Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
    Last Online

12.11.15 @ 10:08 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default The World According To Sammy Hagar

Thought it might be useful to put this here since it deals with "Red" and VH.

From Classic Rock magazine, July 2011 Issue 159

With the publication of his sensational new autobiography, Sammy Hagar lets rip about flash cars, fad diets, Van Halen...and what else could be ‘out there’. – Mick Wall

The eye-opening new Sammy Hagar autobiography, Red: My Uncensored Life in Rock, is one of the books of the year. A New York Times No.1 bestseller, Hagar writes frankly about his life and career, revealing toe-curling stories behind his time with Montrose and Van Halen, as a solo artist and of course, most recently with Chickenfoot.

He also speaks honestly about his early life – his dad was the town drunk; his mum was a saint – and even more astonishingly about his belief in extraterrestrial life, sparked by a childhood incident in which he claims to have had his brain hooked up to some alien intelligence “through some kind of mysterious wireless connection”.

Classic Rock took the opportunity to sit down with the singer to discuss some important life lessons...

A DRUNKEN FATHER AND A BROKEN HOME IS NO BARRIER TO SUCCESS
    I thought my dad could beat up anybody, and my mom always made sure there was food on the table. As long as there’s that love and attention then you can grow up poor but your head will still be in a beautiful place.
    The other thing that pulled me out was getting fortune and fame one step at a time. If Montrose had made it big time and I’d become a zillionaire, I probably wouldn’t have gone so far and been where I am today. But when I made my first dollar, I was so excited that I didn’t wanna abuse it. I didn’t wanna go buy dope with it. I was like, “I’m gonna go buy a cool pair of shoes. I’m gonna be a star!” I was so focused on getting to where I wanted to be that every little taste of fame and fortune I got along the way kept me on the straight and narrow. Then pretty soon you become it and it’s just what you do.

YOUR GUITARIST REALLY DOESN’T HAVE TO BE CRAZY
    I don’t think it’s important at all for a guitarist to be crazy. You can say that all you want. Ronnie Montrose and Eddie Van Halen both have quirky little problems in dealing with other people. But then you’ve got a genius like Joe Satriani ho’s better than both of them put together – very, very opinionated, very, very passive-aggressive, but has no quirks like that. There won’t be any trips. Eddie will come at you from the back, say “Oh sure, great, yeah!” Then he’ll tell somebody, “I hate this man!”

THE FRICTION BETWEEN THE SINGER AND GUITARIST DOES NOT SPARK CREATIVITY
    I don’t think the music has anything to do with that friction. That’s all managers and producers trying to get these people to carry on working together, telling them that friction’s good between Pete Townsend and Roger Daltrey. The best music came from all of these people in the early days. The last Zeppelin record wasn’t the best. The last Montrose certainly wasn’t the best. And the last Van Halen record wasn’t the best.
    But there’s no singer on the planet that’s not a leader, and there’s no guitar player in the world that’s not a leader, either. Once one takes over, the other guy starts putting out shabby work and says: “Okay, I don’t care any more. Fuck it, this is your trip.” And then the other guy takes over and starts being self-indulgent. It happens every time and it’ll probably happen again in Chickenfoot!

DAVID LEE ROTH WAS AN EASY ACT TO FOLLOW
    I had more experience under my belt when I joined Van Halen in 1985 than they had. They’d been together seven years making records. I had been around 10 years before that. They were like “Wow, here’s a professional”. I knew how to sing, I knew what Eddie was playing. I knew which keys things were in, and the arrangement of the music. Eddie really got off on that, because he never had a musical partner with Dave. He just had this guy who said “Hey, don’t worry about it. Just wear these clothes and run about on stage.” Eddie’s going, “I wanna be a musician. I don’t wanna be a clown.”
    It was their father, Jan Van Halen, who really tripped on me. He was there from the beginning, sitting around having a cigarette, drinking a beer with his sons. And he told Ed, “This guy sings like I play clarinet”. So we got down to making music, forgot about how we were dressing and from there just jumped over the moon!
    It was unbelievable chemistry until eight years into it. The ninth year, it really got rough. The tenth year there was no more. And the [2004] reunion was a mess. We never got back to that beginning that I loved so much. You crave that in your life. That’s more addictive than any drug, that kind of fame and fortune and success – without even trying.

THERE IS NO RIGHT WAY TO MAKE A HIT RECORD
    I’m recording with Chickenfoot right now and everybody’s talking about how if we had one hit on our second record it would explode us. And I’m going, “Well, tell me what a hit is and I’ll write one!” It’s more luck than anything, unless you’re a craftsman like Hall & Oates in their day. But even before you discover that formula, what it is, is luck.
    And it’s not always the greatest recording. It’s not always the greatest take. The Stones have some pretty raunchy hits that, if you pick apart, no one’s really playing fantastically. It’s really about the magic and the luck of hitting upon it. The Trogg’s Wild Thing – come on! That’s one of the worst recordings ever. With Van Halen we just went into the studio, laughing, drinking, having a good time and came out with a [Number One] record like 5150. That’s not a job. We never had a job in Van Halen. It was a dream come true.

IT IS JUST AS DIFFICULT TO MAKE A BAD RECORD AS A GOOD ONE
    A bad lyric will usually bite you in the ass before the record’s done. Sometimes I’ll be writing a song and I’ll think it was funny or clever, but then a month or two into the recording you find you’re hitting fast-forward when that song comes on. The only golden rule in a hard rock band is not to get too schmaltzy. You don’t wanna talk about the moon and June and how I kiss you like the sea. Other than that, there’s no chord change that’s wrong. You can stay in one key; you just gotta make sure it’s grooving. Off-key singing? I’ve seen people get away with that. I’ve heard some pretty bad guitar solos, too.

THERE’S NOTHING WRONG WITH RELYING ON DOING COVER VERSIONS
    When you’ve got 60,000 people there and you bust into something like Whole Lotta Love, every one of those people goes crazy. It’s the cheapest trick in the world and I use it all the time. Especially if you’re playing on a big festival and maybe 20 percent of the people are there to actually see you. You go for the biggest band in the world and the greatest rock’n’roll song of all time – bust it out, and it blows everybody’s mind. And people in the back row, for all they know it is Led Zeppelin out there. Once you create that environment where they’re all screaming and crying and their fists are in the air, you got ‘em.

YOU NEED TO OWN AT LEAST ONE SET OF ROCK-STAR WHEELS
    When I was about four years old, I used to stand up in the back seat of my dad’s car as he’d drive down the road. My dad would say: “What kind of car’s that, son?” I’d go: “A ’51 Buick.” Later, I’d ride my bike up to the Ford or Chevy dealership to see the new cars when they came out, looking through the window at the speedometer.
    As soon as I got some money, I bought a car. I got a $5,100 royalty check; I bought a $5,000 Porsche. As I got more money, I got more cars. I have maybe about 18,20 cars now. I get mad because I don’t have time to drive ‘em all, so I do stupid things. Like I’ll drive one of them off to the studio and switch it and drive another one back. Then do it again the next day and switch again.
    My favourite car is a 599 Fiorano Ferrari, it’s two years old and it’s the fastest, most gorgeous, most agile. It stops better, it goes around corners better...i have a Daytona, a 512 Boxer and a 275 GTS, and it smokes ‘em. It’s black with a red stripe down the middle, and it’s got a red interior with black stitiching. My friend Lucca, who bought Cabo Wabo [Hagar’s tequila company] frome me, he’s on the board of directors for Ferrari. It was a three-year waiting list and a $200,000 premium to buy one of these cars, and I said, “Lucca, can you help me out?” It was delivered on my birthday with a note: “This car was made for Sammy Hagar...” Forget the money I got for the tequila, knowing Lucca changed my life [laughs].

DON’T GIVE YOUR MONEY TO STRANGERS
    Invest in yourself. Don’t invest in other people that say: “Hey, give me a million dollars and I’ll make you five million dollars back.” That very seldom happens. The first thing they do is take care of their own wallet. If you have the brains to make your own money from making music, then you have the ability to make it some other way. Use that same creativity to start a business. But do it yourself – don’t let somebody screw you.
    If I told the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth about what I've gone through over the last 20 odd years, what it took to finally get where I am, people just wouldn't fucking believe it. So it's pointless. I now realize that I can't change people's minds, and I really don't want to or need to try. I'm at peace with it, and that's all that matters. - Edward Van Halen

Last Online

12.11.15 @ 10:08 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Continued...

SOME DIETS REALLY DO WORK
    In my 30s I was into the Haas, this high-octane diet that made you into a machine; just burns fat and turns everything into lean muscle. I could run up my [local] mountain to the top and back, which is eight-and-half-miles, and two-and-a-half miles steep. I would run it during a break from rehearsal and hardly break a sweat, hardly be breathing hard. It just gives you this work out thing that’s killing.
    So I was getting real confident – I’d kick anybody’s ass! All the athletes that were champions in their field at the time were doing it and I was probably the only rock star doing it. You get your fat content down to about nine or 10 percent, and your blood is just flying through your body carrying oxygen. But you can only do it for seven years. After that your body reacts and you start gaining weight and you don’t know why.

THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE
    The whole thing with aliens, when that came upon me, the ‘dream’ that I speak about in the book, I started looking into it, started reading books on alien encounters. I became a believer and I still am a huge believer, and I think anyone that thinks that we are the only life in this universe is crazy. Those are the crazy people! Not the guys going around saying, “I went up in a rocket ship.”
    It’s easier for me to talk about it now. Twenty years ago you were tagged as crazy and you could lose your job and your friends for it. Nowadays the whole world’s getting smarter and they realise it’s a complex universe with wormholes and black holes. That there’s tons of possibilities for travel between dimensions. The human race is still dropping bombs on each other and killing the planet, that’s how ignorant we are. Imagine how sophisticated someone could be that’s a couple of thousand years older than us. I think the possibilities are just vast and it really intrigues me.

IT IS BETTER TO BELIEVE IN GOD...
    Religious groups want you to believe in a defined God and say its Heaven and Hell; we have the key for you, so give us your money and we’ll save you. Yet churches have probably caused more wars than anything on the planet. I think the fear of going to Hell, or the fear of betraying God, is one of the things that keeps us sane.

...AND GHOSTS
    [Hagar once recounted another ‘dream’ he had in which his father was banging on his door in the middle of the night, trying to get in to see him. But he was drunk and Hagar refused. When the door started banging again, Hagar answered the door, only to be met by a neighbour who told him his sister was on the phone with the news that his father – actually hundreds of miles away – had died.]
    The craziest thing about it was that I really feel like I should have let him in. In the dream I slammed the door and said get out of here, and don’t ever come back, y’know? ‘Cause I was mad at him for being so crazy with my little baby there in the room.
    No w I just sit there and go, “Why didn’t I let him in? Come on in, Pop,” you know? What would have happened? People say is there anything you would ever change? Naw, I wouldn’t change anything, man. Everything’s just about as good as it could possibly be. But I would have liked to have let my dad in that night.
    If I told the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth about what I've gone through over the last 20 odd years, what it took to finally get where I am, people just wouldn't fucking believe it. So it's pointless. I now realize that I can't change people's minds, and I really don't want to or need to try. I'm at peace with it, and that's all that matters. - Edward Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

Complete Zero
    Favorite VH Song

Lets Get Rockin
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 02:06 PM
    Liked 1,863 Times in 732 Posts

Donor

DAVID LEE ROTH WAS AN EASY ACT TO FOLLOW
    I had more experience under my belt when I joined Van Halen in 1985 than they had. They’d been together seven years making records. I had been around 10 years before that. They were like “Wow, here’s a professional”. I knew how to sing, I knew what Eddie was playing. I knew which keys things were in, and the arrangement of the music. Eddie really got off on that, because he never had a musical partner with Dave. He just had this guy who said “Hey, don’t worry about it. Just wear these clothes and run about on stage.” Eddie’s going, “I wanna be a musician. I don’t wanna be a clown.”
    It was their father, Jan Van Halen, who really tripped on me. He was there from the beginning, sitting around having a cigarette, drinking a beer with his sons. And he told Ed, “This guy sings like I play clarinet”. So we got down to making music, forgot about how we were dressing and from there just jumped over the moon!
    It was unbelievable chemistry until eight years into it. The ninth year, it really got rough. The tenth year there was no more. And the [2004] reunion was a mess. We never got back to that beginning that I loved so much. You crave that in your life. That’s more addictive than any drug, that kind of fame and fortune and success – without even trying.

This is the biggest bunch of BS. I won't argue that Dave at that point was a "professional musician" but to say he was an easy act to follow is total BS. You are replacing one of the biggest front men in the biggest rock n roll band of that era, don't tell me that was easy.
    Also note to Sam, you may have been around longer but VH and DLR were way more popular.
    I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass.

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 03:05 PM
    Liked 2,390 Times in 1,492 Posts

Premium Member

Lots of good ideas and fodder for talk. Overall I like Sammy and wish I have his energy at his age.
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 03:11 PM
    Liked 11,600 Times in 4,945 Posts

Um I don't think that was Sam's point who was more popular. All he said was he'd been around longer than VH, so he'd be doing it longer than they had. Which is true. And yeah I do think he's a better "musician" than Dave. I think a lot of guys are far better musicians than Dave. Dave had a cool niche he created for himself, and used what he did have to the fullest.

It may not have been easy, and you may not like the product, but Van Halen with Sam kept the ball rolling, so maybe it was easy for him. Whatever it was they were able to sustain popularity, sell records, garner #1 albums, and play sold-out shows.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Runnin' With the Devil
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 34 Times in 14 Posts

Interesting stuff per usual from Sammy. After reading this interview, it is easy for me to see how Red (the autobiography) was written. Just hit record and ask Sammy a question. That said, I still wish the book had explored more details. Maybe that is more Joel Selvin's (co-author) doing than it is Sammy's for just letting Sammy blather without asking follow-ups or details.

Favorite VH Album

1984 / 5150
    Favorite VH Song

the ones with ed on them.
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 02:42 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    Um I don't think that was Sam's point who was more popular. All he said was he'd been around longer than VH, so he'd be doing it longer than they had. Which is true. And yeah I do think he's a better "musician" than Dave. I think a lot of guys are far better musicians than Dave. Dave had a cool niche he created for himself, and used what he did have to the fullest.

It may not have been easy, and you may not like the product, but Van Halen with Sam kept the ball rolling, so maybe it was easy for him. Whatever it was they were able to sustain popularity, sell records, garner #1 albums, and play sold-out shows.
    Totally agreed.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"20 minutes (late to work)? Shit. Last year I woke up three weeks too late.
    My advice is to go for the alien abduction story. Look bemused, dishevelled and on the verge of tears as you recount your story of intrusive and degrading medical tests.
    Worked for me anyway. I still have colleagues asking me what it is like to fuck a green womanoid with seventeen breasts.
    Alternatively just walk in and inform everyone that alcoholism is indeed a disease and that they should be less judgemental and perhaps a little more supportive."
    - graeme on the addiction to this place.

"something tells me that after the nuclear holocaust, there'll be twinkies, cockroaches, and a dave vs. sammy argument going on somewhere".
    - han valen, 6.11.04

"in my best "saw" scary movie voice: "oh, yes, there will be beagles."
    - hatchetforce, 6.7.06

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 01:42 PM
    Liked 18,184 Times in 8,987 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sickman View Post
    This is the biggest bunch of BS. I won't argue that Dave at that point was a "professional musician" but to say he was an easy act to follow is total BS. You are replacing one of the biggest front men in the biggest rock n roll band of that era, don't tell me that was easy.
    Also note to Sam, you may have been around longer but VH and DLR were way more popular.
    Popularity wise DLR might not have been an easy act to follow, but c'mon, I prefer DLR, but I don't think it can be argued that Sam is a better technical singer, a much better guitar player, and has more success outside of VH than DLR.

From Sam's point of view as a singer/songwriter, I am sure he didn't feel that it was too hard to replace DLR. Sammy was already playing arenas with Montrose and solo, and I am sure he was more than confident in his own live act in comparison to Dave's.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

VHII
    Favorite VH Song

Light up the Sky
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 06:41 AM
    Liked 193 Times in 97 Posts

VH with DLR was the shit from 1978 - 1984. When Sammy joined the band alot of us (me included) didn't care for Sam, and jumped ship. For Sam to say that was "easy" is a f-ing joke (no telling how many fans left because of Sammy). It was Eddie's writing that kept the band going, not Sammy's cheezy lyrics and experience.

I agree that Sammy is a better musician (guitarist/ vocal range), but Dave had much better lyrics and attitude than Sammy ever brought to the VH table.
    ~ I like the way the line runs up the back of her stockings ~

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

Again with the lyrics.

LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 1,374 Times in 803 Posts

"THE FRICTION BETWEEN THE SINGER AND GUITARIST DOES NOT SPARK CREATIVITY
    I don’t think the music has anything to do with that friction. That’s all managers and producers trying to get these people to carry on working together, telling them that friction’s good between Pete Townsend and Roger Daltrey. The best music came from all of these people in the early days. The last Zeppelin record wasn’t the best. The last Montrose certainly wasn’t the best. And the last Van Halen record wasn’t the best.
    But there’s no singer on the planet that’s not a leader, and there’s no guitar player in the world that’s not a leader, either. Once one takes over, the other guy starts putting out shabby work and says: “Okay, I don’t care any more. Fuck it, this is your trip.” And then the other guy takes over and starts being self-indulgent. It happens every time and it’ll probably happen again in Chickenfoot!"

There's some stuff in the OP that get the ol'e from me....typical Sammy, but I totally agree with this. Happens on just about every level of success too. As a band gets better and gains more notoriety coming up, or a great successful band reaches a certain plateau, ego, self indulgence, and subservience by other members to avoid confrontations have ruined countless bands, or at the very least forced a band to have taken a different direction that throws the audience a curve ball. Basically when the bullshit starts getting flung into the fan, everyone gets covered!

Happened in VH more than a couple times.
    Last edited by we die young; 07.18.11 at 11:31 AM.

Favorite VH Album

5150-Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

12.22.16 @ 01:39 PM
    Liked 30 Times in 21 Posts

OMG. if sammy says DLR was an easy act to follow, it was. It is his opinion, and nobody else's matter. They didnt miss a beat when sam took over.

Good Enough
    Last Online

05.15.16 @ 10:48 PM
    Liked 164 Times in 76 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by we die young View Post
    "THE FRICTION BETWEEN THE SINGER AND GUITARIST DOES NOT SPARK CREATIVITY
    But there’s no singer on the planet that’s not a leader, and there’s no guitar player in the world that’s not a leader, either. Once one takes over, the other guy starts putting out shabby work and says: “Okay, I don’t care any more. Fuck it, this is your trip.” And then the other guy takes over and starts being self-indulgent. It happens every time and it’ll probably happen again in Chickenfoot!"

There's some stuff in the OP that get the ol'e from me....typical Sammy, but I totally agree with this. Happens on just about every level of success too. As a band gets better and gains more notoriety coming up, or a great successful band reaches a certain plateau, ego, self indulgence, and subservience by other members to avoid confrontations have ruined countless bands, or at the very least forced a band to have taken a different direction that throws the audience a curve ball. Basically when the bullshit starts getting flung into the fan, everyone gets covered!

Happened in VH more than a couple times.
    I thought that was an interesting take, too. Everyone credits the friction between Eddie and Dave as the key to the driving, dark tone of Fair Warning, but if that held true, Diver Down would've been as good. (Unless they kissed and made up by then.)

I agree with Sam. I think the best work is produced when a band is hungry (excited) and has chemistry, not when the members can't stand to be in the same room together.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 05:21 AM
    Liked 4,810 Times in 2,455 Posts

Premium Member

Well honestly I think Sammy believes following DLR was no big thing now. However in 1986, I think it was a different story. I know after 25 years, DLR and VH are mere shells of their former self. For older people here, it is similar to watching Ali get his ass handed to him by Larry Holmes. However I think people do forget how large Dave and his persona was in 1985/86. I mean he was so large, Warner Brothers wanted the band to change their name. The band didn't put out a video for the album. I can't remember exactly but they either didn't play Jump or they used a person from the crowd to sing it.

Anyway's the band at least were aware of Dave's presence. Not sure if Sammy was getting out voted 3-1 or just decided to go with the flow cause he was new. He may be telling the truth but I think in 86, he may have given a different answer. However after the Sam and Dave tour, he was going "who is this chump?" and now isn't threatened by him or his legacy anymore.

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

4 successful studio albums with Hagar after Van Halen was pretty much ruling at least North America is not exactly taking the place of an 'amateur' when Dave was gone. In many ways, considering how many prefer one era over another, I think VH cracked an audience that was just starting to get tapped by tunes like Jump and I'll Wait.

In many ways, comparing the two eras is a lot like comparing apples to oranges, ya just can't do it.
    11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.