VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Default Carbon Fibre guitar parts!

I have just done a bit of work for a friend of mine who manufactures Carbon Fibre parts for the motor industry (Jaguar, Aston Martin, Bently etc) and as a result of a little conversation we have decided to colaborate and begin manufacturing and selling Carbon Fibre Guitar parts; scratch plates, pickup rings, cavity covers etc. I'm expecting the first samples next weekend so pics will be posted as soon as i get them in, also we'll be selling blanks ready for a customer to cut and fit themselves. we'll also (hopefully) be doing custom orders. all parts will be multy-ply motorsport grade carbon fibre fullu cured (unless stated) and laquered (unless stated).

the reason for this thread is to guage interest. would any of you guys be interested in such parts for custom builds?...i can't quote prices just yet but we're expecting to keep prices as low as possible so expect (roughly) $25 for a pre-cut strat scratchplate, and $20 for a 2'x2' sheet of uncut pre-laquered carbon fibre.

Tom
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Last Online

08.07.17 @ 08:14 PM
    Liked 313 Times in 149 Posts

Donor

Even though I'm not doin' a custom build or anything, it sounds pretty damned cool... Motorsports, carbon fibre, guitars... Yup, pretty sweet...

On a serious note, I wonder how a carbon fibre guitar pick would work out??? Hint: I use .50 size...
    Jet City Super Stealth
    Marshall 50th Anniversary JCM-1H and Class 5 Combo
    Austin Speaker Works KTS-60

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by fast98dodge View Post
    Even though I'm not doin' a custom build or anything, it sounds pretty damned cool... Motorsports, carbon fibre, guitars... Yup, pretty sweet...

On a serious note, I wonder how a carbon fibre guitar pick would work out??? Hint: I use .50 size...
    good idea. I'll have some knockedup and see how they work out, i get the feeling that they'd be better f they were slightly thicker than .5 because of how brittle carbon fibre can be, i'd hate if someone snapped on and ended up with splinters, if they work i'll send you a few though.

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Whoa, this is heavy! Jedi McFly's Avatar
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 04:20 PM
    Liked 2,861 Times in 1,072 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Very interested in this! I have a few friends who would be as well. We'd actually talked about this before but never looked into how to actually do it.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi McFly View Post
    Very interested in this! I have a few friends who would be as well. We'd actually talked about this before but never looked into how to actually do it.
    so far we're looking at Strat's, Tele's, LP's, LP Juniors, Yamaha Pacifica 112v's, ES 335's. the full kit will include scrate plates, cavity covers, truss rod covers plus any other parts that are model specific. hopefully we'll be offering custom shapes too if people send us templates. once i get my samples (for my new Strat build) i'll be sending out a few test kits to random people see what the skinny is, then, once we're happy with the fit and overal quality of the parts we'll be going into full production. one thing i want is for all these parts to be of the highest quality possible with the lowest price possible (hence the sample parts randomly sent out)

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Do you have an example picture of what the finished surfaces look like? Because if it's anything like the textured auto parts I've seen, it should look amazing! There will definitely be interest in something like this.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by mrjstudios View Post
    Do you have an example picture of what the finished surfaces look like? Because if it's anything like the textured auto parts I've seen, it should look amazing! There will definitely be interest in something like this.
    i should have samples by next weekend and i will upload full close-up pics. the carbon is EXACTLY what is used by Aston Martin on the new one-77 model as well as their racing cars (it's made in the same place by the same people and even baked in the same oven/autoclave)

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Last Online

Donor

I'm loving what Aston Martin is putting out lately... The One-77 and the new Zagato just has me drooling all over myself...

Back to guitars, yeah, I would totally be interested in picks and give 'em some abuse...
    Jet City Super Stealth

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Just as a head's up to you guys, and not that it would matter on some parts, but depending on the "mix" done on the composite, CF parts can either be very conductive or somewhat conductive for electricity...just figured I'd throw that tidbit out there.
    11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Last Online

Donor

I would guess since Tom's buddy's company makes stuff for exotic car manufacturers, they are more than likely aware of potential pitfalls of carbon fiber and guitars... But that's cool that you're thinkin' ahead and throwing that out... BTW, I had no idea some mixes of carbon fiber were conductive...
    Jet City Super Stealth

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

So this is love?
    Last Online

01.01.13 @ 04:06 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

For those of you who own or have played a Parker guitar, (which are just INSANE by-the-way), the necks on those guitars are reinforced with carbon fiber to increase the rigidity of the neck. Especially the point at which the neck meets the body. I used to work with Ken Parker well before they were bought by Korg, Intíl and I was unsure of the whole carbon fiber thing but once I felt the difference, it was pretty amazing.
    "It doesn't mean that much to me to mean that much to you..." -Neil Young

"The sun's not yellow, it's chicken." -Bob Dylan

"If you go out and buy a Van Halen record and put it in your collection, it'll melt your other records." -David Lee Roth, 1981.

Guy of Gisborne: Why a spoon, cousin? Why not an axe?
    Sheriff of Nottingham: Because it's DULL, you twit!!! It'll HURT MORE!!!

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

the first sample of CF is here, and i have to say that i'm very impressed, it's 4 ply motorsport grade carbon fibre it may only be 0.05" thick but i POUNDED it with a claw hammer to test it's strength and it didn't even scratch!!. the piece i have here right now is a test piece for me to evaluate the feasability of sending out 2'x2' sections for customers to shape themselves, so i will be attempting to cut some cavity covers later today and report back. for now here's a pic to show how straight the weave is...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	22072011406.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	59.3 KB 
ID:	1398   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	22072011407.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	58.5 KB 
ID:	1399   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	22072011403.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	54.2 KB 
ID:	1400  

Favorite VH Album

1984 / 5150
    Favorite VH Song

the ones with ed on them.
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 02:42 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by tommywho5150 View Post
    the first sample of CF is here, and i have to say that i'm very impressed, it's 4 ply motorsport grade carbon fibre it may only be 0.05" thick but i POUNDED it with a claw hammer to test it's strength and it didn't even scratch!!. the piece i have here right now is a test piece for me to evaluate the feasability of sending out 2'x2' sections for customers to shape themselves, so i will be attempting to cut some cavity covers later today and report back. for now here's a pic to show how straight the weave is...
    That's awesome, mate! Not to burst the bubble here but RainSong beat you guys to the punch. And, yes, I've played quite a few (wish I owned one) and they sound fantastic...AND play like a dream:

http://www.rainsong.com/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"20 minutes (late to work)? Shit. Last year I woke up three weeks too late.
    My advice is to go for the alien abduction story. Look bemused, dishevelled and on the verge of tears as you recount your story of intrusive and degrading medical tests.
    Worked for me anyway. I still have colleagues asking me what it is like to fuck a green womanoid with seventeen breasts.
    Alternatively just walk in and inform everyone that alcoholism is indeed a disease and that they should be less judgemental and perhaps a little more supportive."
    - graeme on the addiction to this place.

"something tells me that after the nuclear holocaust, there'll be twinkies, cockroaches, and a dave vs. sammy argument going on somewhere".
    - han valen, 6.11.04

"in my best "saw" scary movie voice: "oh, yes, there will be beagles."
    - hatchetforce, 6.7.06

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by sixstring View Post
    That's awesome, mate! Not to burst the bubble here but RainSong beat you guys to the punch. And, yes, I've played quite a few (wish I owned one) and they sound fantastic...AND play like a dream:

http://www.rainsong.com/

oddly enough, when the stuff was dropped round to me i was amazed at how resonant it was! It certainly doesn't surprise me that someone has made an acoustic guitar out of it. Sadly i'm in no way geared up for anything like that right now, just scratchplates and cavity covers..lol
    but thanks for the link mate, certainly interesting.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

10.16.17 @ 11:43 AM
    Liked 17 Times in 10 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by fast98dodge View Post
    I had no idea some mixes of carbon fiber were conductive...
    ...and flammable!
    "Here's to swimmin' with bow legged women."
    Quint- Boat Captain
    --------------------------------------------------

"As God as my witness...I thought turkeys could fly"
    Arthur Carlson- Radio Station GM
    --------------------------------------------------

"I think you're all fucked in the head. We're ten hours from the fucking fun park, and you wanna bail out! Well, I'll tell you something, this is no longer a vacation . . . it's a quest! It's a quest for fun! I'm gonna have fun, and you're gonna have fun! We're all gonna have so much fucking fun we'll need plastic surgery to remove our Goddamn smiles! You'll be whistling Zip-a-dee-doo-da out of your assholes! "
    Clark W. Griswold- Food Additive Designer
    ---------------------------------------------------

VIVA TEXAS LINKERS WEEKEND!
    Round I = Done!
    Round II = Done!
    Round III = Done!
    Round IV = Done!
    Round V = Done!
    Round VI = Done!
    Round VII = Done!
    Round VIII = Done!