Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Right Now
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Seriously, how did they find that guy? I was thinking maybe EVH put a bunch of names of random people in a hat and drew his "musical soulmate". I always figured Cherone must have sent in most box tops or something and got the job. Does anyone know exactly how this guy got to be lead singer?
    How do I know when its love?<br />I can't tell you but it lasts forever.<br />How do I know when its love?<br />Its just somethin you feel together.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

10.24.05 @ 08:51 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It was Ray Danniels' bright idea. He was Extreme's manager. Extreme broke up. Ray used his Jedi mind trick on the brothers once again, and the rest is rock history.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

10.28.15 @ 05:22 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by dka5150:
    It was Ray Danniels' bright idea. He was Extreme's manager. Extreme broke up. Ray used his Jedi mind trick on the brothers once again, and the rest is rock history.
    No shit? If that's the case, it's no wonder Ed and Al are in seclusion. Talk about fucking Bozos...

Sinner's Swing! 79th and Sunset's Avatar
    Last Online

10.22.17 @ 12:35 PM
    Liked 16 Times in 4 Posts

Premium Member
    Look no further than Ray Daniels and the bros. Van Halen

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Apparently he kept Ed harder, longer then Sass Jordan... That must have been the contest." o Eddie baby..." hahaha

jim
    Life through someone elses eyes.<br /><a href="http://www.thehandthatsewstime.com" target="_blank">TheHandThatSewsTime.com</a>

Top Of The World
    Last Online

05.31.12 @ 04:45 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by dka5150:
    I know its this boards official past-time to put-down anything Gary related, but Gary was not a bad choice for a lead singer if Dave was not allowed back.

Let's go back to 1997 and recall some of the old Extreme songs like "Do You Want To Play" and "Get The Funk Out". At the time he seemed like a good fit.

The problem was Ed wanted to do something radically diferent than any VH albums before.

When you combine a new sound, with a new singer, with spoiled expectations of Dave's return, not to mention poor production, and the deck was stacked against Gary.

So the problem was not Gary, the problem was trying to do too much too soon. Is it any wonder they are taking such a slow approach now?
    "The last singer was a singer, I am THE singer" - DLR

Favorite VH Album

VH 1
    Last Online

11.19.16 @ 03:37 AM
    Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts

Donor

Well said Nerf. Gary is quality.
    Moronic thread.
    VAN HALEN...ROCK ON

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

02.24.06 @ 07:48 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I agree with you Nerf...I think VH tried to many radically different changes at one time for III to have been successful. If there had been a CD somewhere between Balance and III blending some of the styles, I think III would have sold (as well as been recieved) a whole lot better. On top of that, then you have a major letdown among the fans concerning the failed attempt of reforming with Dave. III was almost destined to fail before it ever got off the ground.
    As far as Gary getting the gig; I don't really think he was a bad choice, but I do think Ed should have let him sing more within his vocal range. Gary really is a great singer and song writer in his own right.
    [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

10.24.05 @ 08:51 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was a big fan of Extreme and anticipated the III album. "Without You" was a great song but the rest of the album fell flat. I don't hate Gary and I don't hate Ed. It is what it is, a failed experiement. "Chris Gaines" anyone?? Garth Brooks retired after that album, maybe because he figured fans wouldn't accept him any longer. At least he put out one more "farewell" record. Opinion: Ed should give us an official retirement announcement and one more album. I would be sad but at least we'd all get the closure that posters here desperately need. The End.

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Right Now
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Damn I had no idea Ray Danniels was Extreme AND Rush's manager. He didn't manage any more did he? And just so you know, I dont' have anything personal against Gary, except for the fact that he was not the best choice for Van Halen, considering that the majority of VH songs contain high notes and screams (both present in Dave and Sam eras). Cherone, like you said, has a much lower range and it would seem pretty stupid to hire a guy like him. The only VH song that I believe Cherone was made for was "Without You" and maybe "That's Why I Love You" (which was scrapped of course). I love those songs to be honest, but Cherone just didn't fit the part of a VH frontman and it makes me wonder how they could have selected him. Thus, my theory of him being a contest winner. Dave has always reminded me of a young (flamboyant) Robert Plant as he walked out on stage shirtless with that long blonde hair. Sam (in his long hair days) reminded me of an aged Robert Plant with his long curly locks. Cherone looks like a Backstreet boy. He didn't look or sound the part of a Classic Rock band frontman. But perhaps my observations are a bit biased since I've never been into the new teen music scene or appreciated modern rock/pop artists. Sorry if you misinterpreted my question, but I've always wonder what the answer could be. In the end, I guess it had to be Ray. Bastard....
    How do I know when its love?<br />I can't tell you but it lasts forever.<br />How do I know when its love?<br />Its just somethin you feel together.

Favorite VH Album

Balance, WACF
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being, Romeo Delight,
    Last Online

02.05.15 @ 12:19 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Gary was (and is) a decent guy who was thrust into a no-win situation. I'm sure most of you will agree he has handled his post-Van Halen career with class and dignity (Are you reading this Sam and Dave?!?!)
    "There is a fine line between stupid and clever" - Nigel Tufnel

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

02.24.06 @ 07:48 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I see what you're saying Chronarius, I agree with what you say about Gary not seeming to fit the front man role for VH. Good comparison for Sammy and Dave...Hadn't thought of that, but it makes perfect sense.
    How much of the decision for Gary to join VH was based upon Danniels?...as well as a lot of rock press (and fans as well) comparing Extreme with VH?

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Why Can\'t This Be Love
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Chronarius:
    Damn I had no idea Ray Danniels was Extreme AND Rush's manager. He didn't manage any more did he? And just so you know, I dont' have anything personal against Gary, except for the fact that he was not the best choice for Van Halen, considering that the majority of VH songs contain high notes and screams (both present in Dave and Sam eras). Cherone, like you said, has a much lower range and it would seem pretty stupid to hire a guy like him. The only VH song that I believe Cherone was made for was "Without You" and maybe "That's Why I Love You" (which was scrapped of course). I love those songs to be honest, but Cherone just didn't fit the part of a VH frontman and it makes me wonder how they could have selected him. Thus, my theory of him being a contest winner. Dave has always reminded me of a young (flamboyant) Robert Plant as he walked out on stage shirtless with that long blonde hair. Sam (in his long hair days) reminded me of an aged Robert Plant with his long curly locks. Cherone looks like a Backstreet boy. He didn't look or sound the part of a Classic Rock band frontman. But perhaps my observations are a bit biased since I've never been into the new teen music scene or appreciated modern rock/pop artists. Sorry if you misinterpreted my question, but I've always wonder what the answer could be. In the end, I guess it had to be Ray. Bastard....
    Ray Danniels only managed Extreme for the last year or two before they broke up.
    Right now, rock n' roll needs a swift kick in the...<br /><br />"Gimme a bottle o' anything... and a glazed donut... to go!"

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Here is a story that I read right around the time when Gary proclaimed that Tribe of Judah had become an official band. Gary was asked about his take on VH3 and he was saying that Eddie was inspired by a book of poems that he had written during the end of days with Extreme. Eddie liked it alot and made it VH3. Gary said that in no way was it premeditation for a Van Halen album, but that Eddie insisted that they use those lyrics. Gary further said that he felt that he really didn't feel he was at any point to place his two cents and make decisions. He said that when Roth and Hagar were in the band it was more or less a balance of power between the singers and the rest of the band. A mutual respect. Gary also mentioned that after the VH3 record and tour has been finished, they were in the early process of writing the next VH album which he said he had more input and started sounding like old Van Hale with Gary's true vocal abilities. He said that the new executives over at Warner Bros. were pushing for Van Hale to sound like something they are not and he got frustrated and left on his own will. Gary later said that he told Eddie to get Roth Back for a reunion tour for the fans and that after that was done, they (Ed, AL Mike and Gary) could continue the legacy without there being any hate towards the new incarnation of Van Hale. That was Gary's last suggestion and Eddie said no and Gary went home.
    "Welcome to the real world."

Favorite VH Album

'78 -'96 baby!
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs... Enough said
    Last Online

04.08.12 @ 05:51 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have nothing personal against Gary and firmly believe he is an outstanding vocalist. That being said, he was not good for Van Halen in any way, shape or form. Ray Daniels should be burnt at the stake for what he did to that band. VH III was not a good album, and it shouldn't be called such. I am tired of hearing how the production was the reason. You can polish a turd, but it is still a turd. I think they had something with Once, I just wish Sam would have had a chance with that one, because it was the only bright spot on the album and could have been great in a Genisis kind of way. Rock and Roll died the day Hagar was fired period.
    Those that say money cannot buy hapiness don't know where to shop.