Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
    Baluchitherium
    Last Online

10.01.15 @ 06:45 PM
    Liked 179 Times in 57 Posts

Default MA curious about new VH album and proud of CF

Saw this @ Blabbermouth.. Have read him quoted saying similar things b4 but this
    seems new.

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=159856

During a recent interview with Ultimate Classic Rock, former VAN HALEN and current CHICKENFOOT bassist Michael Anthony was asked for his thoughts on his old group's upcoming album, which is tentatively due this fall.

"Well, you know what?! As far as people saying, 'Do you miss VAN HALEN?' or any of that kind of stuff, I've totally moved on. Man, I am just in my total happy place right now. . . Yeah, I'm curious to see what they come out with, but there's no type of competitive type thing." He added, "It's funny, I go online, and see what the fans are saying, you know, 'Oh my God, it's gonna be VAN HALEN against CHICKENFOOT this year, both things coming out, and what's going to be better?' and blah blah blah. If they out put out a great album, that's great. I just know that ours is great, and I'm really proud of it."

Anthony hasn't spoken to any of the members of VAN HALEN since the end of the band's 2004 tour. He said earlier this year, "The tour did not end as harmoniously as we would have liked it to and it probably should have gone on longer than it did." Still, Anthony wouldn't be against having his band CHICKENFOOT open for VAN HALEN should they go on tour "I got no problem with that," he said.

Anthony last year said that Eddie and Alex Van Halen hold a grudge against him for maintaining a friendship with Sammy Hagar. Anthony recalled to Mojo, that the problems started between him and the band when in the late '90s, VAN HALEN once again tried unsuccessfully to bring David Lee Roth back into the fold. With VAN HALEN seemingly on hiatus, Hagar had called Anthony to see if he was interested in hooking up with him and Neal Schon in their side project PLANET US.

Anthony explained, "Some VAN HALEN fans say I left the band to hook up with Sammy, but I never said, 'I quit.' There was nothing going on in the VAN HALEN camp, but Eddie kinda backed me up against a wall. . . Eddie felt that I was a traitor. I helped hook Sammy back up with them for the 2004 reunion tour, but Eddie didn't want me to be a part of that originally, so I took a big pay cut. I'm not crying, I didn't need the money. I did that because I wanted to play for the fans. I signed away any legal rights I had with the name, the trademark or whatever. I did it because if that was the last time VAN HALEN would ever be on stage, I wanted to be part of it."

He went on to say, "The major reason why I'm not in VAN HALEN (now) is because I became friends with Sammy again. The Van Halen brothers never got over that. If they hold a grudge, they hold it forever."

During VAN HALEN's August 2007 press conference announcing their reunion tour with David Lee Roth and Eddie's son Wolfgang Van Halen on bass, Roth skirted over the issue of why a then-16 year old kid was playing bass instead of Anthony. "Michael Anthony is part of this band's history, " he said. "There's a lot of great alumni who have been through this band. I'm shocked that any of us are still vertical after 30 years. And as far as why Wolf is in the band, may I speak for you, Ed? I understand how he wanted to play with the boy because he's amazing."

Posted from mobile device.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 01:27 PM
    Liked 11,578 Times in 4,934 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by At0micPunk View Post
    Anthony explained, "Some VAN HALEN fans say I left the band to hook up with Sammy, but I never said, 'I quit.' There was nothing going on in the VAN HALEN camp, but Eddie kinda backed me up against a wall.
    I want to see the dumbass fans who think that.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:50 AM
    Liked 1,482 Times in 904 Posts

I don't blame Mike one bit for wanting to play a few tunes with Sammy during VH's hiatus.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Fools/All things Halenized
    Last Online

08.04.17 @ 11:33 PM
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts

Donor

Um, for the record I never said that.

Darn shame what happened to that VH.
    RIP - Classic Van Halen

"A lot of people take Van Halen more seriously than we do." The Diamond One

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 01:40 PM
    Liked 6,842 Times in 3,581 Posts

Premium Member

I don't care which vocalist you prefer, but true Van Halen died the day they showed mike the door. Plug and Play ever since the trio was sabotaged.

Carry on Mike. Roth back is one thing, but you gone is another.

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Number 47 View Post
    I don't care which vocalist you prefer, but true Van Halen died the day they showed mike the door. Plug and Play ever since the trio was sabotaged.

Bullseye.
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 01:27 PM
    Liked 11,578 Times in 4,934 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Number 47 View Post

Dead for me. Van Halen is just a name, it's not a band, and it hasn't been for a long time. Yeah I'm interested to hear the new music sure, but I take it for what it is.

BFD Dave is back...he's back because he kept his mouth shut and did what he was told. About as far from what Dave really is as humanly possible.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Liked 6,338 Times in 3,184 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I'm just curious if Dave has a confidentiality agreement.

Last Online

12.15.17 @ 01:33 PM
    Liked 1,615 Times in 993 Posts

Donor

Dead for me. Van Halen is just a name, it's not a band, and it hasn't been for a long time. Yeah I'm interested to hear the new music sure, but I take it for what it is.

BFD Dave is back...he's back because he kept his mouth shut and did what he was told. About as far from what Dave really is as humanly possible.
    Point, set, match. Hard to be more accurate than these two statements.

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by fuddman5150 View Post
    I'm just curious if Dave has a confidentiality agreement.
    I would bet the lives of myself and my family on it.
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

@

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by LLFHS View Post
    I would bet the lives of myself and my family on it.
    So no matter what, even if Ed was in fact DB Cooper, we will never hear it.

Last Online

Donor

God I hope Ed is related to DB Cooper.

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

@

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Van Bard View Post
    God I hope Ed is related to DB Cooper.
    At this point thats the least of his problems.

Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by fuddman5150 View Post
    At this point thats the least of his problems.
    Which guy?

Baluchitherium
    Last Online

10.01.15 @ 06:45 PM
    Liked 179 Times in 57 Posts

Mike's outing is likely the most vagrantly fucked up move in VHland to date ..but IMO VH has been fucking each other and fucking VH since 85.

I like all eras in various degrees but of course to me the real VH died in 85.
    Nothing else was the same. Only things that came close to it were the BOV1 tunes and the 07/08 tour. I enjoyed both immensely. Of course it's less than the greatness of what they were and "could have been" had they stayed together but the old sound and magic was there. They are older dudes but all things considered it was fantastic.

Without Mike and a much more laid back stage show it was still great, a taste of the good stuff and exceeded my expectations of what was possible. In fact I found it a great start and very encouraging. I'm sorry to those who this is fighting words but Dave, Al, Ed, and Wolf sound more like CVH than any era since CVH(bov1 tunes).

It's hard to explain how a band you like makes you feel. It's not totally tangible. I remember being a young lad and
    buying Led Zeppelin 2. Looking at the album art, hearing the music, the layers of amazing guitar...having my young band mates/friends at the time all mesmerized as well. It's just a overall feeling it gives you. A flavor. Same with Rush 2112 or Moving pictures. We were into that too. Same with other bands.The Blizzard of Oz album was a huge one for me. It's just a flavor you can't easily describe but you know how it felt to you. It's how I feel about CVH. With VH, buying and anticipating those albums new, seeing them on tour, finally getting cable w/ mtv hoping to see VH on it, lol seeing posters/Tshirts in Spencer's gifts or the Wildwood boardwalk shops. Only place to get the good ones then btw. lol Good memories. It's fun to reminisce. Their music still holds up!

So imagine after getting into Rush and listening to moving pictures a million times Geddy leaving and Kip winger replacing him. That intangible element of the sound, vibe and band you dug would have changed. For better or worse a definite change. (of course Geddy is not replaceable by Winger lol, age is wrong for one lol just an example). Imagine after getting into Zeppelin having Plant leave and being replaced by Steven Tyler(who I like). It's a totally different animal isn't it? There is no guarantee just because you loved everything about mach 1 you're going to love all the flavors of mach 2. Anyway It's how I feel about VH.

That CVH flavor isn't totally recaptured with Mike out and whatever else can be said but it's the closest thing to it since. Very close to it in some ways. DLR and EVH are a perfect fit. I can't change the bs in VH. I wouldn't be interested or here if I hated whats up and only had morbid passive interest as some here do. I'm excited to hear the main guys who created such cool albums/music create something together again. The main song writer's stand out performers are in the band and Ed and Al are one musically.

So for me VH isn't dead or the walking dead. I see hopes for new life and in the very least hope for a respectable swan song that touches on the magic of the band I fell in love with all those many years ago.