Register
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:43 PM
    Liked 2,238 Times in 1,356 Posts

Default Marilyn Monroe 7 Year Itch dress sells for 4.6 MILLION!

Who knew Debbie Reynolds had such awesome stuff stashed away.....amazing! and good for her...she's had some awful financial set backs and now she's going to be super comfortable, and know that her life's work will be appreciated.

http://www.profilesinhistory.com/

Just look at this stuff! Dorothy's Dress and ruby slippers...the Sound of Music Maria costume..The Mutiny on the Bounty uniforms ...the beautiful black and white dress from My Fair Lady

Marilyn Monroe's iconic dress sells for $4.6M
    June 19, 2011, 11:24 AM EST

WENN

Marilyn Monroe was still the toast of Hollywood on Saturday after her iconic white dress from "The Seven Year Itch" sold for an astonishing $4.6 million auction.

"Singin' In The Rain" legend Debbie Reynolds put the movie memorabilia she has collected during her career under the hammer in California, and film fans flocked to the sale to try and buy a piece of Hollywood history.

And it was Monroe who was still the big star turn at the sale when her buyers bidded big for her most famous on-screen outfits.

The white dress, which famously blew up as the star stood over a subway grate in the 1955 film, was the biggest money-spinner with a sale of $4.6 million, but her red sequin number from "Gentlemen Prefer Blondes" sold for $1.2 million, while her saloon costume from "River of No Return" was snapped up for $510,000.

Fellow late Hollywood legend Judy Garland was also a big draw: her blue cotton dress worn in "The Wizard of Oz" was sold for $910,000.

Other big sales included Charlie Chaplin's bowler hat, Elizabeth Taylor's riding outfit from "National Velvet" and Ingrid Bergman's "Joan of Arc" armor.

Saturday was the first of the auctions being held by Reynolds at Profiles in History.

survivor of the Bowling Green Massacre 9-3-2016 BGSU 10 OSU 77

She was warned. She was given an explanation. Nevertheless, she persisted.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Love 'em all! (esp. F.U.C.K)
    Favorite VH Song

The Dream Is Over
    Last Online

12.04.17 @ 04:15 PM
    Liked 1,228 Times in 845 Posts

God, I know - That Dress - amazing. Such a beautiful, timeless piece of design, emulated by ladies everywhere (I plan on taking something similar on holiday with me - though I can guarantee I won't look like Marilyn - more's the pity).

It's just a shame that this fabulous collection couldn't have been bought in its entirety and displayed somewhere for all of us to see, enjoy and appreciate.
    I'm FEMALE...Deal with it!

"Whatever you do, wherever you go, there you are..." Edward Van Halen 1986

"You spend the first part of your life trying to make your mark, and the second part just trying to cover up your tracks"... Weesfreewheelin, 2012

"Life's too short to stuff a mushroom"... Shirley Conran, 1975

"You turn if you want to...The LADY is NOT for turning!"...Margaret
    Thatcher, 1980

Last Online

10.23.15 @ 04:49 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

That collection is stunning. I looked through the catalog and it's unreal how extensive her collection is. The dresses are so beautiful and ornate, you have no idea how beautiful until you see them in the up close pictures and full color. Many of them looked like they were a different color in the stills from the movies that they were featured. I'm with you dibblekins, it's sad that the collection will be sold piece by piece instead of somehow keeping it together for display. There is so much history there. I really loved the gold dress from Hello Dolly. Unbelieveable.
    Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Love 'em all! (esp. F.U.C.K)
    Favorite VH Song

The Dream Is Over
    Last Online

12.04.17 @ 04:15 PM
    Liked 1,228 Times in 845 Posts

It's always the way, isn't it? Beautiful, unique artworks (for these outfits are certainly that) are bought up by anonymous collectors, never to be seen again...I really wish Debbie Reynolds had been able to fulfil her ambition of displaying the collection as they're so much part of (inter)national history and culture.
    I'm FEMALE...Deal with it!

"Whatever you do, wherever you go, there you are..." Edward Van Halen 1986

"You spend the first part of your life trying to make your mark, and the second part just trying to cover up your tracks"... Weesfreewheelin, 2012

"Life's too short to stuff a mushroom"... Shirley Conran, 1975

"You turn if you want to...The LADY is NOT for turning!"...Margaret
    Thatcher, 1980

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by loveevhsince79 View Post
    That collection is stunning. I looked through the catalog and it's unreal how extensive her collection is. The dresses are so beautiful and ornate, you have no idea how beautiful until you see them in the up close pictures and full color. Many of them looked like they were a different color in the stills from the movies that they were featured. I'm with you dibblekins, it's sad that the collection will be sold piece by piece instead of somehow keeping it together for display. There is so much history there. I really loved the gold dress from Hello Dolly. Unbelieveable.
    did you have the same "Oh my gosh!" reaction that I had when you went to another page and WHAM! Dorothy's dress..or the blue fringed costume from Meet Me in St Louis, or Harpo's hat and wig..some very nice memories of Sunday movies and to see that someone owned them and kept them safe is really cool.

The catalog is sold out, but the free downloadable version offers some really sweet surprises for any movie fan

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Hill View Post
    did you have the same "Oh my gosh!" reaction that I had when you went to another page and WHAM! Dorothy's dress..or the blue fringed costume from Meet Me in St Louis, or Harpo's hat and wig..some very nice memories of Sunday movies and to see that someone owned them and kept them safe is really cool.

The catalog is sold out, but the free downloadable version offers some really sweet surprises for any movie fan
    I absolutely did have the OMG reaction! And not just Dorothy's dress but her shoes! I wonder how and where she stored everything because most of the items look to be in perfect condition.Those dresses are truly works of art. They note that the Hello Dolly dress cost over $100K to make and is still to this day, the most expensive costume every made. The only thing missing I wish she had was the outfit that Elizabeth Taylor wore to go along with the headdress from Cleopatra. I wonder how much that headdress weighs??
    Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

the original ruby slippers made me laugh....the curled up toes! they reminded me of the munchkins shoes..... the "ruby pumps" were so much better!

that catalog has some really neat information in it
    the "Jo" dress from little women gave me a little "awe"...and can you believe she has Ingrid Bergman's Joan of Arc suit of armor?

and she didn't just stick with costumes...she has furniture from "The Good Earth" and Glenn Fords favorite saddle and a Model T used by Laurel and Hardy Howard Keel's Annie Get Your Gun rifle

I guess if you have the unique position of a living part of Hollywood History you have a special appreciation of all things hollywood

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:34 PM
    Liked 6,849 Times in 3,587 Posts

Premium Member

Maybe I need to read the beginning of the catalog, but this is all her collection, and not already museum items? It looks like she's selling a museum piece by piece... odd.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:35 PM
    Liked 1,350 Times in 926 Posts

Did she used to have these on display at the Desert Inn, or no?

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

When she was on Oprah, she said she started collecting these things to preserve them and as an investment for her retirement. She planned all along to sell these items off. She obviously knew what she was doing.

And yes Daisy, I was really surprised that she had that Model T. When I saw the armor suit, I kept thinking how did she get it on? It looked extremely uncomfortable. I think it will be fascinating to see how much she gets for all these things.

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:34 PM
    Liked 6,849 Times in 3,587 Posts

Premium Member

Fucking Sherlock Holmes coat. And Planet Of The Apes garb

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Number 47 View Post
    Maybe I need to read the beginning of the catalog, but this is all her collection, and not already museum items? It looks like she's selling a museum piece by piece... odd.
    I think that she promised to loan some things (like the monroe dress Cleopatra and My Fair Lady things) to a costume exhibit in London and they are asking that the purchaser honor those promises

Quote Originally Posted by billy007 View Post
    Did she used to have these on display at the Desert Inn, or no?
    Yeah, she had a rotating exhibit I believe, but it seems one of her husbands made some bad financial dealings and the hotel closed.