Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Default Used Gear Websites

I've been doing a ton of searching lately for some new (used) pieces of gear for my studio, and I've been losing a little patience with eBay and Craig's List (mainly because the items I'm looking for come up only occasionally). Can anyone recommend other reliable sites to check out for used gear?

Last Online

12.10.17 @ 08:16 PM
    Liked 93 Times in 37 Posts

This is an obvious choice and you've probably already thought of it, but there is Guitar Center's used gear web site at used.guitarcenter.com. You can search their entire national inventory online.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 11,541 Times in 4,916 Posts

HAHA I never knew that existed. And you know all that stuff is gonna be way overpriced.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Last Online

Sure, probably going to cost more than someone trying to unload gear on Craigslist. I've never used it to buy anything but figured I'd mention it. If nothing more it should give a good idea about what's out there if he's looking for something particular. Plus I know I've read people post that they've gotten terrific in-store deals on used gear at Guitar Center stores. They want to move gear just like car dealers want to move iron off their lots.

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

It's good to at least be able to check out GC's used inventory. We have three (four?) in the Twin Cities area, and I never go to any of them anymore. I might actually consider going if they have a piece of gear I want.

I was looking into audio interfaces. My tracking studio has been all analog from Day One--operating with any number of different tape machines. More and more those tracks go into the computer; sometimes for mixing, always for mastering. But the time came for a multi-channel digital solution. I'll still operate my analog console, pre-amps, and compressors, but the recording will now be to hard drive. I narrowed it down to two options for interfaces: the Echo Audiofire 12 (firewire--two of them for 24 analog ins and outs) or the Echo Layla (PCI--three of them for 24 analog ins and outs). I was leaning heavily toward the Audiofire 12 because it offered the option of eventually upgrading to 192 khz. The thing is, firewire is already on the way out. The second generation Layla 24/96 was better suited for my studio than was their new 3G version; moreover, it was cheaper used and would (theoretically) operate better with the XP machine I'll be using it (them) on for about the next two years. So I made the decision that was right for NOW, rather than try and predict what I'll need in a few years. I landed a Layla 24/96 on eBay a couple of days ago for a great price. The plan is to get two more. Echo isn't a huge company, and there stuff is known to be ridiculously reliable. That's two reasons why used ones don't pop up in excess. I was hoping to scour as many used gear websites as possible so as to get all three units sooner than later. I can't find many others besides eBay and Craig's List, though.

Last Online

I just like looking at the used GC site since I dream of one day picking up a 1960AX or 1960TV Marshall cab used in great condition. With private sales involving cabs of Greenback speakers I'm concerned the speakers will be blown to shit. Of course you could hear that on a test run, but GC has a pretty open policy on returning used gear. One guy who used to be here (the infamous al3d from quebec, remember him? lol) had a pic of a 1960TV cab with his gear and I've never actually encountered anyone owning/using one. Maybe even a 1960BX, that would be cool, but not at the new price!

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by donkost View Post
    I just like looking at the used GC site since I dream of one day picking up a 1960AX or 1960TV Marshall cab used in great condition. With private sales involving cabs of Greenback speakers I'm concerned the speakers will be blown to shit. Of course you could hear that on a test run, but GC has a pretty open policy on returning used gear. One guy who used to be here (the infamous al3d from quebec, remember him? lol) had a pic of a 1960TV cab with his gear and I've never actually encountered anyone owning/using one. Maybe even a 1960BX, that would be cool, but not at the new price!
    i think he may be selling that cab, i'll ask him. I know he came accross on here as an asshat and to be honest i had my fair share of crap with him, but we are friends on Facebook and he's a fairly decent dude unless you mention Van Halen to him!...he and his wife just had a kid so i'm assuming thats the reason for the sale.
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Last Online

Yeah I had some pm's with him and for the most part he seemed ok. He did like to yank people's chains a bit in the open forums. Well, shipping from Quebec to Pennsylvania would be brutal and I'm not quite ready yet anyway, but thanks for mentioning it. I'm hoping to eventually source one local enough that I can just pick it up in the ol' SUV. Plus a 412 cab is large enough that I'm going to have to think about how I can explain to my wife that it's been here for years. ha

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by donkost View Post
    Yeah I had some pm's with him and for the most part he seemed ok. He did like to yank people's chains a bit in the open forums. Well, shipping from Quebec to Pennsylvania would be brutal and I'm not quite ready yet anyway, but thanks for mentioning it. I'm hoping to eventually source one local enough that I can just pick it up in the ol' SUV. Plus a 412 cab is large enough that I'm going to have to think about how I can explain to my wife that it's been here for years. ha
    i snuck my last one into the house, removed the stand from the aquarium and threw a black sheet over it then replaced the aquarium...she didn't notice for over 3 months. so there's a tip for ya, hide them in plain view by disguising them as furniture!
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

06.21.15 @ 06:27 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

www.gbase.com isn't bad.. not a super huge chain of vendors in there, but you can find some good stuff.. mostly user gear from vintage shops scattered throughout the country.