Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Last Online

06.03.17 @ 06:59 PM
    Liked 327 Times in 204 Posts

Default Summer Movies 2011

I haven't been to the movies in a while, but I plan on seeing a few this summer--the wife and I are planning on seeing The Hangover II or Bridesmaids this weekend.
    And, I gotta say, I'm a little intrigued about Super 8.
    I'm not really a super hero movie guy (unless Chris Nolan is directing ), but I usually end up watching them on DVD at a later time. For those of you who like them, you're certainly in luck this summer.

So I'm curious to see who's seen what and what they thought about what they've seen. Understand?

I have a feeling that this summer will be one of the most lucrative in a long time. With Pirates 4, Thor, X-Men, Captain America, Green Lantern, the final Harry Potter, Cars 2, Hangover 2, Fast Five, Kung Fu Panda 2, Cowboys vs. Aliens, Rise of the Planet of the Apes, Super 8, Transformers 3, Conan the Barbarian, etc. leading the way, I can't see how it can't be on the highest grossing summers in recent years.
    2-time Fantasy Baseball Champion.

Favorite VH Album

VH1
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

06.15.14 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Saw Thor and X-Men First Class and both were excellent. Well worth the money to go to the theatres for.
    You can twist perceptions
    Reality won't budge

Eruption
    Last Online

01.10.13 @ 08:45 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I saw Bridesmaids last Friday and I loved it, sooo funny!! I was also surprised how much the story was really more about friendship than anything marriage related. Melissa McCarthy was absolutely brilliant in this movie and stole every scene she was in. It was a 2 hour movie but it flew by.

Last Online

06.12.15 @ 12:43 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

I go to studio movie grill for margarita night every Monday, I like that they release about one good movie a week

I really enjoyed X-men first class.

bridesmaids, hangover II, Thor, all were good.. nothing spectacular, but good.

Priates, I thought was best since the first.. less conviluted story... but he still missing the swagger and humor the first one captured

My biggest complaint, Hollywood seems to have a hard time writing good endings.
    Last edited by Mikey Metalhead; 06.09.11 at 01:21 PM.
    I SURVIVED TEXAS LINKERS WEEKEND I, II, III, IV and VI and VII.barely made it to VIII time to slow down
    I musta had a broken middle finger for V
    http://www.youtube.com/user/daneph

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 05:27 PM
    Liked 18,114 Times in 8,948 Posts

I didn't think Hangover II was really that funny.

If you have seen the Hangover, you have seen Hangover II.

Exact same plot, different location.

The joke isn't as funny if you have heard it before.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Panama Dog View Post
    Saw Thor and X-Men First Class and both were excellent. Well worth the money to go to the theatres for.
    Those were really the only films I'm interested in plunking down 12 beans to see this summer. Thor - done (very entertaining!). Still gotta set aside a weekend to see X-Men.

I might see Pirates, but I'm still smarting from that last one.
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Favorite VH Album

5150, Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance The Night Away, Dreams
    Last Online

11.02.17 @ 09:45 PM
    Liked 28 Times in 9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LLFHS View Post
    Those were really the only films I'm interested in plunking down 12 beans to see this summer. Thor - done (very entertaining!). Still gotta set aside a weekend to see X-Men.

I might see Pirates, but I'm still smarting from that last one.
    I'm still smarting from the 2nd one. I didn't even bother seeing the 3rd after that. I still call it, "The Movie That Wouldn't End!", and I was ready for it to end about an hour into it.
    "Viking - last to sleep, first to rise, last to leave, that's how the Nords of old rocked the house." ~ timmac in the 'Texas Linkers' thread talking about yours truly. :-)

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II/OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Good Enough/Little Guitars
    Last Online

06.25.15 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 42 Times in 11 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    I didn't think Hangover II was really that funny.

If you have seen the Hangover, you have seen Hangover II.

Exact same plot, different location.

The joke isn't as funny if you have heard it before.
    ^ This.

Same exact damn movie, just a bit more vulgar with a cleaner gloss.
    "I respect that youre passionate about this but what your saying is complete idiocy..." - MF5150 on McDonald's "preying" on young kids.

"He was born a human, he's a horse's ass by proxy." - It's Mike on Eddymon.

Favorite VH Album

5150, OU812, Balance, F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

Dont have one
    Last Online

08.28.16 @ 11:47 PM
    Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts

Movies Ive seen this summer
    Fast Five - Kicked A LOT of ass. They left it open for another one which threw me off.
    Pirates 4 - Eh, not as good as the first 3. Different director. Different story. Almost captured the feeling of the originals but by itself, it wasnt bad.
    Thor - Pretty cool. Im not too familiar with Thor but I dug it. I cant wait for the avengers though!

Movies I want to see this summer
    Transformers 3 - Megan Fox might be missed but from what I have seen in the trailers, this one is looking pretty sweet
    Captain America - This just looks awesome
    Green Lantern - I was skeptical at first about this but the more I watch the trailers, the more I want to see it
    Hangover 2 - It may be the same plot in a different location. Doesnt mean its any less funny
    X-Men - After seeing the first 3 movies, Wolverine origins, I guess I kinda have to see this one dont I?
    Rise of the Planet of the Apes - This one looks good just because we have never known how the apes got so smart

Movies I MIGHT pass on this summer
    Kung Fu Panda 2 - Never saw the first one
    Harry Potter - I would LIKE to skip this one but I have a feeling im going to get dragged to it anyways on multiple occasions
    Cowboys vs. Aliens - I love harrison ford. I love daniel craig. But for some reason, im not too sure about this. Im probably wrong about it but I just hope it isnt super cheesy.
    Super 8 - Eh, looks alright. Nothing I have to kill to see though
    Conan - If it was Conan O'Brien, i'd be all over it but the cheese factor for this one might be a little high for me.
    Cars 2 - Eh, not really interesting. I'll catch it on netflix when it comes out.
    Facebook http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=504401115
    YouTube http://www.youtube.com/user/jedimasterkyle

BOISE STATE BRONCOS! - They're awesome. Deal with it!

11/16/04 - VAN HALEN in Boise, Idaho. Changed my life forever

8/8/06 - Sammy Hagar and the Wabos w/Michael Anthony in Boise, Idaho. Sam and Mike still kick ass

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 04:19 PM
    Liked 6,825 Times in 3,568 Posts

Premium Member

Default Green Lantern

Normally I'd run right out to catch a flick like Green Lantern. Hal Jordan is a long time favorite from youth, behind Batman of course, and maybe only Doom Patrol and Red Tornado... but I'm just not buying what I've seen of Ryan Reynolds as Space Sector 2814's protector. The suit doesn't look right, Reynolds in the mask looks goofy, and the scene they've been showing of him power ringing into the uniform like a cocky frat boy is nerve wracking. The The Guardians and The GL Corps were always good space opera, and I'm glad to see them featured in the movie, but I'm just a bit worried about how they will mix the light comedy with what should be a slightly more serious story. How's that for exposing my inner comic book geek?

I really hope they get it half right and people like it... there is so much potential for franchise here. Marvel fucked up the Hulk pretty good, and Lantern has the same ill feeling about it.

As a good summer popcorn movie, it should at least have a decent four week run, but I fear it will clean up and be forgotten in two.

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 04:19 PM
    Liked 6,825 Times in 3,568 Posts

Premium Member

Remember a time when we all wished they would make a good super hero movie... any super hero!

Now they're stuffing them down our throat's.

Last Online

06.03.17 @ 06:59 PM
    Liked 327 Times in 204 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Number 47 View Post
    Remember a time when we all wished they would make a good super hero movie... any super hero!

Now they're stuffing them down our throat's.
    Yeah, no kidding. I wish I was more into super hero movies. Although I'm looking forward to the next Batman flick.

Captain America is the only one that looks interesting to me this summer. Although I heard the new X-Men is incredible....and I've even heard it from wives of friends that got dragged to go see it. So I think that says a lot.

I suppose I'm curious about Super 8 because it has the look and feel of an 80's Spielberg film.
    I will be going to see Horrible Bosses which comes out later this summer. Looks funny.

I have a feeling I'll be going to see Transformers. They don't contain great storylines or acting but they are visually pretty fuckin' cool (afterall, it's Michael Bay). And they go good with popcorn.
    Last edited by jimmy812; 06.09.11 at 06:10 PM.
    2-time Fantasy Baseball Champion.

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 531 Times in 278 Posts

Super 8 is easily the best, most entertaining movie thus far this Summer. Really reminded me of early 80's action/sci-fi/fantasy movies. Evokes movies like The Lost Boys, Goonies, ET, etc in regards to a group of geeky young teens being placed in an utterly fantastic situation. It's not perfect - at times it feels like you're watching two separate films when the creature and the kid's plots kind of go off in their own directions, but it comes together when it really needs to.

X-Men First Class was pretty good. I can't rave about it like some have, but it *is* well done, mostly very entertaining and well cast. The actor who plays a young Magneto easily owns the movie. Thor was imo, actually a bit better, mainly because it was "new," in that the X-Men franchise has already seen 4 movies including the terrible Wolverine stand-alone flick.

Pirates 4 I thought was a dull, noisy thud of a movie. It just seemed like an unnecessary sequel to a finished trilogy. No edge to Depp's take on Jack Sparrow in this one, imo.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

11.25.14 @ 09:53 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Premium Member

I saw X-men last night and I enjoyed it-nothing great mind you (the cameo was great). Hangover 2 was muh-they should've not made it. Kung Fu Panda was a great kid's movie. Looking forward to Larry Crowne, Green Lantern, Cowboys and Aliens, and The Change Up-honorable mention to Fright Night, Horrible Bosses, and Bad Teacher.
    LSU Tigers 2003 & 2007 National Champs
    Detroit Pistons 2004 NBA Champs

If looks could kill, I'd stare at everybody!

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Love 'em all! (esp. F.U.C.K)
    Favorite VH Song

The Dream Is Over
    Last Online

12.04.17 @ 04:15 PM
    Liked 1,228 Times in 845 Posts

I have no doubt we'll be going to see Cars 2 at some point - Sprog has been looking forward to it for so long, it's practically got religious status in our house!
    I'm FEMALE...Deal with it!

"Whatever you do, wherever you go, there you are..." Edward Van Halen 1986

"You spend the first part of your life trying to make your mark, and the second part just trying to cover up your tracks"... Weesfreewheelin, 2012

"Life's too short to stuff a mushroom"... Shirley Conran, 1975

"You turn if you want to...The LADY is NOT for turning!"...Margaret
    Thatcher, 1980