Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Default FIRED!! "dereliction of duty."

It was a Saturday on campus when David Sedmak, a Rice University police officer, heard "Officer down, officer down!" on his scanner: Two members of the Houston Police Department had been shot downtown. Sedmak rushed to the scene to help his fellow officers.

But Rice didn't see Sedmak as a hero. Instead, the university fired him, citing "dereliction of duty."

The university said in a statement that its officers often assist other law enforcement agencies when the need arises. But Sedmak erred, it said, by not informing the university police dispatcher about where he was.

"Sedmak left his post when only two other officers were on duty and failed to notify his supervisor of his whereabouts for nearly an hour, which could have endangered the safety of our students and campus," according to the university.

The May 7 episode that led to Sedmak's controversial dismissal began when Jesse Brown, 20, was seen with a pistol as he tried to buy a ticket at the Greyhound bus station in downtown Houston. When HPD officer Fernando Meza, working an off-duty job at the station, confronted Brown about the weapon, Brown shot him in the hand. Soon after, Brown shot another officer, Timothy Moore, in the leg.

Sedmak said he arrived on the scene and prepared for a confrontation with the armed suspect. Several HPD officers came in after him and took cover behind his patrol car. Brown, who had been accused of shooting a 3-year-old girl, her grandfather and another man on Halloween in San Francisco, then shot and killed himself as Sedmak and the other cops closed in.

Both Meza and Moore were at a news conference Monday to show their support for Sedmak, a former Galveston police officer. The Houston Police Officer's Union presented him with a $2,500 check to help as he looks for new work.

Sedmak was stunned by the dismissal. "My only concern on that day was to render aid to these two officers," he said. "Quite frankly, I couldn't believe that after being in law enforcement for nearly 17 years that I was being relieved of my duty for running an assist to an officer."

Kevin Lawrence of the Texas Municipal Police Association agreed. "You don't fire a guy for this unless he's a chronic disciplinary problem," Lawrence said. "You call him in, you counsel him and you put him back out there. If he's a good cop, he's a good employee. You use this as a training opportunity."
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

This is a no-brainer. The guy will be hired somewhere else where his dedication is appreciated.

Rice University can blow balls.
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained, DOA
    Last Online

06.14.17 @ 06:46 PM
    Liked 23 Times in 9 Posts

Donor

Another great p.r. Move. Who makes the dumb decisions?

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.19.16 @ 05:15 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Donor

What do ya expect out of a government operation?

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

http://www.tmpa.org/RUPDSedmak.aspx

Rice University criticized for police officer's firing

Law enforcement leaders are stepping up criticism of Rice University's firing of a police officer who responded to an armed standoff off-campus last month with a man who shot two HPD officers before turning the gun on himself.

Rice University terminated the officer, David Sedmak, for dereliction of duty for leaving his post to get to the call near the downtown Greyhound station. Sedmak responded to the scene when he heard the call on his police scanner.

Dismissal stunned man
    "You don't fire a guy for this unless he's a chronic disciplinary problem," said Kevin Lawrence, executive director of the Texas Municipal Police Association, at a news conference Monday. "You call him in, you counsel him and you put him back out there (to work). If he's a good cop, he's a good employee. You use this as a training opportunity."

On May 7, the suspect, Jesse Brown, 20, was spotted with a pistol as he tried to buy a ticket at the Greyhound station at 2121 Main.

Brown shot Houston police officer Fernando Meza, who was working an off-duty job at the bus station and confronted Brown about the pistol. Meza was hit in the hand. Moments later, Brown also shot Houston police officer Timothy Moore in the leg outside a nearby McDonald's. The two officers joined about 25 other police officials Monday in a show of support.

"In this case, Officer Sedmak's reward was he was fired," said Ray Hunt, vice president of the Houston Police Officers Union.

Hunt presented Sedmak with a $2,500 check Monday to help him as he tries to land another job.

Sedmak said he was astounded to learn he was being fired for helping fellow officers in distress.

"My only concern on that day was to render aid to these two officers," he said. "... Quite frankly, I couldn't believe that after being in law enforcement for nearly 17 years that I was being relieved of my duty for running an assist to an officer.

"There's been a lot of talk about me being a hero, and I just want to say personally that the real heroes here are these two officers and the job that they performed on that day," said Sedmak, a former Galveston police officer.

University's response
    University spokesman B.J. Almond declined to comment about Sedmak's firing, but he provided a statement from the university.

"As a matter of policy, Rice University does not comment on personnel matters," the statement reads. "However, out of respect for the Houston Police Department, we want to clarify that David Sedmak was terminated from the Rice University Police Department for dereliction of duty. Sedmak left his post when only two other officers were on duty and failed to notify his supervisor of his whereabouts for nearly an hour, which could have endangered the safety of our students and campus."

Almond said that Rice University police officers frequently assist other law enforcement agencies near the university on a case-by-case basis. In the first five months of 2011, the department responded to 37 calls for help from adjacent police agencies.

"In all instances, Rice officers are required to promptly notify the RUPD dispatcher of their location and the situation ... (to) ensure that enough officers are on duty on campus to protect the safety of our students and employees," according to the statement.
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Last Online

06.03.17 @ 06:59 PM
    Liked 327 Times in 204 Posts

Cuz the university needs all of its officers at their posts at all times. You never know when these crazy drunken frat boys are going to run around the campus naked with bing cherries up their asses.
    2-time Fantasy Baseball Champion.

Massachusetts by way of the Great State of New Jersey
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Changes with the day
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 06:12 AM
    Liked 529 Times in 317 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I wouldn't be shocked if there's more to it. I would doubt he's a first time offender as far as disappearing off the radar.

And what he did was wrong - how hard is it to radio where you are? Wouldn't all officers do that responding to a call? Of course dispatcher needs to know who's where, as do those in charge.

There's more there. If not, shame on the University - I would agree with the comment that it's a training opportunity. But that's why I think there's history here, which Rice CANNOT discuss.

That's one of the things that really sucks about these situations - the company can't really say shit, the fired employee can go on and on giving his "story". Makes it all a very one sided portrayal.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH, WACF, FW, 5150, OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams/Unchained/InASR/5150
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 04:30 AM
    Liked 298 Times in 161 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jrk5150 View Post
    I wouldn't be shocked if there's more to it. I would doubt he's a first time offender as far as disappearing off the radar.

And what he did was wrong - how hard is it to radio where you are? Wouldn't all officers do that responding to a call? Of course dispatcher needs to know who's where, as do those in charge.

There's more there. If not, shame on the University - I would agree with the comment that it's a training opportunity. But that's why I think there's history here, which Rice CANNOT discuss.

That's one of the things that really sucks about these situations - the company can't really say shit, the fired employee can go on and on giving his "story". Makes it all a very one sided portrayal.
    You bet: you get the abbreviated version - because it's a soundbite world - of the story from the side that was "slighted" and that's what people latch on to. Then, when the other party tells their side of the story, it's often considered CYA, when in reality, it's more like damage control.

I'm with you, jrk: I'm sure there's more to this story.

"The shit I read on this site." -- Dave's Dreidel (Nov 6th, 2013)

"Don't ever confuse talent with fame." -- Bob Lefsetz

"There's very little greatness in this world, but in the crucible of quality there's a special corner reserved for Van Halen." -- Bob Lefsetz