Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Delta Air Lines' Baggage Fees, Shame On You...

Two U.S. soldiers returning home from deployment in Afghanistan said Delta Air Lines charged their unit hundreds of dollars in extra baggage fees – money that many of the soldiers did not have.

Staff Sgts. Fred Hilliker and Robert O’Hair filmed a video onboard Flight 1625 and posted it on YouTube.

They criticized Delta for the additional charges, complaining that the 34 soldiers were charged as much as $2,800 in baggage fees.

“We were frustrated with the situation,” O’Hair told Fox News Radio. “Honestly, we were just trying to get home.” O’Hair said the trouble started Tuesday during an 18-hour layover in Baltimore.

His unit was heading back to Fort Polk, La., after a deployment in Afghanistan. O’Hair said their military orders stated that each soldier was allowed to check up to four bags free of charge. But the Delta agent told the soldiers they would have to pay for the fourth bag.

“My extra bag was my weapons case,” he said. “I had my assault rifle, a grenade launcher and a 9-mm. pistol.”

According to Delta’s website, military personnel flying in coach on travel orders are allowed to only check three bags free of charge.

But O’Hair said that’s not what their military orders stated. He said the baggage fee posed an immediate financial hardship for the soldiers and many of them expressed immediate “irritation, frustration and shock.”

“A lot of the guys didn’t bring credit cards because, heck, how much do we need credit cards in Afghanistan,” he asked. “It was an unexpected price and the fact they were going against what our military orders stated.”

After the video was posted on YouTube, Delta issued a statement on its company blog apologizing to the soldiers and noting, “How deeply Delta respects and admires the men and women who fight every day for our country.”

“We would like to publicly apologize to those servicemen and women for any miscommunication regarding our current policies, as well as any inconvenience we may have caused,” the online statement read. “We are currently looking further into the situation, and will be reaching out to each of them personally to address their concerns and work to correct any issues they have faced.” Delta did not say if they would reimburse the soldiers.

The Veterans of Foreign Wars told Fox News Radio that Delta’s fee was the “worst welcome home any soldier could receive.”

“We know this is a business issue and that the troops will be reimbursed if they are authorized additional baggage in their orders,” said VFW spokesman Joe Davis. “But the shock of even being charged is enough to make most servicemen and women to simply shake their heads and wonder who or what it is they are protecting.”

Since many of the troops did not have cash to pay the fee, O’Hair said their Lt. Colonel ended up paying hundreds of dollars for the ones who couldn’t afford the price.

And while the soldiers are expected to be reimbursed by the military, O’Hair said it could take weeks for them to get that money – putting a financial hardship on some military families.

“Luckily I was able to pay it and I can wait for my reimbursement,” he said. “But what about a Private coming back home? A lot of these Privates are living paycheck to paycheck. They have kids to support and they need that $200.”

O’Hair said he posted the video out of frustration for what happened. He wants Delta to “change the policy and honor what the (military) orders say.”

The baggage fees "seem to be unusual," Col. Thomas Collins, a spokesman for the Army, told Fox News Radio.

“Historically, the airlines have been gracious in waiving baggage fees for our troops deploying to Iraq and Afghanistan,” he said. “We hope Delta does what’s right here and waives the fees for deploying troops.”

Collins said there are options if the fees are not waived.

“If Delta won’t waive the fee, the soldiers can submit paperwork through their chain of command and the government will reimburse them,” he said.
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 04:06 PM
    Liked 2,236 Times in 1,354 Posts

I once traveled out west and had to pay an over weight bag charge...on the return trip...same bag...same contents but this time I was told that in order to get out of a $25 over weight bag fee, had to lighten up the bag by taking out a book......one hardcover book! If the person at the airline had not told me that I was over by ounces I would have had to pay it again

so I paid $25 to get a book to California...the same book I carried on with me on the return trip

but THIS...THIS is bullshit....you know that there was SOMEONE at that airport who could waive those fees for those soldiers

very very very very poor judgement Delta, you bloodsucking sons of bitches

survivor of the Bowling Green Massacre 9-3-2016 BGSU 10 OSU 77

She was warned. She was given an explanation. Nevertheless, she persisted.

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

Pretty goddamned disgraceful.
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

All of them
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 10:30 AM
    Liked 2,299 Times in 1,256 Posts

This could be part of Delta's problem......

Not suprised by this story at all.

HH<-----Glad these guys embarrassed Delta. Eat crow now muthfuckers---------------
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    VH LINKS Resident Paramedic/Firefighter
    #officialhashtaghater
    Copyright holder of all things, "<-----------------"

UC<------Goal in life to be included in an HH sig-----

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Delta Air Lines Changes Policy After Charging Soldiers Returning From Afghanistan Thousands for Extra Luggage

UPDATE: Delta Air Lines announced Wednesday they will allow American troops to check four bags free of charge.

The decision came amid public outcry when an Army unit returning from deployment in Afghanistan was charged a total of $2,800 in extra baggage fees.

“We would like to publicly apologize to those service men and women for any miscommunication regarding our current policies as well as any inconvenience we may have caused,” read an earlier statement posted on Delta’s blog.

“We are currently looking further into the situation, and will be reaching out to each of them personally to address their concerns and work to correct any issues they have faced.”

The reversal came just one day after two soldiers, Staff Sgts. Fred Hilliker and Robert O’Hair, filmed a video onboard Flight 1625 and posted it on YouTube.
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained, DOA
    Last Online

06.14.17 @ 06:46 PM
    Liked 23 Times in 9 Posts

Donor

Once again a company with no sense of p.r. Why do businesses continuosly do things that will bring nothing but negative publicity?

Last Online

06.03.17 @ 06:59 PM
    Liked 327 Times in 204 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by voivod View Post
    Delta Air Lines Changes Policy After Charging Soldiers Returning From Afghanistan Thousands for Extra Luggage

UPDATE: Delta Air Lines announced Wednesday they will allow American troops to check four bags free of charge.

The decision came amid public outcry when an Army unit returning from deployment in Afghanistan was charged a total of $2,800 in extra baggage fees.

“We would like to publicly apologize to those service men and women for any miscommunication regarding our current policies as well as any inconvenience we may have caused,” read an earlier statement posted on Delta’s blog.

“We are currently looking further into the situation, and will be reaching out to each of them personally to address their concerns and work to correct any issues they have faced.”

The reversal came just one day after two soldiers, Staff Sgts. Fred Hilliker and Robert O’Hair, filmed a video onboard Flight 1625 and posted it on YouTube.
    Looks like the YouTube video is down. But I think the damage was done. I mean, this news story is already out there. And with every broadcast more people are giving Delta a thumbs down. Fuck Delta!

It's disrespectful to be charging these soldiers anything 'extra' after what they are doing for us.

Let this also be a reminder that YouTube can be a powerful tool. Let's see how can we use it to get them to lower the gas prices?
    2-time Fantasy Baseball Champion.

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 03:35 PM
    Liked 2,386 Times in 1,488 Posts

Premium Member

I have had so many problems over the years with Delta. I avoid them. Their miles progam is good but you can never get the flight you want when you redeem them.
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K. 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Feels So Good (deal with it...
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 09:21 AM
    Liked 426 Times in 228 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Hill View Post
    but THIS...THIS is bullshit....you know that there was SOMEONE at that airport who could waive those fees for those soldiers

This is the real question in my mind. Was it Delta as a whole that made them pay or was this some fuck wad at the departing airport? I only ask this because I live this every day. Some of the customer service people that work at my company single handedly fuck us on a daily basis by misquoting a customer or mis-interpreting a policy or procedure. It is these one-off retards that can bring a company's reputation to the ground instantly. I am not questioning Delta's ownership of this issue...just curious as to the full story. We tend to take these news items and run with them. I am guessing Delta didn't send out a memo to all their people stating they had to charge the soldiers etc. Regardless...they are going to wear this.
    Signature not currently available. You aren't missing much.