought back VAN HALEN, DEAL WITH IT.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Love 'em all! (esp. F.U.C.K)
    Favorite VH Song

The Dream Is Over
    Last Online

12.04.17 @ 04:15 PM
    Liked 1,228 Times in 845 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tommywho5150 View Post
    dude, no need to shout!...

I already said it was for the Roland SDE-3000!
    But what does it stand for? (And what's a Roland SDE-3000?)
    I'm FEMALE...Deal with it!

"Whatever you do, wherever you go, there you are..." Edward Van Halen 1986

"You spend the first part of your life trying to make your mark, and the second part just trying to cover up your tracks"... Weesfreewheelin, 2012

"Life's too short to stuff a mushroom"... Shirley Conran, 1975

"You turn if you want to...The LADY is NOT for turning!"...Margaret
    Thatcher, 1980

Last Online

06.12.15 @ 12:43 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by dibblekins View Post
    But what does it stand for? (And what's a Roland SDE-3000?)
    stands for digital delay, and thats what a sde-3000 is

http://guitargeek.com/gearview/499/
    I SURVIVED TEXAS LINKERS WEEKEND I, II, III, IV and VI and VII.barely made it to VIII time to slow down
    I musta had a broken middle finger for V
    http://www.youtube.com/user/daneph

Last Online

12.14.17 @ 09:23 PM
    Liked 93 Times in 37 Posts

I think it's cute that the non-guitar players want this DDLS to stand for Drop Dead Legs Solo. I mean that in the nicest way. And of course I hope like everyone else that they play that song this time around. Just to further explain to the others, Ed would really not have an item on his switcher for that particular song. Yes I see "Cathedral" sitting there right beside it but that's a unique case since he has always used specific delay settings for that song/solo. Not to belittle it since it's great, but the Drop Dead Legs solo on the album is pretty much just a variation of his classic six pack tone. I think those of us in the guitar room pretty much know that he is not going to have his classic six pack guitar tone live on this tour. If he did have that live tone he wouldn't label it for a particular song, he would use it on basically every song they play. Unfortunately he will probably have that high gain, dry, cocked wah type of tone again. On the last leg of the 07/08 tour his tone sounded a little bit better with less of that pronounced midrange hump. Who knows where he is now three years later with his live tone, his hearing, his personal preferences, etc. If his playing is stellar it will eclipse any personal dislike of his guitar tone.

I do however plan on enjoying the songs themselves and will not try to dwell on the guitar tone too much as that ship has sailed long ago. Hopefully the overall sound reinforcement will be much better this time around.

Last Online

12.03.17 @ 11:54 AM
    Liked 35 Times in 15 Posts

DDLS could mean something like "digital delay longer setting". Who knows.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

12.08.17 @ 06:54 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by donkost View Post
    I think it's cute that the non-guitar players want this DDLS to stand for Drop Dead Legs Solo. I mean that in the nicest way. And of course I hope like everyone else that they play that song this time around. Just to further explain to the others, Ed would really not have an item on his switcher for that particular song. Yes I see "Cathedral" sitting there right beside it but that's a unique case since he has always used specific delay settings for that song/solo. Not to belittle it since it's great, but the Drop Dead Legs solo on the album is pretty much just a variation of his classic six pack tone. I think those of us in the guitar room pretty much know that he is not going to have his classic six pack guitar tone live on this tour. If he did have that live tone he wouldn't label it for a particular song, he would use it on basically every song they play. Unfortunately he will probably have that high gain, dry, cocked wah type of tone again. On the last leg of the 07/08 tour his tone sounded a little bit better with less of that pronounced midrange hump. Who knows where he is now three years later with his live tone, his hearing, his personal preferences, etc. If his playing is stellar it will eclipse any personal dislike of his guitar tone.

I do however plan on enjoying the songs themselves and will not try to dwell on the guitar tone too much as that ship has sailed long ago. Hopefully the overall sound reinforcement will be much better this time around.
    thinking back on it now, with all those stories and utube vids of ed being pissed at the sound crew over his mon/mix during 2007, i wonder how much of this mon/mix problem could be attributed to his crappy/nasally/trebly guitar amp stage tone and volume that was bleeding thru the mon/mix. and then, as you said, his tone got a little better in 2008, and he seemed a bit happier with the stage mon/mix.

as a guitar player, i know we get a little too focused on our "sacred guitar tone"....and can drive sound people crazy. once i started doing sound for my band, i grew up a little. i bet ed is the biggest pain in the ass that has ever existed.

Last Online

12.14.17 @ 09:23 PM
    Liked 93 Times in 37 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bsm40 View Post
    as a guitar player, i know we get a little too focused on our "sacred guitar tone"....and can drive sound people crazy. once i started doing sound for my band, i grew up a little. i bet ed is the biggest pain in the ass that has ever existed.
    Man, ain't that the truth! If I would have been practicing all of the time I've spent screwing around with various guitars, amps, and pedalboard effects I would be freakin' EVH/Vai/Satch rolled into one. I guess when you get down to it, if you have one reliable guitar (and a backup for live shows), one good tube amp, maybe a few key stomp boxes, and you play the right notes/chords, most people in the crowd are going to think it sounds great. It's a lot of fun however playing around with all of these devices and twisting knobs. I'm already 47 but I plan on growing up in the next 10 years or so. LOL

Regarding your last statement, I've heard second hand info over the years from people who work in sound reinforcement (grunts basically) and the general consensus is that Ed is one of the biggest prima donnas out there. Any of us might act the same way if we were in his shoes. We don't have to work directly with him though, we just need to enjoy his songwriting and playing talents.