Favorite VH Album

all of them
    Favorite VH Song

If its Eddie, its Van Halen
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 12:52 PM
    Liked 527 Times in 242 Posts

Default Leslie West Has Leg Amputated

BILOXI, Miss. — Leslie West, guitarist for the rock group Mountain and a 65-year-old diabetic, is recovering after his lower right leg was amputated.

The amputation Monday was needed to stop a septic infection that started in his foot, according to an e-mailed statement from his wife, Jenni West.

"The doctors tried for two days to save it to no avail," she wrote in the statement forwarded to The Associated Press by publicist Steve Karas. "The decision to amputate was one that was necessary to save his life as the infection was spreading throughout his body."

The infection was complicated by peripheral arterial disease and "blood clotting factors," she wrote.

Mountain was among the groups that played at the 1969 Woodstock festival. Early hits included "Mississippi Queen," "Never In My Life," "Theme From An Imaginary Western" and "Nantucket Sleighride." The group is widely credited as an early influence on heavy metal music.

The group split up in 1972 and West began a solo career which continued after the band re-formed in the 1980s. The original bassist, Felix Pappalardi, was killed in 1983.

The Wests married on stage after Mountain's performance at the Woodstock 40th anniversary concert in Bethel, New York.

Known for his girth in his younger days, Leslie West has slimmed down significantly over the years. He also has become a part of radio shock jock Howard Stern's circle, sometimes appearing on Stern's show.

Leslie West had been scheduled to perform with Mountain on Friday in Biloxi, "with future touring plans coming together to support the release of his next solo album `The Unusual Suspects,'" Karas wrote in an e-mail.

But after the flight to Biloxi, "his leg started to swell and go numb and turn blue. So they took him to the hospital Friday afternoon," said manager Bob Ringe.

The operation was performed at Ocean Springs Hospital, Jenni West wrote. "The nursing staff and doctors at Ocean Springs Hospital have taken excellent care of him and should be called angels for their efforts and tenderness they showed us in this time of crisis."

Karas said the release date for "The Unusual Suspects," which includes performances by drummer Kenny Aronoff and guitarists Billy Gibbons of ZZ Top, Slash, Zakk Wylde, Joe Bonamassa, and Steve Lukather, has not yet been set.

"We're still waiting on guidance on whether it'll be fall or early next year," he said.
    'Old Van Halen, when I was in it-classic Van Halen-makes you wanna drink, dance and screw, right? And the new Van Halen encourages you to drink milk, drive a Nissan and have a relationship.' - David Lee Roth.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:07 PM
    Liked 1,348 Times in 925 Posts

not really familiar with anything other than "Mississippi Queen", but obviously very familiar with the name Leslie West. All the best to him for a speedy recovery.

Favorite VH Album

Sound Magazine
    Favorite VH Song

I Think I Love You
    Last Online

06.07.15 @ 10:30 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

"While the rest of them dudes was a'gettin' their kicks,
    Buddy beg your pardon I was losing mine..."

Don't read this.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Somebody Get Me A Doctor
    Last Online

08.27.17 @ 09:39 AM
    Liked 185 Times in 105 Posts

I wish the best for him and his journey. I just hope Eddie doesn't want it to be kept in his freezer.
    Just go for it!

Favorite VH Album

Woman and children first
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 03:01 PM
    Liked 600 Times in 391 Posts

That's very sad.
    I used to listen to Leslie on Howard in the mid 90's, those were great interviews.
    Saw Leslie with Mountain when my friend Alex Skolnick's band opened for them at Berkeley Square in 1995.

Alex and i were right in front of Leslie during "Mississippi Queen" and we were rockin!!!!!

Iv'e loved Leslie's playing even since!
    My chat with Mike & Joe from Chickenfoot 1/7/12
    http://bit.ly/yyS5uq

With a real rockstar - Jason Becker.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ElJcDdgfT0

NEW single "Heavy Mellow" & The REMIX available on iTunes & worldwide on bandcamp!
    http://johnnybeane.wordpress.com/201...unes-bandcamp/

My bio.
    http://about.me/johnnybeane

"Like" me on Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/guitaristjohnnybeane

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:07 PM
    Liked 1,348 Times in 925 Posts

Default Leslie West on Leg Amputation: 'I Cried a Couple F--kin' Times'

from billboard.com:

Leslie West says that a looming new album in August and concert tour this fall have given him incentive to recover from having the bottom half of his right leg amputated last month.

"I don't think there is another attitude," the former Mountain man tells Billboard.com from the New Jersey rehabilitation facility where he's being taught how to live without the leg after it was removed just above the knee on June 20 in Memphis, due to complications from diabetes. "I cried a couple fuckin' times. I look down -- 'Where is it?!' You still feel the nerves and stuff like that. I had to make a decision -- lose my leg or lose my life. What are you gonna do?

"But I'll tell you," the guitarist adds, "it's a good thing it wasn't one of my arms. Then I'd be really fucked."

West, who's slated to return to his New Jersey apartment later this week, is going through two therapy sessions a day to help him develop upper body strength as well as more strength in his left leg. He's also being taught how to move himself from one point to another and is being trained to use both manual and motorized wheelchairs. He's also being fitted for a prosthetic, which he'll start using "down the road" and will require more instruction.

Meanwhile, West is taking a "one day at a time attitude" and is looking forward to the Aug. 13 release of "Unusual Suspects," a 12-song set that features guest appearances by Slash, ZZ Top's Billy Gibbons, Zakk Wylde, Toto's Steve Lukather and Joe Bonamassa, with Kenny Aronoff playing drums. Most of the songs are West originals, and the album also includes a bluesy cover of the Beatles' "I Feel Fine" and a rendition of the Eddie Boyd-Willie Dixon "Third Degree" with Bonamassa that was on the first West, Bruce and Laing album, "Why Dontcha'," in 1972.

"I'm glad the album was all done before (the leg amputation) happened, because...there's now way I would even care about doing an album if it wasn't," West says. "But I'm glad it's all done and it came out great and I'm really proud of it. Everybody on there is a top-flight guitar player. Each guy was an experience in itself...It was only up to me to fuck it up!"

West plans to support "Unusual Suspects" by returning to the road "by any means necessary." His first scheduled public appearance will be on release date, Aug. 13, at the Rock 'n' Roll Fantasy Camp in New York City. Meanwhile he's planning to tour in the fall with "two other guitar heroes;" details and dates are expected to be revealed soon.

"I'm hoping I'll have my prosthetic by then," West says, "but we'll see. Even with Mountain shows I did, I would stand and sit for the ballads and so on and so forth. But I could (stand) up. Now I have no idea what it's like because I haven't gotten that far yet. So we'll see what happens and just hope for the best."

Favorite VH Album

FUCK or 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine, 5150
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 12:34 PM
    Liked 1,885 Times in 1,102 Posts

I'm not really all that familiar with him to tell you teh truth, I do love me some Mississippi Queen and when he performed it with VH in 95...that was just fantastic.

I wish him well.